Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Sonnyblk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 164505
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
06 WRX TR
CGM

Default How important is the coolant reservoir tank?

Today went to go buy oil from the local subaru dealership got home decided to check my oil level. What do u know there is hose just dangling up by my intake manifold. After the initial 5 mins of cursing loudly in the parking lot of my apartment complex. I was looking for where the hose goes there is no fluid coming out or anything no check engine lights. I realize hey I know where this goes its to the coolant reservoir that is not there. I had my 60k service done and they removed it to inspect my timing belt. I then went to the nearest wall and proceeded to bang my head very hard against it till my vision was blurry. This was due to my stupidity cause i have had the hood up I dont know how many times since I had it done 2 months ago. Just wondering how bad this really is? Gonna call the shop I had it done at to see if they still have it.

PS-The oil is at full and looks clean I love the Subaru 5w30 synthetic. Please excuse any errors my vision was still blurry while typing this.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Sonnyblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Sonnyblk
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
06 WRX TR
CGM

Called the shop they dont have it and said they were sorry and that was it. So I will just buy another one or maybe go after market.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
fiveightandten
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 219524
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
AW

Shop removed part.
Shop did not reinstall part, or an equalivent.
Shop produces said part, or pays for a replacement.

It's as simple as that. Removing a functioning part from someone's car and leaving the car incomplete? Are they normally in the business of stealing, and returning cars to paying customers in a state where they can be damaged easily?

Unacceptable. Call them back and ask them when they'll have your new reservoir in.

And to answer your question, yes, you need it. Coolant expands and contracts with heating and cooling. It expands, it dumps into the reservoir...it contracts, it pulls fluid from the reservoir instead of air. When it gets in to the cooling system, it can get circulated into the coolant passages. If an air pocket gets trapped around the block, or one of the heads, it can cause a hot spot and damage a head gasket, crack a head, etc. So, yes, it's pretty important to have that reservoir. You're pulling air into your cooling system currently.

Sounds like a hack shop to me. I'd get a replacement out of them and never go back.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Sonnyblk
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
06 WRX TR
CGM

The shop called me back they found the tank and will be putting it back on tommaro. They also will be making ammends with some nice deals on parts and apologised prefusely and said the guy that did the service is no longer working with the company. Thanks for the info and answering my question.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
fiveightandten
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 219524
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnyblk View Post
The shop called me back they found the tank and will be putting it back on tommaro. They also will be making ammends with some nice deals on parts and apologised prefusely and said the guy that did the service is no longer working with the company. Thanks for the info and answering my question.
Good to hear there's a happy ending. Be sure to double check that they topped off the coolant and that the system is properly bled after the reservoir is put back on.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Sonnyblk
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
06 WRX TR
CGM

Got it put back on this morning the coolant level was full and everything is in working order. They are going to give me a severley discounted VF48 turbo and STI TMIC to make everything better. Thanks for the Info again this thread can be closed.