Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
John_The_Ripper
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321870
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Platium Silver Metallic

Default JDM EJ205 into my 03 WRX

alright. so. I have looked at a few threads on here and have been getting varying information. I am just looking for a nice engine to put into my 03 WRX so I can sell it and get it off my hands because i have enough toys as is and need cash for another project. anyway. theres alot of these JDM EJ205 engines on ebay and they are going for a great price. If I were to go ahead and get one, from what i have been reading...the only thing that would be different would be the fact that I would no longer have AVCS, right? or are there other complications. also i understand that the compression is different? would that be of much concern? i just dont want the next owner to call me complaining it broke and that they want their money back and all that sort of hell.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
John_The_Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
damonmlime
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 54525
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: morgantown wv
Vehicle:
2000 00rs 2x91ss 95l
blue ridge pearl

Default

Bump. Can we get a definitive of what fits? Prefer from people who have actually done it. No speculation lol!
damonmlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:16 AM   #3
mwood079
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 335352
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Johnstown, NY USA
Vehicle:
2003 wrx wagon
psm

Default

Bump. Im looking for information on this same swap, I do believe that a 03 usdm wrx is non avcs, but I may be wrong. would a similar year jdm ej205t, non avcs fit, plug and play, into a 03 usdm wrx? will the us ecu work with a tune? I would expect a code for the tgv valves because I know the 03 range jdm ej205t doesnt have tgv valves, Also is the ignition the same on these engines?

This is where I have been looking to purchase a jdm engine, so far they seem like a legatimate company, I have heard a few bad stories about ebay engines.

http://www.shopjdmstar.com/product/0...-ej205d-motor/
mwood079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
ToneWrx02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239095
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Goteborg, Sweden
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

All usa version of ej205 is non avcs.

Some jdm ej205 come with avcs.

If you get the right jdm ej205 you wont have to change any wiring or anything.
Just a tune.

Downside to that you will have abit less power since cams will be retarded since avcs isnt working and avcs cams were left in there.
Power different will not be noticible at all and if you do this method next owner wil have alot less work to do to get avcs working.

If you get the wrong ej205 you will have to swap over quite a few things like intake mani with engine harness, head covers, cams.
ToneWrx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
ToneWrx02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239095
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Goteborg, Sweden
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood079 View Post
Bump. Im looking for information on this same swap, I do believe that a 03 usdm wrx is non avcs, but I may be wrong. would a similar year jdm ej205t, non avcs fit, plug and play, into a 03 usdm wrx? will the us ecu work with a tune? I would expect a code for the tgv valves because I know the 03 range jdm ej205t doesnt have tgv valves, Also is the ignition the same on these engines?

This is where I have been looking to purchase a jdm engine, so far they seem like a legatimate company, I have heard a few bad stories about ebay engines.

http://www.shopjdmstar.com/product/0...-ej205d-motor/
Also thats a rip off. I got mine complete with transmission for 1400$ and i even sold the trans for 600$ which was a steal for the persom that bought it since it has shorter gears
ToneWrx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
JoshP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94350
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: S. Maine
Default

The pic isn't an 02-05 either, that is the older manifold 99-01. That's the one you need to swap manifold and cam gears.

Honestly guys if you can't handle an EJ205 to EJ205 swap on your own, then just get the proper engine you need. It's very very mild compared to most things people get into.
JoshP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
mwood079
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 335352
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Johnstown, NY USA
Vehicle:
2003 wrx wagon
psm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneWrx02 View Post
All usa version of ej205 is non avcs.

Some jdm ej205 come with avcs.

If you get the right jdm ej205 you wont have to change any wiring or anything.
Just a tune.

Downside to that you will have abit less power since cams will be retarded since avcs isnt working and avcs cams were left in there.
Power different will not be noticible at all and if you do this method next owner wil have alot less work to do to get avcs working.

If you get the wrong ej205 you will have to swap over quite a few things like intake mani with engine harness, head covers, cams.
thanks for the info, for example, is this jdm ej205d, turbo, non avcs engine I posted the link one of the plug and play engines, or what jdm engine would I need for a us 03 wrx to install and not have to change over all these parts?
mwood079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
ToneWrx02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239095
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Goteborg, Sweden
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood079 View Post

thanks for the info, for example, is this jdm ej205d, turbo, non avcs engine I posted the link one of the plug and play engines, or what jdm engine would I need for a us 03 wrx to install and not have to change over all these parts?
The problem is, there is alot of jdm ej205 and alot of vendors dont know what year they really come from.

