Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #3626
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

I love my Impreza. I get over 40 mpg.

At 50 mph.

You Bozos who don't even have one do not understand the reality of the situation. You have been shown time and time again that the Impreza CVT is an outlier in terms of mpg, based on professional equivalent driving by Consumer Reports drivers.

You who don't even have a CVT and refuse to look at the facts on the pages in front of you, yet continue to spew anecdotal data by a small minority of CVT drivers who might, for all we know, just be you with another login, just show your own idolatry. Yes indeed you heartily display cognitive dissonance in the form of continued regurgitation of BS. Post purchase rationalization rears its ugly head frequently here. You are the definition of ignorance.

Go away.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #3627
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post
I love my Impreza. I get over 40 mpg.

At 50 mph.

You Bozos who don't even have one do not understand the reality of the situation. You have been shown time and time again that the Impreza CVT is an outlier in terms of mpg, based on professional equivalent driving by Consumer Reports drivers.

You who don't even have a CVT and refuse to look at the facts on the pages in front of you, yet continue to spew anecdotal data by a small minority of CVT drivers who might, for all we know, just be you with another login, just show your own idolatry. Yes indeed you heartily display cognitive dissonance in the form of continued regurgitation of BS. Post purchase rationalization rears its ugly head frequently here. You are the definition of ignorance.

Go away.
Wow man get off your high horse! You sound like some sort of conspiracy theorist! Like any of us have time or care to create another login just to argue with you about mpg's on a cvt! I don't think it's us that have post purchase rationalization, rather YOU who has buyer's remorse!

I don't drive 50, I don't drive slow, and I don't do anything else that you claim as to why I get good mileage, I just do!
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #3628
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post
Wow man get off your high horse!
Precious considering the source.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #3629
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post

I don't drive 50, I don't drive slow, and I don't do anything else that you claim as to why I get good mileage, I just do!
You don't get it either. You and I are just anecdotes. What we get for mpg in our CVT's has no standing on the fact that the Impreza does not perform as advertised in mpg when compared to other vehicles that supposedly get the same mpg. So, this time I took *all* the new vehicles in Consumer
Reports that get the same mpg as the Impreza Sedan in their standardized test. That was 35 mpg and there are 13 of them. This site doesn't allow for tables (that I've found) but the first column is the make, the second the model, and the third the EPA highway mpg.

Make Model EPA Highway

Subaru Impreza sedan Premium 4-cyl CVT 36

Acura TL Base V6 29
Acura TSX 4-cyl 30
Audi A4 sedan Premium 4-cyl 29
Ford Mustang coupe Premium V6 MT 29
Dodge Avenger Mainstreet 4-cyl 31
Lexus ES 350 V6 31
Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 4-cyl MT 28
Nissan Altima 3.5 SL V6 CVT 31
Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium 4-cyl CVT 32
Volkswagen CC Sport 4-cyl 31
Volvo C30 T5 1.0 5-cyl MT 28
Volvo S60 T5 5-cyl 30

Average: 29.92
Standard Deviation: 1.31
sigma: 4.64

See a pattern?

That means that if there were 500,000 other cars instead of just 13 the Impreza would still have a 50/50 chance of being the worst.

Last edited by stevehnm; 03-08-2013 at 04:06 AM.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #3630
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

@stevehnm - don't even bother. it's useless. there's a handful in here who are not worth even debating with. they think we don't know how to read a sticker & trying to point out that's not the issue is getting you nowhere. they will never get it & think the same of us. I just sit back and laugh at the douchebaggery.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #3631
spdrcr5
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349364
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sp Ltd
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default 2013 and absolutely HORRIBLE mileage

This is my first post here so I thought I would make it a good one.

My wife needed a new car as her 2010 Honda CR-V was coming off lease. She had been "car shopping" during her commute to/from work for a few months. She didn't know what she wanted but she hated the looks of the new CR-V so we knew that was out. She loved the room of the CR-V but hated the mileage.

My Sisters have been Subaru owners for years and I told her to look for a Subaru she liked. She really liked the Impreza so she went to a dealer on her own and took a 5 door for a test drive. She loved how it drove and really liked it. She thought it was a little small for her to move our 2 yr old in/out of the car seat but she was willing to give up some convenience if it meant saving money on gas.

