Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 26, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
samus143
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 270802
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 wrx
Snow

Default Can't access stock map on COBB AP

Hi everyone, I'm having trouble accessing the stock map for my 06 WRX that was saved on my Cobb AP.

I recently updated the software that Cobb provided and all the maps that were once MTv102 are now MTv300, that's great, but now I've noticed that when I scroll down the selection menu on the Cobb AP all the maps that I have loaded into the Cobb AP light up and can be selected except the stock map MTv111.

I've tried searching here on nasioc and did a general google search to see if anyone else has had the same issue but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sam
samus143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
samus143
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 wrx
Snow

Okay so I've done some more research and I also emailed Travis from Cobb but he has yet to respond to my PM.

To my understanding the Cobb AP saves your stock map or has a similar stock map already in the AP preinstalled that I cannot access untill I uninstall it, at least that's what I read from another thread/forum, is this true and has anyone heard of such a thing?

So if I were to unmarry it will the factory stock map, which should be in the AP even though it does not indicate as such on the map list be reflashed into my ECM and will the AP be able to safely be uninstalled?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Rancid
Scooby Guru

Member#: 3272
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2014 FiST
White

When you go through the install process, your stock map is saved in the background on the AP. Then, when you un-install the AP, your stock map is re-installed. There is no way to access this map while the AP is installed. There is a stock style or Stage 0 map if you want something for comparison purposes.
Rancid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Hi there.

The following applies to the v2 AP:
The stock map that was previously shown on the AP was not the actual map that was backed-up when you installed the AP, but a map with stock tuning values and our proprietary code which is necessary for the AP to recognize it is married to the car and in order for you to perform real-time map/tuning changes. We removed this "installed stock mode" map from the AP because it was confusing to a lot of people. However, you can still download the installed stock mode map from our site and reflash it to your car:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3061

If you want to have your ECU to be 100% original as it was before you installed the AP v2, then you will need to uninstall the AP.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
samus143
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 wrx
Snow

Okay understood. Thank you Bill and Rancid for clarifying this up for me.

Sam
Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
chomdh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 147931
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi
World Rally Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
Hi there.

The following applies to the v2 AP:
The stock map that was previously shown on the AP was not the actual map that was backed-up when you installed the AP, but a map with stock tuning values and our proprietary code which is necessary for the AP to recognize it is married to the car and in order for you to perform real-time map/tuning changes. We removed this "installed stock mode" map from the AP because it was confusing to a lot of people. However, you can still download the installed stock mode map from our site and reflash it to your car:
http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3061

If you want to have your ECU to be 100% original as it was before you installed the AP v2, then you will need to uninstall the AP.

Bill
Thank you for the explanation. I was just about to wipe a hard drive and then thought, hey, I had better back up my APMaps. I was scouring that hard drive for the stock map file and now thanks to you, I can stop and rest easy that the OEM base map will remain on the APv2 until I un-marry it from the car.

What if my APv2 unit goes bad? is my OEM base map gone forever?
chomdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomdh View Post
Thank you for the explanation. I was just about to wipe a hard drive and then thought, hey, I had better back up my APMaps. I was scouring that hard drive for the stock map file and now thanks to you, I can stop and rest easy that the OEM base map will remain on the APv2 until I un-marry it from the car.

What if my APv2 unit goes bad? is my OEM base map gone forever?
You can back-up your OEM "map" via the "Expose ECU Data" option found under the "AccessPORT" menu. Then use the AP Manager software to copy that file from the AP to your computer (file will show as type "ECU data").

Bill
Old 12-09-2011, 03:10 AM   #8
subaru714
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 282454
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2006 wrx wagon
steel gray metallic

Hello there. I have a question. My car was tuned open source(unknown) and I installed the cobb ap afterwards with the fuel saver map. While I was installing the fuel saver ap map it said it was saving my "stock ecu settings". I wanted to know if the ap was actually saving a completely stock ecu map, or was it saving the open source map that was on the ecu and telling me that it is a stock map. Once i unmarry the ap from my car. Should the ecu map be completely stock or will it install back my open source tune map that was on my car before I installed the cobb ap. Thanks.
subaru714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Rancid
Scooby Guru

Member#: 3272
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2014 FiST
White

The AP saved your Open Source map and should put that map back on when you uninstall.
Rancid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru714 View Post
Hello there. I have a question. My car was tuned open source(unknown) and I installed the cobb ap afterwards with the fuel saver map. While I was installing the fuel saver ap map it said it was saving my "stock ecu settings". I wanted to know if the ap was actually saving a completely stock ecu map, or was it saving the open source map that was on the ecu and telling me that it is a stock map. Once i unmarry the ap from my car. Should the ecu map be completely stock or will it install back my open source tune map that was on my car before I installed the cobb ap. Thanks.
The AP v2 will back up whatever map is on the car and it will put that same map back on when you use the uninstall menu option. That is true whether the original map is the factory map, an OS tune, or whatever.
Bill
Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
subaru714
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 282454
Vehicle:
2006 wrx wagon
steel gray metallic

Quote:
The AP v2 will back up whatever map is on the car and it will put that same map back on when you use the uninstall menu option. That is true whether the original map is the factory map, an OS tune, or whatever.
Bill

how do I obtain a factory map for the Cobb AP so I can flash it back to stock. Reason why is becuase I need to take it to a dealer for repairs.
subaru714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru714 View Post
how do I obtain a factory map for the Cobb AP so I can flash it back to stock. Reason why is becuase I need to take it to a dealer for repairs.
Unfortunately, there's not a way to do that with the AccessPORT. It is designed to restore the ECU to its original state, which, in your case, is an OS ROM. Your best bet would be to reflash a stock ROM using an OS cable and the Ecuflash software with the AP uninstalled.

