Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #4126
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Omaha View Post
How far off is the had calculated MPG and what is displayed? My display was off by about 6% (overstated the MPG) before I had the dealer adjust it.
Well... if you take into account the odometer error, the mpg display is pretty accurate.

But to answer your question, no I have not changed the error %. And it is usually around 1.5mpg off the calculated mpg.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #4127
hemophilic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301213
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Imp. Sp. Ltd.
Blue/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrt1987 View Post
Commute is roughly 140 miles a day. 5 days a week.
Googly goo that's some serious miles! My round trip is 14. What makes you do that drive?
hemophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #4128
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemophilic View Post

Googly goo that's some serious miles! My round trip is 14. What makes you do that drive?
I'm right at 100 miles round trip...soon to possibly be 124....but, I only have to do it 4 times a week...unless I work overtime of course!
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #4129
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

108 one way, 102 is cruise control on the freeway. 3-4 times a week average.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #4130
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemophilic View Post
Googly goo that's some serious miles! My round trip is 14. What makes you do that drive?
Lol thats my commute to work. Its sucks but its cheaper then moving.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #4131
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post
108 one way, 102 is cruise control on the freeway. 3-4 times a week average.
What kind of mpg's do you get driving it 85mph on your 100 mile drive to work?

I would be pissed, too, if the EPA promised 36mpg at 85mph. But they didn't, so you are S.O.L.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #4132
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

I hardly ever drive 85 to work. Usually 79. But I get over 36 mpg anyway - and that's what the car's rated EPA highway. But I drive a Corolla to work.

Did you flunk out of that statistics class or something? How about "outlier", did you ever get your teacher to explain that to you? Maybe start with "Standard Deviation".
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #4133
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post
I hardly ever drive 85 to work. Usually 79. But I get over 36 mpg anyway - and that's what the car's rated EPA highway. But I drive a Corolla to work.

Did you flunk out of that statistics class or something? How about "outlier", did you ever get your teacher to explain that to you? Maybe start with "Standard Deviation".
Are you stating that you are the "Standard Deviation" or just a deviation in general? At 79 MPH, the car is just not going to give you the EPA Highway estimated MPG - simple math (and statistics) because the EPA MPG is based on a lower MPH and "flat land" usage. I think that the only "outliar" here may be you and your expectations. Yes, I did mean to use the term "outliar".

Do you hand calculate all the mileage figures that you have for the Corolla? That car may really be an "outlier".

Edit1: Forgot to mention something that may be significant: Does the Corolla and the Impreza Cruse Control maintain the same speeds at the same intervals during your drives to/from work? If not, then the differences in RPMs at the various intervals would be pertinent to the "data points" used in our analysis. If these were ignored, your analysis would surely be BOGUS. Simple example would be "Corolla slows down going up hills and the Impreza doesn't". I have found that in may instances that my MPG is better without cruise control even when the "uphill" speed is degraded.

Edit2: Statistics, in order to be reliable, must rely on absolute facts (some teacher told me that about 40 years ago). When comparing various performance factors there are many more "facts" than are published or observed by the novice mathematician.

Last edited by G-Omaha; 04-10-2013 at 12:14 PM.
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #4134
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Omaha View Post
Are you stating that you are the "Standard Deviation" or just a deviation in general? At 79 MPH, the car is just not going to give you the EPA Highway estimated MPG - simple math (and statistics) because the EPA MPG is based on a lower MPH and "flat land" usage. I think that the only "outliar" here may be you and your expectations. Yes, I did mean to use the term "outliar".
You sound pretty childish for someone who claims to have had a statistics teacher 40 years ago. I can imagine Zeeper and Flyboy as pimply faced kids, but you blew your cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Omaha View Post
Do you hand calculate all the mileage figures that you have for the Corolla? That car may really be an "outlier".
Yes, the numbers are reliable. They are actually taken via Scangauge, and when my fill number is over or under I adjust the consumption by one tenth of a gallon (the minimum) toward the actual fill quantity. At this point I am raising and lowering them about equally, since they've been hooked up for thousands (literally) of miles. I find that to be a more more reliable method than fill and divide into miles. Fill numbers can vary by a half gallon easy. My long term average is accurate. That's the case on both cars.