The 2013 promises 27/36 with a combined 30. We hit up the dealer so we could see what sort of deal we could get. A few days later they got in the one she wanted. She has a highway commute 3 days a week and a mixed commute the other 2 days. The first tank she averaged about 21mpg, didn't even get 250 miles on the tank. I told her to give it at least another tank. This time the avg went up ever so slightly to 22mpg. She still called the salesman who also happened to be the Sales Manager. He said to give it 1,500 miles for it to "break in". Well, it didn't take her long to hit that number and in that time her worst mpg was 19 and her best even to this day was 24.

She is now close to 2,500 miles and she hates the car because as she said if she is going to get such cr@p mileage she might as well be driving her old CR-V or another SUV because for such a small vehicle the mileage is atrocious. We have filed a complaint with the NHTSA, EPA and Subaru North America. We have had the dealership inspect the car and the Service Manager sympathized and told her that he has the 2012 Impreza and his mileage is the same but he is living with it.

We are either going to trade it for another Subaru or trade it for something else. We will end up taking a bath on this thing after well under 2 months of ownership.

My vote would be to never own another Subaru again, at least not for a few years. She isn't sure what she wants.

Before anyone states that we are dealing with a Winter Blend of gasoline, I am well aware of that. Winter blends can account for about 10% of the mileage being off. In our case the mileage is off by 30-40%. We have NEVER seen the dash show 30mpg no matter what speed we drive. We have tried "crawling" along at 55mph on the highway with the trip reset and have seen 29.7 for miles. Never went above that.

Just giving our tale of whoa...
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #3632
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr5 View Post
We have tried "crawling" along at 55mph on the highway with the trip reset and have seen 29.7 for miles. Never went above that.
Hmmm, that statement surprises me. You should be able to see at least 33 MPG on the display when driven as I quoted you above. I understand your and your wife's frustration.

Some things to try before you dump the car and take a financial loss:
  • Change the car's oil, if you still have the factory fill in it.
  • See if you can find a source of E0 (ethanol-free) gas.
  • If you can't find E0, try experimenting with different gas station brands.
  • Of course, make sure your tire pressure is where it belongs.
  • When driving on the highway as quoted above, try using the cruise control if you weren't the last time you performed that test.

Good luck.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #3633
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Those numbers are really bad. Sounds like an issue with the car, assuming youre not driving like a madman, which im not. If the dealership wont help thats too bad. Maybe something with the cvt/programming that it doesnt want to shift up. You could make a quick log of rpms at a range of steady velocities, post it here and we can verify if its normal behavior.

Good luck.

PS I thought it was tale of woe? Maybe its a play on words im not intellectual enough to understand? lol
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #3634
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

Hmmm, that statement surprises me. You should be able to see at least 33 MPG on the display when driven as I quoted you above. I understand your and your wife's frustration.

Some things to try before you dump the car and take a financial loss:
[*]Change the car's oil, if you still have the factory fill in it.[*]See if you can find a source of E0 (ethanol-free) gas.[*]If you can't find E0, try experimenting with different gas station brands.[*]Of course, make sure your tire pressure is where it belongs.[*]When driving on the highway as quoted above, try using the cruise control if you weren't the last time you performed that test.


Good luck.
Completely agree here! This is a case that I would be upset about too. Not these other buffoons who get 29 or 30 mpg and are complaining.

I will say one thing though about your post....the window sticker does not "promise" the car will get 36 mpg.
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #3635
Zauri
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333487
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 2.0
Limited DGM CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post
Completely agree here! This is a case that I would be upset about too. Not these other buffoons who get 29 or 30 mpg and are complaining.

I will say one thing though about your post....the window sticker does not "promise" the car will get 36 mpg.
We get it, they are advertised numbers in an effort to generate business. People aren't even expecting this car to get 36 mpgs or more and know 36 is an "Up to" figure. But it is not unrealistic to expect this car to get close to advertised figures.

For some people that figure was a HUGE selling point in getting this car and the performance based on that figure isn't just a little off. it's absolutely horrible...

people who are complaining are BARELY averaging 25 mpg... and I mean averaging... not just a few tanks here and there.

I am at 26 mpg's overall. I'm not too floored about this only because (1)the car I came from was much worse and near death. (2) mpg's aside I really love this car.

That does not mean I do not have the right to be a bit concerned about this figure. You don't just shell out 350+ a month on a car only to find out that it's advertised performance is way off. You can't just get rid of it afterwards either.

Side note: This is my first new car and I have sat in my share of used ones.. And this vehicle by far has one of the worst deviations in gas mileage that I have ever seen in regards to advertised MPG's.

