Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 3, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803
Default AccessPORT 2.0L WRX Stage2 Maps Ready for BETA Testing

Hi all. Our beta test of the new v310 02-05 WRX maps for the v2 AccessPORT is complete and we have officially released the maps. A big thanks to all those that took part! You can find the new maps for download in the maps section of the cobbtuning.com site.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Quote:
Stage2 Off-The-Shelf maps for 2002-2005 WRX have recently been revised and are currently in BETA status. We are seeking feedback from the community to validate the changes and make adjustments where necessary before these become generally available. These BETA maps have been updated to improve drivability and performance. We are looking for your comments and datalogs to help us fine tune them.

Tuning can not solve mechanical issues!

Because some of these vehicles are now almost 10 years old, it is very important to make sure the car is in excellent mechanical condition before using any kind of tuning solution. Tuning can not solve mechanical issues!

Ideally the front O2 and MAF sensor will have less than 60k miles on them.
Intake system should be pressure tested or smoke tested for leaks.
Vacuum lines should be inspected for cracking or leaks.
General maintenance should be up to date.

Hardware Modification Requirements

These maps are compatible with vehicles equipped with the following hardware:

Stock Intake and Filter/Airbox or COBB Tuning SF Intake only
Aftermarket Downpipe or Turbo-back Exhaust (DP or TBE)
Stock or aftermarket fully recirculating bypass valve (BPV)

These maps must be used as the “Reflash” map and the AccessPORT should be updated to the most recent firmware using AP Manager 2.0. These calibrations are considered BETA and they may cause undesirable side effects. We do not anticipate any issues, but is important you are aware of the risk. As always, please contact technical support (866-922-3059) if you have any questions.

Logging Requirements

We ask that you perform data logging after installing these maps and send your data logs in for our review. You can email them to tech@cobbtuning.com and please title the email “2.0L BETA Logs”. Please log the "default" parameter list while using the latest firmware on your AccessPORT. When taking Wide-Open-Throttle (WOT) runs, please try to safely capture 2 datalogs in 3rd gear from 2000-6500rpm.

Did we mention that Tuning can not solve mechanical issues?! These cars are old enough that mechanical issues are commonplace. Please check for mechanical issues before using these maps, and again, in more detail, should these maps not perform as you expect. Data logging submissions will not be used to help diagnose a mechanical problem.

2002-2003 WRX Maps:

2004 WRX Maps:

2005 WRX Maps:

Stage1: Pending Final Release!
Stage2: Pending Final Release!

Last edited by Cobb Tuning; 05-20-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
leecea
Scooby Guru

Member#: 37359
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

You only mention Stage 2 maps in the text but Stage 1 maps are in the download list. Any changes there?
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
You only mention Stage 2 maps in the text but Stage 1 maps are in the download list. Any changes there?
Yes, the stage 1 maps are also new. Sorry for the confusion - we just added the stage 2 maps to the beta test.

Bill
Old 09-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
subaru222
Scooby Guru

Member#: 92967
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2009 wrx hatch
dark grey metallic

what are the big diffrence in the old map with this new one?
subaru222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru222 View Post
what are the big diffrence in the old map with this new one?
These beta maps are pretty much all-new and not based on the prior tunes. We hadn't addressed these maps in a long time and wanted to start fresh. Goals were improved driveability and consistency.

Bill
Old 09-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
subaru222
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2009 wrx hatch
dark grey metallic

Awesome. Can't wait to try them out.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
RSTimpreza
*** Banned ***

Member#: 144808
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Sonic Yellow

will this only work on newer AP?
RSTimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTimpreza View Post
will this only work on newer AP?
That is correct. These maps are for the AccessPORT version 2 only (i.e. one with the color screen).

Bill
Old 09-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
danisfake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 194663
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2003 Cobra
Sonic Blue

Emailed two 3rd gear pull logs to tech@cobbtuning along with one of my previous stage 2 OTS logs along with it. Overall the maps seem to run great so far, no knocks were logged.
danisfake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
davhul
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 227129
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 4EAT
WRB Stage 2

I guess the maps have been really unchanged since they came out,And there must be alot to be improved on. Can't what to see the real differances after the testing. Thanks for all the good work from COBB.
davhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
Rduburx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 275260
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
05 WRX
CGM

will the maps ever be available for v1?
Rduburx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rduburx View Post
will the maps ever be available for v1?
Sorry, no. The v1 AP reached its "End-Of-Life" in Oct 2009 and there will not be any new development for that device. We do, however, have an AP v1 trade-in program that will give you a $200 credit towards the purchase of a v2 AP. Details here:
http://cobbtuning.com/info/?id=3846

Bill
Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
Rduburx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 275260
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
05 WRX
CGM

awesome thanks for that link!
Rduburx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
realwomble
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49305
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2002 Stg.2 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default More details

I've been running APv1 Stage 2/91 on my 02 since 2005 (now @62k miles on the car). Cobb DP and STI UP.

