Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
caperex09
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 243122
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default Process West vs stock tmic

car is 09wrx at stage2. when PW was installed and dyno-tuned , result was 20wtq/20whp.

only power mod was PW tmic. anyone with same results?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
caperex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
wrxdrvr
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 79222
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada BC
Vehicle:
'09 STi 297.5 WHP
Blue

Default

No numbers but I can believe it...
wrxdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
sszyma
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 31399
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
2007 WRX
2014 Forester 6MT

Default

This is from a few years ago

I have another thread with in the power forum but here is the gist. If you look at the dyno graph the only difference between the tunes was the PW TMIC, Samco inlet, APS intake. The intake gave me a little at the top end compared to the previous tune and the inlet really didn't do much but, the increase in torque was incredible. The stock 07 wrx intercooler is very small. The 07 STi tmic would have been a small upgrade. The PW unit I believe is the perfect size for the stock turbo and a little larger. I know all dynos are different but, since I was on the same dyno and increase of 65ft/lb is pretty good for the little TD04.

Event: Retune for Stage 2
Location: P&L Motorsports
Ambient Temp: 75
Elevation: 576ft Chicago IL
Weather: Sunny
Car: 2007 WRX Wagon
Tuner: Jorge @ P&L Motorsports
Dyno Info: DYNOJET
Peak HP at RPM: 244
Peak Torque at RPM: 320
Baseline hp/tq for a stock on same dyno: Not sure, before retune 237whp/255whtq



Target Boost: 16.5 psi
Target AFR: ~11.7
Fuel: 93 Octane from BP in Chicago
Engine/Power Modifications: Maddad DP SwainTech’d, Maddad MP SwainTech’d, Prodrive Axleback, Prodrive BCS, APS 65mm intake, Samco Turbo Inlet
Driveline Modifications: Group N Bushings
Suspension Modifications: All group n bushings, koni inserts, wagon pinks, Oswald subframe and bumper beam
sszyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
tekfoc
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21392
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NEW YORK CITY
Vehicle:
2014 45 AMG MB
WHITE /07 STI IS SOLD

Default

I LOVE my process west
tekfoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Mike 01Hawk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 219162
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tulsa
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Sedan Base
Silver

Default

I'm in the same boat wanting to upgrade my '11 WRX TMIC down the road. For the money though I'd give a hard look at the Fast Motorsports FMIC, and I was never a fan of FMIC before. Funny how times change.
Mike 01Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
The Deliverator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 42376
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo
Vehicle:
2006 92x Aero
Midnight Black Metallic

Default

I'm quite happy with the results of my PW TMIC, too. VF39, JH2000 coated EL header, Swain coated up pipe and hot side, AVO inlet, stock intake, clark turner email protune. 9-2x Aero (wrx wagon).



On the same dyno (different day, presumably different conditions) a protuned Stage 2 + intake STI made 254whp.

Can't attribute all the difference to the PW tmic, obviously, but it certainly didn't hurt. :-D
The Deliverator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Nimbus09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 212399
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: portland, or
Vehicle:
09 wrx 301hp/328tq
'00 miata blue

Default

op, you sure the boost was not just upped because the new tmic can handle it?

i can't imagine just the tmic gave you the gains. retuning it with the new tmic is a whole different story.
Nimbus09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
my name is joe
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 171412
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: SQC
Default

The stock 08+ sit tmic flows just as good as the pw tmic
. Tube and fin vs bar + plate. Just some info for some of the budget buyers
But of course tmic< fmic < v mount / reversed intake man w/ fmic
my name is joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
mdefalco25
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 62985
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Normal, IL
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Platnium Silver

Default

So it sounds like to me that is TMIC (PW) Is more ideal for the WRX guys vs. STi guys? Was considering this TMIC for my 05 STi because of the splitter but on the fence with this one and the Spearco due to it's massive CFM and core size.
mdefalco25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is joe View Post
The stock 08+ sit tmic flows just as good as the pw tmic
. Tube and fin vs bar + plate. Just some info for some of the budget buyers
But of course tmic< fmic < v mount / reversed intake man w/ fmic
Your logic is highly flawed and has zero to back it up. There are probably less than 100 V mount cars running and data from them is exactly zero.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
arf80
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 125580
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: North NJ
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5dr
OBP