I make sure the current average speed is the speed I want to check. Of course the manual slows down a little on hills, but it is set faster on the flat to compensate. The CVT does what it does, but I have yet to beat it in manual mode. 6th gear is just too tall to hold any kind of a hill at all. If I could get the Impreza to move between 5th and 6th without dropping to 4th or below I could do better, but in 6th it will drop 30 mph on a hill that the Corolla will not even slow for in 5th (before I give up and downshift). If I put the Impreza in 5th the mpg suffers even worse. I would have to set the cruise control at 90 to average 75 in 6th. I don't even know if it would do 90 in 6th on the flat. Something to check...
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #4135
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

I know I'm guilty (because I get bored at the outstations) but if we don't feed the troll, eventually they will starve and die
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #4136
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
I know I'm guilty (because I get bored at the outstations) but if we don't feed the troll, eventually they will starve and die
Some of these discussions are waaay beyond your comprehension.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #4137
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
I know I'm guilty (because I get bored at the outstations) but if we don't feed the troll, eventually they will starve and die
Really at this point I am finding enjoyment knowing that he finds owning an Impreza miserable.

It gives me consolation after reading his continuous stream of consciousness ranting.

"My car does not give me 36mpg at 79mph" (shed a tear for him)

Here is his cue for the next rant...
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #4138
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

For all of you that complain about your mileage, my STI get 17-18MPG with super. But they are fun miles!
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #4139
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
Really at this point I am finding enjoyment knowing that he finds owning an Impreza miserable.

It gives me consolation after reading his continuous stream of consciousness ranting.

"My car does not give me 36mpg at 79mph" (shed a tear for him)

Here is his cue for the next rant...
Okay, I'll bite.... But Zeeper, my car does get 36 mpg at 79 mph. Well one of them anyway - the one rated for 36 mpg highway. Well, one of them rated for 36 mpg highway...

The other must have been a misprint. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. It was supposed to say 26 mpg highway.. That's much closer to reality.

But you have a 5 speed. They get better mpg you know - according to Fuelly.com. You remember them?
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #4140
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

You can get the rated MPGs, but you have to drive like a grandma. That is how these cars are EPA rated. Sucks but what can you do.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #4141
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Actually no - the cars Consumer Reports tested that get the same highway mpg on their tests are "EPA" highway rated at 30 +/- 2 mpg. 29.5 +/- 1.5 if you take the other Subaru (Legacy) out of the mix... I can get 29.5 mpg highway. Sometimes....

stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #4142
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

If you drive between 60-65mph on the highway and can't break 30 mpg then something is wrong with your car. However I see that you drive 79 mph? I haven't been following the thread that closely so I could have my facts wrong.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #4143
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Despite what Zeeper says, I do not exit my driveway at 79 mph and stay there the whole trip every day and expect to get 36 mpg - even though my Corolla would, but I have that peaked for mpg. I can actually get over 50 mpg in my Impreza CVT (if I drive slowly enough). But no, the discussion has nothing to do with individual driving styles (except some can't understand individual results are just anecdotes, and therefore irrelevant). It has to do with Consumer Reports' test drivers, comparing their real world mpg's with EPA testing mpg's, in the first post here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2477627

The other cars that get the same Consumer Reports real world highway mpg's are EPA rated at around (closely around) 30 mpg highway.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #4144
Penguin44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315883
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2012 IMPREZA
Silver

Default

You guys really have nothing better to do? 415 pages of bickering.
Penguin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #4145
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Nobody should buy an Impreza over a FWD econobox if their primary reason for buying it is to achieve maximum fuel economy. If you have a two hour daily commute, driving ~80mph, you could get even better mpg's from a car like a honda fit or another corolla (though the fit will do better than the corolla).

