Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
Soulsub
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170692
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5rs
STM

Default clear bras?

i just repainted my car, so it looked like brand spanking new again. does anyone know a place in Philadelphia area that does clear bras? thanks a lot for any input/
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Soulsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
manicshot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271936
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: LA/OC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
OBP

Default

Try your local tint shops. If they don't do it, they probably know someone that does..good luck
manicshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:56 AM   #3
SubieDugie
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 119219
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: VB, Va.
Vehicle:
2005 STi
WR Blue

Default

You can locate installer for 3M paint protective film on the 3M site. But like stated, that will most of the time be tint shops, or vinyl shops that do signs and letters on cars and whole vehicle vinyl wraps. If someone can wrap a car in vinyl they can put on some paint pro film.
If you just repainted your car, I hope you know you need to wait for it to cure 30-60 days before putting anything on it like wax, sealant, paint coatings, graphics, or paint protection film.? You can contact the manufacturer for specifics on how long to wait. 3M's site talks about this in their FAQs section for paint pro films.
SubieDugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
abci30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 276500
Join Date: Mar 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: philly
Vehicle:
2011 impreza sedan
swp

Default

Shades of gray and Car optics both do clear bras.
abci30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Kean
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 25187
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: So. CA
Vehicle:
'08 Foz Prem TGM
'10 Challenger R/T Blk

Default

....some professional detailers will also offer these services. However, as with any of these types of things, a good result relies on experience, skill and general quality of work as much as it does the product itself.
Kean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
gpshumway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43950
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
07 WRX LTD Wagon
Satin White Pearl

Default Stay Away From Ventureshield

My advice: Find an installer who will install 3M Scotchguard film. I don't have any experience with other manufacturers like Avery or Xpel, so those may be OK, but I do have experience with both Scotchguard and Ventureshield.

I'm in the middle of having the four month old Ventureshield film on my 2011 Civic replaced with Scotchguard film due to bug etching. I've had the Scotchguard film on my 2007 WRX since new and it shows no bug etching even four years on. I protect my cars with the Klasse twins and wash reguarly with either ONR or P21S TAW + NXT. Once the replacement process is done I plan on posting a big write up of the issues but the Cliff's notes are these:

- 3M bought Ventureshield in ~2008, so both products come from the same company.

- Bugs etch some film such that even after the bug is removed, it leaves an area where the film is no longer shiny, making it appear as though the bug is still there. Ventureshield is much more prone to this problem than Scotchguard. See these pictures of a Nissan GTR and the accompanying tintdude thread for an example:
http://www.tintdude.com/forum/lofive...hp/t63444.html
https://picasaweb.google.com/1067589...eat=directlink

- Installers will recommend Ventureshield because it's much easier to install than Scotchguard due to being much easier to stretch.

- Installers will recommend against Scotchguard because it has a distinct orange peel texture.

- Installers will claim that early Ventureshield was not clear-coated and that was the cause of the bug etching issues. They will claim the new Ventureshield is clear coated just like the Scotchguard film. This is partially true. The new Ventureshield is clearcoated, but not like Scotchguard. The purpose of the Ventureshield clear coat is to eliminate orange peel, not to provide a durable top coat which is what the Scotchguard clear coat is intended to do. This info came directly from the warranty rep at 3M.

- Last and most important the Scotchguard warranty covers re-installation labor, the Ventureshield warranty does not. Labor is easily 65-75% of the total cost if you're considering the wholesale cost of the film which is what the warranty will cover. So essentially the Ventureshield warranty amounts to a 25% discount . Installers will sell you on their services based on the warranty, stating that the manufacturer will not warranty a product which was not installed by a certified installer. Read the warranty carefully, both warranties have easy outs for the manufacturer regarding care of the film.

