Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday October 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #51
04.SPT.WRX
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (4)
 
Member#: 69568
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Southeastern, PA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sedan
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraru View Post
I wouldn't go that far. They still make good stuff, this just wasn't what I needed for my car. Plus their customer service is second to none.
I meant confidence in the AOS, not GS. Agreed on their customer service and the vast majority of their products.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
04.SPT.WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #52
dnorton
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (51)
 
Member#: 218997
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Jax
Vehicle:
07 WRX Mikey Tuned
JE/FSR built,35r 1300c

Default

I'm the biggest fan of GrimmSpeed out here but I too am switching from their system to the Crawford, today.
I just completed my build and this time I've step up the boost to 24lbs and running a bit more aggressive setup. No smoke going down the road but after a hard beat down and after parking the car there would be a puff of smoke at start up. This isn't good for my testimony of having a good build when someone see smoke. So I'm switching to the Crawford. I'll post back to let everyone know what happens after I install the CF.
dnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #53
Corentco
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 293525
Join Date: Sep 2011
Default

Just ran 5 lapping sessions last Friday with the GrimmSpeed AOS and a catch can on the outlet line. First 2 session maybe 50ml of oil in the catch can, after that 500ml of oil. There are 4 high speed, high G corners and as the day progressed and I got on it more there was a big difference in the oil overflow.

I liked the GS for street duties, but order up a Crawford V2 and should have it today or tomorrow. The oil recirculating into the block will save me emptying the catch can every 25mins or so. Only issue is if I'll need to make a new bracket to keep my Cusco Strut bar.....
Corentco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #54
Acejam2k
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (25)
 
Member#: 42645
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2007 STI
Crystal Gray Metallic

Default

I had the same issue that several others have reported in this thread. I ran the Grimmspeed AOS on my car for almost over a year, and I autocross the car frequently during the summer. I installed a clear line on the turbo inlet return port (middle port on AOS) and was able to monitor how much oil was getting past the AOS. On the street, daily driving seemed to be OK. However during autocross events, a fair amount of oil seemed to be "pooling" in the middle line. I also received a nice blue puff of smoke after starting my car up the morning after an event.

I ordered up a Crawford V2 AOS, and cannot be happier. Install was pretty straight forward, and oil levels seem to be the exact same before/after events. (no oil burning) The car also feels much smoother under boost. I know that my tune is pretty knock free, but let's face it, there is no such thing as a knock-free car. My theory is that the car feels more powerful simply because the Crawford is doing exactly what they say it does - removing oil from the intake stream, helping to lower the amount of detonation, thus allowing timing and power to increase.
Acejam2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #55
c0ldburn3r
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 278853
Join Date: Apr 2011
Default

Fantastic write up! My only complaint was that the Crawford instructions are... not complete for 06-07 wrx's. Contacted them and sent pictures of my install, not sure if they did anything.

There's a few brackets that have to go and the swirl pot has to mounted to a bracket to bring it out from the strut tower or it just won't fit. Also the ecu line has to be pushed down like the install on 08+.

Besides that this AOS is worth every penny.
c0ldburn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #56
anOBP04sti
*** Banned ***
Member Sales Rating: (-1)
 
Member#: 314614
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Texas
Default

I'd like to add this; I had the GrimmSpeed AOS for a month or so now. DD only. Recently I started my car and couldn't figure out what was going on. There was clouds of white smoke pouring out of the exhaust system as well as somewhere near/under the turbo. So I though, okay turbo seals are bad. I did some thinking researched the forums and couldn't figure it out. Just out of a hunch I took the GSAOS off the car and put the stock cap back on with the 3 lines venting to atmosphere and wala! Problem solved.

The oil loss was so bad that within a mile of driving I lost 3 quarts of oil....

Can anyone explain this? I had the line routed into the AOS correctly if anyone wanted to make this a fault.

center hose went to the middle port and the 2 crank case hoses went to the sides.

anOBP04sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #57
spatt
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (11)
 
Member#: 187118
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Trenton Ohio
Vehicle:
2008 STI
OBP

Default

the crawford aos is a quality designed part designed by crawford. The grimmspeed is a prova knockoff made in china sold at half price.

