Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Outback Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
kmartin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 65346
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Vehicle:
2012 Outback 3.6 Ltd
Ruby Red

Default Owners' Pros and Cons for 2011-12 Outbacks

I thought I would start a thread specifically geared to thoughts on the latest OB, the 2012. Would LOVE to hear your thoughts, as well!!!

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6 Ltd, Ruby Red

My thoughts so far, after one month of ownership...

PROS:
- Quiet, smooth, comfortable ride
- Nice upholstery, well appointed styling, comfortable seats
- Telescoping steering wheel
- Visibility
- MPG very competitive in this class
- HP in 3.6 H-6 competent for windy roads and mountains
- Paddle shifters are way cool
- Passenger and cargo room (esp. leg room!)
- h/k stereo is fantastic!
- WAY more features for the money than in comparable/competitive vehicles
- Misc: safety ratings, styling, ground clearance, retractable roof rails, backup camera

CONS:
- Seat heater buttons to easily pushed
- Electronic e-brake button hard to see/find
- Inability to change iPod playlists while moving
- Homelink buttons hard to see on mirror, and don’t work when key is off
- Rear headrests block some of the back window view (not as much an issue with b-u cam)
- Seems they require synthetic oil (not sure, but was told this by dealer???)

JURY’S STILL OUT:
- Radio/Nav controls/buttons too small and unintuitive
- “Handsfree” may turn out to be an oxymoron
- Satellite radio
- Tires...very smooth on dry pavement but only limited experience in wet weather

WISH LIST:
- PLEASE update the Navigation! (hard drive based for easier, cheaper updates!)
- Rear AC fan controls (I will miss this most ab my Tribeca)
- Mute button on steering wheel with upgraded h/k stereo (how was this omitted???)
- Power rear hatch lift and/or rear window latch

OTHER OBSERVATIONS:
- HP in 2.5 H-4 not nearly as peppy as the (drove one for 2 weeks this past summer)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
kmartin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 65346
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Vehicle:
2012 Outback 3.6 Ltd
Ruby Red

Default

Anyone add the wheel arch moldings? Wondering what those would look like on my red OB. Any thoughts?
kmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 3409
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Woolley
Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

Default

2.5s get pretty good fuel economy - I got 34ish cross-state in one.

I've installed wheel arch moldings on a few, no red ones though.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
boxered
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 61884
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Location: buying guns
Default

The 2.5 has been great over the first six months. Just got back from a camp trip and these things seem tailor made for such things. Yeah, I looked at a 3.6 but 24 mpg highway was not in the cards.
boxered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
kmartin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 65346
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Vehicle:
2012 Outback 3.6 Ltd
Ruby Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoTheCat View Post
2.5s get pretty good fuel economy - I got 34ish cross-state in one.

I've installed wheel arch moldings on a few, no red ones though.
Cosmo, what's the dealer install #hours for the wheel arch moldings? Just curious. Do you think they look more rugged, or not???

-Karen in AZ-
kmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 3409
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Woolley
Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

Default

Honestly I'm somewhat of a horrible tech... I don't ever ask how much something pays. I don't think it's more than 1 to 1.2 hours or so.

I do like the way they look, but it depends a bit on the wheel/tire package and sometimes the color.

You can always ask your dealer if they'll tape them up and let you take a look before you buy. They may not go for it, but remind them that you're one of their customers who get owner surveys that impact their wallets...
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
Craigs92X
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 147159
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Vehicle:
2012 Outback Limited
Modless....

Default

I have a 2012 2.5i Limited w/ HK radio, and have no issues changing the ipod playlist while moving.

Craigs92X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
egenz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300750
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zebulon, Georgia
Vehicle:
2012 Outback Premium
White

Default 2012 Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin View Post
I thought I would start a thread specifically geared to thoughts on the latest OB, the 2012. Would LOVE to hear your thoughts, as well!!!

2012 Subaru Outback 3.6 Ltd, Ruby Red

My thoughts so far, after one month of ownership...

PROS:
- Quiet, smooth, comfortable ride
- Nice upholstery, well appointed styling, comfortable seats
- Telescoping steering wheel
- Visibility
- MPG very competitive in this class
- HP in 3.6 H-6 competent for windy roads and mountains
- Paddle shifters are way cool
- Passenger and cargo room (esp. leg room!)
- h/k stereo is fantastic!
- WAY more features for the money than in comparable/competitive vehicles
- Misc: safety ratings, styling, ground clearance, retractable roof rails, backup camera

CONS:
- Seat heater buttons to easily pushed
- Electronic e-brake button hard to see/find
- Inability to change iPod playlists while moving
- Homelink buttons hard to see on mirror, and don’t work when key is off
- Rear headrests block some of the back window view (not as much an issue with b-u cam)
- Seems they require synthetic oil (not sure, but was told this by dealer???)

