Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 14, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #1951
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
Yes it does. You are expecting better than epa at I'm presuming faster than epa speeds in an.... wait for it..... AWD vehicle. Have you tried to drive the exact same way the epa tested to see if their numbers are achievable?
This doesn't explain why my 2012 Impreza (36 MPG highway) is barely doing more than 2 MPG better than my 2004 Outback (25 MPG highway) in the same driving. In longer drives, the Impreza advantage increases a bit. Last I checked, the Outback was AWD.

I can beat EPA numbers easily with the Outback AND with 3 other new cars I have owned since 2007 (Corolla, Jetta, and F150). With the Impreza I have beaten the EPA highway MPG once in 16K miles of 90% highway driving.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #1952
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris

This doesn't explain why my 2012 Impreza (36 MPG highway) is barely doing more than 2 MPG better than my 2004 Outback (25 MPG highway) in the same driving. Last I checked, the Outback was AWD.
I only see mpg that low with a killer headwind or excessive speeding. ( saw 23.5mpg this morning, but i was doing 87mph into a small, 10mph headwind).

I think a lot of it is driving habits and gas quality.

But he was specifically complaining about a fwd vehicle beating epa estimates vs an awd vehicle not living up to them(in his mind, not necessarily true because i don't know his driving habits and if they are similar to epa or not, but i gather not)
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #1953
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
I only see mpg that low with a killer headwind or excessive speeding. ( saw 23.5mpg this morning, but i was doing 87mph into a small, 10mph headwind).

I think a lot of it is driving habits and gas quality.

But he was specifically complaining about a fwd vehicle beating epa estimates vs an awd vehicle not living up to them(in his mind, not necessarily true because i don't know his driving habits and if they are similar to epa or not, but i gather not)
My driving habits are "Get on the highway, set the cruise control at 67(ish) MPH. Drive to grocery store when needed."

Where I live it is all E10 gas. The nearest fueling station with regular gas is in another state almost 75 miles away.
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #1954
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
But he was specifically complaining about a fwd vehicle beating epa estimates vs an awd vehicle not living up to them(in his mind, not necessarily true because i don't know his driving habits and if they are similar to epa or not, but i gather not)
As much as I'm satisfied (if not happy) about the MPGs is probably because I settle back to the AWD argument...but why on earth should we have to? EPA ratings are tallied in the same manner regardless of a vehicle's drive train, so why are you trying to take it into account as to why people aren't satisfied with the real-world numbers from the impreza? It isn't as though Subaru were able to run the EPA test using a 2wd version.
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #1955
uspopo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317014
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY/CA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
ISM

Default

Then maybe people should compare other similar AWD vehicles such as the 2012 Honda CRV 23/31 and Nissan Rogue 23/28 to find out if those owners are finding big discrepancies between EPA estimated Highway and actual highway. I personally don't care because I'm satisfied with the numbers on my car and the 36mpg seems realistic enough for me.
uspopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #1956
saabarupp
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 189032
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Ltd 413/800
'12 Impreza Sport Ltd DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Agreed. And that reason is ignorance.
Remember those commercials for diesel BMWs that focused on trying to teach Americans? Didn't catch on though. Nation with a learning disability.
saabarupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #1957
superwhale
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330187
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Tustin, CA
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Limited
SWP

Default

Does anyone have any input on millage using a cargo basket ontop of their cars? I've expereince 2-4 mpg drop on my GTI and was wondering if it was any different on the wrx.
superwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #1958
Zauri
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333487
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 2.0
Limited DGM CVT

Default mpg

New guy here (2012 Impreza Sedan Limited)

So Far I have been fueling up around the time the dash has one bar left. I am only on my 3rd fuel up

I usually fill up around 12 gallons.

The first two fill ups I have had were at 340 miles at 12.1 gals and then 330 miles at 12.3 gals (mostly inner town stop and go driving )

Now.. I just took a round trip to Winchester VA(204 mi total) and with the tank at 50% I am already at 260 mi which I would say is a pretty decent improvement.

I honestly assume as long as I get anywhere between 310-360 per fill up I am satisfied. (this is my first Subaru)
Zauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #1959
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uspopo View Post
Then maybe people should compare other similar AWD vehicles such as the 2012 Honda CRV 23/31 and Nissan Rogue 23/28 to find out if those owners are finding big discrepancies between EPA estimated Highway and actual highway. I personally don't care because I'm satisfied with the numbers on my car and the 36mpg seems realistic enough for me.
Looks like the CRV has 112 vehicles on fuelly for 2012 with an average of 27.3mpg (Also, you quoted the 2wd mpg number, not the 4wd which is 22/30, and the rogue fwd is 23/28 while the awd is only supposed to be 22/26). The rogue as only 11 2012s reporting with an average of 25.8. The impreza has 192 cars logged and an average of 28.1. So, the honda and rogue are basically right in the middle of their city/highway numbers and the impreza is about 10% shy of its middle number (which would be 31.5). Not that I would want either of their AWD systems over the subaru, which is spectacular compared with our old honda element.
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #1960
WStrembitsky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323877
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpaulx

