Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
SedonaRedwagon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 291575
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Sedona Red

Question 2002 WRX Stage 2 Datalog, fine knock and boost spike problems

I have a Stage 2 2002 WRX that seems to have large boost spikes and some erratic fine knock numbers, here is the sreadsheet

3rd gear pull

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

Upgrades:
Invidia Bellmouth downpipe
Borla XR-1 Catback
Stock Airbox/filter
Stage 2 V.310 map

Should i be using a Low wastegate duty map? or could it be another issue im facing?

If i missed any info you guys may need just let me know

Thanks for all the help!

-Anthony
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SedonaRedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedonaRedwagon View Post
I have a Stage 2 2002 WRX that seems to have large boost spikes and some erratic fine knock numbers, here is the sreadsheet

3rd gear pull

Upgrades:
Invidia Bellmouth downpipe
Borla XR-1 Catback
Stock Airbox/filter
Stage 2 V.310 map

Should i be using a Low wastegate duty map? or could it be another issue im facing?

If i missed any info you guys may need just let me know

Thanks for all the help!

-Anthony
Your boost is a bit erratic. What is the history of the car? Has it ever had a manual boost controller or have the wastegate lines been touched in any way?

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
SedonaRedwagon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Sedona Red

I bought the car completely stock with 87,000 miles on it, it has 99,000 miles on it and it never had a boost controller. ive never touched the wastegate lines. the only thing i can think of is that i installed a manual boost gauge and the vacuum line is leaking a little bit. i have heard that bellmouth downpipes may cause boost creep but this is different. when it was stage 1 it didn't have this problem
Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
SedonaRedwagon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Sedona Red

I forgot to mention that i installed a catless uppipe, sorry i missed that haha
Old 01-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
I bought the car completely stock with 87,000 miles on it, it has 99,000 miles on it and it never had a boost controller. ive never touched the wastegate lines. the only thing i can think of is that i installed a manual boost gauge and the vacuum line is leaking a little bit. i have heard that bellmouth downpipes may cause boost creep but this is different. when it was stage 1 it didn't have this problem
I would get that vacuum leak fixed and go from there. You may also want to get a pressure/smoke test of the intake tract done.

Bill
Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
SedonaRedwagon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Sedona Red

Will do, thanks for the advice Bill ill let you know the results
Old 01-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
SedonaRedwagon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Sedona Red

Ok i adjusted the vaccum hose a little and that seemed to have helped. today i also installed an SPT intake, i reset the ecu after installation and then went for a drive so that the car could re-learn with the intake and just to be safe i used the stage 2 LWG v.310 map as a realtime map. i think the problem was that i didn't properly let the ecu relearn when i installed the downpipe because the datalog i took after installing the intake seems to be alot better. heres the datalog with the SPT intake and other mods listed above.

No fine knock learn, boost is not erratic but tapers off at the end( think its becuase of the LWG realtime map i put on there) I kept an eye on A/F ratio and it wasn't out of the ordinary. Anything i missed?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Ok i adjusted the vaccum hose a little and that seemed to have helped. today i also installed an SPT intake, i reset the ecu after installation and then went for a drive so that the car could re-learn with the intake and just to be safe i used the stage 2 LWG v.310 map as a realtime map. i think the problem was that i didn't properly let the ecu relearn when i installed the downpipe because the datalog i took after installing the intake seems to be alot better. heres the datalog with the SPT intake and other mods listed above.

No fine knock learn, boost is not erratic but tapers off at the end( think its becuase of the LWG realtime map i put on there) I kept an eye on A/F ratio and it wasn't out of the ordinary. Anything i missed?
Unfortunately, the SPT intake isn't compatible with our maps. It may cause issues with reported airflow and therefore impact fueling and timing. You can get the intake tuned for by a protuner, however.

Bill
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
SedonaRedwagon
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Sedona Red

huh, according to the sticky at the top of the page it said it was compatible, well i dont plan on driving aggressively anyway until i get that tune, which will be very soon. Thanks for the heads up about that Bill.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
huh, according to the sticky at the top of the page it said it was compatible, well i dont plan on driving aggressively anyway until i get that tune, which will be very soon. Thanks for the heads up about that Bill.
When the SPT intake was released, we assumed that Subaru had taken pains to make sure that the reported airflow was reasonably accurate given the stock MAF calibration, but, over the years, our calibrators have found that this is not the case.

You'll be OK if you are about to get a tune - I would just not put the car under any heavy load to be on the safe side.

Bill