It has not given me any problems, but does feel like it could be better. Often doesn't make boost targets, just doesn't feel the numbers. Also had a very odd boost oscillation under load in 5th a few weeks back, which never reproduced again.

I'd certainly consider upgrading to the v2 to get the update maps, but it would be an easier decision on the $200 if you could at least give a bit of information on the new maps - what is the difference in approach vs old, what differences would you expect to see vs the old maps, etc.

Also: does the MAF really 'wear out'? Would you recommend cleaning it?

Thanks.
realwomble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #15
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

First off, thank you for your support of our products!

The maps available to you are quite dated in many ways. We have certainly learned a lot regarding general tuning strategy on the 2L WRX as the years have gone on. Additionally, thanks to guys like Bill, we now have more access to the various tables that affect the overall tune.

The large revision is likely to the ignition timing strategy - the older maps retained the factory's odd Dynamic Advance mapping, which used highly variable values that sometimes caused poor performance and made monitoring the tune more difficult. We have adopted a "flat" DA strategy with these maps that have a known predictable impact on overall ignition timing. The table uses a flat value of 8*, meaning that each 1 increment of Dynamic Advance Multiplier represents 1/2* of timing being globally added/removed.

The MAF sensor does indeed wear out, unfortunately. It seems to happen more quickly on cars operated in dirty environments, but mileage/age is for sure the one constant I've observed on sensors that are dead. The easiest proof is to make back-to-back runs using the old sensor and a new sensor using the same tune; I have observed up to ~1.5 AFR variance when performing this test. I am not much of an engineer but I know that it uses a hotwire design which presumably loses precision as it is cycled over time. I would also assume that certain contaminants will either partially damage it or create a permanent barrier that can't be "cleaned" off with the normal alcohol or brake cleaner treatments.

Thanks again and please let me know if I can be of assistance in any other way.

Best regards

Lance
Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #16
realwomble
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Stg.2 WRX Wagon
Silver

Thanks, that helps.

It sounds like the expectation is greater consistency vs the older maps?

Uppipe ok with the new stage 2 map?
Any chance of one tuned for an UP as well, or just not neccessary?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #17
realwomble
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Stg.2 WRX Wagon
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
Sorry, no. The v1 AP reached its "End-Of-Life" in Oct 2009 and there will not be any new development for that device. We do, however, have an AP v1 trade-in program that will give you a $200 credit towards the purchase of a v2 AP. Details here:
http://cobbtuning.com/info/?id=3846

Bill
I misread this originally as $200 for the APv2 upgrade, now I see it's a $200 discount off $600 (i.e. $400), on top of what was spent for the v1 (can't remember, bought back when it first came out - $400?).

Honestly while it's great to see Cobb looking at the older vehicles again, it's a bit disappointing that these maps will not be made available for the v1 that was sold for those cars. They haven't been touched in >5 years, and the entire value of the AP was being able to receive updated maps...

Is there a technical reason they cannot easily be converted to the v1 format, or is it a business decision?

The gadget addict in me would like to get the v2 since I've not done much on the car for a while, but another $400 is a lot to shell out without some concrete data showing measured improvement in some way.

Also, will the v2 work on new model Subarus (in case by some miracle they make a decent wagon again) - obviously un-joined from the first car?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #18
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by realwomble View Post
I misread this originally as $200 for the APv2 upgrade, now I see it's a $200 discount off $600 (i.e. $400), on top of what was spent for the v1 (can't remember, bought back when it first came out - $400?).

Honestly while it's great to see Cobb looking at the older vehicles again, it's a bit disappointing that these maps will not be made available for the v1 that was sold for those cars. They haven't been touched in >5 years, and the entire value of the AP was being able to receive updated maps...

Is there a technical reason they cannot easily be converted to the v1 format, or is it a business decision?

