Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
cueball89
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90513
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2003 wrx wagon
black

Default knocking/ pinging when cold?

It was about 30 degrees f this morning, I had audible pinging when driving. I thought it was just my ears playing tricks on me but later when the car was warm I plugged in my accessport and had learned value of -9 flkc. The dam was still at 16 somehow... These values zeroed out immediately once I held the specific load and rpm.

The drive was about half a mile in a 30mph then on to a 55mph road that had 1 hill and one mountain. I accelerated gently and shifted at 3000rpm.

Is this something mechanical or with my map? My map is an ots stage 2 from cobb with modified wgdc, turbo dynamics and intake temperature compensations tables to work with a 3 port boost controller.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cueball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball89 View Post
It was about 30 degrees f this morning, I had audible pinging when driving. I thought it was just my ears playing tricks on me but later when the car was warm I plugged in my accessport and had learned value of -9 flkc. The dam was still at 16 somehow... These values zeroed out immediately once I held the specific load and rpm.

The drive was about half a mile in a 30mph then on to a 55mph road that had 1 hill and one mountain. I accelerated gently and shifted at 3000rpm.

Is this something mechanical or with my map? My map is an ots stage 2 from cobb with modified wgdc, turbo dynamics and intake temperature compensations tables to work with a 3 port boost controller.
This is a 03 WRX? What are all your mods? Do you have any logs?

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
cueball89
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90513
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
2003 wrx wagon
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
This is a 03 WRX? What are all your mods? Do you have any logs?

Bill

Yes, 03 wrx. Tbe, gutted up pipe, k&n panel filter and a GP Moto Intake Elbow. I don't have any logs when it happened.

My dad has also said he heard his car making similar noises on the same road when cold.
07 wrx vf39, tbe and k&n panel filter. 130kmiles and ringlands on #4 died.
cueball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball89 View Post
Yes, 03 wrx. Tbe, gutted up pipe, k&n panel filter and a GP Moto Intake Elbow. I don't have any logs when it happened.

My dad has also said he heard his car making similar noises on the same road when cold.
07 wrx vf39, tbe and k&n panel filter. 130kmiles and ringlands on #4 died.
When you start to see extreme corrections like that, it is either something rattling in the engine bay that the knock sensor is picking up (i.e. false knock) or you have a major mechanical issue. If it only does it when cold, it is more likely that it is false knock and you are hearing whatever is making the noise. Typical problem areas are loose turbo heatshield, factory uppipe with broken heatshield welds, and tranny dipstick touching turbo heatshield. But, it could be anything (esp. metallic) that is rattling.

Beyond that, I would try to get a data log of the knock, as long as you don't have to put the car under too much load to do it. Then we can go from there.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
knocking when cold... (not pinging) POSBUTAWD Normally Aspirated Powertrain 11 01-05-2008 09:43 PM
Heavy knocking sound when motors cold nitrohuffer Legacy Forum 12 11-12-2003 10:37 AM
Knocking when cold normal? RoadRashed Service & Maintenance 12 03-02-2003 09:09 PM
UTEC engine knocking when cold WRXOwner7 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 11 12-29-2002 08:10 PM
Engine knocking when cold fixed 7nth_Son Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 18 07-14-2002 09:36 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.