Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default Questions about Boost.

I've got an 05 WRX. Got my AP and have been fiddling around with it lately and noticed a few things that were kind of off.

First, running the 93oct map Cobb says I should be making approx 14lbs boost. I did a pull in 3rd and managed 10.5. So should I run the HWG version to get boost up?

If so, why isn't my car making the target boost. Cobb's site says something about if it's not making target boost there may be a mechanical problem; something that I may have to adjust. If they say that, then why is there a HWG map?

Also, if I'm accelerating from a stop; just regular light driving, the boost will go from -10 up to about .8-1.0, this is at about 2-2.5k rpm, but then it will slowly drop down to -4 to -8 and stay there as long as im crusing at that speed.

Why is it doing this? Is that normal?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by MakuseruSukotto; 10-25-2011 at 01:14 PM.
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakuseruSukotto View Post
I've got an 04 WRX. Got my AP and have been fiddling around with it lately and noticed a few things that were kind of off.

First, running the 93oct map Cobb says I should be making approx 14lbs boost. I did a pull in 3rd and managed 10.5. So should I run the HWG version to get boost up?

If so, why isn't my car making the target boost. Cobb's site says something about if it's not making target boost there may be a mechanical problem; something that I may have to adjust. If they say that, then why is there a HWG map?

Also, if I'm accelerating from a stop; just regular light driving, the boost will go from -10 up to about .8-1.0, this is at about 2-2.5k rpm, but then it will slowly drop down to -4 to -8 and stay there as long as im crusing at that speed.

Why is it doing this? Is that normal?
The HWG map is necessary due to car-to-car variations that may impact the ability to hit target boost. But, there are many other reasons why a car may not hit target boost, including mechanical issues, altitude (peak boost listed is for sea level), or the peak boost is not being determined correctly. To determine if you are hitting peak boost, you want to do a 3rd gear run wide open throttle run from about 2000 RPM up to near redline (if you can do so safely).

Do you have a version 1 AccessPORT (black brick-looking device) or version 2 (gray with color screen)?

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
The HWG map is necessary due to car-to-car variations that may impact the ability to hit target boost. But, there are many other reasons why a car may not hit target boost, including mechanical issues, altitude (peak boost listed is for sea level), or the peak boost is not being determined correctly. To determine if you are hitting peak boost, you want to do a 3rd gear run wide open throttle run from about 2000 RPM up to near redline (if you can do so safely).

Do you have a version 1 AccessPORT (black brick-looking device) or version 2 (gray with color screen)?

Bill
It's a V2 Accessport.

My peak of 10.5 came from a 3rd gear pull. 2000rpm to 6800rpm.
And as far as altitude, I'm at roughly 1200ft, and it was probably 60F outside.

I'm going to flash the HWG map today and give it another pull and see what happens.
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakuseruSukotto View Post
It's a V2 Accessport.

My peak of 10.5 came from a 3rd gear pull. 2000rpm to 6800rpm.
And as far as altitude, I'm at roughly 1200ft, and it was probably 60F outside.

I'm going to flash the HWG map today and give it another pull and see what happens.
Before flashing the HWG map, I would first switch to the new v310 beta maps (will soon be the new current maps). Try the normal wastegate map first:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2233868

Reflash the v310 beta map to your car and then do a data log as explained in this video:

Then post up your logs on google docs and link to it here (make sure you set the permissions to public). We can then take a look at your logs and see how things are before switching to the HWG map.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

I'll try that today.

Awesome support by Cobb!

Thanks guys.
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

Ok, I flashed v310.

Still making low boost, 11.37 peak.

Here's the google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Gc&output=html

One other thing that concerns me is that Fine Knock Learn goes to 0.35 during high boost. It's that always suppose to be at 0?

I appreciate you guys at Cobb looking at this!
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakuseruSukotto View Post
Ok, I flashed v310.

Still making low boost, 11.37 peak.

Here's the google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Gc&output=html

One other thing that concerns me is that Fine Knock Learn goes to 0.35 during high boost. It's that always suppose to be at 0?

I appreciate you guys at Cobb looking at this!
It appears that you are still running the v300 map. Make sure you download the v310 map and make sure you select the v310 rather than the v300 map when reflashing (when you go to change maps via AP, it will list the version in the map description).

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
It appears that you are still running the v300 map. Make sure you download the v310 map and make sure you select the v310 rather than the v300 map when reflashing (when you go to change maps via AP, it will list the version in the map description).

Bill
That log was from a v310 map.
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakuseruSukotto View Post
That log was from a v310 map.
The timing in the map is not right for the v310 map based on that log. There are two possibilities here:

1. We had a bug in the older beta maps for the 04 WRX that impacted one of the timing maps. Can you tell me when and where you downloaded your beta map and the exact name of the map?

2. You need to make sure that you reflash the beta map when you go to change maps. Do not select the real-time flash option. This is because some of the timing maps will not be changed if you flash via real-time.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #10
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

It was a link here on nasioc somewhere. The map is called Stage 1 93 Octane v310.

It was just flashed real-time though. I'll do a real reflash today with the map you linked me to.

Can you comment on that fine knock of .35? Should I be worried?
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

Did a pull from 3k to 5.5k.

Still topped out at 11.4 PSI.

