Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
advanwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48229
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Virginia Beach
Vehicle:
BMW E28 M5, E39 M5
Racetracks near you

Default Laguna Seca In-Car Video

Here are a few random laps from the GRAND-AM event at Laguna Seca that took place a week ago. The car is the Mitchum Motorsports #6.2 Camaro GS.R that competes in the CTSCC. I qualified the car 3rd and ran second my whole stint before handing it off to my co-driver Lawson and we finished up 4th. Not too bad for my first time at Laguna!



Here is a shot of me leading the pack down into T2 with teammate Rob Stout in the white #6 car overtaking one of the Fall Line BMW's for position.




Joey
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
advanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
kfoote
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39180
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Trying to get :unamused: on TV
Vehicle:
2004 WRB STi
Slash Ten - FBHIC

Default

Nice!

And a random question I've been meaning to ask you. Do you have any footage from Lime Rock at the beginnig of the race where you were running pretty hard with I think it was a Mustang for several laps? I remembered thinking that it would make good footage when I was in pit lane watching it.

Also, do me a favor and beat the 9, 13, and 61 this weekend kthxbye
kfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
jasper24
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 261930
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: ossining,ny
Vehicle:
04 wrx

Default

How do those Camaro's handle? They seem like they would be a handful to drive around the track.
jasper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
nickrice20
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 95153
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Miesenbach, Deutschland
Vehicle:
2011 STI Hatch

Default

As always thanks Joey and great driving!!

Nick
nickrice20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
rjrutzky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30367
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: nashville, tn
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
NASA SE PTB Champ

Default

just awesome. let me know if you need a third driver
rjrutzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
mav1c
Hoodbridge!
Moderator
 
Member#: 560
Join Date: Nov 1999
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Vehicle:
2006 STi, '11 A4
Crystal Gray, Silver

Default

Awesome. Thanks for the footage. I watched the race on Sunday. Definitely entertaining. Would like to have seen the Subaru do better, but I always root for you guys.

I've been thinking of trying to get my seating position lower and back. Right now I sit very upright, and a little high. A lot of this is because of my height (I'm a little over 6' 1"). If I put the seat much lower, my legs come up off the seat too much. I could lean the seat back, but then my arm position would be too far back. I really like the upright position, and being pretty close to the wheel. The setup I have now is very comfortable. Anyway....what does this have to do with watching your vid? You're seating/driving position looks very much like mine. That tells me it's probably better to be in a comfortable seating position, than worry about getting a little lower. Thanks!

Oh, and I think I saw your teammate Robert Stout at VIR for the TrackDaze event back in June. He was driving/testing a stock car of some sort. I was going to introduce myself, but never got around to it.
mav1c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
nismofly
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 163063
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Syracuse, NY
Vehicle:
1989 240SX
2006 WRX Limited OBP

Default

Im surprised youve never been there, even in your club racing days...its not all that far from home for you

And you even managed to squeeze in an interview haha
nismofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
advanwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48229
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Virginia Beach
Vehicle:
BMW E28 M5, E39 M5
Racetracks near you

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfoote View Post
Nice!

And a random question I've been meaning to ask you. Do you have any footage from Lime Rock at the beginnig of the race where you were running pretty hard with I think it was a Mustang for several laps? I remembered thinking that it would make good footage when I was in pit lane watching it.

Also, do me a favor and beat the 9, 13, and 61 this weekend kthxbye
Yes I do remember battling with that BOSS. I do have video but unfortunately for Lime Rock and Watkins Glen the ChaseCam had broke the mic-input so there is no sound We'll do our best at NJMP to beat those cars, it was a good track for us last year before the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper24 View Post
How do those Camaro's handle? They seem like they would be a handful to drive around the track.
The Camaro's aren't as bad as what most people think, but they are an extremely odd car to set up. The wheel-motion rate at the wheel in the back is horrible so the spring setups are quite strange when you look at the setup sheets. The trouble we have is putting the power down in low-speed corners without wheel spin and then a push/understeer in the middle of the corner. Other than that the car is a blast to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrice20 View Post
As always thanks Joey and great driving!!

Nick
Thanks! Hope racing has been going well for you guys in the NW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrutzky View Post
just awesome. let me know if you need a third driver
We are always looking for more drivers I believe Mitchum is actually opening an ST program for next year, prices aren't cheap for either series though

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1c View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the footage. I watched the race on Sunday. Definitely entertaining. Would like to have seen the Subaru do better, but I always root for you guys.

I've been thinking of trying to get my seating position lower and back. Right now I sit very upright, and a little high. A lot of this is because of my height (I'm a little over 6' 1"). If I put the seat much lower, my legs come up off the seat too much. I could lean the seat back, but then my arm position would be too far back. I really like the upright position, and being pretty close to the wheel. The setup I have now is very comfortable. Anyway....what does this have to do with watching your vid? You're seating/driving position looks very much like mine. That tells me it's probably better to be in a comfortable seating position, than worry about getting a little lower. Thanks!

