Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #1976
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
My MPGs are currently around 26 MPG but I drive about 3.5 miles to work with a few stop signs and somewhat hilly roads.
You will never see advertised MPGs with those driving conditions, even after your engine is fully broken in.

If you want to see what your car is capable of, go on a road trip consisting of mostly highway miles (hundreds of them), and set the cruise control at the posted speed limit. Don't run A/C if you can help it, and don't roll your windows down. Make sure your tire pressure is good. Fill up your tank and reset your odometer just before getting on the highway.

That should do it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #1977
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
You will never see advertised MPGs with those driving conditions, even after your engine is fully broken in.

If you want to see what your car is capable of, go on a road trip consisting of mostly highway miles (hundreds of them), and set the cruise control at the posted speed limit. Don't run A/C if you can help it, and don't roll your windows down. Make sure your tire pressure is good. Fill up your tank and reset your odometer just before getting on the highway.

That should do it.
and when he said posted, he re really mean less than 70 or about 65 mph.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #1978
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
You will never see advertised MPGs with those driving conditions, even after your engine is fully broken in.
that's kind of my point actually. If I can get close to the "city" MPG number with my commute I'd consider that a success.

eta: I haven't done much highway yet. just a trip that I was driving 75-80 early on so not a good test.

Last edited by M45; 09-28-2012 at 08:34 AM.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #1979
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
that's kind of my point actually. If I can get close to the "city" MPG number with my commute I'd consider that a success.
Yeah, that short commute is really a challenge for your MPG numbers. The engine is just warming up when you've arrived at your destination. That's no way to achieve stellar MPGs.

If it wasn't for range anxiety on longer trips, I'd suggest that you get a Nissan Leaf, or the new Honda Fit EV. Your daily commute is perfect for an electric vehicle.

Of course, EVs price out much higher than the Impreza. It would take a long time to make up that price difference. So enjoy your Impreza, turn off your trip odometers because it's not worth looking at with your driving scenario, and enjoy your new Impreza!
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #1980
pgh88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316756
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
Looks like the CRV has 112 vehicles on fuelly for 2012 with an average of 27.3mpg (Also, you quoted the 2wd mpg number, not the 4wd which is 22/30, and the rogue fwd is 23/28 while the awd is only supposed to be 22/26). The rogue as only 11 2012s reporting with an average of 25.8. The impreza has 192 cars logged and an average of 28.1. So, the honda and rogue are basically right in the middle of their city/highway numbers and the impreza is about 10% shy of its middle number (which would be 31.5). Not that I would want either of their AWD systems over the subaru, which is spectacular compared with our old honda element.
Let us not forget about the apples to apples comparison. A tall riding CUV like the CRV with 185 5 speed auto and it most likely weighs more than the low slung 148 hp/CVT Impreza. Sure. The Impreza will impress you with it's MPG if you drive painfully slow and for me thats not the real world. If you drive normal and with 148 hp, I'm on the gas all the time. I will get 23mpg max city. I have not tried HYW but I average 70-80mph so my assumption is the 36 mpg rating will not exist. The strange thing is my 10 Outback wagon gets the same MPG as the Impreza driven the same way.
pgh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #1981
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Yeah, that short commute is really a challenge for your MPG numbers. The engine is just warming up when you've arrived at your destination. That's no way to achieve stellar MPGs.

If it wasn't for range anxiety on longer trips, I'd suggest that you get a Nissan Leaf, or the new Honda Fit EV. Your daily commute is perfect for an electric vehicle.

Of course, EVs price out much higher than the Impreza. It would take a long time to make up that price difference. So enjoy your Impreza, turn off your trip odometers because it's not worth looking at with your driving scenario, and enjoy your new Impreza!
If I could guarantee I'd be sticking with this job for the next 5-10 years I'd agree with you but if I get a new job it probably won't be nearly as close. I'm enjoying it! I have no complaints about the way the car drives.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #1982
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01

You will never see advertised MPGs with those driving conditions, even after your engine is fully broken in.

If you want to see what your car is capable of, go on a road trip consisting of mostly highway miles (hundreds of them), and set the cruise control at the posted speed limit. Don't run A/C if you can help it, and don't roll your windows down. Make sure your tire pressure is good. Fill up your tank and reset your odometer just before getting on the highway.

That should do it.
A/c was on in my pic :-) and i usually accelerate in 3rd until 65-70 then go to 5th when I'm getting on the highway.
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #1983
tomwi53092
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316315
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Mequon, WI
Vehicle:
2012 Imp HB/Prem/CVT
DCP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zauri View Post
Anyone else use cruise control all the time?

