Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #626
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky View Post
Here's a link to the video.... trying to get up 60mph, not a 0 to 60 test by any means, but a rapid acceleration just to specify. After the update, RPMs still drop, but differently. Before the update, they'd drop down to around 1500 RPM right at 40mph and I'd have to give the car more gas to continue accelerating. After the update, they drop down at 50mph instead but only to about 2500 RPM allowing me to still keep accelerating without leveling off or having to give it more gas.

This may seem marginal, but the most improvement I can note is in engine braking. That's VERY noticeable to me. Also, coming off the stops in the city from one stop sign to the next, this doesn't seem like as much "work" for the engine and my city #s aren't pulling down my average MPG like they were previously.

Hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/zY7iF2gNxdc
Thanks for the info SleepnMnky, I was curious what the reflash was going to do. Keep us posted on how the mileage goes. That was pretty cool of your GF to narrate.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #627
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky
Here's a link to the video.... trying to get up 60mph, not a 0 to 60 test by any means, but a rapid acceleration just to specify. After the update, RPMs still drop, but differently. Before the update, they'd drop down to around 1500 RPM right at 40mph and I'd have to give the car more gas to continue accelerating. After the update, they drop down at 50mph instead but only to about 2500 RPM allowing me to still keep accelerating without leveling off or having to give it more gas.

This may seem marginal, but the most improvement I can note is in engine braking. That's VERY noticeable to me. Also, coming off the stops in the city from one stop sign to the next, this doesn't seem like as much "work" for the engine and my city #s aren't pulling down my average MPG like they were previously.

Hope this helps.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/zY7iF2gNxdc
Awesome. Thx for the update. The difference is dramatic! Keep us posted on the mileage.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #628
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
Thanks for the info SleepnMnky, I was curious what the reflash was going to do. Keep us posted on how the mileage goes. That was pretty cool of your GF to narrate.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #629
Jmzda
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313812
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky View Post
Here's a link to the video.... trying to get up 60mph, not a 0 to 60 test by any means, but a rapid acceleration just to specify. After the update, RPMs still drop, but differently. Before the update, they'd drop down to around 1500 RPM right at 40mph and I'd have to give the car more gas to continue accelerating. After the update, they drop down at 50mph instead but only to about 2500 RPM allowing me to still keep accelerating without leveling off or having to give it more gas.

This may seem marginal, but the most improvement I can note is in engine braking. That's VERY noticeable to me. Also, coming off the stops in the city from one stop sign to the next, this doesn't seem like as much "work" for the engine and my city #s aren't pulling down my average MPG like they were previously.

Hope this helps.

http://youtu.be/zY7iF2gNxdc
Thanks for the video! That confirms that my car does have the new software because it was a lot more like the after video.
Jmzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #630
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

I knew my car was built pre-January based on picking it up in December. But didn't look at the manufacture date until today just out of curiosity. Mine was built in October!!! I really DO have one of the firsts. =)
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #631
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky View Post
I knew my car was built pre-January based on picking it up in December. But didn't look at the manufacture date until today just out of curiosity. Mine was built in October!!! I really DO have one of the firsts. =)
My first (lemoned car) was the first 170th car made. Crazy to think it was a 1st day car.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #632
tomwi53092
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316315
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Mequon, WI
Vehicle:
2012 Imp HB/Prem/CVT
DCP

Default

I wonder what that build date really means. If it takes 8-10 weeks to get a car, and 3-4 weeks of that is transportation and adding options at the port, that leaves a month or more for assembly.
I wonder how much of the car is built on the "build date."
tomwi53092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #633
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye
My first (lemoned car) was the first 170th car made. Crazy to think it was a 1st day car.
I know! I'm thankful being one of the firsts & NOT having any major issues. (aside from this MPG thing)
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #634
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwi53092 View Post
I wonder what that build date really means. If it takes 8-10 weeks to get a car, and 3-4 weeks of that is transportation and adding options at the port, that leaves a month or more for assembly.
I wonder how much of the car is built on the "build date."
i would guess (this is purely a guess) that the date listed should be the final assembly date. (if not, then i'm wrong and it doesn't make sense to me)

mine was built in Feb 2012 and i received my vehicle on April 3rd. of course, that gives 29 days of uncertainty to calculate the time of transport...
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #635
G-Omaha
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 209172
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CLL
BL2

Default

Off the assembly line date.
G-Omaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #636
PAO56
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 304676
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Ltd 5DR
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
That's great! Do you feel it's getting better with the higher miles?
I do to be honest........It seems to be getting better MPGs every 5K or so...first noticeable increast was after the first oil change and around 4K....then around 10K it slowly creeped up again....whether its the change in weather, fuel blends not sure.....but driving habits and route havent changed...
PAO56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #637
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAO56 View Post
I do to be honest........It seems to be getting better MPGs every 5K or so...first noticeable increast was after the first oil change and around 4K....then around 10K it slowly creeped up again....whether its the change in weather, fuel blends not sure.....but driving habits and route havent changed...
that's encouraging.

