Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #2351
bboylocob
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 151809
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: New Orleans
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
Black

Default

Its awd all wheels need to be the same diameter
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bboylocob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #2352
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphawolf26 View Post
Question guys and sorry if its stupid.. But is it bad for a subie to have different size tires on the back than on the front? Ive got 245/40/18 on the back and 215/45/18 in the front since i needed two front tires asap i got those, please let me know what you think?
you need to have the same sized wheels and tires on all corners.

if you cant afford to properly R&R your car, you can't afford the car.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #2353
japanesestar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 212037
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SE Mich
Vehicle:
2005 wrx sedan
black

Default

According to my quick math, they are only .1 inches in diameter different. However, that does not mean it's ok. Sidewall stiffness alone will differentiate them once weight is put on them. Maybe in an emergency, but not for any extended driving. Unless of course you can afford to potentially damage something.
japanesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #2354
Alphawolf26
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347300
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Manteca CA
Vehicle:
2003 2.5RS
MBP

Default

Thanks for the advise guys, im a little low on cash with bills and stuff, how immediately should i change them? Because if its really bad, ill max my credit card tmrw haha ive only driving two days on them
Alphawolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #2355
Psychoreo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 79643
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Cromwell
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STI
Terminal black pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphawolf26 View Post
Thanks for the advise guys, im a little low on cash with bills and stuff, how immediately should i change them? Because if its really bad, ill max my credit card tmrw haha ive only driving two days on them
What's cheaper? 2 more tires or replacing your center differential?
Psychoreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #2356
Scargod
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260314
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: S central CT, New England
Vehicle:
2008 STI hatch
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphawolf26 View Post
Thanks for the advise guys, im a little low on cash with bills and stuff, how immediately should i change them? Because if its really bad, ill max my credit card tmrw haha ive only driving two days on them
Percentage-wise, I do not know when the front to rear ratio difference will start doing immediate damage. If you think about it, you have different ratios as you turn. It changes as the tires wear. It may be way off when you run your spare. It is not good because you are making the differential work harder than it's designed to. It could cause heat buildup if seriously different.
I would get a piece of ribbon or a soft sewing tape measure and see what you have. Drive over it and then measure the circumference of front and rear tires. Then you will know the real difference. That might give you some peace of mind... or not.
One of the problems with this tire mismatch is poor driving characteristics you are likely to encounter. When different tires are mixed you get into differing sidewall responses. This can result in annoying behavior or downright scary behavior at differing speeds and during turns. I once put just different brands of tires on the front and back of a Chevy Nova street rod and it got downright scary to drive after forty MPH. It started this uncontrollable weaving oscillation!
Then there's the fact that a WRX understeers already. You are making that worse with a smaller tire up front.
Scargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #2357
Alphawolf26
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 347300
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Manteca CA
Vehicle:
2003 2.5RS
MBP

Default

Thanks a lot guys, i really appreciate it, im new to the whole wheel fitment thing but getting there aha i changed my front two just recently now they are all black lion 235/40/18
Alphawolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #2358
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanesestar View Post
According to my quick math, they are only .1 inches in diameter different. However, that does not mean it's ok. Sidewall stiffness alone will differentiate them once weight is put on them. Maybe in an emergency, but not for any extended driving. Unless of course you can afford to potentially damage something.
mathmatically.....

not all tires are created equal. most manufacturers specs will vary from the advertised specs anywhere from 1-3mm even up to 10mm some times. the advertised sizing is only a standardization for the naming/fitment conventions.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #2359
japanesestar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 212037
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SE Mich
Vehicle:
2005 wrx sedan
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by4life View Post

mathmatically.....

not all tires are created equal. most manufacturers specs will vary from the advertised specs anywhere from 1-3mm even up to 10mm some times. the advertised sizing is only a standardization for the naming/fitment conventions.
Touche.

I do understand that...I should have been more clear about that. I was merely trying to point out the fact that they might work on paper, but that doesn't mean they will on the road. Now that you mention it, all the manufacturers list exact measurements for their tires and it is remarkable how much the "same size" tires will vary in all dimensions from width and tread depth and overall height.
japanesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #2360
deanwrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 188997
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
02 Booger Eye
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanesestar View Post
...all the manufacturers list exact measurements for their tires and it is remarkable how much the "same size" tires will vary in all dimensions from width and tread depth and overall height.
And even this is not necessarily reliable. You have to measure them in person.
deanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #2361
fedex23
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 133204
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Eugene, OR
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR CGM
356hp/403tq... FTW tuned

