Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
klys
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 225974
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default stock wrx my 93 MAP readings ej20g

Well I'm having problems with my turbo/ stock boost controler. My ecu is an U8 with J1 in place, so stock map.

I'm currently boosting at .5 bar ~7psi. I feel it as the car if slugish.

I once got the car to boost close to 1 bar (as indicated on my gauge)
the car pulled very nicely and the next pull, the car was back to .5 bar

What's strange is that I get .5 bar at 2800 rpm and keeps it very steady up to 6000rpm...

I tested for leaks but found none.
I rechecked the piping and cleaned the inversion valve(the one before the MAP that switches for manifold to atmospheric pressure)

another strange thing is that when I undo the pipe that goes to the MAP, in Evoscan, I get a -0.4 bar reading when it should be 0?

and when I log the data and boost, I barely manage to get 0.09 bar (when a mecanical gauge tells me I'm around 0.5)

I wondering if anyone else as taken time to look at the values returned by evoscan or another software?

or if anyone has any ideas?

I did the coil conversion to MY04 wrx, and it worked fine, once
I get spark on all four cyl now.

before I had 2 original coils that were missfiring.

When I do boost, I hear a loud sound that seems like the wastegate is bleed a whole load of precious exhaust... I'd need a camera to see what's happening
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
klys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
klys
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

I did a datalog yesterday with a friend,
what we did is: we left the wastegate to atmosphere and while keeping a close eye on the boost gauge, we did get the turbo to reach 1 bar easily at around 3200 rpm...

however the car didn't pull like it once did.

so we redid a test and this time we logged the timing.

Wow, what a shocker. timing from 1000 to 2500 was normal, well to my knowledge anyway, but when boost started coming up, timing went from 25 down to 3 and even 0 degrees... WTF?

ĢI don't have check engine on, but could it be that my knock sensor detects knock like hell?

I did try the car with my KS disconnected, but it still ran poorly.

I will post a small graph of the Timing vs rpm out of evoscan once I figure the setting for getting the exact time frame for my 2nd gear pull I did
Old 11-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
klys
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

with everything settled ignition wise, the problem persited with stock ECU. I'm thinking the ECu sees Knock, and pulls timing and boost

I finally decided to reinstall the chip that originally came with the car when I both it.
It's a UV Eprom (the single fujistu 1028) with a sticker for AIsDEV or something(anyone have heard of them?)

WOOW that car is a monster now.... Though I managed to hit boost or fuel cut .... as boost seems to peak above 1.1 Bar....I remember the seller saying it was "tuned" to go to 18 psi... which I think is a bit extreme for my taste and the td05h...

how does the boost cut happen, and how can I tame my boost?

can my basically straight 3" turbo back and kn intake filter be to much to cope for the slow boost control solenoid?

I do believe my boost restrictor is still in place

thanks for any input or suggestions
Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
klys
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

bump?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:19 AM   #5
pmugabi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 280926

Just seen this post now so I'll answer your questions from your first post as well.

The Evoscan MAP sensor calibration is wrong. The closest I have got to (empiricially) is (x-67)/67. This will return the MAP sensor reading in bar. It's not very correct but it's closer than the Evoscan value. Please log IAM as well, it's at 0x1353.

The timing that you logged to zero is simply not possible. The stock ECU map is unable to get the timing to zero, at the very least you will have base timing + 0 advance timing (can't exactly remember the name of the map).

The stock boost cut happens when boost hits 1.15bar as measured by the MAP sensor.

I don't think the 93 cars have a boost restrictor (at least mine works fine without it), they have a 3 port boost solenoid which is capable of controlling boost without a restrictor. I would recommend either reprogramming the chip (about $150 for a programmer and eraser) or a manual boost controller to control the boost.
pmugabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
klys
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

yeah I ordered a voodoo MBC...

i'll try that conversion factor next time!

At least it tells me that it's my MAP sensor is not necessarily done for.

here's the current chip it's running...

I got this board, that I'm going to try.

http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/ecumod.html

Edit: here the current chip inside. Anyone has heard of this company?

I would like to know at what address in the .bin the boost pressure setting is though... information is hard to come by

Last edited by klys; 12-01-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added a pic
Old 12-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #7
pmugabi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 280926

Download ecu_defs.zip from http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/download.html
It's a Romraider definition for the 93-95 cars and includes the boost, wastegate and fuel cut settings.
pmugabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
Jarrod164
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 253937
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
White

All I could think while reading all this crazy testing is that you have a crappy boost controller. Seems to happen a lot. Replace it and you're good to go. I don't know why everyone goes so wild with their testing haha.
Jarrod164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
ltizzy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 241783
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza Outback
ej20g

I had inconsistent power on my 93 with U8 ECU. Turned out it was tuned for greater octane gas. The timing is too advanced when cruising, which causes knock, and the ECU turns down the advance. There is a field you can add to Evoscan that will show you the ECU setting. I could see mine go up and down like a yoyo simply commuting to work. Sounds like the other prom isn't susceptible to that issue. I solved my issue with a PFC.
ltizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
klys
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX
Plasma Blue Pearl

thanks for the inputs guys!