JURY’S STILL OUT:
- Radio/Nav controls/buttons too small and unintuitive
- “Handsfree” may turn out to be an oxymoron
- Satellite radio
- Tires...very smooth on dry pavement but only limited experience in wet weather

WISH LIST:
- PLEASE update the Navigation! (hard drive based for easier, cheaper updates!)
- Rear AC fan controls (I will miss this most ab my Tribeca)
- Mute button on steering wheel with upgraded h/k stereo (how was this omitted???)
- Power rear hatch lift and/or rear window latch

OTHER OBSERVATIONS:
- HP in 2.5 H-4 not nearly as peppy as the (drove one for 2 weeks this past summer)
Just picked up my 2012 White Premium Outback last Friday. Absolutely love it. We went to the dealership intending to buy a 2012 Impreza that had just arrived. After a test drive we were surprised that the Impreza is really uncomfortable. We then drove an Outback and could really see and feel the improvement in comfort and quality that goes well beyond the price difference. Comfort, payload and mpg are the real pro's. The con is that I cannot get the bluetooth voice activation to work well. It never is able to determine the phone number that I am speaking. Will work on it some more and if I can't get it to work we will be going back to the dealer.
egenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
bradze
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 103208
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yelm, Wa
Vehicle:
2011 Outback
Azurite Blue

Default

i love mine so much, wish i'd gotten the 3.6r though. its hideous so i painted some things, put on the wheel archings, getting headlights blacked out, etc... only bad thing i can say is that the climate controls are tiny, but not much of an issue for me. oh yeah, what really pisses me off is how nice and luxurious the EDM model is compared to the spartan USDM version.
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Fordtruck
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313891
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default

Bought a '11 new. Love it wit one exception. It is VERY squirrly in any windy conditions. Head winds, cross winds, tail winds. Is this the way they are? Would different tires with more grip make a difference?
Fordtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
iluvdrt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46248
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: DRTY Autosports Denver, Co
Vehicle:
2012 outback 2.5
sky blue

Default

I just bought a 12 premium 2.5. The cvt is smooth and keeps the power where it needs to be although it is very slow off of the line. The awd works good so far. It has been on some sloppy snow/mud covered trails and performed flawlessly. I love the space inside and the feeling of a larger car coming from a 98 lgt wagon. My biggest complaint is the lack of space in the wheel wells. You can't fit a larger more aggressive tire in there other then geolanders.
iluvdrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
SubaruOutback.org
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 218128
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: USA
Vehicle:
2010 Outback Premium
Granite Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin View Post
- Seems they require synthetic oil (not sure, but was told this by dealer???)
That is a crock, in fact Subaru specifically recommends that you DO NOT use synthetic oil in the latest 2.5L engine (EJ253) nor in the 3.6L. I'm pretty sure your dealership is attempting to profit from you buying higher priced oil.

That is not to say that you cannot use synthetic oil, but if someone is pushing it on you then they have an agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin View Post
Anyone add the wheel arch moldings? Wondering what those would look like on my red OB. Any thoughts?
Here's a good place to look:

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/Subaru/Ou...uby+Red+Pearl/

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/Subaru/Ou...uby+Red+Pearl/
SubaruOutback.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
norrisja
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315867
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

New to forum. I purchased my first Subaru two weeks ago. Pearl White Outback 3.6R Limited. I absolutely love this vehicle!
norrisja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
TxOutback
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317075
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

I am new to the forum as well. I like my 2012 outback. It is very comfortable. Does anyone know how to install the wheel arch moldings discussed above?
Thanks
Andy
TxOutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
boxered
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 61884
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Location: buying guns
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtruck View Post
Bought a '11 new. Love it wit one exception. It is VERY squirrly in any windy conditions. Head winds, cross winds, tail winds. Is this the way they are? Would different tires with more grip make a difference?
I don't like this characteristic either.

It's a combination of high center of gravity, "skinnier" tires, and relatively light weight for size. It's possible wider tires will help but gas mileage will take a hit, more than likely.
boxered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #16
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 3409
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Woolley
Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

Default

Wide tires will also make it tramline more.

The wheel arch moldings are easy to install if you have basic hand tools and thumbs that work...

If you buy them and have any troubles installing them, shoot me an email and I'll try to walk you through it.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
TxOutback
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317075
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Cool sounds good
TxOutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
iluvdrt
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 46248
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: DRTY Autosports Denver, Co
Vehicle:
2012 outback 2.5
sky blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdrt View Post
I just bought a 12 premium 2.5. The cvt is smooth and keeps the power where it needs to be although it is very slow off of the line. The awd works good so far. It has been on some sloppy snow/mud covered trails and performed flawlessly. I love the space inside and the feeling of a larger car coming from a 98 lgt wagon. My biggest complaint is the lack of space in the wheel wells. You can't fit a larger more aggressive tire in there other then geolanders.


