Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
clegg318
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 257378
Vehicle:
2007 STI Limited
UGM

Default fine knock learn pulling timing

ive finished my 2.1 build and currently breaking it in. its running a vf39/pinks/sti tmic plus tgv deletes. im currently using the ots map for this setup with the timing pulled across the table by 4 large increments. ive been watching my knock feedback and the car is running happy reading 0 all the time unless i bog the car down in 4th or 5th. as such i keep the car out of those situations.

here is my issue. before i can get the car tuned i need to put mileage on it and drive it to and from work to work on it in my bay. the car drives fine with no knock feedback. after 100 or so miles the car starts to pull tons of timing(seen in fine knock learn) in the lower rpm's in every gear but with no knock feedback. if i drive the car with 15% or less throttle(barely enough to accelerate) it runs smooth but if i add any more throttle it pulls the timing and the car loses all power eventually leading to a bucking situation. when this is happening i still see no knock feedback. i thought fine knock learn was a learning based off of the knock feedback? unfortunately i dont have any logs at this time to post up, i will put them up as soon as it happens again and i log it. from you experienced guys, any ideas whats going on here? i know the power loss is from the 11+ degrees of timing being pulled but what im asking is why is it pulling timing if its seeing no knock? any help would be much appreciated, i just don't wanna do any damage before i get it tuned.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
clegg318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by clegg318 View Post
ive finished my 2.1 build and currently breaking it in. its running a vf39/pinks/sti tmic plus tgv deletes. im currently using the ots map for this setup with the timing pulled across the table by 4 large increments. ive been watching my knock feedback and the car is running happy reading 0 all the time unless i bog the car down in 4th or 5th. as such i keep the car out of those situations.

here is my issue. before i can get the car tuned i need to put mileage on it and drive it to and from work to work on it in my bay. the car drives fine with no knock feedback. after 100 or so miles the car starts to pull tons of timing(seen in fine knock learn) in the lower rpm's in every gear but with no knock feedback. if i drive the car with 15% or less throttle(barely enough to accelerate) it runs smooth but if i add any more throttle it pulls the timing and the car loses all power eventually leading to a bucking situation. when this is happening i still see no knock feedback. i thought fine knock learn was a learning based off of the knock feedback? unfortunately i dont have any logs at this time to post up, i will put them up as soon as it happens again and i log it. from you experienced guys, any ideas whats going on here? i know the power loss is from the 11+ degrees of timing being pulled but what im asking is why is it pulling timing if its seeing no knock? any help would be much appreciated, i just don't wanna do any damage before i get it tuned.
I'm assuming that you are the same person who posted about the surging at the Cobb forums? Feedback knock has nothing to do with fine knock learning. They are two separate knock responses. Fine knock learning is a learned correction based on knock in and of itself. The ECU decides (based on conditions) whether to use feedback knock correction (the default) or changes to fine knock learning or changes to the DAM.

Your car needs a custom tune. With built motors you can sometimes see more false knock, but I wouldn't take a chance here. Get it tuned ASAP.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
clegg318
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 257378
Vehicle:
2007 STI Limited
UGM

yeah im planning on getting it tuned as a soon as i can, ive just been a little busy with the death of my mother in law so my wife is in pieces and im just trying to keep her together let alone devote any significant time to my car. actually i wasnt the guy who posted on the cobb forum, i was just wondering if there was any changes i could go in and make in the mean time for safety, i think im just gunna let her sit till i get her tuned, there should already be enough mileage on the engine to be considered broken in. thanks for the feedback
clegg318 is offline   Reply With Quote