Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #1101
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

my latest tank: 243.2 gal, 9.15gal

24 mph average
computer read 28.8mpg
calculated at 26.6mpg

calculated number adjusted by 4% for odometer error --> 27.7mpg

i'm driving more spirited at times now...this mileage is pretty consistent with what i've gotten previously for a tank of about 25% highway.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #1102
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

i forgot, my first fillup was yesterday in my car, 278.9 miles * 2.8% odometer error/9.8 gallons = 29.3mpg, i think the car read 30.2. I can live with that.

hoping it gets better though as everyone says it does doesn't even have 290 indicated miles on it yet.
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #1103
subiTWO
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273054
Join Date: Feb 2011
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT HB

Default Temp and Wind, Premium Gas, and Hypermiling MPG

I've been thinking about using daily weather data to build a more complete picture of my mileage. I used a local weather station's data, from WeatherUnderground's feeds from weather hobbyists, to get the temp and wind data shown below.

It seems that temp is the largest factor in mileage, and surprisingly, it seems that I can get up to 2 mpg more from E0 Premium, than that E10 junk. (That makes Premium CHEAPER to use than E10). Hard driving subtracts 2 mpg, hypermiling doesn't seem to help me very much, compared to accelerating with the CVT keeping RPM under 3,000.

This last tank (32.001 mpg) was attained while going 4,000 to 5,000 rpm from a stop, with 4 or 5 blasts from 0-90 mph. After 8500 miles, I'm completely satisfied with this mileage.

subiTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #1104
Crux
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321348
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Howell, NJ
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
White

Default

I have 4,356 miles and getting an average of 30.9 mpg on my 5-speed sedan. I do 60/40 highway/city driving. I notice that I actually do better mpg-wise when I'm not paying too much attention on the mpg gauge/monitor.
Crux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #1105
JoePa
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 297947
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

I have the base model with CVT. Got the car in Late Dec, and 3000 miles later, I have seen steady improvement each tank, started at 26 mpg, and last tank came in at 32.5 mpg, driving habits have not changed much 60-70 percent city. have noted the trip computer over estimates by about 2 mpg.
JoePa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #1106
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crux View Post
I have 4,356 miles and getting an average of 30.9 mpg on my 5-speed sedan. I do 60/40 highway/city driving. I notice that I actually do better mpg-wise when I'm not paying too much attention on the mpg gauge/monitor.
Are those numbers from the trip computer or calculated?

Howell, NJ? I moved from Ramtown less than 2 years ago!
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #1107
Crux
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321348
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Howell, NJ
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
Are those numbers from the trip computer or calculated?

Howell, NJ? I moved from Ramtown less than 2 years ago!
Numbers are from the trip computer. I haven't changed the Trip B selection.

I've been living in Howell for the last 8 years! Small world, man.
Crux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #1108
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crux View Post
Numbers are from the trip computer. I haven't changed the Trip B selection.

I've been living in Howell for the last 8 years! Small world, man.
just so you are aware, the trip computer for most people is optimistic by about 4 to 5 percent...for me it is usually around. 1 to 1.5mpg higher than actual calculated mpg.
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #1109
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
just so you are aware, the trip computer for most people is optimistic by about 4 to 5 percent...for me it is usually around. 1 to 1.5mpg higher than actual calculated mpg.
Although the data is skewed its consistently skewed.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #1110
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
Although the data is skewed its consistently skewed.
It is not always skewed. Many have noticed that some of the highway numbers are actually under reading on the trip computer. I have noticed this with my car.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #1111
BazookaBlue
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320177
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Live Free or Die N'Hampsha!
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

I just got my 2012 Impreza a couple weeks ago and now have over 600 miles. I'm liking this car more and more. I'm very impressed with the AVG MPG.

BazookaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #1112
Crux
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 321348
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Howell, NJ
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
just so you are aware, the trip computer for most people is optimistic by about 4 to 5 percent...for me it is usually around. 1 to 1.5mpg higher than actual calculated mpg.
Thanks for the info. I never really thought of actually calculating the mpg myself. I came off a Jeep Liberty so whatever inaccuracy I may have is all good as I am getting a lot more out of a tank of gas on the Impreza.
Crux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #1113
Penguin44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315883
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2012 IMPREZA
Silver

Default

Checked odometer via 2 garmin units. Spot on.
Penguin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #1114
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Just took a 125 mile trip to DC today filling up just before leaving. Drove with the A/C on the whole time (not cranked, but on). Averaged about 65 MPH. Hit a little bit of traffic in DC, but not too much. Filled up when I got back and calculated 30.8 MPG, not ecstatic about those numbers considering it was almost all highway, but I guess the A/C has a large effect.

FYI, my trip computer said I was getting high 32 MPG.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #1115
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
Just took a 125 mile trip to DC today filling up just before leaving. Drove with the A/C on the whole time (not cranked, but on). Averaged about 65 MPH. Hit a little bit of traffic in DC, but not too much. Filled up when I got back and calculated 30.8 MPG, not ecstatic about those numbers considering it was almost all highway, but I guess the A/C has a large effect.