Basically I put it on when ever i'm on a stretch over a few miles. Better than trying to feather the throttle all the time. It seems to help with MPG even when covering not so long distances and simply using th trigger to accel/decel when need be.
Yes, I use it frequently and it makes a big difference. It does seem that cruise will get you better mileage than manual, by evening out the acceleration.

There are those that will argue that they can get better gas mileage by not trying to maintain speed going up a hill, as cruise control will do. I'm sure they are probably right. However, I find it hard to enjoy driving the car if I'm obsessed with maximizing mpg all the time.

If you want to get good mpg while just relaxing and enjoying the driving experience, cruise control is the way to go.

Of course, to use cruise control, you have to live in a place where it is usable: not driving in city traffic with a stop sign every block or two, and not driving congested freeway traffic.
tomwi53092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #1984
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwi53092 View Post
However, I find it hard to enjoy driving the car if I'm obsessed with maximizing mpg all the time.
Lol thats me. It does suck, but necessary to squeeze out every last mpg when commuting everyday.

The weekends are a different story. lol thats ME time.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #1985
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh88 View Post
The Impreza will impress you with it's MPG if you drive painfully slow and for me thats not the real world. If you drive normal and with 148 hp, I'm on the gas all the time. The strange thing is my 10 Outback wagon gets the same MPG as the Impreza driven the same way.
Well, the thing is everyone has a different normal way of driving. For me it is a game - how can I win at fuel economy? I don't necessarily play it all the time, but I'm reasonably good at it. That is how I'm averaging the highway rating of 38 (ok 37.7) mpg with our fiat. So, how is it that I can do pretty darn well with the Fiat, and so poorly with the impreza? I should be getting about 32 with the fiat if all else were equal, but obviously all else is not equal.

Regarding your comment about the Outback getting the same MPG as the impreza...doesn't that bother you?!
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #1986
ocellaris
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302559
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
Regarding your comment about the Outback getting the same MPG as the impreza...doesn't that bother you?!
Some people are just like "Meh" about the whole thing. Or they are happy just to be getting better MPG than their previous car. And that is fine for them. Personally it drives me crazy that much larger, heavier, less aerodynamic cars with bigger engines are in the same MPG range as the Impreza for real world driving. My Impreza feels like it is walking on eggshells when trying to get good MPG. It needs warm weather, flat ground, no hills, all long drives, and I can't have the AC on much. Then I can throw down some impressive MPG for short runs.

I bought an Impreza sedan to save money on gas for long trips. Now my brain is thinking "I should have just purchased a Legacy since the MPG would have been about the same."

Last edited by ocellaris; 09-28-2012 at 04:16 PM.
ocellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #1987
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris

Some people are just like "Meh" about the whole thing. Or they are happy just to be getting better MPG than their previous car. And that is fine for them. Personally it drives me crazy that much larger, heavier, less aerodynamic cars with bigger engines are in the same MPG range as the Impreza for real world driving. My Impreza feels like it is walking on eggshells when trying to get good MPG. It needs warm weather, flat ground, no hills, all long drives, and I can't have the AC on much. Then I can throw down some impressive MPG for short runs.

I bought an Impreza sedan to save money on gas for long trips. Now my brain is thinking "I should have just purchased a Legacy since the MPG would have been about the same."
I feel the same way as you only I would've gotten the '11 Impreza with the bigger engine instead of waiting for the '12. But if I let it drive me nuts or infuriate me, this would be a very long 10 yrs for me. I plan on driving this car into the ground & I just gotta let it go because there's nothing that can be done about it. I've just accepted it for what it is.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #1988
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky

I feel the same way as you only I would've gotten the '11 Impreza with the bigger engine instead of waiting for the '12. But if I let it drive me nuts or infuriate me, this would be a very long 10 yrs for me. I plan on driving this car into the ground & I just gotta let it go because there's nothing that can be done about it. I've just accepted it for what it is.
I feel the similar,but only about a forester instead.
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #1989
ST Eye
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73068
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2008 STI Boost Wagon
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky View Post
I feel the same way as you only I would've gotten the '11 Impreza with the bigger engine instead of waiting for the '12. But if I let it drive me nuts or infuriate me, this would be a very long 10 yrs for me. I plan on driving this car into the ground & I just gotta let it go because there's nothing that can be done about it. I've just accepted it for what it is.
Yep... I hear ya. I just wish I didn't have to try so hard to get better MPGs. Not all cars are as difficult as Subaru.
ST Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #1990
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Albany NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
Green/Silver

Default

If you got the identical MPG's from a new Forester or Outback, that you are getting from your new Impreza (which I don't think you would, the new ones are now also PZEV), it would cost you more to buy it, so any fuel savings would be offset by the higher cost to buy it (as well as the cost for larger tires, etc).