Looks like the CRV has 112 vehicles on fuelly for 2012 with an average of 27.3mpg (Also, you quoted the 2wd mpg number, not the 4wd which is 22/30, and the rogue fwd is 23/28 while the awd is only supposed to be 22/26). The rogue as only 11 2012s reporting with an average of 25.8. The impreza has 192 cars logged and an average of 28.1. So, the honda and rogue are basically right in the middle of their city/highway numbers and the impreza is about 10% shy of its middle number (which would be 31.5). Not that I would want either of their AWD systems over the subaru, which is spectacular compared with our old honda element.
Using facts and math to make a point? Are you a Democrat?
WStrembitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #1961
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Just fueled up., 12.75 gallons

372.1 miles which breaks down like this.
70ish miles in town
90 miles doing 85ish on interstate
Remaining miles 72-75mph on interstate

29.2mpg

I'm not complaining, i have the 5sp too :-)
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #1962
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

I'm complaining! This car sucks!!






Of course I'm kidding. However judging from my two STI's and how impossible it is to hit the HWY mileage, I kinda expected this. It beats my old '00 Infiniti G20, so I'm happy in that aspect.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #1963
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

i agree! look at this crappy mpg I got today on my way home. this was after I parked the car. 10miles were in town driving, the other 40 were highway doing 75mph with about a 15mph tailwind.




and i know from experience in zero wind my car gets pretty much 31.5mpg at 75mph.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #1964
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Nice!
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #1965
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrt1987 View Post
Nice!

it's no 40mpg, but if I wanted that I would have pulled the trigger on a Mazda3. I decided to take the mpg hit for the awd and I am glad i did. it will be great this winter, and it has proven plenty fun in the rain and on gravel

i will admit the advertised mpg is what tilted the scales for me, but as i have said all along, i wasn't expecting more than 30mpg

i guess i could have slowed down to like 60mph and gotten upper 40's but i feel like crap with this cold and I just wanted to get home. good thing our interstate speed limits are 75 in this state.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #1966
Zauri
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333487
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 4DR 2.0
Limited DGM CVT

Default

Anyone else use cruise control all the time?

Basically I put it on when ever i'm on a stretch over a few miles. Better than trying to feather the throttle all the time. It seems to help with MPG even when covering not so long distances and simply using th trigger to accel/decel when need be.
Zauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #1967
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
Anyone else use cruise control all the time?

Basically I put it on when ever i'm on a stretch over a few miles. Better than trying to feather the throttle all the time. It seems to help with MPG even when covering not so long distances and simply using th trigger to accel/decel when need be.
I do the same thing.
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #1968
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
it's no 40mpg, but if I wanted that I would have pulled the trigger on a Mazda3. I decided to take the mpg hit for the awd and I am glad i did. it will be great this winter, and it has proven plenty fun in the rain and on gravel

i will admit the advertised mpg is what tilted the scales for me, but as i have said all along, i wasn't expecting more than 30mpg

i guess i could have slowed down to like 60mph and gotten upper 40's but i feel like crap with this cold and I just wanted to get home. good thing our interstate speed limits are 75 in this state.
Aah - you have a cold. Must be that the medicine is why you're not following the conversation. I said the EPA highway number for my '13 cvt Impreza is the same as the renormed (adjusted to post '08 figure) number for my '04 5sp Corolla with over 200,000 miles on it. 36 mpg. Supposedly the same procedure on both cars.

However, my Corolla gets about 40 mph at 80 mph (averaged both ways) on my 100 mile one way commute, and I am lucky to get 30 in the Impreza. Something is rotten in Denmark (errh Washington DC - but we knew that anyway...)

Same test numbers on two different cars, drastically different real world numbers. I can get 50 mpg in the Impreza at 55 mph, but that's not real "highway".
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #1969
chicagocpo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315470
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza LTD
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
I agree that EPA ratings shouldn't necessarily be a specific owner's actual expectation of performance, however you are also correct that it should be a general guide, based on your driving history and habits, of what you should reasonably expect.

My problem is that the Subaru doesn't fit into that pattern for us. My wife and I drive very similarly and switch vehicles several times a week. I do have the longer commute though, and have almost solely been driving our fiat...why? Because even when I drove the Subaru ONLY on my commute (which is basically flat, 22 miles one way and minimal traffic at 60-65mph) the car only mustered 32.2mpg (interestingly the gauge read 35.7 on that tank...so don't trust your gauge, and no the tanks before/after were not wildly in-accurate on the positive side...see https://www.fuelly.com/driver/pxpaulx/impreza I am talking about tank #25).

