Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday April 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #76
majormajor42
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300774
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Another good stat could be what is the highest you've seen the miles till empty reading say after filling up. I've only gassed up once so far, only had the car for a week and it said 410miles.

I forget how many total miles I have, a few hundred, but I am averaging about 30mpg with an average mph of thirtysomething.

I'll come back and edit my post after the next time I drive so report acurate numbers.

I once reset one of the trips just before driving on the highway. after ten miles I was getting about 35mpg without using cruise and doing 55-60, so I guess I'm fairly happy so far.

I have a 4-dr limited.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
majormajor42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #77
Venkman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 291740
Join Date: Aug 2011
Default

Averaging 27 mpg in 90% city driving.


Not bad for an AWD car with 1300 miles on it in the dead of winter when my trip computer says my average speed is 25-27 mph. The highway I do drive on has large hills which push the little engine. Limited model on stock tires. So far they have handles my light snow pretty well, too. I got up my steep driveway with 1-3 inches of snow on it with only a little bit of sliding.

I really, really can't complain!
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #78
JRod25314
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306903
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default

Just completed small road trip for work. Live in Charleston, WV and drove to Logan, WV. About 50 miles on the interstate and hills of WV. 39 degrees rain/snow mix. 32mpg with an average speed of 68mph. 2.0i premium sedan. With 1681 miles. Huge improvement from the 24mpg I was getting from my AWD BMW.
JRod25314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #79
cnlson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310098
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Dakota
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza PremCVT
Dark Cherry Pearl

Default

2012 premium cvt, 726 miles.
Averaging 27-28, at least until yesterday when it snowed and I spent my day off skidding around corners and doing 0-35 takeoffs in the snow to see how it will launch.

Today after work filled up, warm engine, outside temp 40 average speed going home was 62-68 on mostly flat with a few rolling hills, 35 miles. Average speed on the computer 48, average mpg 37.5, no drafting or other hypermiling techniques used.

Btw, I've used the aftermarket mileage display 's and they all run a little high. They usually allow you to calibrate the odo and maf because a little variance on those usually explains the difference. idling is also difficult for it to determine how much fuel is actually being used.
cnlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #80
imprzya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12181
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Vehicle:
2004 STi WRBro
12 Impreza Sport Limited

Default

I just got down to one bar and filled up 12.111 gallons, 301 miles. The dash gauge said 26.7mpg, my actual calculation was 24.9, I'm not very happy with that, not even getting close to the city estimate.
imprzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #81
mc02rex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 292160
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Sport Premium DGM

Default

You guys seem to be getting better mpg than me. I have 800 miles on mine and have filled up 3 times. Each time getting 21-22 mpg by my calculations. The gauge was 2 mpg high. Just curious to see what your average speed was for the trip. Mine ends up being only 20mph average.
mc02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #82
imprzya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12181
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Vehicle:
2004 STi WRBro
12 Impreza Sport Limited

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc02rex View Post
You guys seem to be getting better mpg than me. I have 800 miles on mine and have filled up 3 times. Each time getting 21-22 mpg by my calculations. The gauge was 2 mpg high. Just curious to see what your average speed was for the trip. Mine ends up being only 20mph average.
My last fill up my avg speed was 28mph
imprzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #83
Perks713
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 304414
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited

Default

I've started to get a bit better mileage since the last time I posted on this thread, mostly from changing my driving habits. Big difference between my last car and this one. Of course, I then stuck the roof rack and a ski box on the top, so MPG are out the window until spring rolls around.
Perks713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #84
cnlson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310098
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Dakota
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza PremCVT
Dark Cherry Pearl

Default

Updating my last post, including yesterday's commute I have 105 in commute miles, plus took the step son to see his gf for valentines and ended up with 76 miles of mixed highway/city for a total of 181 miles. Ave speed per the computer 45
Ave mileage per the computer 35.4mpg
And to answer the other request above, with 181 on the trip, miles to empty shows 320. Which would be a total of 501. Loving this car!