Maybe the cold weather and other factors has that huge of an effect on the Impreza. That I, for one, will not be able to determine until it gets warmer(I bought this car in oct).

Last edited by Zauri; 03-07-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Zauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #3636
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

If you are getting 19 or 20s I would say your fuel trim needs to be relearned. Pull battery make sure computer clears reconnect bat then turn on car and have it relearn fuel trims Numbers should go up from there
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #3637
theoutbackdream
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301179
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Mountain View, California
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited
SWP

Default

I don't get why people are so pissed. these numbers are a value of "up to". not a value of "is" or "exceeds"

no matter how much you want to blame someone for the bad gas mileage, different conditions and drivers Will make a huge difference in your avg mpg. and remember, you bought a car with full time AWD, unlike a car like the crv where its 2wd untill it detects slip, but by the time 4wd engages, you're ****ed.
theoutbackdream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #3638
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr5 View Post
This is my first post here so I thought I would make it a good one.

My wife needed a new car as her 2010 Honda CR-V was coming off lease. She had been "car shopping" during her commute to/from work for a few months. She didn't know what she wanted but she hated the looks of the new CR-V so we knew that was out. She loved the room of the CR-V but hated the mileage.

My Sisters have been Subaru owners for years and I told her to look for a Subaru she liked. She really liked the Impreza so she went to a dealer on her own and took a 5 door for a test drive. She loved how it drove and really liked it. She thought it was a little small for her to move our 2 yr old in/out of the car seat but she was willing to give up some convenience if it meant saving money on gas.

The 2013 promises 27/36 with a combined 30. We hit up the dealer so we could see what sort of deal we could get. A few days later they got in the one she wanted. She has a highway commute 3 days a week and a mixed commute the other 2 days. The first tank she averaged about 21mpg, didn't even get 250 miles on the tank. I told her to give it at least another tank. This time the avg went up ever so slightly to 22mpg. She still called the salesman who also happened to be the Sales Manager. He said to give it 1,500 miles for it to "break in". Well, it didn't take her long to hit that number and in that time her worst mpg was 19 and her best even to this day was 24.

She is now close to 2,500 miles and she hates the car because as she said if she is going to get such cr@p mileage she might as well be driving her old CR-V or another SUV because for such a small vehicle the mileage is atrocious. We have filed a complaint with the NHTSA, EPA and Subaru North America. We have had the dealership inspect the car and the Service Manager sympathized and told her that he has the 2012 Impreza and his mileage is the same but he is living with it.

We are either going to trade it for another Subaru or trade it for something else. We will end up taking a bath on this thing after well under 2 months of ownership.

My vote would be to never own another Subaru again, at least not for a few years. She isn't sure what she wants.

Before anyone states that we are dealing with a Winter Blend of gasoline, I am well aware of that. Winter blends can account for about 10% of the mileage being off. In our case the mileage is off by 30-40%. We have NEVER seen the dash show 30mpg no matter what speed we drive. We have tried "crawling" along at 55mph on the highway with the trip reset and have seen 29.7 for miles. Never went above that.

Just giving our tale of whoa...
first, there is never a promise of 36mpg, it is an estimated figure based on multiple tests (i know you know this)

Quote:
prom·ise (prms)
n.
1.
a. A declaration assuring that one will or will not do something; a vow.
b. Something promised.
2. Indication of something favorable to come; expectation: a promise of spring in the air.
3. Indication of future excellence or success: a player of great promise.
v. prom·ised, prom·is·ing, prom·is·es
v.tr.
1. To commit oneself by a promise to do or give; pledge: left but promised to return.
2. To afford a basis for expecting: thunderclouds that promise rain.
v.intr.
1. To make a declaration assuring that something will or will not be done.
2. To afford a basis for expectation: an enterprise that promises well.
Quote:
advertisement sometimes US, advertizement [ədˈvɜːtɪsmənt -tɪz-]
n
(Business / Marketing) any public notice, as a printed display in a newspaper, short film on television, announcement on radio, etc., designed to sell goods, publicize an event, etc.
is this real highway i.e. interstate with a few cars, or jam packed bumper to bumper. because i would consider the latter to be city.

Last edited by flyboy1100; 03-07-2013 at 12:12 PM.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #3639
spdrcr5
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349364
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sp Ltd
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

I had her send me the actual mileage numbers... here they are. She has a Fuel App that I asked her to track the mileage in so we knew what was going on.

