Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 20, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
unix4linux
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 127694
Default Need suggestions on project

Hello,

Back in 2005, I owned a 2005 STi. In about 2008, one of my oil lines gave up and my engine blew. I sold the car as is and got out of the car game for a while. I have been working on building my RSX but haven't been too motivated because of it's handling characteristics and the lack of power I will actually be able to stick to the ground. In other words, the engine I have been prepping is good enough for very high HP output but on a FWD, it's not going to be the best.

Anyway, I am going to suspend that project and looking to come back into a Subaru. I am not looking into buying a brand new one again because it is nice to not have a car payment. So my thoughts are as follows and looking for suggestions:

I am looking into getting a DOHC EJ25 instead of the STi engine because I am going to sleeve the block and re-do the internals completely. There is no point in getting an STi (EJ257) engine if that is the case, am I right?

Or, should I get the STi engine (blown or with high mileage) and rebuild that because it has other mechanisms that would later benefit my build?

What about the drivetrain? Should I purchase the STi drivetrain for the 6 speed even though I am going to rebuild it with PPG gear set or should I get the WRX drivetrain instead since I am going to build the gear set?

I haven't decided on a car/chasis to get for the swap. I was thinking that getting a 1996 or so RS or even a 2003+ WRX would be OK.

In summary, I am trying to see what the best cost effective project would be. I am not sure that buying a complete used STi car or just the engine would make sense since I am going to tear the engine apart and build it. I know the steering on the STi is far superior than an RS or WRX, but I can swap that stuff from an STi, such as the steering rack.

Any suggestions?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by unix4linux; 08-28-2011 at 02:21 PM.
unix4linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
KevinT.
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 291684
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2004 Rs (Wrx Swap)
San Remo Red

Definitive buy a high mileage stilong or short block... sure you can argue a ej25 would work but when it comes down to it the ej25 was meant for na the ej257 was BUILT for boost .....subaru has put a LOT of time and research in to the block with boost in mind.

in regards to the transmission its all up do you and what driving you are going to be doing
.....if its a car built only for lets say lower speeds and acceleration it is definitely in your Best interest to have a 5 speed with ra's as it is lighter and you can mess with gearing to your desire....

but if you are going to be getting in to higher speeds (or if it is your DD) you are probably best to use a 6speed .....you wont really need to rebuild that as they are used up to 550 600 hp BUT you will need a r180 rear diff and all the other great stuff to go along with that.

What is the car going to be used for?

How much do you plan on spending?
KevinT. is offline   Reply With Quote