Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 287837
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

Default Opensource 16 bit boost limit

Hello guys, first real post, and yes I've searched.
So anyways I plan on getting an opensource tune and getting rid of my utec, from what I have gathered in a thread from a few years ago, the was a hard limit on boost somewhere around 24.75 psi. Now I have an 05 Wrx with a 20g and am stuck at ~22 until a map sensor is included. But I would like to be able to run more than 24.75. Someone had also said there was a possibility of the maps being found and tweaked, but this was years ago. So basically can I safely run over 24.75 and retain boost cut, etc.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Kill3rWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
eminehart
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 11205
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Dom3-e85-ewg

You could probably change your MAP offset so the Map Sensor is reading lower then actual pressure. so at 24 psi it reads 20 or so. I guess it depends on how high you really want to go with it.

Also it could be a situation where only the Target is limited to 24.75 and fuel cut could be raised beyond that. Also I am not sure if you could add to the 24.75 Target by adding more in the ATM pressure Compensations. It would be easy to experiment with this.
eminehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

Thanks for the reply.
So I'm assuming there is still no way around this without some trickery.
If I offset it, won't that throw off my entire map? Especially affecting light throttle and idle? And also I'm not sure what ATM pressure is. I also wouldn't think you could set the boost cut higher than the 24.75 limit, but maybe they aren't related. But regardless I meant to say I will be keeping my utec, for a few reasons, FF and LC, so I can retain its own boost cut, but using the stock ecu's boost control to keep on target
Old 12-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
eminehart
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Dom3-e85-ewg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill3rWill View Post
Thanks for the reply.
So I'm assuming there is still no way around this without some trickery.
If I offset it, won't that throw off my entire map? Especially affecting light throttle and idle? And also I'm not sure what ATM pressure is. I also wouldn't think you could set the boost cut higher than the 24.75 limit, but maybe they aren't related. But regardless I meant to say I will be keeping my utec, for a few reasons, FF and LC, so I can retain its own boost cut, but using the stock ecu's boost control to keep on target
Well the target boost table only goes up to 24.75 but the fuel cut goes higher up to 1267 PSI Absolute. Using the atmospheric pressure compensation you may be able to raise target above 24.75.
Utec's never seem to run very nicely in comparison to a flashed tune. I am not a fan of piggybacks.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

Well what I plan on doing is using the stock ecu for fueling and timing and utec for its qualities, higher boost cut, being one of them, among some others. But I agree that it isn't the greatest, but the utec is SO easy to tune. I'm also considering saving the headache of map sensors, and just run 22 on daily tune and no boost cut 26-27 when I race, and just keep an eye on boost levels. Dang 16 bit ecu seems like a limiting factor at this power/boost level. any tips on installing a map? Calibration tips etc? Was considering gm for its price
Old 12-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

Also any experience with modded stock injectors. I'm having a lot of trouble getting fuel trims inline at low loads, it seems to swing wildly but never beyond the 25 limit.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
eminehart
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 WRX
Dom3-e85-ewg

For the map sensor just save yourself some time and get one with known calibrations and plugs in directly like an omni. They aren't too expensive about $100.

I have tuned alot of modded injectors and they are generally pretty stable. They aren't id1000's but they arent bad and pretty easy to tune.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

I think it's the utec being finicky. But the omni looks nice but I don't see one for wrx's. Any other options?
Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Member#: 36033
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

I do this on my WRX....i have an AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor and i offest the scaling so by 5.25 psi so that 24.75 psi was actually 30psi.

But i think the best solution to this issue is to just utilize a hallman mbc and a boost gauge and take the MAP sensor completely out of the equation.

i dont really think you should even go through any of this hassle with a 20g. really not worth it.
Phatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

Well as of right now I can control whatever amount of boost I want, i ran 27 lbs yesterday for instance, but my whole point of this was to retain some kind of boost cut, rendering either the map change or manual boost controller useless. My utec handles boost quite easily, just no boost cut over the stock MAP ability, which isn't safe
Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

are you sure the ECU is actually controlling it?

Post a log....normally if you go above 23 psi on a pre-08 ecu the wgdc will stop changing because the ecu can no longer calculate a boost error.

Boost error is calculated from the MAP sensor, so once the MAP sesnor is maxed you can no longer get a boost error. And no more boost error means no more turbo dynamics. No more TD's means no more WGDC changes.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

I'm not controlling anything with the stock ecu, except fueling, but utec adjusts that too. I'm using the utec for boost, but want to move to using the stock ecu.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

^ well the utec is controlling the boost thru the ecu. the limits still apply. if the MAP sensor is maxed the utec cant magically make it read....unless the utec has its own 3bar MAP sensor built in.