1/5 purchased car 11 miles
1/10 240 miles 19.89mpg
1/16 490 miles 20.31 mpg
11/22 749 partial fill
1/26 915 20.11mpg
1/31 1168 22.15mpg
2/5 1444 21.89
2/10 1681 22.44
2/16 1939 19.86
2/20 2200 23.59
2/24 2455 21.25
3/4 2744 22.22
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #3640
Zauri
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333487
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 2.0
Limited DGM CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr5 View Post
I had her send me the actual mileage numbers... here they are. She has a Fuel App that I asked her to track the mileage in so we knew what was going on.

1/5 purchased car 11 miles
1/10 240 miles 19.89mpg
1/16 490 miles 20.31 mpg
11/22 749 partial fill
1/26 915 20.11mpg
1/31 1168 22.15mpg
2/5 1444 21.89
2/10 1681 22.44
2/16 1939 19.86
2/20 2200 23.59
2/24 2455 21.25
3/4 2744 22.22
Quick question about this highway commute. Is it in primarily sluggish traffic? I was on deployment up in NY (Brooklyn, Manhattan side) and notice that the traffic can easily have a horrendous creep around the beltways.

The acceleration of this car getting up to speed has a drastic affect on the mpg's so if you are constantly hovering between congestion speeds that could be the reason besides such low numbers(and of course cold weather, gas and so forth). With as crazy as i drive I have yet to pull a tank sub 22mpgs
Zauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #3641
2012ISport
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325924
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr5 View Post
I had her send me the actual mileage numbers... here they are. She has a Fuel App that I asked her to track the mileage in so we knew what was going on.

1/5 purchased car 11 miles
1/10 240 miles 19.89mpg
1/16 490 miles 20.31 mpg
11/22 749 partial fill
1/26 915 20.11mpg
1/31 1168 22.15mpg
2/5 1444 21.89
2/10 1681 22.44
2/16 1939 19.86
2/20 2200 23.59
2/24 2455 21.25
3/4 2744 22.22
Those numbers are very close to what my wife is experiencing on her weekly commute. But if I were you don't post on this forum looking for answers because all you will hear is it's your fault and what do you expect for an awd car?
2012ISport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #3642
spdrcr5
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349364
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sp Ltd
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Not going to quote everyone above but will answer several of the questions.

It is NOT bumper to bumper traffic. It is moving along as normal speeds, the speed limit is 55 and she has driven anywhere from 55-75 at sustained speeds to see what the "sweet spot" is for this car... so far there isn't one.

Yes, the window sticker is not a true "promise" and neither is anything else in this world. But it is supposed to more closely represent something closer to what an average driver should expect to possibly attain under reasonable driving conditions. If you want to know what Subaru of America claims it takes to attain the combined 30mpg... you will be floored. They claim you need to DRIVE, not AVG 40mph, yes Forty MPH for through the controlled EPA test loop. I know that is complete bs.

Changing fuel isn't the solution, have used multiple brands and stations. Pulling the battery and having the computer reset is something I can certainly try. It can't hurt. I also know that weather isn't the cause of this. It makes no difference if the car is warmed up or started and driven immediately.

This also isn't my first awd vehicle. Yes, the CR-V is part time as is others I have owned... but I have also driven Suabru's and Audi's (owned one too). The other Subaru's in the family are a Legacy and Tribeca, which both get far better mileage then this Impreza! My 9 yr old Honda Element (awd) gets better mileage loaded down with 4 adults and luggage.

Tire pressure isn't an issue, checked multiple times.

I honestly think that Subaru way over estimated the mileage on this vehicle. My wife would be THRILLED if she were to ever come close to 25mph! lol I would still be pissed. You can talk about the drivetrain drag and how much that affects the mileage all anyone wants and say that her old CR-V was part-time awd, etc. That could all be true, but she had no issues hitting 27mpg on the highway with her tall, boxy and much heavier and more powered CR-V... the Impreza is lighter, better Cd design, less power and should be getting far better mileage. If you wanted to try and offset the different variables lets do that too.

CR-V weighs more and Impreza has awd... call that a wash? Or how about the tall poor ability to cut through the air of the CR-V as compared to the Impreza...

The hp? CR-V is more, the fuel tanks? They are the same, both use unleaded... the various gas stations are all the same. The weather conditions, roads, driver, etc are all the same. Honestly the ONLY thing that changed is the vehicle and the horrid mileage.

