Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #4726
r0dzilla7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344981
Join Date: Jan 2013
Vehicle:
2013 imp 5 dr 2.0i
Satin Pearl White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Spfld View Post

He was referring to going down long hills keeping it in lower gear to help hold speed down in lieu of coasting in N then using up brakes to slow down. We are not talking about hypermiling, or necessarily maximizing mpg. It's more about taking care of your equipment. If anyone here had ever been into offloading, you know you use low gearing with back pressure to go down hills for traction and stability. The brakes are not your friend there, same going down long hills on snow or ice.
True but it seems like unnecessary wear on ones engine to achieve that purpose. Brakes are cheap to replace compared to engine components.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
r0dzilla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #4727
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0dzilla7 View Post

True but it seems like unnecessary wear on ones engine to achieve that purpose. Brakes are cheap to replace compared to engine components.
That would be a good point, if it were in fact wear on the engine above and beyond normal running. RPM'S inn the 3-5000 range isn't hurting the engine. If it were, then the power band wouldn't be in that range. Idling the engine for long periods of time is harder on it than varying the rpm range. If you drove around with it at redline or putting heavy loads on it all the time will wear on it. But AGAIN, we are not talking about RPM'S with load, we are taking about letting the engine hold back speed with no load or TPS reading. If you do not feel comfortable with it, then by all means don't do it. We are just sharing with the board what we do. Take it FWIW, it is weird tho how with so many vehicles of all makes people who drive them very easy and avoid high RPM'S usually have trouble. Burning oil is a notable one, and rings have a hard time seating without a little pressure. I drive my cars probably a little harder than most, but I take care of them. And I've not had any major failures with anything I've had, less my old quad racer I blew up in the sand dunes :-)
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #4728
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Spfld View Post

That would be a good point, if it were in fact wear on the engine above and beyond normal running. RPM'S inn the 3-5000 range isn't hurting the engine. If it were, then the power band wouldn't be in that range. Idling the engine for long periods of time is harder on it than varying the rpm range. If you drove around with it at redline or putting heavy loads on it all the time will wear on it. But AGAIN, we are not talking about RPM'S with load, we are taking about letting the engine hold back speed with no load or TPS reading. If you do not feel comfortable with it, then by all means don't do it. We are just sharing with the board what we do. Take it FWIW, it is weird tho how with so many vehicles of all makes people who drive them very easy and avoid high RPM'S usually have trouble. Burning oil is a notable one, and rings have a hard time seating without a little pressure. I drive my cars probably a little harder than most, but I take care of them. And I've not had any major failures with anything I've had, less my old quad racer I blew up in the sand dunes :-)
Right, I was just a few hundred rpm higher than my normal cruising rpms, there really isn't any extra wear in that situation. In fact my last car is approaching 235k on the stock engine/trans and even though it is an automatic I would drive it the same way when I came out here in the past, forcing it to 2/3 gear to maintain safe speed rather than build excessive amounts then slam on the brakes.

Pretty much we always lol at the people we get behind who ride brakes the whole way down
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #4729
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Oh, and I found 4 hills today that 5th gear @ 80mph couldn't maintain. I lost 17mph trying to climb them (6% grade), the only gear that would almost maintain speed was 3rd at 5500+rpm, so I just admitted defeat, dropped to 4th, and accepted my 10mph loss. I was also between 4500-6500ft, so again the lack of available hp really showed itself. If I lived in these elevations, I don't think I would own this car. Probably the Forester with the 2.5
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #4730
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
Oh, and I found 4 hills today that 5th gear @ 80mph couldn't maintain. I lost 17mph trying to climb them (6% grade), the only gear rust would almost maintain speed was 3rd at 5500+rpm, so I just admitted defeat, dropped to 4th, and accepted my 10mph loss.
I've never tried it on a non boosted engine, but have been told a methanol injection system would help for times like that in our little cars. It's under $300 for the kit I believe and the medium is cheap enough. I'm going to Denver end of September, I'm thinking about throwing a kit on the car and playing with it. Can't hurt anything to try it I don't think. I think in the low O2 elevations it might be just what we need. If anyone here has tried it in this config chime in.