Like someone else said its really confusing and easier to buy a used engine usdm from someone else or a working engine. Most junktards sell a wrx engine for 1400$ with 1 month warranty.
ToneWrx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
damonmlime
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 54525
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: morgantown wv
Vehicle:
2000 00rs 2x91ss 95l
blue ridge pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneWrx02 View Post
The problem is, there is alot of jdm ej205 and alot of vendors dont know what year they really come from.

Like someone else said its really confusing and easier to buy a used engine usdm from someone else or a working engine. Most junktards sell a wrx engine for 1400$ with 1 month warranty.
1 month warranty isn't really worth much. The wrx engines I see around here are usually about that price but they have over 100k. I'd much rather take my chances on something that has less than 50k on it. I bought a ej20g off ebay and couldn't be happier. Just my .02
damonmlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
ToneWrx02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239095
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Goteborg, Sweden
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonmlime View Post

1 month warranty isn't really worth much. The wrx engines I see around here are usually about that price but they have over 100k. I'd much rather take my chances on something that has less than 50k on it. I bought a ej20g off ebay and couldn't be happier. Just my .02
A month is plenty. Swapping the engine takes less then a day. You can compression check it, etc if its bad then you return it.

Remember tjis guy doesnt want unique or anytjing he just wants a running engine so he can sell the car.
ToneWrx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
damonmlime
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 54525
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: morgantown wv
Vehicle:
2000 00rs 2x91ss 95l
blue ridge pearl

Default

So can someone point us in the direction of what will work with the least amount of swapping over?
damonmlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
ToneWrx02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239095
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Goteborg, Sweden
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonmlime View Post
So can someone point us in the direction of what will work with the least amount of swapping over?
Yea a stock usdm ej205... not hard to find
ToneWrx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
Wcp912
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 307372
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza
White

Default

I bought a JDM EJ205 on ebay from alnjdmmotors a couple of months back for 1100, it came off a 2001 Forester SF5. Had to swap intake manifold, metal crank and cam gears, coolant bypass tube, cam and crank sensor. Also JDM EJ205's has a higher compression rating(9.5:1) compared to USDM(8.5:1). After install and a tune it's good to go.
Wcp912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #14
ToneWrx02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239095
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Goteborg, Sweden
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcp912 View Post
I bought a JDM EJ205 on ebay from alnjdmmotors a couple of months back for 1100, it came off a 2001 Forester SF5. Had to swap intake manifold, metal crank and cam gears, coolant bypass tube, cam and crank sensor. Also JDM EJ205's has a higher compression rating(9.5:1) compared to USDM(8.5:1). After install and a tune it's good to go.
Again their is several version of a jdm ej205. My info is by far the most correct.
Let the man get a usdm engine for sale that he can most likely find here on the forum or car parts.com and have a simple swap
ToneWrx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #15
flyinzuke912
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 353311
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Gun Metal

Default

Whatever you get make sure that it is DBC equal to or newer than '02 and if it has AVCS try to work in an ECU on the deal. After that you should just need a bulkhead wiring kit from IA for the AVCS (around $200)and.. voila!
flyinzuke912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #16
damonmlime
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 54525
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: morgantown wv
Vehicle:
2000 00rs 2x91ss 95l
blue ridge pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneWrx02 View Post
Again their is several version of a jdm ej205. My info is by far the most correct.
Let the man get a usdm engine for sale that he can most likely find here on the forum or car parts.com and have a simple swap
Some people don't want usdm. Myself included. I found a local engine in a junkyard, $1500 and has 130k on it....why would I want that when I can have a much lower mileage JDM engine for a couple hundred more. I just need to know what works with the least amount of work. I don't mind swapping intake manifold, I just need to know which will work.
damonmlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #17
ToneWrx02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239095
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Goteborg, Sweden
Vehicle:
2002 Wrx
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonmlime View Post

Some people don't want usdm. Myself included. I found a local engine in a junkyard, $1500 and has 130k on it....why would I want that when I can have a much lower mileage JDM engine for a couple hundred more. I just need to know what works with the least amount of work. I don't mind swapping intake manifold, I just need to know which will work.
Read the original post, seriously the guy just wants to sell his car with the least amount of headache.
ToneWrx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #18
02wrx mattallgood
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 387271
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: florida
Vehicle:
02 wrx
sonic yellow

Default

So if you chnage the crank and cam gears would you have to change the timing belt?
02wrx mattallgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:09 AM   #19
papag69
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 226995
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

I'm in the middle of a usdm ej205 to jdm ej205 longblock swap going into my 02' Bugeye. There are a few differences in which I have found between the two.

