Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
jj_carvell
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 284153
Default 09 rod bearing.. & no warranty -swap time.

09 2.5i sport in canada 80k, rod bearing went, im in the middle of warranty with subaru, but im not getting into that in this thread. Basically missing 3 out of 16 receipts but have lic tech signatures for them. Me being a 4th yr apprentice wasnt good enough (finally decided to get licence, doing this for 12 years or more)

THE DEALER PUSHED MY CAR OUTSIDE WITH MY EXHAUST, OIL PAN, PICKUP TUBE OFF THE CAR FOR 5 WEEKS, IN THE RAIN & HEAVY COASTAL FOG. I MEAN HEAVY FOG. 5 nice days in there.
Not even a rag stuck in the heads.

Since my valves & bottom end are probably F'ed I may be into more than a shortblock which is $2k. Longblock is $4500

While I take it dry from subaru I can get an 06 wrx complete enging with 50k hit in the back. Harness, ecu, everything. I can also get 06 wrx engine only 70k. have to work out the differences & some input from fellow subie owners would help.

I also have a 06 wrx so reference is easy & I am very good @ research, electrical & also have mitchell1 @ work. Believe me ive found lots of reasons not to swap, but ive been hit by 3 deer, parts are cheaper, labor is free, shop to use & 6 techs to help. It can be done cant it? Besides I dont have warranty, & new 09 parts are only 90 day. The value is gone anyway (deer,motor, did I mention the no warranty)

I need a car to drive, for now the gauges & such dont matter but still need to be addressed. Speed fuel & tach would be nice

I have a parts list going between the 06 wrx engine, my 09 body & some 09 wrx pieces.

Need the gurus & experts oppinion & im open to all thoughts.
Which would be best? 09 wrx harness/ecu/immobilizer on 06 engine, or 06 harness/ecu & splice/re-pin to 09 car?

My issues with the 06 harness spliced:

CANbus: Im not able to really check into it until monday but I take it the 06 isnt going to have it so some more pin/wire research to do, 07s maybe? If I have to loose my fuel economy gauge for good so be it.

Key immobilizer: use my 09 key reprogrammed? or the 06 wrx key in my dash?, wrx has chipped key doesnt it? Or 09 wrx key?

Fuel pump assembly: anyone know yet if the 06 & 09 are interchangable? Walbro fuel pump noproblem, but 3 lines on 06 wrx & 2 on 09 2.5i I belive? Use 09 wrx unit/lines & walbro OR use 06 unit & pump in my tank?

Clutch: push or pull? 06 wrx is push 09 2.5i is pull (or vice versa) can the slave cyl be swapped? or use my 09 clutch (bully or centerforce etc) untill the trans or diff blow, or are the trans outputs the same to use my axles/shaft with the 06 trans?

These are my Main issues to work out to add to my parts list, id like as much on paper (you know what I mean) before I get the final no from subaru & call my lawyer. If they continue to deny warranty than this week I am ordering & getting started.
Thanx in advance.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jj_carvell is offline   Reply With Quote