Default

I'm in the same boat, it's hard to find any hard data or comparisons of the stock TMIC (with reinforced end tanks) vs the various aftermarket options for the 08+ cars at stage 2. Lots of conflicting opinions, though.
arf80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
tazswing
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63767
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: PDX
Vehicle:
2009 OXT 5-spd
2011 STi hatch

Default

I like the V-mounts that some of the WRC cars run for it pulls the weight back from the nose of the car.

Would someone f'en make a FMIC that keeps the OEM beam!!!!

Someday I will open a true testing facility: dyno, full wind tunnel, temp. control, etc., and put some of this stuff more to rest.
tazswing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
sumfoo1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82146
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC (Brier Creek)
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
OBP

Default

http://www.importimageracing.com/p/R...1-WRX-LGT.html

its not huge but its better than a tmic and it keeps the bumper beam
sumfoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
nhat
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 140163
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing
Vehicle:
03 STi
hellaflunctional

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumfoo1
http://www.importimageracing.com/p/R...1-WRX-LGT.html

its not huge but its better than a tmic and it keeps the bumper beam
i'd rather have a big tmic.
nhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
DoctorNick
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 7022
Join Date: May 2001
Vehicle:
heh, DC ITCA are
my rides

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caperex09 View Post
car is 09wrx at stage2. when PW was installed and dyno-tuned , result was 20wtq/20whp.

only power mod was PW tmic. anyone with same results?
The power from that mod comes from the tune and intercooler. The intercooler alone will only net a few ponies. You really need to tune the car to take advantage of the better flow and more surface area of a bigger intercooler.

IMO. Spearco TMIC is the best bang for the buck when it comes to TMICs on the market. If a PnL rotated mount 35R car can pull big numbers and survive in Chicago stop n go traffic with a TMIC and minor heat soak, I am sure a stage 2 WRX will be mighy fine w/ the same intercooler.
DoctorNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #16
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumfoo1 View Post
http://www.importimageracing.com/p/R...1-WRX-LGT.html

its not huge but its better than a tmic and it keeps the bumper beam
You have no proof of this, thanks for your opinion though.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
Nimbus09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 212399
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: portland, or
Vehicle:
09 wrx 301hp/328tq
'00 miata blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus09 View Post
op, you sure the boost was not just upped because the new tmic can handle it?

i can't imagine just the tmic gave you the gains. retuning it with the new tmic is a whole different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNick View Post
The power from that mod comes from the tune and intercooler. The intercooler alone will only net a few ponies. You really need to tune the car to take advantage of the better flow and more surface area of a bigger intercooler.
is there an echo in here? this thread is not humongous, read before you post.

how are you making the assumption that he has not gotten retuned? is 20 "ponies" a few to you?

but then, you say "you really need to tune the car..." implying he hasn't gotten tuned?

wtf is wrong with you?

go brush up on your.... logic? thinking?
Nimbus09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #18
DoctorNick
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 7022
Join Date: May 2001
Vehicle:
heh, DC ITCA are
my rides

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus09 View Post
is there an echo in here? this thread is not humongous, read before you post.
I was trying to explain why the bigger IC is more adventitious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus09 View Post
how are you making the assumption that he has not gotten retuned? is 20 "ponies" a few to you?

but then, you say "you really need to tune the car..." implying he hasn't gotten tuned?
Some people bolt on parts and assume the ECU will be able to handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus09 View Post
wtf is wrong with you?

go brush up on your.... logic? thinking?
DoctorNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
nhat
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 140163
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: 3MI Racing
Vehicle:
03 STi
hellaflunctional

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus09

is there an echo in here? this thread is not humongous, read before you post.