have you changed oil since 4k? (did the increase happen with a second oil change?)

i've found that the couple of new cars i've owned or watched (my parents), they have tended to get their biggest boost in the first few thousands of miles, but ultimately hit their stride (although not a huge increase) over a gradual run of 20k. (don't tell SOA or they will probably start feeding this as the party line )
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #638
chicagocpo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315470
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza LTD
Marine Blue Pearl

Default Country Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky View Post
Ew! No one enjoys a 55 mph highway run. I can't help but think driving faster shouldn't be affecting our MPGs as much as it is. I know it will effect it, but this margin is too much for me to swallow.
Well, at least 55 on a coutry road lets you open all the windows and enjoy the scenery. Once in a while I take the MPG gauge under the speedometer as a challenge to see what I can get for mileage.
chicagocpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #639
chicagocpo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315470
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza LTD
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmzda View Post
I took delivery in March. I would assume that the issues were fixed with taking delivery when I did but I definitely feel like the car has way too much engine braking on down slopes & there's a decent amount of drop off in acceleration after the car hits 40 mph from a stop with the same amount of gas applied. The drop off in acceleration is very common with CVT's once you hit a certain speed & it's probably normal but I wanted to make sure. But when I'm going down a hill and my RPMs jump from 1500RPM to 3500RPM to slow me down it's too excessive & I don't think that's how it should be. I was hoping these TSB's were the answer these issues. I think calling SOA would be a good idea to see if my car would've been affected.
This is my first CVT and it is taking some getting used to. I have noticed the engine braking on downslopes; one thing I've tried is popping to neutral (!) until I approach the bottom of the hill, the car does not seem to mind. I need lots more practice for effective paddle shifting.

Accelleration is another issue, I'm going to pay close attention to how me car behaves after watching the video. I find myself doing a pedal pump (release then apply) to induce a "down shift" accellerating onto the highway... I ordered on President's Day and took delivery early April. Are we learning yet?
chicagocpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #640
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocpo View Post
This is my first CVT and it is taking some getting used to. I have noticed the engine braking on downslopes; one thing I've tried is popping to neutral (!) until I approach the bottom of the hill, the car does not seem to mind. I need lots more practice for effective paddle shifting.
This is bad for any type of transmission and burns gas to keep the engine running while you are in neutral. When you engage drive again after coasting, there is a lot of drive train stress to get the output shafts on the transmission spinning and synced up again. Just click up on the paddles if you don't want to engine brake going downhill
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #641
PAO56
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 304676
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Ltd 5DR
Deep Cherry Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
that's encouraging.

have you changed oil since 4k? (did the increase happen with a second oil change?)

i've found that the couple of new cars i've owned or watched (my parents), they have tended to get their biggest boost in the first few thousands of miles, but ultimately hit their stride (although not a huge increase) over a gradual run of 20k. (don't tell SOA or they will probably start feeding this as the party line )
yes....following OEM schedule the last one was at 7500 miles....I honestly didnt pay that much attention as I have been averaging...31ish MPG....then I got the high of 33.5 this last fillup..surprised me...checked the figures and my mileage vs gallons twice......always allowing the nozzle to click off then filling again till it clicks one more time........
PAO56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #642
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post
This is bad for any type of transmission and burns gas to keep the engine running while you are in neutral. When you engage drive again after coasting, there is a lot of drive train stress to get the output shafts on the transmission spinning and synced up again. Just click up on the paddles if you don't want to engine brake going downhill
agree: neutral is not a good from a safety perspective nor the drivetrain perspective for an AT.

even MTs, IMHO, it's wise to stay in gear all the way to the light (i know lots of friends who pop it into neutral approaching a stoplight/stop sign) by gently downshifting so you are in gear in the case the light turns green or something happens which requires you to gas it and go...
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #643
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAO56 View Post
yes....following OEM schedule the last one was at 7500 miles....I honestly didnt pay that much attention as I have been averaging...31ish MPG....then I got the high of 33.5 this last fillup..surprised me...checked the figures and my mileage vs gallons twice......always allowing the nozzle to click off then filling again till it clicks one more time........
that's great. i hope i see similar slow drift up in my mileage.

i'm currently on my worse case scenario type of tank. mostly stop and go traffic, no drive greater than 5 miles before completely cooling down and i'm in the 25s right now on the computer. (prior which mixes this bad driving with some highway is 29 calculated 30 on the computer)

it's funny you mention your regular method of filling up. mine is usually (prior to this car) fill to click and then fill up to the nearest dollar. i was only doing weird amounts on my first two tanks of fuelly and then decided in the long run, i might as well just go back to my usual habit since it's easier when one is paying cash. (it's discounted for paying cash) in the end, it should all average out and a max of 1/4 gal isn't going to make a huge difference in the calculated mileage.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #644
Imprezasport12
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317866
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

I am kinda confused... What is the computer update for? What is the date where it doesn't apply?