Then only thing I will try is resetting the computer and something I should have thought to try... but on a new vehicle with 11 miles it shouldn't be needed.

flyboy thanks for offering nothing to the conversation.
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #3643
spdrcr5
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349364
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sp Ltd
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ISport View Post
But if I were you don't post on this forum looking for answers because all you will hear is it's your fault and what do you expect for an awd car?
Yes, I am seeing that. I have been a part of several forums going back to 1999 and thought that since this was a forum dedicated for the Impreza it might be different... clearly it isn't. It is also obvious that there are some on here that don't understand the window sticker and what is truly means. Those numbers are taking the awd system into account... they are supposed to be attained using THIS CAR! My friends Ford F150 gets better mileage than this Impreza! Please explain that one...
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #3644
Zauri
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333487
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 2.0
Limited DGM CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr5 View Post

she has driven anywhere from 55-75 at sustained speeds to see what the "sweet spot" is for this car... so far there isn't one.
There is but one.. it's called "cruise control" lol.. But I get what you mean.

I have noticed you can't drive this car like any other regular auto or CVT. Now mind you I am no mech head, but trying to find a coasting throttle in this car is a PITA. If you are constantly pressing the gas to get up to or maintain speed your numbers take a hit, and a drastic one at that. I've done both

Tried to coast at around 60 mph with out cruise and honestly the press down to maintain that speed constantly varied. Almost to the point that even the slight change is feathering the gas would range the guage from going to 36 mpg easily to 23 or lower.

So in effect I would simply use CC it on trips beyond 20 miles. I've long stopped that though.
Zauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #3645
theoutbackdream
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 301179
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Mountain View, California
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ISport View Post

Those numbers are very close to what my wife is experiencing on her weekly commute. But if I were you don't post on this forum looking for answers because all you will hear is it's your fault and what do you expect for an awd car?
way to state the obvious.
theoutbackdream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #3646
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

I use my cruise control every day. My foot isn't as gentle with corrections as the cruise control.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #3647
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
I use my cruise control every day. My foot isn't as gentle with corrections as the cruise control.
Likewise!
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #3648
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcr5 View Post
I had her send me the actual mileage numbers... here they are. She has a Fuel App that I asked her to track the mileage in so we knew what was going on.

1/5 purchased car 11 miles
1/10 240 miles 19.89mpg
1/16 490 miles 20.31 mpg
11/22 749 partial fill
1/26 915 20.11mpg
1/31 1168 22.15mpg
2/5 1444 21.89
2/10 1681 22.44
2/16 1939 19.86
2/20 2200 23.59
2/24 2455 21.25
3/4 2744 22.22
You aren't calculating the miles driven on the tank by 14.5 every time are you?

Not trying to say you're stupid, just trying to rule out operator error because those are VERY low numbers!
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #3649
spdrcr5
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349364
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sp Ltd
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post
You aren't calculating the miles driven on the tank by 14.5 every time are you?

Not trying to say you're stupid, just trying to rule out operator error because those are VERY low numbers!
Nope, she is using an app on her phone. They correlate exactly to what I have done with pen/paper. I agree, they are stupid low numbers.
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #3650
spdrcr5
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 349364
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sp Ltd
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
There is but one.. it's called "cruise control" lol.. But I get what you mean.

I have noticed you can't drive this car like any other regular auto or CVT. Now mind you I am no mech head, but trying to find a coasting throttle in this car is a PITA. If you are constantly pressing the gas to get up to or maintain speed your numbers take a hit, and a drastic one at that. I've done both

Tried to coast at around 60 mph with out cruise and honestly the press down to maintain that speed constantly varied. Almost to the point that even the slight change is feathering the gas would range the guage from going to 36 mpg easily to 23 or lower.

So in effect I would simply use CC it on trips beyond 20 miles. I've long stopped that though.
Been there, done that... own the t-shirt. Makes no difference. As far the comment about trying to maintain a set speed without cruise, it isn't difficult to do. It is just as easy as any other vehicle I have owned. CC or not makes no difference in mpg.
spdrcr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Impreza owner, low mpg? stuffedcabbage Newbies & FAQs 34 09-25-2012 11:10 PM
2012 Impreza Reviewed - Whytecliff to Seymour brendan_mac Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 16 12-23-2011 02:12 PM
NJ Impreza owners - sighting Dan G General Forum Archive 76 10-06-2000 01:24 AM
Md or Va Impreza owners - I have an Impreza related question. Snoopy General Forum Archive 1 06-05-2000 09:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.