how are you making the assumption that he has not gotten retuned? is 20 "ponies" a few to you?

but then, you say "you really need to tune the car..." implying he hasn't gotten tuned?

wtf is wrong with you?

go brush up on your.... logic? thinking?
a lot of people on this forum do a lot of dumb things to their cars.

brush up on your logic or thinking otherwise you'd be just as dumb as them for making assumptions about what others have done with their car.
nhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #20
Nimbus09
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 212399
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: portland, or
Vehicle:
09 wrx 301hp/328tq
'00 miata blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhat View Post
a lot of people on this forum do a lot of dumb things to their cars.

brush up on your logic or thinking otherwise you'd be just as dumb as them for making assumptions about what others have done with their car.
since you're a mod, i'll be nice.

i asked a question. the other guy made the assumptions.

Last edited by Nimbus09; 08-17-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Nimbus09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #21
sumfoo1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 82146
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC (Brier Creek)
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
You have no proof of this, thanks for your opinion though.
you are correct, i have no proof but i do have logic and a general knowledge of airflow thats significantly better than average.

Well for the WRX guys the PW intercooler may be better it is a thicker core and they get plenty of airflow through their scoop.

But the FMIC won't heat soak at from engine heat when at a stoplight and the core is bigger than most other TMICs.

I'm sure it gets at least as much airflow as the scoop and we know the engine fans will keep air from becoming stagnant behind the bumper like it does on top of the engine.

I'm not going to lie the core of that intercooler its-self is not my favorite and i think i'd probably change it out but the piping etc is pretty impressive to be able to keep stock intak and stock bumper beam as well as foglights etc.

You'll also have to forgive me as i drive a legacy and my scoop is significantly tinier than the 08+wrx scoop.

but, being a fmic it will be plagued by "rich dip" unless the ecu is converted to speed density.

Is that better?
sumfoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #22
DoctorNick
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 7022
Join Date: May 2001
Vehicle:
heh, DC ITCA are
my rides

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus09 View Post
i haven't made assumptions, you idiot. i asked a question to clear things up.

the other moron made the assumption.

dumb****s everywhere!
Dude. Walk away from the computer for a second
DoctorNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #23
Unabomber
Big Ron
Moderator
 
Member#: 18062
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I can save you a ton of cash
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Default

Nope. A FMIC can and does heat soak and a TMIC if shielded with $40 turbo wrap it will not. The problem with the TMIC vs. FMIC debate is there is no proof from either court, just people who spout ideas and opinions which mean zero as none of us has access to a windtunnel or wants to do efficiency testing.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #24
mdefalco25
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 62985
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Normal, IL
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Platnium Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNick View Post
The power from that mod comes from the tune and intercooler. The intercooler alone will only net a few ponies. You really need to tune the car to take advantage of the better flow and more surface area of a bigger intercooler.

IMO. Spearco TMIC is the best bang for the buck when it comes to TMICs on the market. If a PnL rotated mount 35R car can pull big numbers and survive in Chicago stop n go traffic with a TMIC and minor heat soak, I am sure a stage 2 WRX will be mighy fine w/ the same intercooler.
This is why I have been favoring the Spearco for my STi but was curious to what others thought due to the splitter for the PW.
mdefalco25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #25
BDP
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 275256
Join Date: Feb 2011
Default

I've been looking at the AVO TMIC for my 2011. With no plans on going past a STG II and tune it seems like a good choice. Having owned multiple boosted VW's and having swapped out crappy SMIC's in them. I know how important an upgraded intercooler is not only keeping things safe but heat soak in the summertime.

Largest factor for me besides cost is ease of installation on a TMIC versus a FMIC.
BDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perrin vs Process West TMIC Bean-Counter Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 98 04-27-2011 11:22 AM
process west vs sti tmic alphaomega0 Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 18 05-10-2009 11:10 AM
STI TMIC Vs Process West TMIC snowmanwrx Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 3 02-01-2009 11:54 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.