Found a huge flaw that is a deal breaker. I tried to trade it but I would have too much negative equity and Subaru wont do anything about it. The problem??

The Damn CVT. It will not reverse over anything. I got stuck crossing a 3" (yes 3") rut and had to have a friend pull me out. The car sits there and just makes noise. No wheel spin, nothing. I took my 05 OBS across the same place and it performed flawlessly. It wont even back over a 4x4 board. I am so made right now. Why did they give it such a ****ty reverse ratio that it will not back out over anyting. That transmission sucks. I hate this car. Worst Subaru I have ever owned.
iluvdrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #19
hcsi99
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 115175
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Valparaiso, IN.
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza WRX
2012 Outback 3.6R

Default

Just picked up a 2012 3.6R Limited for my wife. So far so good. Drove the 4 cylinder, and didn't like the cvt at all, and the 2.5i was a little under powered. I like the power of the 3.6, and I'm glad it burns regular now. It only has a few hundred miles so I'll keep you posted.

hcsi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #20
Avalon786
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 297031
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Base
WRBlue

Default

Anyone have experience with the 6 speed? Does it feel any quicker than the cvt?
Avalon786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #21
emericareaper2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323008
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indiana
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
OBP

Default

Daniel Tosh owns an Outback. So that's another reason to buy
emericareaper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
jpicheva
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68407
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Memphis
Vehicle:
2005 9-2x Aero
2012 Outback 2.5i 6MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon786 View Post
Anyone have experience with the 6 speed? Does it feel any quicker than the cvt?
We have a '12 2.5i premium 6MT. It "feels" a little quicker and sportier in that you can rev it a little more. It's still sloooow (especially compared to the 2.5XT it replaced).

That said - we love it. Great room, build quality, excellent fuel economy and no more premium fuel.
jpicheva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #23
Mbp138
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324526
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default

Just purchased an Outback with a CVT. I have always owned Subarus with manual transmissions, in fact my other car is a 2006 Legacy manual with 182000 mi on it. I love that car and it still gets 35 mpg. Finding a new Subaru with a manual was next to impossible for me. As a Subaru loyalist, I settled for the CVT and hoped for the best. Well, my experience so far has been disappointing, lackluster performance and 25 mpg on a trip.

With 58 payments to go, can someone please tell me that I will learn to love it as much as my 5 previous Subarus?
Mbp138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #24
gaewsky1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 32017
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Columbus, OH
Vehicle:
2011 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbp138 View Post
Just purchased an Outback with a CVT. I have always owned Subarus with manual transmissions, in fact my other car is a 2006 Legacy manual with 182000 mi on it. I love that car and it still gets 35 mpg. Finding a new Subaru with a manual was next to impossible for me. As a Subaru loyalist, I settled for the CVT and hoped for the best. Well, my experience so far has been disappointing, lackluster performance and 25 mpg on a trip.

With 58 payments to go, can someone please tell me that I will learn to love it as much as my 5 previous Subarus?
There is no performance. The paddles do help a little. Once you break it in you'll see the mpg go up a bit. I average 28 mpg in mixed driving and can get a little higher driving the highway.
gaewsky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #25
tucker2.0
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 200019
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Highland Utah
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza RS
Blue

Default

I have The 2010 2.5 with 6 speed MT.

It is slow compared to other subarus I've owned. I should have gotten the bigger motor. The small motor is also gutless off road.
It is geared to high for off road. I stall out trying to climb enything.
I hate the parking brake!!!!! No more e-braking in the snow. What if your brakes really went out? This is the worst idea ever!!!
And the traction control???? Give me a beak! Just let all 4 tires spin free and let me drive my car! I don't need the brakes comming on and trying to force me to do something I don't want to do. Even if you turn it off, it's not off!
The ebrake is supposed to come off by its self when you put it in gear and start to dirve. This only works about 10% of the time. and if this is not a real function than why would it do it 10% of the time anyway?

If I could go back I would not buy an outback from 2010 and on. I have have had impresa's and outbacks.
tucker2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pros and cons for tmic or fmic Evo Killer Water/Methanol Injection, Nitrous & Intercooler Cooling 30 11-16-2009 02:55 PM
pros and cons for diff. trannys redrex2002 Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 13 05-01-2007 06:25 PM
pros and cons for electric exhaust cutout? STI808 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 21 02-13-2004 04:30 AM
pros and cons for electric exhaust cutout? STI808 Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo) 3 02-11-2004 11:21 AM
air intake for wrx pros and cons TheBaumer Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 25 09-12-2003 06:17 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.