***edit***
http://www.snowperformance.net/stage...st-cooler.html

Was wrong on pricing, more in $460 range- going to check further into this.

Last edited by G2Spfld; 08-04-2013 at 01:40 AM.
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #4731
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Spfld View Post

I've never tried it on a non boosted engine, but have been told a methanol injection system would help for times like that in our little cars. It's under $300 for the kit I believe and the medium is cheap enough. I'm going to Denver end of September, I'm thinking about throwing a kit on the car and playing with it. Can't hurt anything to try it I don't think. I think in the low O2 elevations it might be just what we need. If anyone here has tried it in this config chime in.

***edit***
http://www.snowperformance.net/stage...st-cooler.html

Was wrong on pricing, more in $460 range- going to check further into this.
for how often I travel out this way that isn't worth it for me. Like I said, it was only 4 hills that I had issues with, I might have lost 90 seconds total between all of them. It looks like I still average about 30mpg for the trip on 87 e10.

Going to try 85.5 again today because it felt like I lost power with 87 compared to say before on 85.5, higher octane doesn't help at these altitudes, and actually seems to hurt performance.

At home 91 seems to help, but I'm only at about 900ft elevation
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #4732
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
"How close is their generic calculation to what you achieve with your impreza?" (when you drive it 80mph on the highway)

That lame-ass site guestimates 25.9mpg, how close are they to what you get?

Are you afraid to answer?


Tick, tock, tick, tock....
As I was reviewing my records, I saw that I did have a trip to Houston (aka close to sea level) with a highway fill at a consistent 80 mph. According to my ScanGauge I got 23.0 mpg.

I guess that puts my CVT below your 5MT then...
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #4733
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post

As I was reviewing my records, I saw that I did have a trip to Houston (aka close to sea level) with a highway fill at a consistent 80 mph. According to my ScanGauge I got 23.0 mpg.

I guess that puts my CVT below your 5MT then...
I don't know, I haven't driven my car for any substantial amount of time at 80mph. If you are trying to compare MPG's with me you need to slow down, 65-75mph is more reasonable for me, give the highest speed limit nearby is 65mph.

On a side note, since there are many CVT owners here, please feel free to fact check Stevenhnm's numbers, drive at 80mph with cruise on and see what your mpg is.

Last edited by Zeeper; 08-04-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #4734
jfarabaugh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 357945
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle:
2013 impreza sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post

I don't know, I haven't driven my car for any substantial amount of time at 80mph. If you are trying to compare MPG's with me you need to slow down, 65-75mph is more reasonable for me, give the highest speed limit nearby is 65mph.

On a side note, since there are many CVT owners here, please feel free to fact check Stevenhnm's numbers, drive at 80mph with cruise on and see what your mpg is.
23 sounds about right. I am now getting 24 mpg setting the cruise at 70 every day.
jfarabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #4735
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarabaugh View Post

23 sounds about right. I am now getting 24 mpg setting the cruise at 70 every day.
Do you have a roof rack?
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #4736
jfarabaugh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 357945
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle:
2013 impreza sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Spfld View Post
Do you have a roof rack?
13 sport limited so i have the rails
jfarabaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #4737
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

My XV is getting 29 mixed. 1700 miles on it. Starting to get better mpg's, I broke it in with zero regard for mpg's...
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #4738
79letour
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302570
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: dear old dixie
Vehicle:
2013 XV
DGM!