Fine Knock stayed at 0 this time though.

I'll try the HWG version tomorrow.
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #12
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakuseruSukotto View Post
It was a link here on nasioc somewhere. The map is called Stage 1 93 Octane v310.

It was just flashed real-time though. I'll do a real reflash today with the map you linked me to.

Can you comment on that fine knock of .35? Should I be worried?
That isn't an issue. You were effectively running only a portion of the changes designated by the v310 map by only flashing it real-time so let's see how the v310 reflash does now.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #13
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
That isn't an issue. You were effectively running only a portion of the changes designated by the v310 map by only flashing it real-time so let's see how the v310 reflash does now.

Bill
I did the normal reflash and posted the log above.

No fine knock, but still boost was just 11.4psi.
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakuseruSukotto View Post
I did the normal reflash and posted the log above.

No fine knock, but still boost was just 11.4psi.
Can you post a link to your latest log on the v310 relfash? The last log I see is the one you posted on 10-21 which wasn't running the full v310 reflash.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
Can you post a link to your latest log on the v310 relfash? The last log I see is the one you posted on 10-21 which wasn't running the full v310 reflash.

Bill


Sorry about that, I thought I posted it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

There we go.

And again, that's for the support!
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakuseruSukotto View Post


Sorry about that, I thought I posted it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

There we go.

And again, that's for the support!
Yeah, I would go ahead and flash the HWG v310 map. Try to start your WOT run at around 2000 RPM, if you can do so safely.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #17
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
Yeah, I would go ahead and flash the HWG v310 map. Try to start your WOT run at around 2000 RPM, if you can do so safely.

Bill
I started much earlier, but forgot to press the log button.


Now do I need to do a complete reflash, or will an OTF reflash work?
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakuseruSukotto View Post
I started much earlier, but forgot to press the log button.


Now do I need to do a complete reflash, or will an OTF reflash work?
You need to do a complete reflash with these maps (i.e. connect the test mode connectors, choose "reflash" when changing maps, etc). Do not flash as real-time.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #19
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
You need to do a complete reflash with these maps (i.e. connect the test mode connectors, choose "reflash" when changing maps, etc). Do not flash as real-time.

Bill
Alright, I'll do that. What's the point of the real-time flashing then?
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakuseruSukotto View Post
Alright, I'll do that. What's the point of the real-time flashing then?
Real-time flashing should be used if you are making temporary relatively minor changes on top of your reflashed map. For example, running anti-theft, fuel economy, valet, etc

Real-time flashing maps allow for changes to about 10 or so of the most typically tuned tables for boost, fuel, timing, etc. Reflashed maps allow for changes to those tables plus any of 300+ tables defined by our tuning software and changes to the ECU for any additional features such as launch control. As such, it is critical that you reflash maps when using a newer map version or changing mods (such as going from stage 1 to stage 2), to make sure that you get all the changes in the tune. Use the real-time for temporary changes as described above.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #21
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
Real-time flashing should be used if you are making temporary relatively minor changes on top of your reflashed map. For example, running anti-theft, fuel economy, valet, etc

Real-time flashing maps allow for changes to about 10 or so of the most typically tuned tables for boost, fuel, timing, etc. Reflashed maps allow for changes to those tables plus any of 300+ tables defined by our tuning software and changes to the ECU for any additional features such as launch control. As such, it is critical that you reflash maps when using a newer map version or changing mods (such as going from stage 1 to stage 2), to make sure that you get all the changes in the tune. Use the real-time for temporary changes as described above.

Bill
I didn't know that.

Thank you very much!
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #22
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

Flashed the HWG map.

Peak boost was lower than the normal stage 1.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...GdzZtekE#gid=0

Peak of 10.96 PSI @4600rpm.


Any idea why I can't reach target boost on any maps?
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #23
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakuseruSukotto View Post
Flashed the HWG map.

Peak boost was lower than the normal stage 1.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...GdzZtekE#gid=0

Peak of 10.96 PSI @4600rpm.


Any idea why I can't reach target boost on any maps?
There's a lot of car-to-car variation in boost control with these cars. The next step would be to tighten the wastegate arm a bit at a time until you hit target boost.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #24
MakuseruSukotto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293159
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Cookeville, TN
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
There's a lot of car-to-car variation in boost control with these cars. The next step would be to tighten the wastegate arm a bit at a time until you hit target boost.

Bill
Would you recommend flashing back to the normal map and then doing that? Or staying with the HWG map and doing it?
MakuseruSukotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #25
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakuseruSukotto View Post
Would you recommend flashing back to the normal map and then doing that? Or staying with the HWG map and doing it?
I would stay with the HWG map for now. Tighten the arm in small increments (half-a-turn), then log to check boost, and tighten again, until you get close to your target boost (within 1 psi).

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about boost/duty cycle setting for AVC-R KillerRex Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 13 07-31-2002 10:06 AM
Question about boost controllers kotaro Legacy Forum 2 07-06-2002 06:45 PM
Question about boost line vacuum and a MBC. Cjchaps Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 2 05-28-2002 09:26 PM
quick question about boost gauge vacuum? marvd00d Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 5 04-28-2002 01:46 AM
Question about boost on auto WRX WRX_02_227 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 1 01-04-2002 09:24 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.