Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 30, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
chodeman07
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 246896
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Default Stage 2 93 Octane not reaching full boost

Hey all, was wondering if you could take a look a datalog I have. It is about 80-115 seconds of my logging with the accessport. 100.52 seconds to 106.92 is my "3rd gear pull" although I could only start at 4k to 5.3k rpm due to traffic and such(didn't want to be too much of a douche on the road).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

Anyways I am not hitting my target boost as indicated by the TD Boost Error. I was hoping you all could take a look at the other information which I have no what it means and helpe me out! My modifications are:

-2007 Subaru WRX TR
-Accessport V2 - Stage 2 93 Octane
-HKS 3" Downpipe
-HKS 3" Hi Power Exhaust
-SPT short ram intake (listed as safe on COBB site)
-Forge BPV recirculated with blue spring (23-30psi CAME WITH ORDER)

Any more information you need, please let me know! Anything you all can do to help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by chodeman07; 09-27-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Missed a couple words
chodeman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
chodeman07
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Also, please note I do have the yellow spring, green spring, red spring and another blue spring with 2 shims for the BPV if that will help.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
chodeman07
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Update:

Looked around the forum and people stated that catless downpipes and exhausts tend to drive the wastegate crazy (e.g wastegate opening prematurely) and the posts by some knowledgeble people suggest adjusting the wastegate acuator arm. Also checked out Cobbtuning and some posts mention it. Good idea or bad?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

I would find an area where you can safely start the run at a lower RPM (around 2000 RPM). This will give us a better idea of what the boost picture looks like.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
chodeman07
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Will do this afternoon. I'm going to have to do a 2nd gear pull as there is no place safe enough to do a full 3rd gear pull. Will post at around 5pm. Thanks for your reply!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
chodeman07
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Here is a 2nd gear pull from this morning on my way back. Hope you can help me understand it!!!!

FYI, I adjusted the wastegate acuator arm 2 full turns and have reached 15.7psi
Old 09-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Did you tighten the wastegate arm before or after this log?

It appears that you are still underboosting. Keep in mind, though, you will not always hit your target in 1st and 2nd (definitely not first). So, if you tighten the wastegate arm to hit the target in 2nd gear, you might overboost in the higher gears. 3rd gear is a good compromise to get your boost dialed in. See if you can do a run in 3rd gear from 2000 RPM or so on up (if it is safe to do so). You don't necessarily have to run it up to near redline. A little over 5000 RPM will still telll you if you are hitting your peak target.

Bill
Old 09-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
chodeman07
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Beforehand I tightened 2 full turns. After i saw your reply, then I played with it some more and if I tighten it as far as I can, I still underboost 3rd(only hitting 13psi instead of the 15.5 +/- .7) and over boost 4th and 5th (18psi).

Last edited by chodeman07; 09-28-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: added in my actual boost in gear 3
Old 09-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
chodeman07
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

Sorry, double post!! But does everything else look reasonable or is there anything I should be concerned about other than underboosting?

Last edited by chodeman07; 09-28-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
chodeman07
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

I was just reading the COBB forums and a mention was made about the blank plate HKS Downpipe causing issues. This is the downpipe I own and have installed, could this be the issue?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeman07 View Post
I was just reading the COBB forums and a mention was made about the blank plate HKS Downpipe causing issues. This is the downpipe I own and have installed, could this be the issue?
Possibly. I would not tighten the wg arm all the way.

Really, a 3rd gear log from 2000 RPM on up is the best way to see what boost control is doing, if you can do so safely. If not, how were you determining the peak boost in 3rd gear when you tightened the wg arm all the way (what RPM did you start the run at)?

Bill
Old 09-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
chodeman07
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

I didn't do a full 3rd gear run, I just did 2k to 4k at 100% throttle. I want to figure this out as soon as possible, so I will attempt to find an empty stretch of highway and do a 2k-5k 3rd gear run
Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
chodeman07
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

I was able to do a 1890-4800rpm run in 3rd gear *safely*. This is with the wastegate acuator tightened 2 full turns tighter than the stock position.