I would run and support the crawford just for that fact alone.
spatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #58
Sinister7
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 139685
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver CO
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan
SGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatt View Post
The grimmspeed is a prova knockoff made in china sold at half price.
Why do you say this?
Sinister7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #59
Cr4ckfi3nd
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 269647
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: El Paso
Vehicle:
2009 LGT Limited
SWP

Default

^^^^^
im with this guy. You need something to back up that statement, proof, or some other evidence.
Cr4ckfi3nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #60
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (4)
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister7 View Post
Why do you say this?
He says that because the Prova aos is almost the same thing sold for 400 bucks or so. He's saying Grimmspeeds is cheap china stuff that is a knock off judging by price. He has no actual proof of this because he's not smart enough.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #61
Cr4ckfi3nd
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 269647
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: El Paso
Vehicle:
2009 LGT Limited
SWP

Default

That's what I figured.
Cr4ckfi3nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #62
P-Train
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)
 
Member#: 279233
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Randolph, MA
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
OBP

Default

So does the prova unit not have the same issue that the grimmspeed aos has?
P-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #63
spatt
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (11)
 
Member#: 187118
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Trenton Ohio
Vehicle:
2008 STI
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr4ckfi3nd View Post
^^^^^
im with this guy. You need something to back up that statement, proof, or some other evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister7 View Post
Why do you say this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr4ckfi3nd View Post
^^^^^
im with this guy. You need something to back up that statement, proof, or some other evidence.

The fact the Prova unit came out in 2007 and Grimmspeeds pos aos knockoff came out in 2010 means nothing to you?

Sorry i didnt see your request for proof earlier. Here you go.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...stalled-28428/

notice 2008

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1944342

if you can find evidence of grimmspeed producing the unit before prova I will withdrawl my comment and apologize for misleading anyone.
spatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #64
Cr4ckfi3nd
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 269647
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: El Paso
Vehicle:
2009 LGT Limited
SWP

Default

so by that logic, any company that released a equal length header after the first one is a knock off, the second person to release a SRI for a subie was knocking off the original, every aftermarket stock location turbo is a cheap knock off of the stock turbo.

Sorry, just cause they made a similar product first does not make it "better" by any means and it being excessively over priced definitely doesn't make it "better". I've used several GS products over the years and what sets them apart is not that they do it first but that they take an idea and find a way to improve upon it. Compare the Prova and the GS side by side and you might notice something (hint).

that being said, i agree that this isn't their best work and when the time comes i will be getting the Crawford Unit unless GS find a better method.
Cr4ckfi3nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #65
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (4)
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatt View Post
The fact the Prova unit came out in 2007 and Grimmspeeds pos aos knockoff came out in 2010 means nothing to you?

Sorry i didnt see your request for proof earlier. Here you go.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...stalled-28428/

notice 2008

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1944342

if you can find evidence of grimmspeed producing the unit before prova I will withdrawl my comment and apologize for misleading anyone.
Prova:



Grimmspeed:



So please explain this. If the grimmspeed was a direct knock off made in china for half the price then why isn't directly copied? Sure Grimmspeed saw an idea and improved on it or tried their own way. I fail to see how that's bad. That would be like giving companies crap for selling a catch can. They all have a similar design and are made to do the same job.

And btw Cobb started out rebadging certain parts back in the day. I know because I was here.

Also to everyone else. Don't put much stock into what this dude says. He's not to smart. If I remember correctly he was at Turn in Concepts and snuck photos of their tgv project that wasn't released yet. He then came onto nasioc and blew up their spot posting the pictures. Guy is an asshat.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #66
Cr4ckfi3nd
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 269647
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: El Paso
Vehicle:
2009 LGT Limited
SWP

Default

Thank you!! Like I said earlier, where's the evidence of your claims? The answer: he has none because he's talking out his ass and attacking a quality company when he has no idea what's really going on
Cr4ckfi3nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #67
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (4)
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr4ckfi3nd View Post
Thank you!! Like I said earlier, where's the evidence of your claims? The answer: he has none because he's talking out his ass and attacking a quality company when he has no idea what's really going on
I wonder what his stance is on tv's, houses, automobiles in general.
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #68
Cr4ckfi3nd
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 269647
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: El Paso
Vehicle:
2009 LGT Limited
SWP

Default

Lol. All color TVs are just cheap knockoffs made in china. Subarus are cheap knockoffs for the model t made in japan
Cr4ckfi3nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #69
Supraru
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (4)
 
Member#: 23313
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Collegeville,Pa
Vehicle:
99' 2.5Rs
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr4ckfi3nd View Post
Lol. All color TVs are just cheap knockoffs made in china. Subarus are cheap knockoffs for the model t made in japan
I also found it funny it took him a month to find out dates on which one was released first. haha
Supraru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #70
Cr4ckfi3nd
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)
 
Member#: 269647
Join Date: Jan 2011
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: El Paso
Vehicle:
2009 LGT Limited
SWP

Default

Yeah, and it's still s weak argument.
Cr4ckfi3nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #71
flat4doniz
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (3)
 
Member#: 263475
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

grimmspeed aos wasn't doing its job, ordered the crawford.
flat4doniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #72
04.SPT.WRX
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (4)
 
Member#: 69568
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Southeastern, PA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sedan
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
I just ordered the Crawford. I want to get a track day in this season and a few autox events as well. I've lost confidence in the GS for that.
Easily the longest time between ordering and installing.

