Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 9, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
CIATexan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 95189
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default Slight Overboost and weird engine habits after Intercooler Install and Reflash

So here is my current mod list, nothing too major.

SPT Intake
RSR TBE, No cats
and this weekend I installed an APS intercooler.

Pre-Intercooler I had no issues, car runs great.

Issues-
After install I reset my ECU, and reflashed the Stage2-91oct-CA map. Started up fine, so I took it out for a cruise round the neighborhood. within 200 yards of the house, the motor throttled up to 5k on its own, I put in the clutch and it maintained revs till I turned off the car and coasted to a stop.

I waited a few, and started it up again. It idled high at about 1250 rpm, which its continued to intermittently idle higher than normal.

Its been 3 days, and I haven't had the self Rev issue, and the idle has leveled out smoothly, but I am hitting higher than normal boost targets.

Could this have be attributed to the ECU relearning?

Peak boost during pulls gets anywhere between 17.5 and 18.1 PSI, my AF ratios level out to 11.3 at WOT.
CIATexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Idle issues would indicate that you have a leak as a result of the install, although it wouldn't cause you to throttle up to 5k RPM. Can you describe in more detail what happened when that occurred? Is the check engine light on?

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
CIATexan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

So I installed the intercooler, all fittings were tight and dialed. After installing, I went into my Accessport (V2) and cleared the ECU. Just for good measure, I did a permanent reflash of the Stage2 CA 91 octane map. Turned off the car for 30 seconds, then started it.

Upon starting it fired up immediately, and went into a slightly high Idle. (appx 1100k rpm). I let it idle, and it settled down to around 8.

I then backed out the driveway and started heading down the street, there is a slight uphill climb and i left it in 2nd gear to go up it, revving to about 4k. The pedal then dropped out from my foot, and the car slowly throttled up to 5 on its own. I let out the clutch, and it held 5k.

I turned off the car an rolled to a stop on the right shoulder, and restarted the car. It Idled at around 9-1250 rpm for the next 5 minutes I drove around. During that time I boosted the car up to 16.8psi.

The next day I started it up, and it idled smoothly around 1k, then dropped to its usual idle. After that it has been really well mannered. Boosts up nicely and feels great, its just higher boost than what the parameters suggest.

No check engine light at all. I drove it for 3 hours after work, everything from surface streets, mountain passes, and highway and it feels good.

Should I be concerned about the higher boost? Its still the stock turbo. I'm planning on downloading your beta stage2 map to give that a try this weekend.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Which vehicle/year is this?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
CIATexan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

2002 WRX wagon.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:13 AM   #6
CIATexan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

I've been running the same tune for appx 6k miles, no issues.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

That is an odd issue. I would make sure that the throttle cable isn't binding.

I would recommend getting a pressure test of the intake done.

If you can do so safely, try to get a 3rd gear log from 2000 RPM to about 6500 RPM on the beta map. We can then get a good idea of what boost control looks like.

Bill