Last edited by Zeeper; 09-29-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Zeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #1991
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper
If you got the identical MPG's from a new Forester or Outback, that you are getting from your new Impreza (which I don't think you would, the new ones are now also PZEV), it would cost you more to buy it, so any fuel savings would be offset by the higher cost to buy it (as well as the cost for larger tires).
Looks like i would be averaging probably 4mpg less with a forester compared to my car. I certainly don't think it would be the same, but i would have more cargo space
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #1992
dannymorlando
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324842
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Kennesaw, Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza S Prem
marine blue

Default

At 3000 miles my Sport Limited CVT PSEV has averaged 26mpg with the lowest at 20mpg and the highest at 34 mpg. I tried non-ethanol, but there was little difference and the math doesn't work. Running from Nashville to Atlanta yesterday on E10 at 75mph yielded nearly 32mpg. So not bad.
dannymorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #1993
dannymorlando
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 324842
Join Date: Jul 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Kennesaw, Ga
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza S Prem
marine blue

Default

Also note that cars are tested at EPA's lab in Michigan on fuel you cannot buy. It is a high carbon high - btu fuel used for consistent testing. The cars are driven on a dyno in grandma mode, so the mpg on the sticker is a theoretical best case. Because of this you are unlikely to attain these numbers in real driving conditions. And really, the point is to have fun with the car.
dannymorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #1994
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

just got 38.x with some highway/back road driving without being a super granny.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #1995
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymorlando View Post
Also note that cars are tested at EPA's lab in Michigan on fuel you cannot buy. It is a high carbon high - btu fuel used for consistent testing. The cars are driven on a dyno in grandma mode, so the mpg on the sticker is a theoretical best case. Because of this you are unlikely to attain these numbers in real driving conditions. And really, the point is to have fun with the car.
but then why do some others get better than epa numbers with their old FWD vehicles?
flyboy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #1996
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

drove 160 miles today and average about 35 mpg. doing 57-60 mph with the yakima load warrior.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #1997
pgh88
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316756
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymorlando View Post
At 3000 miles my Sport Limited CVT PSEV has averaged 26mpg with the lowest at 20mpg and the highest at 34 mpg. I tried non-ethanol, but there was little difference and the math doesn't work. Running from Nashville to Atlanta yesterday on E10 at 75mph yielded nearly 32mpg. So not bad.
It's not bad until you look at a 13 Accord with a 278hp six rated at 34 highway.
pgh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #1998
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh88 View Post
It's not bad until you look at a 13 Accord with a 278hp six rated at 34 highway.
apples and organes.
ans2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #1999
BigFatHorse
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328167
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Utah
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza MT PZEV
Silver

Default

Latest fill in my 2012 5-speed got 34 mpg as calculated at the pump. Mostly highway driving but a fair amount of city as well. The trip computer reported an mpg or two higher.

It's not the same mileage as I was getting in my old 5-speed civic (high 40s!) but it's not bad for a larger, safer, AWD car with a larger engine than my old civic.

Fuelly page for details: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/bigfathorse/impreza

Last edited by BigFatHorse; 09-29-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Adding URL
BigFatHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #2000
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Why is everyone so stuck on the estimate on the sticker? They are just that; ESTIMATES!! As indicated by the big bold letters above the ratings. Not only that, but just below the numbers everyone is so stuck on is an "expected range for most drivers" which states 29-43....those numbers seem like a good representation of what everyone is getting, so then, what's the big deal? You are expecting to get EXACTLY the estimated mpg instead of somewhere in the range they say to expect? Get over it, be realistic, or get a new car!

http://www.cars101.com/impreza12-windowsticker1.JPG
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Impreza owner, low mpg? stuffedcabbage Newbies & FAQs 34 09-25-2012 10:10 PM
2012 Impreza Reviewed - Whytecliff to Seymour brendan_mac Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 16 12-23-2011 01:12 PM
NJ Impreza owners - sighting Dan G General Forum Archive 76 10-06-2000 12:24 AM
Md or Va Impreza owners - I have an Impreza related question. Snoopy General Forum Archive 1 06-05-2000 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.