Default

year:2006
model:WRX
wheel model:Enkei Kojin
wheel size/offset:18x9.5+45
tire brand/model:Cont DWS
tire size:255/35/18
suspension:Tein H-tech
alignment:06-07 STI specs
fender mods:Willing to roll if needed
spacers:NO

Is this possible without a pull? Do I need to go with a different size tire or just stick with a 9 in width? Thanks guys.
fedex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #2362
prescottn6ft7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268918
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

year:2004
model:WRX STi
wheel model:Rota T2R
wheel size/offset:18x9.5+38
tire brand/model:Falken Ziex 612
tire size:245/40/18
suspension:Tein S-tech fronts, RCE Yellow rear
alignment:-2 camber in front -1 in rear 0 toe
fender mods:rolled rear flat
spacers:none

prescottn6ft7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #2363
paukert11
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 327666
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: El Segundo
Vehicle:
02 slow psmwagon

Default

looks good.
paukert11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #2364
fedex23
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 133204
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Eugene, OR
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR CGM
356hp/403tq... FTW tuned

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedex23 View Post
year:2006
model:WRX
wheel model:Enkei Kojin
wheel size/offset:18x9.5+45
tire brand/model:Cont DWS
tire size:255/35/18
suspension:Tein H-tech
alignment:06-07 STI specs
fender mods:Willing to roll if needed
spacers:NO

Is this possible without a pull? Do I need to go with a different size tire or just stick with a 9 in width? Thanks guys.
[quote=prescottn6ft7;39691473]year:2004
model:WRX STi
wheel model:Rota T2R
wheel size/offset:18x9.5+38
tire brand/model:Falken Ziex 612
tire size:245/40/18
suspension:Tein S-tech fronts, RCE Yellow rear
alignment:-2 camber in front -1 in rear 0 toe
fender mods:rolled rear flat
spacers:none


Do you think I would have any problems with the inner clearance with the+45?
fedex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #2365
prescottn6ft7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268918
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

I don't think you would be able to dial in the camber you'd need without the tires hitting the struts. I can barely fit a penny in-between my 245's and the struts in the rear and thats with just -1 degrees of camber. So yeah, even with 5mm spacers I believe you would have issues with this offset. If you got them on the car with no rubbing it'd still look a little goofy in the back.
prescottn6ft7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #2366
fedex23
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 133204
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Eugene, OR
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR CGM
356hp/403tq... FTW tuned

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottn6ft7 View Post
I don't think you would be able to dial in the camber you'd need without the tires hitting the struts. I can barely fit a penny in-between my 245's and the struts in the rear and thats with just -1 degrees of camber. So yeah, even with 5mm spacers I believe you would have issues with this offset. If you got them on the car with no rubbing it'd still look a little goofy in the back.

That's what I was looking for, thanks man. Guess I'll just stick with 9in wide or less wheel. By the way, your car looks good.
fedex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #2367
bugeyeryan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 343656
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Vehicle:
02 WRX
WRB, 02c

Default

model:2002 WRX Sedan
wheel model: XXR 527
wheel size/offset: 17x9.75 +35
tire brand/model: TBD
tire size: 225/45/17
suspension: BC BR Types
fender mods: Rolled
spacers: yes/no? none planned

Will this work?[/quote]
bugeyeryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #2368
SUBYS R US
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 99591
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Layton,UT
Vehicle:
2003 18g w/38EWG
PSM(siver)

Default

This is what i have and want to do. What else will i need to do for this to work?
year:03
model:WRX
wheel model:Rota d
wheel size/offset:18x9.5 +40
tire brand/model:
tire size:235/40/18
suspension:tein super street with pillow mounts full drop
alignment:
fender mods:no
spacers: no

Thanks,
Mike
SUBYS R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #2369
prescottn6ft7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268918
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyeryan View Post
model:2002 WRX Sedan
wheel model: XXR 527
wheel size/offset: 17x9.75 +35
tire brand/model: TBD
tire size: 225/45/17
suspension: BC BR Types
fender mods: Rolled
spacers: yes/no? none planned

Will this work?
[/quote]

read this thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2285133

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBYS R US View Post
This is what i have and want to do. What else will i need to do for this to work?
year:03
model:WRX
wheel model:Rota d
wheel size/offset:18x9.5 +40
tire brand/model:
tire size:235/40/18
suspension:tein super street with pillow mounts full drop
alignment:
fender mods:no
spacers: no

Thanks,
Mike
What do you mean by "full drop" You'll have to roll and maybe even slightly pull the rear with at least -2 degrees of camber all around, you'll also be hitting the fender liners in the front with the wheel completely turned (thats with just a 2" drop). I would not lower the car more than 2" in the front and rear personally but you may be able to go lower... you'd need to add more camber the lower you go. You'll chew through tires. 235/40 tires will mess with your gearing and speedometer. 245/40 or 255/35 would be ideal.

edit: Just searched on google and found these rota d's on a GD... that is one hell of a fender pull on the rear, but not much camber at all...

