Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
mikeparry
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 263431
Vehicle:
2003 wrx
wrc blue

Default car wont start! please help ive tryed everything!

hey guys
so im working on my roommates car heres the story
was running good 2 nights ago but the fuel was almost right out, he went to start the next morning and it would crank but no fireing
my diagnosis was fill up the tank, i then changed the fuel filter but left the line that leaves the filter off, made sure there was fuel pumping.. check
next i give it a puff of ether, fires right up then dies, so it has spark of some sort
get pissed off and pull the plugs, 2 were completely ****ed i dont understand how it was running before, anyways with plugs and ff changed still nothing, pulled 1 easy plug out, it was dry even after repeaded attempts at starting i still want to say theres no fuel..., it trys right as you start to crank then nothing
i pulled off what i thought to be the return fuel line... expected fuel to come out when u prime with the key on, nothing came out, is this normal?
could the car fire on ether with a very small spark but not with fuel? could the coilpack and wires be the issue
im very frustrated now and would greatly appreciate any advice or help
oh the car is a 2000 legacy with the ej252
thanks again
mike
mikeparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
poly_poly-man
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 262988
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
Regal Blue Pearl

really sounds like it's just a fueling issue - check each part of the system down the line (try the pump, try the injectors, etc.), and you will probably find your issue. My bet is on a messed up pump.

When you switch the key to "on" without cranking, can you hear the pump cycle?
poly_poly-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
mikeparry
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 wrx
wrc blue

yes if u read the entire story i said in there that i left the line off the filter when i was priming it, there is plenty of fuel pumping through to that point, the prime cycle lasts for approx 4 seconds each time
would you expect to see fuel coming out of the return line or not?
how do you check injectors?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
TheBussman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 293647
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
black

fuel should be coming out of the return when the fuel pump is running. essayist way to check if your getting injector pulse is noid lights.
TheBussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
robertbt7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 273661
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX

Check your coil pack and replace the wire and plugs if they are really jacked up; you will probably not find your problem there. I would bet the fuel system is fine from what you say.

When was the timing belt changed last? I have had teeth strip off on my old Ranger with the same sort of results If the fuel is going in at the wrong time it will never start.

I also had a problem with my 02 LGT not idleing when I went to start it. I spent 2 days trying to figure it out, and another two days at a local shop before I took it to Subaru Dealer who found the Problem in half an hour($80 sensor on the throttle body).

Check the codes, It probably threw one or two; you may just have to bring it to a shop that specializes in Subarus.

I know these sorts of problems can be a PITA so good luck
robertbt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
WcW
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 209963

Start with the obvious problem first. The car will not run until there is fuel pouring out of the fuel return line (make sure you have the right one and that they are hooked the right way! the purge line is there too). If you have run the pump 20+ times to fill the filter and such then you should check the filter itself, could be that it is obstructed or (?) installed backwards. Checking the plugs might have been a good idea but if you knew there was a fuel issue then it was out of order. It is possible that the fuel pump died or that the wiring harness (pump and sender) suffered some damage. Fuel first, ignore the timing belt and everything else until fuel comes pouring out of the fuel return line.
WcW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
mikeparry
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 wrx
wrc blue

Thanks for all the replys guys, the timing belt is not the problem because it runs on ether which means the timing is correct, the fuel return line if i am correct is directly below where the fuel supply line goes to from rubber to steel line, does anyone have a picture breakdown of the fuel system?
Would blowing compressed air through the line to check for a possible clog cause serious injector problems?
As for checking the injectors i do not have the tool to check for it
I did go to subaru and quiz them, they were not any help so im all on my own haha
Old 11-07-2011, 03:34 AM   #8
donald.o.dupuis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 285257
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 impreza 2.5i
greyish lol

could try checking fuel pressure on rails maybe there should be what looks like a valve stem attachment/ac line attachment on the rail i havent looked on a subaru but most other cars have em have it run the priming cycle then take a small screwdriver etc. and press the center pin should see some fuel pool up or squirt out
donald.o.dupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
mikeparry
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 wrx
wrc blue

Yeah i assumed there would be somewhere to check for pressure but i could find no such thing on this car
Old 11-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
mikeparry
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 wrx
wrc blue

So he took the car to subaru they diagnosed it to be the fuel pump... I guess it wasnt supplying enough pressure and there was also a screen on the that was screwed
Old 11-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
WcW
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 209963

thanks for following up!
WcW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
wmdoucette
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 192709
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2007 2.5iSE Wagon CG
2001 2.5RS Coupe RBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeparry View Post
Yeah i assumed there would be somewhere to check for pressure but i could find no such thing on this car
For the record, Subaru does not use a test/bleed port on the fuel system. The only way to bleed off fuel pressure (the procedure in the FSM) is to unplug the pump relay and crank the engine dry.

This makes fuel system diagnosis challenging, but with a few brass or AN fittings, a valve from any Honda fuel rail can be plumbed in without much trouble.
wmdoucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
mikeparry
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 wrx
wrc blue

So subaru figured it out to be some electrical connection in the pump assembly so good for them i wasnt about
To dig that deep