This morning until about 2.5 highway miles the indicated instant mpg was 22.5, and the rpm was nearly 3k at 62 rather than 2k. I happened to be watching at that moment and within .1 mile it dropped the rs and the mileage increased to 38mpg indicated.
cnlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #85
cnlson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310098
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Dakota
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza PremCVT
Dark Cherry Pearl

Default

One other thing I've noticed and the throttle by wire makes this hard to find, but there is a point in city driving where if you back off just slightly your mpg goes up substantially but your speed does not decrease. In fact I've been able to maintain slight acceleration and 45+ indicated instant mpg. I find myself using the eco gauge quite a bit.
cnlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #86
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc02rex View Post
You guys seem to be getting better mpg than me. I have 800 miles on mine and have filled up 3 times. Each time getting 21-22 mpg by my calculations. The gauge was 2 mpg high. Just curious to see what your average speed was for the trip. Mine ends up being only 20mph average.
My current overall average at last fill-up was 27.7mpg (true calculated, not based on the trip cpu). My average speed tends to fall around 32-34mph, and based upon most of my driving being trips under 15 miles and cold starts I would characterize my driving as 80 city/20 highway.

You average speed of 20mph is actually under the epa's 'city' test course average of about 22mph, which is a cold started car run over an 11 mile course in approximately 30 minutes. Your mpg isn't surprising to be honest as with such a low average speed (and I'm guessing an abundance of short trips, slow speeds and plenty of stop/go) it sounds as though your general driving conditions are worse than the epa's city test.
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #87
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnlson View Post
One other thing I've noticed and the throttle by wire makes this hard to find, but there is a point in city driving where if you back off just slightly your mpg goes up substantially but your speed does not decrease. In fact I've been able to maintain slight acceleration and 45+ indicated instant mpg. I find myself using the eco gauge quite a bit.
I use the gauge a lot myself too, it is a helpful tool that can be seen with a quick glance. I agree about the slower speeds driving around town, I'm starting to think that if all your driving is a slower speeds it might be advantageous to get up to speed faster than you would think. the CVT seems to like being pushed at low speeds.
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #88
cnlson
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310098
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Dakota
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza PremCVT
Dark Cherry Pearl

Default

for fun i took a couple of pics in case there are any doubters. my wife and I have been trying to out do each other in getting good mileage.

and yes, if you are keeping track that is 240 miles in 24 hours

36.9 average mpg over 240 miles



320 to go with 240 miles already down on this tank... 560
cnlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #89
mc02rex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 292160
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Sport Premium DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
My current overall average at last fill-up was 27.7mpg (true calculated, not based on the trip cpu). My average speed tends to fall around 32-34mph, and based upon most of my driving being trips under 15 miles and cold starts I would characterize my driving as 80 city/20 highway.

You average speed of 20mph is actually under the epa's 'city' test course average of about 22mph, which is a cold started car run over an 11 mile course in approximately 30 minutes. Your mpg isn't surprising to be honest as with such a low average speed (and I'm guessing an abundance of short trips, slow speeds and plenty of stop/go) it sounds as though your general driving conditions are worse than the epa's city test.
My trips are usually 8 miles long so they are pretty short. 3 miles of 35 mph speeds and the rest are 55mph. I have 7 lights during my trip. so that does explain it

Would warming up the car for a few minutes be better than just going be better for my mpg?
mc02rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #90
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc02rex View Post
My trips are usually 8 miles long so they are pretty short. 3 miles of 35 mph speeds and the rest are 55mph. I have 7 lights during my trip. so that does explain it

Would warming up the car for a few minutes be better than just going be better for my mpg?
I've never warmed up my car, at the very least it would be a wash, but likely even more of a waste. If you hit up some of the hyper miling websites, when they are suggesting things like shutting the car off if you know the light will be longer than 10 seconds, certainly letting your car idle wouldn't be recommended! I don't think it will help - several owners here have tried not using their remote starts and found mpg to improve.

I have potentially 10 lights on my 14 mile commute (1 way), usually only hit 3-4. After less than a mile i'm upto 55, and in another mile for the rest of the trip the speed limit is 65 then 60 before the last half mile. Initially my assumption was that my driving would then mostly be highway...it is at highway speed, right?! After reading the epa's description of their test methods, I can safely say that I would call my commute about 80 city/20 highway. I give some credit for highway due to the high speed but not solely due to the roads traveled.