My experience mirrors that of this owner on Bimmerfest almost exactly. I'll post a similar writeup once my warranty claim is finished, but until then read this:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=473027
gpshumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
thenick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 199580
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: /r/subaru, NJ
Vehicle:
i been hatin'
Hellas since 2012

Default

thenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
DeadlyRaceReplica
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 279801
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WR blue

Default

I had my 2011 tinted at Accent Tint in York, PA and he is a 3M installer (both tint and clear bras.) If you goggle Accent Tint you can get a phone number and email address to contact Jason. He does great work and you can view pictures on his site. His prices are very good also.
DeadlyRaceReplica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Soulsub
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170692
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5rs
STM

Default

Sorry for the late reply. thanks a lot guys. one last thing. how much should i expect to pay for the whole front (bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, and possibly grille).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshumway View Post
My advice: Find an installer who will install 3M Scotchguard film. I don't have any experience with other manufacturers like Avery or Xpel, so those may be OK, but I do have experience with both Scotchguard and Ventureshield.

I'm in the middle of having the four month old Ventureshield film on my 2011 Civic replaced with Scotchguard film due to bug etching. I've had the Scotchguard film on my 2007 WRX since new and it shows no bug etching even four years on. I protect my cars with the Klasse twins and wash reguarly with either ONR or P21S TAW + NXT. Once the replacement process is done I plan on posting a big write up of the issues but the Cliff's notes are these:

- 3M bought Ventureshield in ~2008, so both products come from the same company.

- Bugs etch some film such that even after the bug is removed, it leaves an area where the film is no longer shiny, making it appear as though the bug is still there. Ventureshield is much more prone to this problem than Scotchguard. See these pictures of a Nissan GTR and the accompanying tintdude thread for an example:
http://www.tintdude.com/forum/lofive...hp/t63444.html
https://picasaweb.google.com/1067589...eat=directlink

- Installers will recommend Ventureshield because it's much easier to install than Scotchguard due to being much easier to stretch.

- Installers will recommend against Scotchguard because it has a distinct orange peel texture.

- Installers will claim that early Ventureshield was not clear-coated and that was the cause of the bug etching issues. They will claim the new Ventureshield is clear coated just like the Scotchguard film. This is partially true. The new Ventureshield is clearcoated, but not like Scotchguard. The purpose of the Ventureshield clear coat is to eliminate orange peel, not to provide a durable top coat which is what the Scotchguard clear coat is intended to do. This info came directly from the warranty rep at 3M.

- Last and most important the Scotchguard warranty covers re-installation labor, the Ventureshield warranty does not. Labor is easily 65-75% of the total cost if you're considering the wholesale cost of the film which is what the warranty will cover. So essentially the Ventureshield warranty amounts to a 25% discount . Installers will sell you on their services based on the warranty, stating that the manufacturer will not warranty a product which was not installed by a certified installer. Read the warranty carefully, both warranties have easy outs for the manufacturer regarding care of the film.

My experience mirrors that of this owner on Bimmerfest almost exactly. I'll post a similar writeup once my warranty claim is finished, but until then read this:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=473027
thanks a lot for the heads up. i was gonna go with 3M clear bra, but it changes my mind now. i have heard good stories for xpel.com. i think im going to use their products. once a gain thanks a lot
Soulsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
n2oiroc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 141952
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: milwaukee, wi
Vehicle:
03 emo 8/2011 wrx

Default

I have xpel and no issues so far.
n2oiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
Dmoney8053
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191203
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Vehicle:
04 WRX
WRB

Default

Shades of Gray i know its in philly area.
Dmoney8053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
Soulsub
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170692
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5rs
STM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oiroc View Post
I have xpel and no issues so far.
thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmoney8053 View Post
Shades of Gray i know its in philly area.
im gonna check them out. thanks
Soulsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
gpshumway
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43950
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
07 WRX LTD Wagon
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulsub View Post
Sorry for the late reply. thanks a lot guys. one last thing. how much should i expect to pay for the whole front (bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, and possibly grille).

thanks a lot for the heads up. i was gonna go with 3M clear bra, but it changes my mind now. i have heard good stories for xpel.com. i think im going to use their products. once a gain thanks a lot
I paid $500 for my replacement job, the original Ventureshield job was $600. Keep in mind the size of film required to do the bumper has a large impact on the final cost. A bumper that requires a 30" wide film will cost much more than one requiring an 18" wide film.

