Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #3301
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by don l View Post
LOL...yeah, I forgot! If I was truly getting 20 or 21 mpg...I'd be mad about it to. I had a 2009 Civic Si...6-speed..never got worse than 27 mpg with that and I drove it pretty hard. Used Redline 5W30 in it..never used more than .5 quart in 5,000 miles. On the Civic forum, there were folks complaining about the oil consumption there to..better than a quart of consumption in less than 3000 miles. Some people were getting mid-20's for MPG. Those engines have "loose" oil rings to allow it to buzz to 8200 RPM. I must admit that the break-in was old school, "drive it like ya stole it".
What's this buzzing you speak of? I'm not familiar with that lol
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #3302
Penguin44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315883
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2012 IMPREZA
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymphomaniac View Post
8.5 is still pretty darn good, even with 88% city traffic. I don't know which province you're in, but there must not be as many stop-and-go situations where you're at, unlike here in the Greater Vancouver area. I'm usually fighting with the crowds heading downtown and to the University (first and second most travelled commuter destinations here, respectively), so my average speed - including idling at red lights and all the crazy stop-and-slow-and-go stuff - is in the low 30's (km/hr), if not in the mid 20's. I'm generally in the 10.1 to 9.5 l/100km range, including the occasional late-night highway run (just for fun).

I'm totally not complaining. Avg speed is 37kph. Not a ton of stop and go. Usually just set the cruise at 60 and boom. I'm in the Don mills area of toronto btw.
Penguin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #3303
jd_24
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 318301
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle:
2012 CVT Sport Prem
Ice Silver Metalic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
and even without ethanol winter blend has up to 20% less energy potential of summer gas
I'm not sure about the 20% less energy amount, but yes winter gas contains much more butane and therefor less energy.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...rence-13747431

10% ethanol is year round in Minnesota, but other things are added for the wintere blend such as butane.

CVT with 17,000 miles and roughly a 33mpg lifetime calculated MPG average. 35 to 36 inthe summer and 30 to 32 in the winter.
I'm happy with my CVT and the MPG. Consistantly drive speed limit or what's needed to stay with traffic.
jd_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #3304
lymphomaniac
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334451
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: YVR
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza2.0i CVT
DGM (sedan)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin44 View Post
I'm totally not complaining. Avg speed is 37kph. Not a ton of stop and go. Usually just set the cruise at 60 and boom. I'm in the Don mills area of toronto btw.
I'm not complaining about the car's fuel consumption either. I'm fully aware that my driving conditions are the main contributing factor in my fuel consumption figures, with fuel content being a close second.

Until the politicians here get their heads out of their collective ass and recognize that road infrastructure is a worthwhile investment, and not to try to legislate "carbon" laws without truly understanding the underlying chemistry, I know that I'm stuck with my figures. I'm certain if I were living in some other jurisdiction with a better road infrastructure and proper gasoline, I'd have much better fuel consumption figures with this vehicle.

[/rant]

Don Mills, eh? I hear you guys had quite the storm come through your area... how was the driving?
lymphomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #3305
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_24 View Post

CVT with 17,000 miles and roughly a 33mpg lifetime calculated MPG average. 35 to 36 inthe summer and 30 to 32 in the winter.
I'm happy with my CVT and the MPG. Consistantly drive speed limit or what's needed to stay with traffic.
Thank you! I don't get why people especially owners are bashing the car so much. I have no complaints about the car, or it's performance. I also average 32-33mpg and trust me, I don't drive like a granny! Guaranteed my wife would get closer to EPA!
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #3306
Penguin44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315883
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2012 IMPREZA
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymphomaniac View Post

I'm not complaining about the car's fuel consumption either. I'm fully aware that my driving conditions are the main contributing factor in my fuel consumption figures, with fuel content being a close second.