The epa test for instance considers the engine only partly warmed up about 10 minutes into the drive, and not fully until 20 minutes...since my commute is only about 15 that adds weight to the 'city' portion. You can also find the average speeds of the city and highway tests. The city has avg speed of 22mph over 30 minutes and an 11 mile route (also with more stop/starts and a cold engine), while the highway portion has a 48mph average speed, with a warmed up engine and far less stop/starts.

The best indicator I think of where your driving falls on the epa scale is your average mph. Mine typically falls to around 32-34mph, and my overall driving I would call 65city/35highway. I'm getting slightly less than the combined epa average of 30mpg as well, so am right where I should be. If you're average speed is 22mph, that hits the city number right on the market. Anything below that, with constant cold starts as well, and you're looking at getting the city number at best, and possibly slightly lower.
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #91
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpaulx

I've never warmed up my car, at the very least it would be a wash, but likely even more of a waste. If you hit up some of the hyper miling websites, when they are suggesting things like shutting the car off if you know the light will be longer than 10 seconds, certainly letting your car idle wouldn't be recommended! I don't think it will help - several owners here have tried not using their remote starts and found mpg to improve.

I have potentially 10 lights on my 14 mile commute (1 way), usually only hit 3-4. After less than a mile i'm upto 55, and in another mile for the rest of the trip the speed limit is 65 then 60 before the last half mile. Initially my assumption was that my driving would then mostly be highway...it is at highway speed, right?! After reading the epa's description of their test methods, I can safely say that I would call my commute about 80 city/20 highway. I give some credit for highway due to the high speed but not solely due to the roads traveled.

The epa test for instance considers the engine only partly warmed up about 10 minutes into the drive, and not fully until 20 minutes...since my commute is only about 15 that adds weight to the 'city' portion. You can also find the average speeds of the city and highway tests. The city has avg speed of 22mph over 30 minutes and an 11 mile route (also with more stop/starts and a cold engine), while the highway portion has a 48mph average speed, with a warmed up engine and far less stop/starts..
I disagree. I have tested this repeatedly. I have a PZEV so that may have some relation. But when I avoid using my remote start & don't wait for the blue temp light to go away, the mpg gauge drops considerably driving away without the engine partly warmed up. If I use the remote starter for less than 3 minutes to save wasting gas from idling, again, brings mpg down a lot when driving away. When I use my remote start for at least 5 minutes, the mpg gauge drops slightly at first from idling but does not drop when driving away with the engine warmed up. The tiny bit that the idling eats up is nothing compared to the huge drop when driving away without the engine warmed up. I'm no hyper miler but I have tested this again and again & THIS car & my mileage tracking is all the proof I need. & I did calculate it myself as well.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #92
generationfourth
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 139510
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

2007 impreza 2.5... averaging 28mpg hwy
generationfourth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #93
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky View Post
I disagree. I have tested this repeatedly. I have a PZEV so that may have some relation. But when I avoid using my remote start & don't wait for the blue temp light to go away, the mpg gauge drops considerably driving away without the engine partly warmed up. If I use the remote starter for less than 3 minutes to save wasting gas from idling, again, brings mpg down a lot when driving away. When I use my remote start for at least 5 minutes, the mpg gauge drops slightly at first from idling but does not drop when driving away with the engine warmed up. The tiny bit that the idling eats up is nothing compared to the huge drop when driving away without the engine warmed up. I'm no hyper miler but I have tested this again and again & THIS car & my mileage tracking is all the proof I need. & I did calculate it myself as well.
that is interesting, it seems more and more that the pzev is a different kind of beast. Lower emissions at the cost of economy, at least for those of us in the northern climates for the winter months. Hopefully it is a trait of the pzev only in the cold, otherwise I'd sure like to have it removed! I got my car straight from the dealer (was another person's cancelled pre-order) and wouldn't have opted for it if I had ordered my own car, ah well live and learn!
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #94
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpaulx

that is interesting, it seems more and more that the pzev is a different kind of beast. Lower emissions at the cost of economy, at least for those of us in the northern climates for the winter months. Hopefully it is a trait of the pzev only in the cold, otherwise I'd sure like to have it removed! I got my car straight from the dealer (was another person's cancelled pre-order) and wouldn't have opted for it if I had ordered my own car, ah well live and learn!
I don't have a choice in NY with the PZEV. Ugh! I'm trying to hold off on judgment until warmer temps & no more winter gas blends.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #95
RxMPLS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303353
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Upper Midwest
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Sport Ltd

Default

My mileage started out pretty low (22-25 mpg), but seems to be improving. I changed the oil at 500 miles and it was pretty dark. It may just be coincidence as the weather got warm at this point too (above freezing, most days), but my mpg have crept up to 26-31 mpg since then.