Default

On the interstate at 80, It gets around 28-30.
79letour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #4739
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarabaugh View Post

13 sport limited so i have the rails
I have a '13 sport and get 36-38 hwy without rack, 27-31 hwy with rack. That's driving speed limit with air. I've never had any tank in 9300 miles under 26, even city tanks using m mode with air. Must be another factor, elevation or something. Maybe I'm just lucky with mine so far. Ill take it regardless.
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #4740
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Spfld View Post
I have a '13 sport and get 36-38 hwy without rack, 27-31 hwy with rack. That's driving speed limit with air. I've never had any tank in 9300 miles under 26, even city tanks using m mode with air. Must be another factor, elevation or something. Maybe I'm just lucky with mine so far. Ill take it regardless.
The difference is they are not driving it at the speeds you are, that explains the mid to low 20's mpg's...
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #4741
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Since we are talking about driving fast, anyone know what top speed is on the 13 impreza's? I hit a little over 100 chasing down a drunk driver to get his license hoping to get him stopped before he killed anyone ( called HP and they asked me to see if I could get his tags, didn't tell them how fast I was going to get it lol).
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #4742
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
The difference is they are not driving it at the speeds you are, that explains the mid to low 20's mpg's...
So you think elevation has nothing to do with it?
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #4743
CLL_OBP
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 310435
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fayettenam, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
Obsidian Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Spfld View Post
Since we are talking about driving fast, anyone know what top speed is on the 13 impreza's? I hit a little over 100 chasing down a drunk driver to get his license hoping to get him stopped before he killed anyone ( called HP and they asked me to see if I could get his tags, didn't tell them how fast I was going to get it lol).
According to C/D, the governor limit is 122 mph. Scoutismo also confirmed this on a brand new XV Crosstrek in the 2012 Impreza Thread before deleting his post.
CLL_OBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #4744
lymphomaniac
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 334451
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: YVR
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza2.0i CVT
DGM (sedan)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
On a side note, since there are many CVT owners here, please feel free to fact check Stevenhnm's numbers, drive at 80mph with cruise on and see what your mpg is.
Highest speed limit here is 110 km/hr (just under 70 MPH), so as much as I'd love to try the test proposed here, it's illegal for me to do so.
lymphomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #4745
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL_OBP View Post
According to C/D, the governor limit is 122 mph. Scoutismo also confirmed this on a brand new XV Crosstrek in the 2012 Impreza Thread before deleting his post.
Shhhhhh, testing the max speed on a new XV while delivering it to another dealer never happened.

LOL
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #4746
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

He left the forums shortly thereafter. lol
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #4747
foghelmut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328414
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza SP 5MT
obsidian pearl black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
I did notice a bit of oil usage from yesterday's drive, maybe 8-10oz, there was a lot of 6-7% grades, and a lot of coasting downhill in 3rd (4000rpm) so I'm sure the pressure was just forcing a lot of oil through the pcv system.

6ish mpg climbing uphill though, lol
I should check mine, I never had any oil loss in the past though. I spent the weekend in northeastern PA, didn't use 5th gear much at all, and used a lot of engine braking. Averaged 32mpg for the trip though, but these mountains max out at about 1500-2000 feet above sea level.
foghelmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #4748
Trek7.2FX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 361330
Join Date: Jul 2013
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 5MT

Default

I am about halfway through my first tank on my 13 Impreza Sport Premium. Been averaging 27.3mpg. Very pleased thus far. Have 5mt. Mostly Suburban driving.
Trek7.2FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #4749
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Congrats on the new car.

Don't forget to update your profile.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #4750
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghelmut View Post

I should check mine, I never had any oil loss in the past though. I spent the weekend in northeastern PA, didn't use 5th gear much at all, and used a lot of engine braking. Averaged 32mpg for the trip though, but these mountains max out at about 1500-2000 feet above sea level.
Ya, I'm currently at about 3500ft, and will be going into Glacier National Park soon, so another day of mostly 2-3 gears coming up
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Impreza owner, low mpg? stuffedcabbage Newbies & FAQs 34 09-25-2012 10:10 PM
2012 Impreza Reviewed - Whytecliff to Seymour brendan_mac Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 16 12-23-2011 01:12 PM
NJ Impreza owners - sighting Dan G General Forum Archive 76 10-06-2000 12:24 AM
Md or Va Impreza owners - I have an Impreza related question. Snoopy General Forum Archive 1 06-05-2000 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.