First, my MY Rex did not have AVCS so I shopped for a used low milage jdm that didn't and paid $1700 shipped. Did a Leak Down test because just a compression test won't give you info on if you have cylinder head leakage. Personally I don't want to have to go through all the trouble of changing everything over if I got a bad block. That being said all was good so I proceeded.

Main differences- intake manifold, fuel rail and injectors, oil cooler & water pump (jdm doesn't have and water pump is of a non-oil cooler design), crank sprocket, left head intake cam sprocket ( both sprockets have different pickup sensor profiles) coolant bypass tube that runs from the pump to the turbo (usdm bends up 90), coolant hose from bypass tube on block to throttle body, and intake tube to turbo inlet.

You will need to swap over all of these components from your usdm to the jdm.

Everything else is plug and play on the block as you should be reusing your power steering pump, alternator and A/C compressor.

The reason I'm having to replace my baby's engine is because the jerkoffs I trusted to put a reman in her 3yrs ago failed to put a timing belt guide (VERY IMPORTANT ON MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!) over the crank sprocket, Causing belt whip while engine braking and snapping off cylinder #3's exhaust valve when it slammed into the piston, cracking the piston and ruining the head.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to go this route to get their baby back on the road without having to drop $5k for a reman.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by papag69; 04-12-2014 at 07:17 AM.
papag69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #20
papag69
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 226995
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02wrx mattallgood View Post
So if you chnage the crank and cam gears would you have to change the timing belt?
Yes, Yes, and uh....... YES
papag69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #21
papag69
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 226995
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcp912 View Post
I bought a JDM EJ205 on ebay from alnjdmmotors a couple of months back for 1100, it came off a 2001 Forester SF5. Had to swap intake manifold, metal crank and cam gears, coolant bypass tube, cam and crank sensor. Also JDM EJ205's has a higher compression rating(9.5:1) compared to USDM(8.5:1). After install and a tune it's good to go.
Not true, the compression ratio for gas burning turbocharged ej205's are the same. Normally aspirated engines and diesels are the only engines with the higher compression ratio.
papag69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #22
papag69
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 226995
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

Swap complete!!!. Everything running as it should. Found out it was running a little lean due to a faulty fuel pressure regulator, so I put a pinhole restrictor that was placed in the vacuum tube to the guage on the steering column in the line from the regulator to the manifold, which raised the pressure from 33psi to 34.5 psi and resolved that issue.

Also found out that the knock sensor and coolant reservoir were also different.

Next diy mod will be making an air oil separator from the unused coolant reservoir off of the JDM engine.

Soooo Stoked!!

She's Alive, ALIVE!!!
papag69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #23
papag69
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 226995
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

Just to let anyone who's interested know. It is imperative that you put a timing belt guide on engines that are being fitted to vehicles with manual transmissions. Otherwise you will be looking at replacing yours when your engine experiences belt float, especially if you have a lightweight flywheel.
papag69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:47 PM   #24
03slowrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 382277
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default

If you are installing a used motor and your switching cam/crank gears, manifold, ect ect... Why not do everything while you're in there. Head gaskets, timing belt, all hoses, ect ect... Just my $0.02
03slowrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #25
papag69
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 226995
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default

Because my budget was only $2200 and I'd have to purchase even more parts, the swap did include a new timing belt, lower intake manifold gaskets, oil cooler seal, coolant, oil and filter,gasket sealant and the imperative timing belt guide (I got the Tomei). I already had new valve cover gaskets on the old block so I reused them, not to mention the engine came with a turbo (with almost no shaft play). As far as putting on new head gaskets, the leakdown test didn't show that was warranted, not to mention the time and effort to do everything as well as the headache of doing that. I needed her back on the road ASAP and she runs strong, so I'm happy.

Last edited by papag69; 04-30-2014 at 09:32 AM.
papag69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.