I finally installed the Crawford yesterday. It met my expectations for the most part. The "can", its welding and finish are nothing short of superb. The included accessories were somewhat lacking. Two of the hoses could have been a tad longer. I had to add an extension on one and a 1/2" to 5/8" adapter to fit on the Perrin turbo inlet hose.

Two rubber hose fitting caps were supposed to have been included - I only got one and it was the wrong size for what was needed. A screw with a few wraps of electrical tape plugged the bare fitting shown on the turbo inlet hose. The rubber cap I had on that fitting was needed for the breather hose just below the throttle body. This is shown in an older image (last one). The hose and the PCV assembly were eliminated.

The illustrated instructions could have been better. I think (hope) I correctly guessed at what was omitted. No indication of where to hook up the coolant lines.

No more cruise control. The AOS uses those mounting points. Fine with me as I rarely have chance to effectively use it. Note the new position for the horn. Haven't tried it yet. Time for Supertones?











04.SPT.WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #73
WRXLTD
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (17)
 
Member#: 136314
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A$$achusetts
Vehicle:
2014 Grand Cherokee

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anOBP04sti View Post

I'd like to add this; I had the GrimmSpeed AOS for a month or so now. DD only. Recently I started my car and couldn't figure out what was going on. There was clouds of white smoke pouring out of the exhaust system as well as somewhere near/under the turbo. So I though, okay turbo seals are bad. I did some thinking researched the forums and couldn't figure it out. Just out of a hunch I took the GSAOS off the car and put the stock cap back on with the 3 lines venting to atmosphere and wala! Problem solved.

The oil loss was so bad that within a mile of driving I lost 3 quarts of oil....

Can anyone explain this? I had the line routed into the AOS correctly if anyone wanted to make this a fault.

center hose went to the middle port and the 2 crank case hoses went to the sides.

Either this "story" is totally FALSE, or you had your AOS hooked up wrong.

Over 2000 daily driven miles on my GrimmSpeed AOS, no issues and never needed to add oil.

I would like to add though that GrimmSpeed really needs to upgrade from the whimpy cable ties to actual ring clamps when securing the hoses. In addition, please include a hose connector that has the same size openings on each end.

WRXLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #74
Crawford Performance
Former Vendor
Vendor Sales Rating: (2)
 
Member#: 42075
Join Date: Aug 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Oceanside
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixhost View Post
Are there any drawbacks to the Crawford AOS not using the PCV system, I want to get in on this Crawford Group Buy (Just saw it yesterday, not much time left) but I was also looking at the Moroso AOS, I like that the Crawford is maintenance free but the Moroso AOS keeps the PCV system intact and looks easier to reverse. My main concern is the PCV system though, anyone know if this should really be a concern of mine?

Cancel that, found the explanation I was looking for earlier today in case anyone was interested here is the link below.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...-answered.html

The link provides answers to just about everything I was wondering about the Crawford AOS and answered my concerns about the PCV system.
We have been tossing around the idea of doing a V3 with a PCV in the system. Is there enough interest in this upgrade for us to build it?

Crawford Performance
__________________
[B]Crawford Performance[/B]
Home to Ken Blocks [COLOR="red"]Gymkhana 1[/COLOR] and [COLOR="Red"]Gymkhana 2[/COLOR]
Home to the [COLOR="Red"]worlds fastest new age Subaru WRX STI[/COLOR]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Follow us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crawford Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #75
Gixhost
Scooby Specialist
Member Sales Rating: (14)
 
Member#: 180111
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Land of Ham, MD
Vehicle:
* 2004.114.3 STi
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford Performance View Post
We have been tossing around the idea of doing a V3 with a PCV in the system. Is there enough interest in this upgrade for us to build it?

Crawford Performance
I wish that was done before I removed mine, LOL. I haven't had any problems with my V2 so I am happy! I hope others are interested though.
Gixhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Crawford AOS for TMIC - Brand New jordanretro1223 Engine/Power/Exhaust 19 09-25-2011 07:36 PM
Crawford AOS, ARP studs, Grimmspeed, JDM STi Spec C 12L WATER TANKS in STOCK!! IA Performance Engine/Power/Exhaust 8 04-24-2011 04:04 PM
FS (SC): Crawford AOS - New rubberman Engine/Power/Exhaust 4 02-18-2010 08:55 AM
FS: Used Crawford AOS - FMIC version kuldud VIC Private Classifieds 8 01-18-2010 11:32 AM
Cobb vs Hawk pads - reviews/ opinions? Jeenyus Brakes, Steering & Suspension 7 06-22-2008 12:45 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.