You can download the "installed stock mode" map from cobbtuning.com and reflash that to the ECU with the AP. That would give you the factory tune, but it would still have the code necessary for the AP to recognize the install and allow real-time map changes, etc. That wouldn't technically be the stock ROM, but it would drive and act like stock. But, once you uninstalled, you would be back to your original OS ROM.

Bill
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
chomdh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 147931
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX STi
World Rally Blue

Quote:
You can back-up your OEM "map" via the "Expose ECU Data" option found under the "AccessPORT" menu. Then use the AP Manager software to copy that file from the AP to your computer (file will show as type "ECU data").

Bill
OK This just worked for me no problem. The AP can be set to "Expose ECU Data" when it is connected to the PC BEFORE opening the AP Manager software. If AP Manager is opened, you can't change the settings on the AP itself.
chomdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomdh View Post
OK This just worked for me no problem. The AP can be set to "Expose ECU Data" when it is connected to the PC BEFORE opening the AP Manager software. If AP Manager is opened, you can't change the settings on the AP itself.
That is correct. Sorry that I wasn't more clear.

Bill
Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #15
OhSixAspenSTi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 318275
Vehicle:
2006 E85 STI
ASPEN WHITE

Quote:
Bill
sorry to bring this thread back peoples but i do have a relative question im unsure about, i also have a open source tune but ive recently obtained a ap for cheap, if i were to intall it ,sounds like i would have to run one of the preset maps OR get a re-tune with the ap , correct ? only reason im skeptical of installing the ap is that im not sure if the preset maps would support my current set up and considering my oriiginal map would not be accessible when the ap is installed, my car will not run the same..

so based off that im assuming i would not be able to run my current map with the ap installed ? i would like to run my current map but use the features of the ap such as performance test, a/f ratio etc thanks in advance and sorry if this all sounds redundent lol
OhSixAspenSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Unfortunately there is no direct compatibility between an AP map and an OS map. The AP will pull your OS tune as the stock map and save it, but the only time that map will be used is when you uninstall the AP to go back to stock.

What modifications do you have on your car? If you beyond our pre-made maps, then you will need to look into getting a custom AP map made.

You can contact a Subaru Pro-Tuner about getting a professional tune or you can use our AccessTUNER Race software, which is a free download, and create your own custom maps for the AccessPORT. Some of our tuners also offer e-tuning if there is not a professional tuning shop where you live. Depending on the level of modification of your vehicle the tuner may require that you have access to a wideband O2 sensor so that air/fuel ratios can be accurately monitored on your car.

Chris
COBB Tuning
Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
OhSixAspenSTi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 318275
Vehicle:
2006 E85 STI
ASPEN WHITE

Quote:
Unfortunately there is no direct compatibility between an AP map and an OS map. The AP will pull your OS tune as the stock map and save it, but the only time that map will be used is when you uninstall the AP to go back to stock.

What modifications do you have on your car? If you beyond our pre-made maps, then you will need to look into getting a custom AP map made.

You can contact a Subaru Pro-Tuner about getting a professional tune or you can use our AccessTUNER Race software, which is a free download, and create your own custom maps for the AccessPORT. Some of our tuners also offer e-tuning if there is not a professional tuning shop where you live. Depending on the level of modification of your vehicle the tuner may require that you have access to a wideband O2 sensor so that air/fuel ratios can be accurately monitored on your car.

Chris
COBB Tuning

wow thank you chris for such a fast and informative response. i figured that was going to be the case. i guess now i need to decide if i wanna save it for the future for the next tune or just sell it since i cant use it in the mean time. im basically full on stage 2 with fmic and a big 16g which im pretty sure is outside preset maps...so we will see what happens. thanks again !! and yes a wideband is on the list of things to get lol
OhSixAspenSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
streetking
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 244036

When you do a map export on the new ap v3, it doesnt allow you to change the name of the exporting map. does it overwrite the stock map that was saved to the ap during the installation process?

In other words, if I initially installed the ap by picking the valet map,then do a map export, and then uninstall the ap, would the ap flash back the valet map to the ecu instead of the stock map?
streetking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetking View Post
When you do a map export on the new ap v3, it doesnt allow you to change the name of the exporting map. does it overwrite the stock map that was saved to the ap during the installation process?

In other words, if I initially installed the ap by picking the valet map,then do a map export, and then uninstall the ap, would the ap flash back the valet map to the ecu instead of the stock map?
If you had a stock map on the car (or whatever map) at the time of installing a v2 or v3 Accessport, that exact image is backed up and then put back on if you uninstall the Accessport. That is, what every was on your car's engine control unit (ECU) before you installed the Accessport, will be restored when you uninstall the Accessport. You cannot change what is reflashed when the Accessport uninstalls. The "Expose ECU Data" function simply allows you to make a copy of the backed-up image, but not use it in any way. That copy could be installed by us if we are servicing an Accessport that was defective or damaged that lost the backed up file.

Bill