FYI, my trip computer said I was getting high 32 MPG.
fan speed shouldn't affect the ac compressor, and the temp dial is just a mixer.
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #1116
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
fan speed shouldn't affect the ac compressor, and the temp dial is just a mixer.
But I think the interval that the compressor kicks in is dependant on how much you're stressing the A/C system. I was thinking about this today as I was driving!
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #1117
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
But I think the interval that the compressor kicks in is dependant on how much you're stressing the A/C system. I was thinking about this today as I was driving!
that could be. would an obd scanner tell you if the ac compressor is on?

i forgot you have the limited now, so no manual HVAC
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #1118
bobdole888
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316658
Join Date: Apr 2012
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza limited
5dr silver

Default

I was at the dealer today to ask them about the 2 TSB's for CVT that address drivability. There was definately a lot of resistance. They won't give it to anyone that ask for it. Essentially, they will only do it if you can show them through a test drive that you have the symptoms that the TSB describes before they would apply new program files from the 2 TSB.

My car was built in Feb/2012, and they said it already has the lastest program files. I was wondering if it's possible that some data might get corrupted over time and there may be benefit to re-program the files just be sure. But they will not do that for my case.

I originally brought in because the "check engine" light came on for no reason while I was driving. They couldn't figure out why the engine light came on, on that the ECU lost communication with the HVAC unit temporarily and that's what triggered the light. However, the communication has been restored by itself.
bobdole888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #1119
jr0bb5
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315353
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: MA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp Prem
5MT OBP/DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
just so you are aware, the trip computer for most people is optimistic by about 4 to 5 percent...for me it is usually around. 1 to 1.5mpg higher than actual calculated mpg.
I have also found at 6 fill-ups that the trip computer shows 1 to 1.5 MPG's higher than my calculated MPG's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye View Post
but I guess the A/C has a large effect.
Two tanks ago, I didn't use the AC at all. My last tank I used the AC about 90% of the time. I only lost about .4 MPG.
jr0bb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #1120
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole888 View Post
I was at the dealer today to ask them about the 2 TSB's for CVT that address drivability. There was definately a lot of resistance. They won't give it to anyone that ask for it. Essentially, they will only do it if you can show them through a test drive that you have the symptoms that the TSB describes before they would apply new program files from the 2 TSB.

My car was built in Feb/2012, and they said it already has the lastest program files. I was wondering if it's possible that some data might get corrupted over time and there may be benefit to re-program the files just be sure. But they will not do that for my case.

I originally brought in because the "check engine" light came on for no reason while I was driving. They couldn't figure out why the engine light came on, on that the ECU lost communication with the HVAC unit temporarily and that's what triggered the light. However, the communication has been restored by itself.
I doubt that the firmware would be corrupted. If you have any doubt as to what firmware you have in your car, I would contact SOA directly, they may be able to know the answer. Look at SleepNMnky's youtube video and you can see a before and after the firmware flash.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:48 AM   #1121
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye
Just took a 125 mile trip to DC today filling up just before leaving. Drove with the A/C on the whole time (not cranked, but on). Averaged about 65 MPH. Hit a little bit of traffic in DC, but not too much. Filled up when I got back and calculated 30.8 MPG, not ecstatic about those numbers considering it was almost all highway, but I guess the A/C has a large effect.

FYI, my trip computer said I was getting high 32 MPG.
I agree. With allergy fuzz flying around here & summer showing up early & hot I've used AC for pretty much this whole tank... seems to make a good 2 mpg difference for me.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #1122
hemophilic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301213
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Imp. Sp. Ltd.
Blue/Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky

I agree. With allergy fuzz flying around here & summer showing up early & hot I've used AC for pretty much this whole tank... seems to make a good 2 mpg difference for me.
Ditto the AC and heat but my numbers are looking good this tank. I have about 225 miles on half a tank with probably 75% hwy, cruise at 55 65 (posted speed limit) and AC on auto. So far dash says 35.4 mpg. 45 mph avg. We'll see what a week of my regular commute does to the rest of the tank. It's on track to be my best tank yet.
I did recently get my 3k oil change.
hemophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #1123
auskip07
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315643
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sedan
DGM 5mt

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
that could be. would an obd scanner tell you if the ac compressor is on?

i forgot you have the limited now, so no manual HVAC
im not sure an OBD scanner would be able to tell you if its cycled on or off but turning the AC off would certainly tell you its off.
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #1124
Commander Keen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 319157
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 5MT

Default

Quote:
im not sure an OBD scanner would be able to tell you if its cycled on or off but turning the AC off would certainly tell you its off.
Unless it's on defrost.
Commander Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #1125
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Keen View Post
Unless it's on defrost.
just seems like there are a lot more variables that can be seen now with the newer cars than my old one. My 97.5 Regal was OBDII but only about 1/5 of the options available in Torque are variables that computer has. I will look a little more
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Impreza owner, low mpg? stuffedcabbage Newbies & FAQs 34 09-25-2012 10:10 PM
2012 Impreza Reviewed - Whytecliff to Seymour brendan_mac Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 16 12-23-2011 01:12 PM
NJ Impreza owners - sighting Dan G General Forum Archive 76 10-06-2000 12:24 AM
Md or Va Impreza owners - I have an Impreza related question. Snoopy General Forum Archive 1 06-05-2000 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.