Last edited by prescottn6ft7; 04-29-2013 at 10:19 PM.
prescottn6ft7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #2370
tomislav
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321161
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Guys i need an advice bout my future setup.

This is what i want:
Year: 2011
Model: sti sedan
Wheel model: rota t2r
Wheel size/offset: 18x9,5 / +38
Tire brand/model: dunlops- stock one
Tire size: 245/40/18
Suspension: RCE yellows
Alignment: stock
Fender modes: stock
Spacers: none
Currently i am runing stock wheels and tires on rce yellows. I want to buy rota t2r next month. What kind of prep do i have to do before the installation to fit those? Do i need fender rolls, alignment spec, spacers?
tomislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #2371
prescottn6ft7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268918
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomislav View Post
Guys i need an advice bout my future setup.

This is what i want:
Year: 2011
Model: sti sedan
Wheel model: rota t2r
Wheel size/offset: 18x9,5 / +38
Tire brand/model: dunlops- stock one
Tire size: 245/40/18
Suspension: RCE yellows
Alignment: stock
Fender modes: stock
Spacers: none
Currently i am runing stock wheels and tires on rce yellows. I want to buy rota t2r next month. What kind of prep do i have to do before the installation to fit those? Do i need fender rolls, alignment spec, spacers?
I just mounted these on my GD chassis. You will have zero issues. If anything maybe a custom alignment. Search around for alignment specs on a GR8... GR and GV chassis have more fender clearance than the earlier models. I personally prefer to have about -1.8 to about -2.0 in the front and rear for cornering and handling reasons. If you want to go "flush" and roll your fenders you may need 3-5mm spacers, or look at the 18x10 et36 seen here on a GV with 255/35/18's
prescottn6ft7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #2372
CNYOBSMITH
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 354869
Join Date: Apr 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Syracuse, NY
Vehicle:
2007 Outback Sport
Evergreen Metallic

Default

year: 2007
model: impreza outback sport
wheel model: stock subaru
wheel size/offset: stock 16"
tire brand/model:Goodyear eagle
tire size: 205-55-r16
suspension: stock
alignment:stock
fender mods: none
spacers: none

Hoping to eventually lift it one or two inches and throw on some general grabber at2s. But as a broke high school student soon to be broke college student this will take a while to do.
CNYOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #2373
prescottn6ft7
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 268918
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYOBSMITH View Post
year: 2007
model: impreza outback sport
wheel model: stock subaru
wheel size/offset: stock 16"
tire brand/model:Goodyear eagle
tire size: 205-55-r16
suspension: stock
alignment:stock
fender mods: none
spacers: none

Hoping to eventually lift it one or two inches and throw on some general grabber at2s. But as a broke high school student soon to be broke college student this will take a while to do.
Look in the Subaru Forester owner threads for someone getting rid of their stock suspension. That's a 2" lift. You'll want saggy butt spacers for the rear from Mach V motorsports because you're in a wagon... would look like this:
prescottn6ft7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #2374
flat4LGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 237565
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: East Lansing, MI
Vehicle:
I haz 06
WRB Wagon

Default

Subtle Solutions makes a lift kit that's pretty high quality. I helped my friend install the kit on his 06 wagon last summer. The kit comes with the 1" machined block spacers that go between the strut and the body and extended top hat bolts. I have no idea how much it cost him compared to Forester take-offs and saggy butt spacers.

Picture for reference. Running 16s with a meaty tire (can't remember the specs off the top of my head).
flat4LGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #2375
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 97135
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Bothell
Default

the problem with strut spaces ONLY is that they don't offer any more tire clearance.
sc00by4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the motorsport fitment thread: because race car! nhat Tire & Wheel 45 11-20-2011 03:21 PM
the official wheel/tire fitment thread: all fitment questions go here! nhat Tire & Wheel 1086 06-15-2011 01:02 AM
where did the wheel fitment chart go? PoopRSkupe Brakes, Steering & Suspension 0 01-26-2004 01:36 PM
A thread in the STi forum to keep it alive (because STi forum is closing) Eric SS Off-Topic 6 09-10-2003 03:54 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.