I think I will see continuous improvement on this front for a while. I still seem to get horrendous mileage in the city, but on the highway it's pretty good.
RxMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #96
RxMPLS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303353
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Upper Midwest
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Sport Ltd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMPLS
My mileage started out pretty low (22-25 mpg), but seems to be improving. I changed the oil at 500 miles and it was pretty dark. It may just be coincidence as the weather got warm at this point too (above freezing, most days), but my mpg have crept up to 26-31 mpg since then.

I think I will see continuous improvement on this front for a while. I still seem to get horrendous mileage in the city, but on the highway it's pretty good.
Some more useful facts I forgot to include:

I'm driving the 5 speed hatch with 17" wheels.

I'm running sticky winter tires and fairly inexpensive winter wheels.

I rely on the odometer to calculate distance, but not the computer estimate for mpg (seems to be over or under by a few mpg fairly often, with no rhyme or reason).

Minnesota, where I live, is really cold most of the winter (doncha know?).

Last edited by RxMPLS; 02-18-2012 at 05:38 PM.
RxMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #97
SubyDoWhreRU
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308063
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default

I think changing your oil at 500 miles may not have been a good idea. New engines tend to have heavier, thicker oil put in at the factory that is different than the recommended oil so to better protect it during the break-in period. at the very least I would recommend not ever telling your dealer that you changed it that early if you have any warranty issues.
SubyDoWhreRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #98
RxMPLS
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 303353
Join Date: Dec 2011
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Upper Midwest
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
Sport Ltd

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyDoWhreRU View Post
I think changing your oil at 500 miles may not have been a good idea. New engines tend to have heavier, thicker oil put in at the factory that is different than the recommended oil so to better protect it during the break-in period. at the very least I would recommend not ever telling your dealer that you changed it that early if you have any warranty issues.
Thanks for the tips. I don't expect any issues, but I'll keep that in mind.
RxMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #99
subiTWO
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273054
Join Date: Feb 2011
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky View Post
I disagree. I have tested this repeatedly. I have a PZEV so that may have some relation. But when I avoid using my remote start & don't wait for the blue temp light to go away, the mpg gauge drops considerably driving away without the engine partly warmed up. If I use the remote starter for less than 3 minutes to save wasting gas from idling, again, brings mpg down a lot when driving away. When I use my remote start for at least 5 minutes, the mpg gauge drops slightly at first from idling but does not drop when driving away with the engine warmed up. The tiny bit that the idling eats up is nothing compared to the huge drop when driving away without the engine warmed up. I'm no hyper miler but I have tested this again and again & THIS car & my mileage tracking is all the proof I need. & I did calculate it myself as well.
If you check your average mileage just before you shut off your car, and then compare that number to the mileage you have after driving the first mile the next morning, you'll find that letting the car idle for 5 minutes produces a lower number than starting the car and immediately driving it a mile. You are describing the action of the mpg average slowing dropping while you let the car idle for 5 minutes, and you haven't noticed it...
subiTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #100
virtualvoid
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 310292
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default

First fill up, 281 miles / 11.247 gallons = 25 mpg. My guess would be ~50% highway.
Trip cpu report was somewhere around 26.5
virtualvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Impreza owner, low mpg? stuffedcabbage Newbies & FAQs 34 09-25-2012 10:10 PM
2012 Impreza Reviewed - Whytecliff to Seymour brendan_mac Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 16 12-23-2011 01:12 PM
NJ Impreza owners - sighting Dan G General Forum Archive 76 10-06-2000 12:24 AM
Md or Va Impreza owners - I have an Impreza related question. Snoopy General Forum Archive 1 06-05-2000 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.