Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
dolosolow
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 279605
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04' WRX swap STi
v8 TwinScroll 6MT

Default Car won't start!

Sorry about the question. i'm Kinda a noob.

On my way to get something to eat I noticed the temp was a little over normal (on second line), and for precaution I slow down and head into a parking lot. So I turn off the car to cool down, as I wait I go ahead and try to find out why it was overheating. Coolant levels were good, oil was great (recently changed it so its good oil with around 4 quarts, half/qt off full). Now after a few minutes I try to turn it on and it won't go, it cranks but won't go.

All in all, what probably caused this? -- could it have been the octane? before I left the car was really low on gas, and when I went to fill it up for some reason i did not pay attention to see if he put 93 (gas tenants don't understand much english and quite often they make mistakes)

Car Info:

WRX with EJ207 version 8 full swap, catback and intake == (32,xxx mi on engine)

lol, nice way to start off the new year
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dolosolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
multimediaman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160425
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza Outback
PacificaBluePrl+StlGryMet

I'm 20% sure that the temperature gauge is a display of the coolant temperature, as sensed by the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT), and if the ECT is faulty, or unable to function as expected, this could be a remote possibility of explaining what could be happening. First things first I'd check the electric connections to the ECT (usually located next to the engine block, under the alternator). More often than not, problems with the ECT are from the circuit than the sensor itself failing.

If everything seems decent, you could even disconnect the ECT, and put it into water that you can manipulate the temperature of (coffee warmer & mug would work), then check with an ohmmeter or voltmeter to see if the resistance lowers as the water temperature increases.

Fuel delivery to the engine is typically controlled by the ECT, and if it's not reading expected values, it's possible it's sending the incorrect amount of fuel to the engine.

You'll have to at least partially drain the coolant from the engine however, since it's naturally above the level of the sensor. Not sure how you feel about messing with your coolant levels, but it's at least a free (or the cost of a voltmeter) check to perform to narrow down the potential causes.

**edit**
actually not completely free, as once you remove the sensor, you'll need to wrap some Teflon tape around the threads before you reinstall it. This helps prevent coolant from leaking out from the sensor. (Advice from repair "guide") I also unfortunately do not have any torque settings for reinstallation, if you're a stickler for correct torque.

I'd look for some videos before attempting this, as coolant levels, and when you start messing with how much is in the engine, and apparently Subarus are a bit hard to purge air from the coolant system... I've heard somewhere that once you fill it up, you have to run the engine at 3000rpm or so for more than 5 minutes, wait for the whole system to cool down, and then fill it up again... and even then I don't know that that's the accepted method...

Bottom line of all this babble is to do your research before attempting any advice ... especially advice from the likes of me :P ... as I'm a bit of a noob >.>

**edit #2**
oh for snap's sake... after typing all that out, I came across this web page, seems to cover things fairly well.

Last edited by multimediaman; 01-08-2012 at 04:46 AM.
multimediaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
dolosolow
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04' WRX swap STi
v8 TwinScroll 6MT

Other than this, which I will try after some research. Can it be possible that the timing belt went? I'm just confused since there is only 32k/ish miles on the engine and the car didn't turn off on me while driving, I turned it off and it wouldn't turn back on.

- I'm up earlier than usual, can't sleep. Wonder why.

thanks again though
Old 01-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
multimediaman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 160425
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza Outback
PacificaBluePrl+StlGryMet

32k miles is rather early for timing belts to go out - they recommend replacement at 120k. And while the engine could rotate and not start with a broken or stripped timing belt, I don't think that could explain the overheating.

While it's fully possible there were several things wrong, the ECT was the only thing I could think of that could potentially explain both problems at the same time.
multimediaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
dolosolow
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04' WRX swap STi
v8 TwinScroll 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimediaman View Post
32k miles is rather early for timing belts to go out - they recommend replacement at 120k. And while the engine could rotate and not start with a broken or stripped timing belt, I don't think that could explain the overheating.

While it's fully possible there were several things wrong, the ECT was the only thing I could think of that could potentially explain both problems at the same time.
Just five minutes ago took off the timing belt cover and from what i saw it looked shredded, I'm assuming not broken because the belt still had tension.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
dolosolow
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04' WRX swap STi
v8 TwinScroll 6MT

Any ideas?