On the other hand, our Fiat has lifetime mpg of 37.7 so far over 5200 miles (and climbing, epa rating of 30/38 for the manual). The gauge has never been more than 1mpg on the high side either. This week so far I have driven the Fiat only for my commute, and the gauge reads 41.2mpg, which will likely be about 40.5mpg if I filled and calculated it today.

Basically our house is right on the highway and work is right off it, I get on and set the cruise (only because it really is a flat drive), and yet arrive at completely different results from both cars...on a relative scale using the EPA ratings only as a gauge the subaru should conservatively be able to get 35mpg on my commute, yet it doesn't. Oh well!

The other thing is I really should do a video showing the instant mpg readouts of both cars over the same stretches...because they really don't look that different while I am driving - that would be extremely tough to get matched up though, but would be interesting.
Have you verified the accuracy of your odometer on that 22 mile commute? You're in a great position to do so - just compare the Fiat and Subaru numbers for the same route! Just asking because of the 3.5 mpg delta between the gauge and your calculation, and because I've concluded mine records 5% low. I mult x 1.05 for my "true" distance travelled. Your dealer can adjust the mpg readout +/- 10% if it's really that bad, but the odometer is another matter.
chicagocpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #1970
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

I bet you can't get 50 MPG @ 55 MPH.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #1971
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm
Same test numbers on two different cars, drastically different real world numbers. I can get 50 mpg in the Impreza at 55 mph, but that's not real "highway".
Pics or it didn't happen & trip odo has to be in it too so you can't fudge it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Eye
I bet you can't get 50 MPG @ 55 MPH.
I'm with you STEye. I call BS!
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #1972
stevehnm
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329526
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Ground Control
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Spt cvt
Silver

Default

Not only that, but to prove it I'd have to do a two way run with video. What do you get on the flat at 55, cruise control?

Seriously, it does great at really slow speed, but get it up with traffic out west here and it just s_cks.

P.S. I'm reading off the Scangauge.
stevehnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #1973
bobdole888
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316658
Join Date: Apr 2012
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza limited
5dr silver

Default

MPG data from:
http://www.mpgomatic.com/2012/07/19/...-sport-review/
Cruise control set to 68 MPH, A/C off, windows up: 36.6 MPG
Cruise control set to 68 MPH, A/C on, windows up: 36.9 MPG
Cruise control off, target speed 60-72 MPH, A/C off, windows up: 40.8 MPG

For Reference, here's Mazda 3 skyactive:
http://www.mpgomatic.com/2012/01/10/...yactiv-review/
Cruise control set to 68 MPH, A/C off, windows up: 44.3 MPG
Cruise control off, target speed 60-72 MPH, A/C off, windows up: 45.9 MPG

Mazda is rated for 40 mpg, impreza is rated for 36.
If you don't use cruise control, the numbers look right.
Cruise control still doesn't beat a good driver.
bobdole888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #1974
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole888 View Post
MPG data from:
http://www.mpgomatic.com/2012/07/19/...-sport-review/
Cruise control set to 68 MPH, A/C off, windows up: 36.6 MPG
Cruise control set to 68 MPH, A/C on, windows up: 36.9 MPG
Cruise control off, target speed 60-72 MPH, A/C off, windows up: 40.8 MPG

For Reference, here's Mazda 3 skyactive:
http://www.mpgomatic.com/2012/01/10/...yactiv-review/
Cruise control set to 68 MPH, A/C off, windows up: 44.3 MPG
Cruise control off, target speed 60-72 MPH, A/C off, windows up: 45.9 MPG

Mazda is rated for 40 mpg, impreza is rated for 36.
If you don't use cruise control, the numbers look right.
Cruise control still doesn't beat a good driver.
but at 6am i am tired and can't maintain speed very well. and after being gone for 14 hours, ditto. cruise control is great!
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #1975
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
i agree! look at this crappy mpg I got today on my way home. this was after I parked the car. 10miles were in town driving, the other 40 were highway doing 75mph with about a 15mph tailwind.




and i know from experience in zero wind my car gets pretty much 31.5mpg at 75mph.
well this gives me hope. the CVT should be capable of slightly better right? My MPGs are currently around 26 MPG but I drive about 3.5 miles to work with a few stop signs and somewhat hilly roads. I'm also well below 1000 miles on the car.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Impreza owner, low mpg? stuffedcabbage Newbies & FAQs 34 09-25-2012 10:10 PM
2012 Impreza Reviewed - Whytecliff to Seymour brendan_mac Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 16 12-23-2011 01:12 PM
NJ Impreza owners - sighting Dan G General Forum Archive 76 10-06-2000 12:24 AM
Md or Va Impreza owners - I have an Impreza related question. Snoopy General Forum Archive 1 06-05-2000 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.