The gadget addict in me would like to get the v2 since I've not done much on the car for a while, but another $400 is a lot to shell out without some concrete data showing measured improvement in some way.

Also, will the v2 work on new model Subarus (in case by some miracle they make a decent wagon again) - obviously un-joined from the first car?

Thanks.
Good questions.

The AP v1 was released back in 2004. It has a limitation on the number of changes that can be made to a v1 base map (because of limited memory). These changes include any table changes and factory code changes/additions such as launch control and real-time tuning. While that wasn't a problem back then, it can be a problem now that we've reverse engineered more of the ECU logic and exposed many more tables. The v2 does not have this problem and allows the freedom to make as many changes as you wish in the map.

The other issue with releasing new maps for the v1 AccessPORT is that there is no data logging capability with this device. We have no way to even attempt to diagnose a problem a customer is having with a map or with their car with the v1 AP. The v2 AP can data log directly to the device. It is very easy for any customer to do a run, pull the data log and post it. This allows us to help customer more effectively. Also, over time, we may spot general trends in data logs that might require a tweaking to some of the maps. None of the above is possible with v1 AP. This kind of data is especially important with new maps.

We are also a small company with limited resources. Continuing to support the v1 AP would be like supporting an entirely different device. It is quite outdated compared to the v2 AP and, therefore, the support requirements are quite different. There are some aspects of support (such as repairs) that can no longer be effectively completed for the v1 AP.

If you were to purchase the v2 AP for the 02-05 WRX (SUB-001), it would only work with the 02-05 WRX when you uninstall. However, the v2 AP still commands a decent price in the user market and you will not likely have a problem selling it. There are 3 versions of the AP v2 (SUB-001, SUB-002, SUB-003) that work with different groups of Subarus that we support.

To answer your other question, an uppipe is an acceptable mod for these maps.

Hope that helps!

Bill
Old 09-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #19
realwomble
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Stg.2 WRX Wagon
Silver

Thanks for the detailed response.

Anyone who has tried the new maps - notice any differences at all?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #20
davhul
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 227129
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 4EAT
WRB Stage 2

I haven't went to the track yet. But just driving around it seems to pull off from a stop with less effort.And from a 45mph roll dropping it to 2nd gear it does pull harder. so far I like it.And with the cold weather coming it'll run that much better also.
davhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #21
dardog
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 279765
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Steel Gray Metallic

Hi,

I am using STG2 91 v310 after having had STG2 v130. Seems fine.
dardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:35 AM   #22
subaru222
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2009 wrx hatch
dark grey metallic

Just downloaded the beta map stage2 acn will send logs in by Monday
Old 09-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #23
ENY169
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 125552
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
05 legacy 2.5i wag

how about us who live further north (canada) that experience -30C and sometimes colder?? are these maps revised to sense knock under these extreme cold conditions?
ENY169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #24
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENY169 View Post
how about us who live further north (canada) that experience -30C and sometimes colder?? are these maps revised to sense knock under these extreme cold conditions?
There's no temperature extreme under which the factory ECU is going to stop its knock detection logic and therefore no need to make any changes to the map in order for it do so.

With more extreme cold temps, I would make sure you are running a good quality full synthetic oil (good recommendation for any turbo Subaru and actually required by Subaru in later models) and the proper weight for your conditions. Also it becomes even more critical to not put a lot of load on the engine until fully warm (also a good recommendation for any turbo Subaru). Also, if the car is parked outside, you'll want to invest in a block heater.

You may see more boost in colder temps. It would be a good idea to do some logging as winter comes around and make sure boost control looks good. These maps include LWG (low wastegate maps) for cars that are overboosting with the NWG (normal wastegate) maps. With the factory turbo for these cars, you also can loosen the wastegate arm to reduce boost.

Bill
Old 09-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #25
ENY169
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 125552
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
05 legacy 2.5i wag

reason why i ask is because a local tuner was concerned about the stg2 normal WG map. he said cobb's map is not set up to see loads further than say 2.10 in the pri ign table. he was worried it may have been knocking this whole time but i had no way of knowing since it was scaled that way from cobb. subaru's 2L injectors gets maxed out by the really cold dense air areas down south may not have. you may be able to get more information about this from littlebluegt. im pretty sure he's a member here

i guess it would be fine if i had bigger injectors. certainly not stock
ENY169 is offline   Reply With Quote