To be clear, both Ventureshield and Scotchguard are made by 3M. I think the Scotchguard film is likely the best on the market, but the VS is crap. Avery and Xpel look nice, but their history is shorter than Scotchguard so there's more risk IMHO. Just be sure you read the warranty and are comfortable that the installer will stand behind not just their work, but their product as well.
gpshumway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #14
DerrickForeal101
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 280611
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Towson
Vehicle:
2007 STi
SWP

Default

I'd love to get clear bra if I were to have my bumper, fenders and hood resprayed. Can you wax and polish the clear bra just like regular paint?
DerrickForeal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
Killacush
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293625
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Mont Co., PA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STI Limited
DGM

Default

Ive only had window tints done, but Car Optics on Cottman ave in the NE did an excellent job. Fair price so I would check them out also

Good Luck
Killacush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
REBinc
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 286423
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: PGH, PA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
2006 GTO

Default

Most high end dealerships can give you a good reference for someone.
REBinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #17
seanriley
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260694
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: northeast
Vehicle:
2009 wrx
grey

Default

up here in Mass. the roads suck, I have chips in my paint on the front edge of my roof where the windshield meets the roof...What do I do for this?
seanriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #18
ico54
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 179404
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: leominster,Ma
Vehicle:
2005 LGT/Wagon
Red

Default

You can have clear bra installed on the front of your roof and a-pillar.
Pm me for more info , where in mass are you located?
ico54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #19
GraphicWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57743
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Elkton MD
Vehicle:
2011 Fiesta

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulsub View Post
i just repainted my car, so it looked like brand spanking new again. does anyone know a place in Philadelphia area that does clear bras? thanks a lot for any input/
WARNING!!

You need to let your paint finish curing before you place a paint protection film on. If you do it too soon, you run the chance of clouding the paint, and you will be running a very good chance of peeling the paint off whenever you remove the ppf.

I have been installing ppf for 10 years now and I will not touch a car that has not cured for at least 45 days. I know how much you want to take care of the paint, but be patient.

As far as film, I recommend xpel. The film is very good and the patterns are spot on.

Good luck
GraphicWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #20
Middleswine
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 262481
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Limited 5DR
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicWRX View Post
WARNING!!

You need to let your paint finish curing before you place a paint protection film on. If you do it too soon, you run the chance of clouding the paint, and you will be running a very good chance of peeling the paint off whenever you remove the ppf.

I have been installing ppf for 10 years now and I will not touch a car that has not cured for at least 45 days. I know how much you want to take care of the paint, but be patient.
Do you have any recommendations on washing in the first two months? I got my new WRX the second week of August and haven't washed it at all. I've sprayed it down with water a few times to get some bugs off but thankfully we've had a lot of rain in the Northeast so it's stayed relatively clean. I don't want to rush to washing it if the paint's going to get screwed up. I figure by the end of this month I'll take the time to wash it then get the clear bra. Thanks for any advice you have.
Middleswine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #21
DetailersDomain
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 165558
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: www.detailersdomain.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulsub View Post
i just repainted my car, so it looked like brand spanking new again. does anyone know a place in Philadelphia area that does clear bras? thanks a lot for any input/
you will want to wait 30-45 days before putting a clear film on, also you may want to know that if you need to remove it, the film can pull paint.

just some things to be aware of.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #22
DetailersDomain
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 165558
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: www.detailersdomain.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleswine View Post
Do you have any recommendations on washing in the first two months? I got my new WRX the second week of August and haven't washed it at all. I've sprayed it down with water a few times to get some bugs off but thankfully we've had a lot of rain in the Northeast so it's stayed relatively clean. I don't want to rush to washing it if the paint's going to get screwed up. I figure by the end of this month I'll take the time to wash it then get the clear bra. Thanks for any advice you have.
2nd that statement didn't see it before I posted.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where can i get a clear bra for an aftermarket Front Bumper for a S2000? BaruSti26 Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 5 06-17-2009 10:21 PM
FS Rockblocker 3M clear bra for STi. afpdl Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 23 07-29-2004 12:13 PM
Anyone have clear bra for their STI? vapore0n New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 9 04-16-2004 10:20 AM
Clear Bra for sale on ebay FryRice Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 11 08-21-2003 09:25 PM
Clear Bra for sale on ebay! FryRice Private 'For Sale' Classifieds 0 08-17-2003 01:37 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.