That being said, you should hope that if you are ever in a motor vehicle accident, you are driving the Impreza that day, and not the corolla.

If I had a two hour commute, 5 days a week, I would probably be as miserable as you are, arguing about something silly like how my car, rated 36mpg HWY by the EPA, does not return those numbers when driven ~80mph.

No, not really, I understand that the EPA testing does not attempt to provide MPG's at ~80mph, so your argument is still a fail.

Have you approached Consumer Reports with your spreadsheet data to get them to retract their "excellent MPG for an AWD car" comments, or are you also a member of 79's Consumer Reports conspiracy theory bandwagon?
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #4146
hemophilic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301213
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Imp. Sp. Ltd.
Blue/Silver

Default

Of course he hasn't. He likes to troll and moan endlessly. While high evidently...
hemophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #4147
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Back to the ad hominems eh?...

No, actually I bought a car that was rated at 36 mpg highway by the EPA. I didn't expect to get 36 mpg at 75, and I realize the Corolla is better than most vehicles rated at 36 mpg, but my choice was made based on the Impreza CVT getting the equivalent of other vehicles that get 36 mpg highway on the EPA test. It doesn't, and you are stupid or a tool for Subaru if you don't realize that.

The EPA rating is "for comparison purposes", and in reality the Impreza CVT compares with other vehicles rated 30 mpg highway. That's not right. What's worse are those with manual transmissions chiming in here and defending Subaru about the CVT. That's just idiotic.

Last edited by stevehnm; 04-11-2013 at 08:09 AM.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #4148
aeoporta
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334126
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2013 5mt Sp Premium
Venetian Red & Dark Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post
Back to the ad hominems eh?...
I see what you did there

Subaru Impreza Prem _____27_____27-30-36
Mazda 3 Skyactive (auto) _____32_____28-33-40
Mazda 3 Grand Tour(2.0) _____25_____25-28-33
Ford Focus SFE (auto) _____31_____28-33-40
Chevy Cruze Eco _____27_____26-31-39
Chevy Cruze _____26_____26-30-38
Ford Focus SE(auto) _____28_____27-31-38
Honda Civic _____29_____28-32-39
Toyota Corolla(MT) _____32_____27-30-34
Jetta TDI _____34_____30-34-42
Dodge Dart _____27_____27-31-37
Jetta (2.5) _____25_____24-26-31

Consumer Reports 2013 auto issue. Published in "April"

See what I did there

yesterday I got 31.5 today it dropped to 30.5 damn city traffic
Thats combined by the way
aeoporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #4149
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

On a side note, because you are not racking up the miles on the Impreza it will be worth more when you trade it for your new corolla, so there is that to consider.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #4150
hemophilic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301213
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Imp. Sp. Ltd.
Blue/Silver

Default

I'm stupid because my cvt gets 39mpg @ 65mph.
You're stupid because your expectation for 36mpg @ 79mph is foolish.
We keep going round and round but your argument is based solely on your "feeling" that the Impreza "should do better" and then assembling some "proof".
Endlessly regurgitating your feelings isn't going to make it better.
And of course it's ad hominem at this point. There's no foundation for the argument and really this thread is all about your weepy vag to begin with anyway.
For whining so much about how important your time is you sure spend a lot if it here...
Maybe some day the epa will reply to my inquiry (not holding my breath on that one) and we will have some validation one way or another.
In the meantime, get the sand out.
hemophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Impreza owner, low mpg? stuffedcabbage Newbies & FAQs 34 09-25-2012 10:10 PM
2012 Impreza Reviewed - Whytecliff to Seymour brendan_mac Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 16 12-23-2011 01:12 PM
NJ Impreza owners - sighting Dan G General Forum Archive 76 10-06-2000 12:24 AM
Md or Va Impreza owners - I have an Impreza related question. Snoopy General Forum Archive 1 06-05-2000 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.