Thanks
Imprezasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #645
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprezasport12
I am kinda confused... What is the computer update for? What is the date where it doesn't apply?

Thanks
Basically any car produced in January or later should have the current software already.

Service Bulletin # 11-113-12: TCM Reprogramming Files for Improved Drivability

Bulletin Description: This is to announce that TCM reprogramming files are now available to address a concern where, on light acceleration from a stop, the customer feels a sensation that the vehicle’s rate of acceleration is trailing off, requiring more throttle input to maintain a constant level of acceleration. Note: TCM reprogramming files were sent to all SDS users in the January 2012 SSMIII Update Version 1.31.45.7.

Service Bulletin # 11-115-12: ECM Reprogramming Files to Improve Drivability

Bulletin Description: This is to announce that ECM reprogramming files are now available to optimize engine drivability while cruising and during engine braking. Note: ECM reprogramming files were sent to all SDS users in the January 2012 SSMIII Update Version 1.31.45.7.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #646
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky View Post
Basically any car produced in January or later should have the current software already.

Service Bulletin # 11-113-12: TCM Reprogramming Files for Improved Drivability

Bulletin Description: This is to announce that TCM reprogramming files are now available to address a concern where, on light acceleration from a stop, the customer feels a sensation that the vehicle’s rate of acceleration is trailing off, requiring more throttle input to maintain a constant level of acceleration. Note: TCM reprogramming files were sent to all SDS users in the January 2012 SSMIII Update Version 1.31.45.7.

Service Bulletin # 11-115-12: ECM Reprogramming Files to Improve Drivability

Bulletin Description: This is to announce that ECM reprogramming files are now available to optimize engine drivability while cruising and during engine braking. Note: ECM reprogramming files were sent to all SDS users in the January 2012 SSMIII Update Version 1.31.45.7.
Depending on how the updates get applied, cars built after that January 16th date may still need the update. If they didn't see this as a big issue, Subaru may not have taken the time to re-flash all of the TCM and ECM modules they had already manufactured before placing them into cars.
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #647
Jmzda
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 313812
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Gray Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post
Depending on how the updates get applied, cars built after that January 16th date may still need the update. If they didn't see this as a big issue, Subaru may not have taken the time to re-flash all of the TCM and ECM modules they had already manufactured before placing them into cars.
When I called SOA last night they told me one of the updates was generated in sept and the other in nov. since my car was produced on 1/25 they told me I'm good. So I would say all jan cars should have the current software.
Jmzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #648
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmzda View Post
When I called SOA last night they told me one of the updates was generated in sept and the other in nov. since my car was produced on 1/25 they told me I'm good. So I would say all jan cars should have the current software.
interesting...though it makes me wonder why they didn't issue it until January...or was it available to dealers, but just not as a TSB?
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #649
seaflipper
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310047
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Limited
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post
Depending on how the updates get applied, cars built after that January 16th date may still need the update. If they didn't see this as a big issue, Subaru may not have taken the time to re-flash all of the TCM and ECM modules they had already manufactured before placing them into cars.
My car was built in October. I was told in April by my dealer that they were getting tons of complaints about the MPG on these cars and to call back in May for any TCM updates Subaru might have issued. I called today and my dealer says they don't know of any TSB's for the Impreza, I even specfically mentioned peoples experiences in these fourms - answer was still "no" from my dealer.

Anyway, I have called now and logged a compalint with SOA. I think everyone needs to call SOA and log an official compalint about these low MPG's issues.
seaflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #650
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmzda View Post
When I called SOA last night they told me one of the updates was generated in sept and the other in nov. since my car was produced on 1/25 they told me I'm good. So I would say all jan cars should have the current software.
While this might be true, there seems to be a huge information disconnect here. Even with the TSB data of 1-16-2012 and tons of people calling Subaru to complain about MPG and drivability, *no one* had information on this update until a couple weeks ago when it hit the Subaru technical page. With hundreds of enthusiastic 2012 Impreza owners just on this forum, seems weird that it went 3.5 months of being "available" until people knew.
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Impreza owner, low mpg? stuffedcabbage Newbies & FAQs 34 09-25-2012 10:10 PM
2012 Impreza Reviewed - Whytecliff to Seymour brendan_mac Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 16 12-23-2011 01:12 PM
NJ Impreza owners - sighting Dan G General Forum Archive 76 10-06-2000 12:24 AM
Md or Va Impreza owners - I have an Impreza related question. Snoopy General Forum Archive 1 06-05-2000 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.