Oh, and I think I saw your teammate Robert Stout at VIR for the TrackDaze event back in June. He was driving/testing a stock car of some sort. I was going to introduce myself, but never got around to it.
Thanks for watching the races and rooting for us out there! In terms of the seating position our seat is actually all the way down in the Camaro. We do have it somewhat close to the dash but we also have 2 spacers on the quick release to bring the steering wheel further back towards the driver. The reason why it looks like we sit up so tall is because the inside of the Camaro is huge compared to most cars, and the dash is so high that we do tend to sit more upright but it feels completely normal. The reason why we bring the wheel close to us is that when you are in the car for potentially 2 hours, you need to use the 'big' muscles in your arms rather than being outstretched for that period of time. This way fatigue doesn't come in nearly as much, takes a couple times to get used to but much more comfortable to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismofly View Post
Im surprised youve never been there, even in your club racing days...its not all that far from home for you

And you even managed to squeeze in an interview haha
Laguna is one of the very few tracks that I had not gone too. Been to virtually everything else on the west coast other than Cal Speedway. From Seattle to Laguna Seca was about a 15-hour drive while towing, certainly not far but definitely not close.



Thanks guys for all the positive feedback, I'll answer any questions as best I can.

Joey
advanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
sjs0433
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 86061
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

The guy that painted the hardtop for my s2000 does the body work for Mitchum motorsports. That same camaro was in his shop when I dropped it off a couple weeks ago. It was pretty cool to see it up close.
sjs0433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
kfoote
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39180
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Trying to get :unamused: on TV
Vehicle:
2004 WRB STi
Slash Ten - FBHIC

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by advanwrx View Post
Yes I do remember battling with that BOSS. I do have video but unfortunately for Lime Rock and Watkins Glen the ChaseCam had broke the mic-input so there is no sound We'll do our best at NJMP to beat those cars, it was a good track for us last year before the fire
I had forgotten about the fire last year. That was one of the more dramatic fires I had seen in the series.

You guys have definitley been improving, and along with the 6 and 00 cars are the teams that haven't won a race yet that are most likely to in the near future. Having Lawson as a co-driver certainly doesn't hurt, either.
kfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
advanwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48229
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Virginia Beach
Vehicle:
BMW E28 M5, E39 M5
Racetracks near you

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs0433 View Post
The guy that painted the hardtop for my s2000 does the body work for Mitchum motorsports. That same camaro was in his shop when I dropped it off a couple weeks ago. It was pretty cool to see it up close.
Wayne does awesome bodywork and I would suggest everyone I know to go have paint & bodywork done by him. We had a hit in the left-rear after Road America and he had 2 days to replace a rear quarter panel, bumper, paint and have the rear carbon trunk fit and he got the job done. That's just one example of several times he has bailed us out to have a good looking car come the GRAND-AM weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfoote View Post
I had forgotten about the fire last year. That was one of the more dramatic fires I had seen in the series.

You guys have definitley been improving, and along with the 6 and 00 cars are the teams that haven't won a race yet that are most likely to in the near future. Having Lawson as a co-driver certainly doesn't hurt, either.
Yeah the fire wasn't very fun, I lost fuel pressure and then turned on both pumps and then fire came through the firewall into the cockpit. Thankfully it just surged and I was able to turn everything off and at that point it was just whatever fuel was left in the lines and had sprayed so not too much got hurt.



Thanks for the compliments on the cars and team getting faster. Honestly I think we have had the fastest Camaro's on track a few times, just the races haven't fallen our way yet. Hopefully that will all change the last couple races here. See you in Jersey!


Joey
advanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
mav1c
Hoodbridge!
Moderator
 
Member#: 560
Join Date: Nov 1999
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Vehicle:
2006 STi, '11 A4
Crystal Gray, Silver

Default

Yeah. The upright position is what I'm talking about. Much more comfortable. I've seen guys with the seat set way laid back and just wonder how the hell they drive like that. And I'm talking track/race cars, not street cars.

Stay cool this weekend. It's going to be a scorcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by advanwrx View Post

Thanks for watching the races and rooting for us out there! In terms of the seating position our seat is actually all the way down in the Camaro. We do have it somewhat close to the dash but we also have 2 spacers on the quick release to bring the steering wheel further back towards the driver. The reason why it looks like we sit up so tall is because the inside of the Camaro is huge compared to most cars, and the dash is so high that we do tend to sit more upright but it feels completely normal. The reason why we bring the wheel close to us is that when you are in the car for potentially 2 hours, you need to use the 'big' muscles in your arms rather than being outstretched for that period of time. This way fatigue doesn't come in nearly as much, takes a couple times to get used to but much more comfortable to drive.
mav1c is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
400WHP 04 STi @ GTGP Laguna Seca incar video garageGT Proven Power Bragging 10 10-26-2010 06:59 PM
In-car video of the Corvette ZR1 lapping Laguna Seca monaroCountry Non-Subaru News & Rumors 3 12-06-2007 07:47 PM
2008 STI in-car video from Laguna Seca ricochet General Community 13 11-16-2007 08:30 PM
My video footage from Laguna Seca 11/30/04 V8VENOM Motorsports 25 12-07-2004 11:13 PM
Laguna Seca night "run" video jeffg Motorsports 9 07-28-2001 09:20 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.