Also, i told juanmedina to research this....the 08+ MAP sensors are 3bar, which will get you up to 29psi....so call subaru and see if it is a direct replacement.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #14
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

The utec is in full control of boost past whatever crossover point I tell it to. I can run 30 psi if I want, and am running 25 all around as we speak. Data logs show 24.3~ when maxed out, but my boost gauge indicates otherwise. . And I can get any map sensor, but even the newer Subaru ones I'd would still have to calibrate, but being able to bolt it into the manifold would be nice, good idea. I don't think anyone has the calibration settings for it though
Old 12-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #15
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

I have the MAP calibration.....i mean you can just pull them out of an 08+ rom.

Can you log the boost, target boost, WGDC and turbo dynamics for one of your pulls? I have a feeling your gauge is just reading higher than the ECU. When my ecu is reading 26psi my boost gauge says 30psi.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #16
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

I don't think you understand, no offense. My map stops reading at 24.3 ish, looses resolution at 23, I kept turning up the boost to 25, using my aem gauge as a reference. I don't have a tactrix cable or anything yet. But data logging through the utec, it just always shows 24.3 iirc. I'm not using the stock ecu for anything but it's base fuel map. Utec is full stand alone on timing and boost if you set it to, which I do. So therefore any signals the stock ecu puts out to the solenoid, are by passed. But if the 08+ fit into my 05 manifold I'm sold
Old 12-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #17
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

And I have hit 27 psi on my aem gauge before, so I know that it doesn't stop added wgdc. It's whatever numbers I set in utec
Old 12-15-2011, 04:17 AM   #18
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

well....how about you just log the boost target, boost, wgdc and turbo dynamics and see what they're actually doing.

your boost gauge means nothing. its easy to make a car overboost. that doesnt mean you're controlling anything.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #19
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

I guess you don't understand how the utec boost control works. There is no target, you pretty much manually set the the actual wastegate duty. So in the logs it shows the duty cycle, which is whatever I set it to. And no, I'm not over boosting if I'm running a steady 25 psi from 4-7 grand. I have complete control over boost, I can still add more and take it away.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #20
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

Anyway, all that stuff is besides the point. does anyone know anything about 08+ map sensors fitting into 02-07 wrx's? Will it fit/ work?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #21
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

so the utec completely does away with the turbo dynamics, and initial and max wgdc tables? and just has 1 wgdc table?

and no target boost....so it just always runs the same wgdc and doesnt pull wgdc for overboost situations?

and dont take my questions the wrong way. im just trying to learn. i havent played with a utec in ~8 years. I just cant believe they would set the boost control up without any safety features.

Last edited by Phatron; 12-15-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

Yea now you're getting it. But there are some safety features, you can have boost cut be whatever your map sensor can read, which is good, seemingly because the stock ecu only let's the cut be so high. So utec could boost cut at 40 psi if you choose. And yes, only one map, based on throttle position and rpm, so full throttle it will always run whatever is set to be the wgdc. But it does lack compensation for over or underboost. Which sucks because in higher gears I get boost creep. Which is why I'd like to switch to opensource. The utec basically does do away with everything and directly controls the ebcs. And I wasn't trying to be mean If I came off that way, I enjoy teaching, and learning
Old 12-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #23
Phatron
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
CEO PhatBottiTuning
2006 STi GTX3582 + Meth

It just doesnt make sense that the utec could boost cut at 40psi.....the stock MAP sensor is maxed so how is the utec determining you're at 40psi? I emailed txs to see what they say
Old 12-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #24
Kill3rWill
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
Black

No. I said it could do that for instance, if your map sensor could read high enough. My map sensor max's out at 24 so boost cut set any higher than 24 won't work because the utec will never see higher than 24.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #25
AREA1320
Former Vendor

Member#: 112508

The utec has a gain control feature as well as "duty cycle"

If you are creeping in higher gears you can actually tune your map for a certain load column such as 80% or so. The. Use the 90-100% column as your "high gear" safety net. I see too many tuners just shove a high number all over the boost map in the utec and leave it not actually tuning the map.

Ron, if you have an aftermarket map installed, i believe the utec will follow it up to 50psi.

The utec is still a great unit, the sd feature is flawless and the dumbed down design of the timing board is easy as pie
AREA1320 is offline   Reply With Quote