Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday January 28, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
luka
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 194742
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza WRX JDM
Silver

Default Power Locks Not Working on '93 JDM WRX

hey guys,

I recently picked up a new '93 JDM WRX and the power locks have never worked however, when I tore the doors apart they looked exactly the same as my '92 JDM WRX that had functional power locks. From what I can tell the wire harness and solenoids are all there, just no power. both cars have power windows so I'm assuming the doors should be powered as well...

Any ideas where I would even start to look for a relay or fuse or? I looked through everything in the fusebox, couldn't find anything missing, broken, or marked for the doors.

Thanks,

-Luka
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
luka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
TommyAtomic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 257043
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
1993 JDM WRX Wagon
Black

My thinking is that there is some kind of secondary relay/fusebox besides the normal boxes under the hood and in the right side footwell.

My power trunk-lock recently stopped working and I cant find any fuses or relays related to it or powerlocks in general anywhere. I cant possibly function as a result of magic and good intentions therefore there must be another fuse/relay location.
TommyAtomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
peanutswagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 197057
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1997 98 Foz V3 swap
Black

Check your grounds
peanutswagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
luka
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 Impreza WRX JDM
Silver

it's just really frustrating because I have do a lap around the car to open the doors and then a lap around the car to lock all the doors since the back doors are keyless and both front doors have to be locked by key (unless you hold the handle in the open position)

I can't tell you how many times I've had my passenger yell at me "I LOCKED THE DOOR JERK" and they did, but it unlocked itself

it's a great anti-lock-your-keys-in-the-car-sytem but I'm gonna lose it in the winter if I can't fix it hah.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Jarrod164
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 253937
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
White

How do these work... it's mechanical first, then electrical right?
You push the lock button and the metal lever is closing a relay or something somehow inside the door, then that sends a signal to the other relays or whatever in the other doors. I would assume that's where all the stuff is, inside the door and not in a fuse box or anything.

Maybe I'm wrong?

**EDIT**
Taken from RS25...
"The lock issue 9 time out of 10 is the switch its self, you can take the switch out and then take it apart. Cleaning it out and putting a small amount of dieletcric grease fixes this. The contacts inside the switch are made from brass and over time they build up that green rust which will make them lose contact from time to time resulting in the locks going crazy all by themselves or not working at all."

Sounds like maybe some contacts somewhere are losing connection or building up human slime or something on them heh.

Last edited by Jarrod164; 08-18-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Jarrod164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
luka
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 Impreza WRX JDM
Silver

Thanks I'll definitely check the switch on the driver door however, even when I use the key on the driver door it doesn't open/lock the doors -- I'm guessing the key/button hit the same switch?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Jarrod164
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 WRX
White

By button do you mean the little lock tab thing on the inside?
I haven't looked at this myself, perhaps I'll pop a panel off today and take a peak. Hmmm now that i think about it... it must be a switch connected to the lock flipper. When it's open the connection is open and a relay sends a signal to the other doors. There must be some actuator to force those open as well. When you turn the key, it's mechanical and it pulls or pushes the lock flipper and thus connects or breaks the connection, which then does the relay thing and so on.

So yeah I'd definitely look at whatever is under that flipper lock.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
luka
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 Impreza WRX JDM
Silver

yeah.

so I took the door apart and I have two wires (black and red) connecting to a box attached to the door hinge and where all the levers go from the inside and outside. I connected a multimeter and got 2.8V across the two. I tried bridging them thinking it might actuate but I got nothing.

I was going to trace the two wires into the car but I've lost day light
Old 08-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
TommyAtomic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 257043
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
1993 JDM WRX Wagon
Black

I suppose there is a similar assembly in the wagon trunk hatch for the power trunk lock. I'll have to take appart the wagon hatch.
TommyAtomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:49 AM   #10
Jarrod164
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1995 WRX
White

Sorry dude I didn't get a chance to take my door panel off. I'm making a DIY for LED's and sexy dash colours. Did you look at what the door locker switch is doing? It must be creating some sort of connection because flipping that opens/closes all other doors.
Though I guess that connection would lead to this box thing you found. Black is usually ground and red is usually power. I think by bridging them you wouldn't achieve anything except shorting out the circuit thus doing nothing.

I bet this box contains the relay... I'm way to buzzed to help out right now though haha.
Trying to think how relays work... so you probably have power coming off the battery... 2.8V or something on the red wire. I guess if you just have the two wires coming off the lock flipper then jumping those would hopefully open the others. Though I don't know which side the wires were on... the car side or the door side.
I would think you would have a power and a ground attached to the door lock, once you bridge those two wires, a relay flips and opens/closes the other doors.

Bah I'm not able to think straight. I can help out on Sunday when I'm back from camping. I've got a USDM and JDM impreza in my garage, will be able to pop off a door and scope it out with more time. Sorry.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
luka
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 Impreza WRX JDM
Silver

hey Jarrod,

the flapper inside just pulls a mechanical lever that ends up in that box. So the flapper inside and key on the outside pull/push the same rod. which I can't really figure out how it works since the locks have an opened and closed state and then also need to trigger the other locks to open/close... how does it do all that with only two wires :/ ... unless the box has a built in ground then it could have a state/signal wire and a power wire...

also my power mirrors/windows work and I'd assume all these accessories would be driven off the same power source... so I don't think it's a fuse per say...