Until the politicians here get their heads out of their collective ass and recognize that road infrastructure is a worthwhile investment, and not to try to legislate "carbon" laws without truly understanding the underlying chemistry, I know that I'm stuck with my figures. I'm certain if I were living in some other jurisdiction with a better road infrastructure and proper gasoline, I'd have much better fuel consumption figures with this vehicle.

[/rant]

Don Mills, eh? I hear you guys had quite the storm come through your area... how was the driving?
Don't know where my other post went. Anyway, it was bad for non subies. Lol. I was happy my baby did well. I just kept the speed very low and lots of space from everyone else. Stopped at the bottom of a hill. BMW spinning trying to get up I just rolled up the hill. Love that. 35cm of snow, and more with drifts. I gave 2 people a ride who were stranded. They were impressed as well.

Anyway, yes. Unfortunately we have to deal with the ethanol. Still good mileage regardless.
Penguin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #3307
Caocao
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330507
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ottawa
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Ltd CVT
White

Default

Last tank 378 miles, 30.5 mpg hand caculated. Half the trip was through last fridays snowstorm.
Caocao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #3308
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Isn't it amusing that first we ride the wave of those complaining about how horrible the MPG's are (specifically for the CVT), then we ride the wave of those getting expected MPG's (including CVT's)...

It's almost as if there is a wide range of reported MPG's, mirroring the 2012 Window Sticker numbers...
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #3309
53x12
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206332
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In a tent
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
It's almost as if there is a wide range of reported MPG's, mirroring the 2012 Window Sticker numbers...
Exactly and mirroring the variance in driving styles and driving environments.
53x12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #3310
PuyallupCoug
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 337092
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kirkland, WA
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SLTD 5d
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemophilic View Post
Just had my worst tank yet. 100% city. Very cold weather. Maybe a bit too much right pedal. 23.2 MPG. Ouch...
That would be up there with my BEST tank ever.

Consider yourself lucky.
PuyallupCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #3311
2012ISport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325924
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post

Thank you! I don't get why people especially owners are bashing the car so much. I have no complaints about the car, or it's performance. I also average 32-33mpg and trust me, I don't drive like a granny! Guaranteed my wife would get closer to EPA!
I can't speak for all of the bashers but I complain because unlike you my car doesn't come close to 32 mpg. If it was possible for me to get 32-33 mpg then I wouldn't complain. I am currently averaging between 19-22 mpg on my commute and I do drive like a granny.
2012ISport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #3312
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ISport View Post

I can't speak for all of the bashers but I complain because unlike you my car doesn't come close to 32 mpg. If it was possible for me to get 32-33 mpg then I wouldn't complain. I am currently averaging between 19-22 mpg on my commute and I do drive like a granny.
Mostly city?
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #3313
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Of course the acid test is how well the cvt does in the real world compared to other vehicles with similar EPA estimates. The fact it does extremely poorly is beyond the comprehension of some here, yet that does not stop them from (poorly) attempting to belittle others who actually recognize that...
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #3314
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post
Of course the acid test is how well the cvt does in the real world compared to other vehicles with similar EPA estimates. The fact it does extremely poorly is beyond the comprehension of some here, yet that does not stop them from (poorly) attempting to belittle others who actually recognize that...
Who's belittling? I simply asked a question and previously stated I don't understand the hate because I have no such issue with mine.
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #3315
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post
Who's belittling? I simply asked a question and previously stated I don't understand the hate because I have no such issue with mine.
I wasn't talking about you...
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #3316
53x12
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206332
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In a tent
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuyallupCoug View Post
That would be up there with my BEST tank ever.

