Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday April 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
STINY11
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 285661
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2011 STI
Dark Grey Metallic

Default 2011 STi Footwell Illumination

Footwell Illumination kits are standard on STi's for 2011 (per their website and brochures at least) but I'm curious if other people have the same issue I'm having.

Mine has the red illumination kit, but it is only on when I unlock the car and the dome light is on, and it stays on until I insert the key and turn it, then the lights all fade off pretty quickly.

I was told by one of the mechanics at the subaru dealership that when they install a kit on a WRX or an Impreza that the lights are tied directly to whether the exterior lights are on or not. He didn't know if the STi was supposed to do the same or if it was different so I'm asking ya'll.

Let me know if you have an STi and your illumination kit does the same thing that mine does or if it works when the exterior lights are on.

Also, I'm only interested in knowing if other 2011 STi's have the same issue, because it seems to be only an STi thing, not a WRX or Impreza issue from what I can tell.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
STINY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
jay7660
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 212992
Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
SWP

The floor lights only come on when you open the door, then they fade when you start the car. Thats what i've noticed on mine. Sounds about right what you say.
jay7660 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
furiouswrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 283048
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Ltd Hatch
SWP

I have the red footwell illumination on my 2011 WRX and it stays on when the exterior lights are on. Puzzles me why Subaru didn't do the STIs the same way.
furiouswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
jay7660
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 212992
Vehicle:
2011 STI Sedan
SWP

It might be how there connected on the WRX. Does the WRX have the center console illumination also? That light does stay on after the key is turned.
jay7660 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:44 AM   #5
jman3113
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 297333

i recently got the illumination kit on my 2011 wrx. it turns on when you turn on the headlights.
jman3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
2011OBPWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 296791
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2011 wrx
OBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7660
It might be how there connected on the WRX. Does the WRX have the center console illumination also? That light does stay on after the key is turned.
Yes, center light always stays on in the 2011 wrx.
2011OBPWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
VinSVT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 77637

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7660 View Post
The illumination kit I installed in my 2011 WRX tied into the center console light.... which is why it stays on with the headlights.

I'd bet the STI lights don't tie into the center console at all.
VinSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
STINY11
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 STI
Dark Grey Metallic

So, when they say that the STi comes with the footwell illumination kit, what they really mean is that it comes with something that almost functions like the footwell illumination kit...

Anyone with an STi figure out how to make the lights stay on with the headlights too?

Also, if you have one on the WRX, do the lights turn on when you unlock the car and fade out when you turn the key if the headlights are off? And do they turn on when you turn off the car, and also when you open the door?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
VinSVT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 77637

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINY11 View Post
So, when they say that the STi comes with the footwell illumination kit, what they really mean is that it comes with something that almost functions like the footwell illumination kit...

Anyone with an STi figure out how to make the lights stay on with the headlights too?

Also, if you have one on the WRX, do the lights turn on when you unlock the car and fade out when you turn the key if the headlights are off? And do they turn on when you turn off the car, and also when you open the door?
This thread has a couple people with STi's asking similar questions.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2246374

On my 11' WRX the lights only come on with the headlights.
VinSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
STINY11
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 STI
Dark Grey Metallic

To close this thread up:

I ended up buying and Installing the Footwell Illumination Kit yesterday. With the STi you have to either drill a new hole for the driver side lights to be installed, or move the original courtesy light.

My solution was to just pop out the original light (which was shining through the hole used to mount the driver side illumination kit), then install the illumination kit where it's supposed to go, and apply the extra adhesive that comes in the kit (it's supposed to be used if you have a Forester I think) to the original courtesy light and mount it on top of the kit light so that it's visible above but to the side of the kit light.

This allowed me to avoid drilling and I didn't need to go buy any extra parts for fancy mounting methods. I don't think you can really even tell that it wasn't professionally installed, as it's not visible unless you put your head up under the dash. Here's what it looks like with both on at once.

The standard courtesy lights are more of an orange-ish color while the Red LED Footwell Illumination Kit is definitely much more red. So, when the door is opened, the courtesy lights turn on (orange-ish but definitely on the red side), and when I close the door, they stay on until the key is inserted and turned. The courtesy lights then dim to off. When I turn on the headlights, the RED footwell lights turn on. If you have the headlights on and the door open, both lights are on. I have them mounted so close to each other on the driver side that you can't even tell it's not just one light...it just gets brighter with both on. On the passenger side, they're a little more separated and you can kind of see a little bit of orange to the side of the red, but I think it still looks very good.

I would definitely do this if you have an STi and you want your footwell lights to work whenever you have your headlights on.