Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday June 29, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
ContractingSTI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 305129
Default Timing belt issue

I picked up this Sti with the timing belt and components removed. Long story short, the valves aren't bent and original belt was removed to inspect for other damages but never replaced.
My question is how do I know if the cam gears are in the correct position to all be timed with the crankshaft? So far all cam gears are pretty close to the timing marks being lined up like in the instructional videos supplied on this forum.
When the cam gear spins individually almost a full circle without resistance, is this gear in the correct cycle? If i continued to spin the gear towards the end of the circle, I would feel strong resistance as if the valves were being pushed open. So is this non resistance cycle where I want to start aligning all the timing marks with the crank?
ContractingSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

Crank pulley has a mark, it should be pointing up. Intake cams have a mark, they should be pointing up. Exhaust cams have marks - iirc there are 2 marks that should line up with 2 marks on the intake cams, and then single marks that should be pointing outward.

Line up the marks, then slap the belt on.

Yours may look a little different, but it should go together in a similar fashion.

If you look closely, there will be notches in the rear timing covers that should line up with the marks, and there's a mark at 12 oclock on the block where the line mark on the crank gear goes.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
ContractingSTI
Scooby Newbie

Ok, so It doesn't matter how many times i turn one cam individually? As long as all the marks line up, everything will be butter? Thanks for the pic btw
Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

You don't want valves smacking into each other, so I'd really try to avoid rotating the driver's side cams. The passenger's side cams should be basically slack, but the driver's side will be under tension and eager to spring back.

And yes, as long as the marks all line up, you'll be fine. The belt has lines on it that will match the marks on the pulleys when you initially put the belt on, but once you turn the engine over the belt marks won't line up until a few hundred revolutions. Turn the crank over twice and those cam pulley marks should all line up with their timing cover marks.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
ContractingSTI
Scooby Newbie

Thank you, should be all down hill from here.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

I guess I'll just toss this out here - the mark on the crank pulley goes up - this is NOT top dead center. The mark pointing up puts all 4 pistons sufficiently down in the holes so that the valves cannot his the pistons, allowing you to rotate the cams without fear of damage. You still have to be mindful of the valves hitting each other though.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
ContractingSTI
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoTheCat View Post
I guess I'll just toss this out here - the mark on the crank pulley goes up - this is NOT top dead center. The mark pointing up puts all 4 pistons sufficiently down in the holes so that the valves cannot his the pistons, allowing you to rotate the cams without fear of damage. You still have to be mindful of the valves hitting each other though.
Which mark? The rectangle that is suppose to point @ 12 o'clock when the cam gears are all aligned or the arrow on the crank gear(>) that points to the right during the rectangle position at 12?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

The rectangle, when pointing at 12 o'clock, means all 4 of your pistons are away from TDC.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
ContractingSTI
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoTheCat View Post
The rectangle, when pointing at 12 o'clock, means all 4 of your pistons are away from TDC.
Sweet, Thank you. Got everything lined up.