Consider yourself lucky.
What kind of driving of you do? Lots of commuting. You guys have some of the worse traffic there along I5 from Olympia to Seattle. Not sure why you are getting 22mpg. I consistently average 30-32mpg mixed driving and around 36moh highway.
53x12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #3317
2012ISport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325924
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post

Mostly city?
I live in the suburbs of Buffalo and would not consider my commutes city driving. I would say it's a mix. Even over the summer the best tank I had was 30.5 mpg and that was 100% highway with cruise at 65. My Impreza falls far short of the epa estimates.
2012ISport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #3318
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ISport View Post

I live in the suburbs of Buffalo and would not consider my commutes city driving. I would say it's a mix. Even over the summer the best tank I had was 30.5 mpg and that was 100% highway with cruise at 65. My Impreza falls far short of the epa estimates.
Wow that's weird how some can be so far off from others. I generally do between 65-80 almost daily on the highway and mix in some city and always average 32-33.
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #3319
Dirt Bringer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340297
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Default

I'm still trying to figure out if my mileage is appropriate to what it should be. The car has about 850 miles on it. I've followed proper break in...mostly...its been revved a few times but nothing regular. My trip meter tells me my average speed is 25mph and my mileage average at this point is 26mpg. I'm not entirely sure how my average speed came to 25mph, since quite a bit of that driving was done on some fairly straight backroads at about 40mph and some was on the highway at ~65-70, but that's what the car tells me so I suppose it isn't lying. Is this about what I should be expecting, and does it start to improve after 1000 miles?

Last edited by Dirt Bringer; 02-12-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #3320
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
I'm still trying to figure out if my mileage is appropriate to what it should be. The car has about 850 miles on it. I've followed proper break in...mostly...its been revved a few times but nothing regular. My trip meter tells me my average speed is 25mph and my mileage average at this point is 26mpg. I'm not entirely sure how my average speed came to 25mph, since quite a bit of that driving was done on some fairly straight backroads at about 40mph and some was on the highway at ~65-70, but that's what the car tells me so I suppose it isn't lying. Is this about what I should be expecting, and does it start to improve after 1000 miles?
Well, 25mph avg and your mention of backroads leads me to believe thats mostly city miles. So 26mpg sounds about right. Although, with warmer temperature it should get better, also fully broken in may improve numbers. Around 1k-2k miles, different for eveyone.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #3321
tomwi53092
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316315
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Mequon, WI
Vehicle:
2012 Imp HB/Prem/CVT
DCP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
I'm still trying to figure out if my mileage is appropriate to what it should be. The car has about 850 miles on it. I've followed proper break in...mostly...its been revved a few times but nothing regular. My trip meter tells me my average speed is 25mph and my mileage average at this point is 26mpg. I'm not entirely sure how my average speed came to 25mph, since quite a bit of that driving was done on some fairly straight backroads at about 40mph and some was on the highway at ~65-70, but that's what the car tells me so I suppose it isn't lying. Is this about what I should be expecting, and does it start to improve after 1000 miles?
Since the car tracks trip duration, I think that idling time is included in avg. mph. It doesn't take much time at a few stop lights to drive avg. mph down.
tomwi53092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #3322
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Sounds about right for a 5 speed. Make sure you do some odometer testing, most are off
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #3323
Dirt Bringer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 340297
Join Date: Dec 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5sp Prm
Ice Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
Sounds about right for a 5 speed. Make sure you do some odometer testing, most are off
How do I do that?
Dirt Bringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #3324
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bringer View Post
How do I do that?
use a GPS or mile markers and track your mileage. if you use Android, i recommend My tracks, that is what i used anyway. icrap, no idea, but I am sure there is something.

mine is 2.9% off
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #3325
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Mine was off by 2.7%. But now that I'm not being so OCD about my fuel economy (no more hand calculations or Fuelly entries), I just don't care anymore.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Impreza owner, low mpg? stuffedcabbage Newbies & FAQs 34 09-25-2012 10:10 PM
2012 Impreza Reviewed - Whytecliff to Seymour brendan_mac Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 16 12-23-2011 01:12 PM
NJ Impreza owners - sighting Dan G General Forum Archive 76 10-06-2000 12:24 AM
Md or Va Impreza owners - I have an Impreza related question. Snoopy General Forum Archive 1 06-05-2000 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.