As I know, the boost is low, about 3-4 psi. Is there anything else that looks alarming?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
SSP6
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 260374
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
WRB

according to the a/f learn, you're not running rich under boost, so i'm leaning against a leak, the maf looks good as does timing and no knock. my friend had a underboost issue with the same DP ur running, switched to a bellmouth and problem solved. talk about a low volume/ turbulent design.
SSP6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
chodeman07
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX STI Sedan
Ice Silver Metallic

That might be the next purchase. I just bought new intercooler pipes for the top mount and new vacuum hoses just to eliminate those possible issues. Both those items look like hell so better safe than sorry.

Also, you state I'm not running rich, am I running lean???
Old 09-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #16
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeman07 View Post
That might be the next purchase. I just bought new intercooler pipes for the top mount and new vacuum hoses just to eliminate those possible issues. Both those items look like hell so better safe than sorry.

Also, you state I'm not running rich, am I running lean???
A/F Learning isn't going tell you anything about whether you are running rich or lean during your WOT run. A/F Learning 1 is only determined in closed loop and applied in closed loop except for the last range (D) that will also be applied in open loop. With a boost leak, we would generally expect to see more extreme negative fuel trims in the higher ranges as metered air is being lost. Your long-term fuel trims don't exhibit this problem, although if you were reflashing maps or resetting the ECU often and hadn't had enough driving before these logs, then there may not have been enough time for the long-term fuel trims to show a potential issue.

I would get a pressure test of the intake done first, just to rule out leaks. From there, you can tighten the wastegate arm on the turbo to see if you get enough boost that way (the HKS DP might be the problem here).

Bill
Old 10-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #17
SSP6
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 260374
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
WRB

sorry my bad on the a/f learning coment. i wasnt thinking correctly.
SSP6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #18
zpl2
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 264713
Vehicle:
04 wrx
psm

hey i had a similiar problem on my 05 sti only was making like half stage 2 boost. well i did a diy leak test and turns out the turbo inlet hose had a small hole in it from a clamp poking it. I put in a new inlet hose and back up to full boost
zpl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #19
coleswrx02
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 352026
Default 02 wrx stage 2 93 octane not hitting full boost!

I'm new to the cite and am in need of answers lol My 02 wrx has a K&N short ram intake with a full 3in cat back exhaust system. im not sure of what down pipe is on the car previous owner installed it. I have checked all the seals and they look fine on the cobb website it says i should hit 17psi at full boost and im only hitting 11.4 from what the cobb AP tells me. I'm in 3rd and 4th gear when i try to hit full boost. Also it says i should be putting out 285awhp and im only doing 240awhp. Please if any has any suggestions let me know.
coleswrx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #20
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleswrx02 View Post
I'm new to the cite and am in need of answers lol My 02 wrx has a K&N short ram intake with a full 3in cat back exhaust system. im not sure of what down pipe is on the car previous owner installed it. I have checked all the seals and they look fine on the cobb website it says i should hit 17psi at full boost and im only hitting 11.4 from what the cobb AP tells me. I'm in 3rd and 4th gear when i try to hit full boost. Also it says i should be putting out 285awhp and im only doing 240awhp. Please if any has any suggestions let me know.
Hi there.

The K&N Intake is not compatible with our maps. Although not likely the cause of your boost issue, using the wrong intake can potentially cause load errors which will effect fueling and ign. timing and can induce knock. This is why it is critical to run only the tested and verified intakes compatible with a given map. For our off-the-shelf (OTS) maps for this car, only the Cobb SF intake or stock intake are compatible. For all others, you will want to look into getting a custom tune for the Accessport.

As far as the boost issue, after you get the intake issue above fixed, try to get a data log as outlined in the video below, if you can do so safely:

Bill