Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #2201
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Got this tonight on my way home. Forgot to check total mileage in this tank so far, but it should be around 60 miles. First 10 miles on this tank were all in town 30ish mph, los of stop lights. Remainder is 61mph driving home, no wind, a few small towns with speed reductions. Even accounting for the 3% higher on the readout pretty darn good mileage for my 5sp.



And what i was getting while driving, was fluctuating between 40-43 on the readout.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by flyboy1100; 10-16-2012 at 10:33 PM.
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #2202
53x12
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206332
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In a tent
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkL View Post
Sorry this is kind of off topic but since when are Mazdas reliable?
My '02 has been super reliable. No issues with it at all. Only money I have put into it is oil, tires and gas. Literally. 10 years old and has 142,000 miles on it. Besides Subaru, Mazda is the only other manufacturer that I look at when considering a new car. They are great. Each car has passion designed and built into it.
53x12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #2203
BrDb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333203
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Premium
MBP 5 SPD

Default

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, didn't want to read through 89 pages regarding fuel economy, but has anyone noticed that the difference between real MPG and what the dash indicator reads is drastically different? (I did see a post about someone saying there is a 3% difference). For example, on my last fill up, the dash read I averaged 29.4 MPG, but when I calculated it myself it was actually 26.7 MPG. I noticed this on the fill up before, however, it did not seem quite as drastic. I have been filling up at the same station so I don't think it's a matter of one pump cutting off earlier/later than another pump.
BrDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #2204
ScoobyCO
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 236205
Join Date: Jan 2010
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2013 ImprezaSport5MT
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Yeah, found the same. Look at the posts 2 & 3 above yours.

The dealer can adjust this for you up or down 10% with their Subaru Select Monitor III. Just tell them exactly how much it's reading high.
ScoobyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #2205
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
Got this tonight on my way home. Forgot to check total mileage in this tank so far, but it should be around 60 miles. First 10 miles on this tank were all in town 30ish mph, los of stop lights. Remainder is 61mph driving home, no wind, a few small towns with speed reductions. Even accounting for the 3% higher on the readout pretty darn good mileage for my 5sp.
Yeah, I found I could get great numbers immediately after a fill-up, especially if the engine was already warm when I filled up. But I was never able to maintain those numbers for an entire tank. All it takes is a few stop-and-go errands to bring the number down.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #2206
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrDb
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, didn't want to read through 89 pages regarding fuel economy, but has anyone noticed that the difference between real MPG and what the dash indicator reads is drastically different? (I did see a post about someone saying there is a 3% difference). For example, on my last fill up, the dash read I averaged 29.4 MPG, but when I calculated it myself it was actually 26.7 MPG. I noticed this on the fill up before, however, it did not seem quite as drastic. I have been filling up at the same station so I don't think it's a matter of one pump cutting off earlier/later than another pump.
Lots of times. Do you know your odometer error? Most seem to be 2.7-3.5%.

When i have my block heater installed next month i am going to have them turn mine down 3% which should make it dead on
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #2207
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01

Yeah, I found I could get great numbers immediately after a fill-up, especially if the engine was already warm when I filled up. But I was never able to maintain those numbers for an entire tank. All it takes is a few stop-and-go errands to bring the number down.
Wasn't warm, but it was warm out so re-warm up didn't take long. I usually see close to 40mpg@60mph i just can't bring myself to drive that slow, and my normal commute i drive at 75
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #2208
BrDb
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333203
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Southern California
Vehicle:
2012 Sport Premium
MBP 5 SPD

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyCO View Post
Yeah, found the same. Look at the posts 2 & 3 above yours.

The dealer can adjust this for you up or down 10% with their Subaru Select Monitor III. Just tell them exactly how much it's reading high.
Cool thanks for letting me know. I'll start keeping track of the exact numbers.
BrDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #2209
chicagocpo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315470
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza LTD
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrDb View Post
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, didn't want to read through 89 pages regarding fuel economy, but has anyone noticed that the difference between real MPG and what the dash indicator reads is drastically different? (I did see a post about someone saying there is a 3% difference). For example, on my last fill up, the dash read I averaged 29.4 MPG, but when I calculated it myself it was actually 26.7 MPG. I noticed this on the fill up before, however, it did not seem quite as drastic. I have been filling up at the same station so I don't think it's a matter of one pump cutting off earlier/later than another pump.
I've tracked every tank since I bought my car. Until my 1st oil change I usually calculated over 2 mpg lower mileage from the readout, about 5.6%. Then I saw something here questioning odometer accuracy so checked it over several measured distances. Quite a surprise - result is, I times my miles driven by 1.05 before calculating mpg, and now my calculations are usually within .5 of the readout (but still lower).
chicagocpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #2210
nubsub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 313575
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i HB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocpo View Post
I've tracked every tank since I bought my car. Until my 1st oil change I usually calculated over 2 mpg lower mileage from the readout, about 5.6%. Then I saw something here questioning odometer accuracy so checked it over several measured distances. Quite a surprise - result is, I times my miles driven by 1.05 before calculating mpg, and now my calculations are usually within .5 of the readout (but still lower).
for me, enough checks puts my odometer error at 3.5%

Fuelly for lifetime of car (5900mi or so): 28.0mpg calculated with odometer numbers
Impreza computer reports: 29.7mpg

so correcting for 3.5% odometer error, "real mileage" is 29.0mpg

so, my computer is still a bit overoptimistic.
nubsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #2211
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocpo View Post
I've tracked every tank since I bought my car. Until my 1st oil change I usually calculated over 2 mpg lower mileage from the readout, about 5.6%. Then I saw something here questioning odometer accuracy so checked it over several measured distances. Quite a surprise - result is, I times my miles driven by 1.05 before calculating mpg, and now my calculations are usually within .5 of the readout (but still lower).
what distances were you using and how do you know you could trust them? I'm a little surprised that the odometer can be that for off. does this mean the speedometer is off as well?
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #2212
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocpo View Post
I've tracked every tank since I bought my car. Until my 1st oil change I usually calculated over 2 mpg lower mileage from the readout, about 5.6%. Then I saw something here questioning odometer accuracy so checked it over several measured distances. Quite a surprise - result is, I times my miles driven by 1.05 before calculating mpg, and now my calculations are usually within .5 of the readout (but still lower).
thats good news. that means our mpg-meter is actually more accurate then our calculations at the pump using the odometer miles.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #2213
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
does this mean the speedometer is off as well?
i found that my speedometer was pretty much spot on with the roadside radar speed indicators.
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #2214
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrt1987 View Post
i found that my speedometer was pretty much spot on with the roadside radar speed indicators.
well if the odometer needs to be increased by 5% I think the speedometer would also be off by 5%.

How fast were you going when you checked? Lower speeds (if it's a constant 5%) might be tough to tell.

I guess we need to know the source of the error in the odometer - is it an incorrect estimation of the tire size? some other weird error? is the error constant or does it change under different conditions?
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #2215
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
what distances were you using and how do you know you could trust them? I'm a little surprised that the odometer can be that for off. does this mean the speedometer is off as well?
It is normal for a speedometer to be off anywhere from 2-5% - the manufacturer sets the vehicle the same, even with slight differences between tire sizes within the same model (i.e. base 16 inch wheels vs the 17s on the sport and limited models). The mercedes we had had a set of amg 18 inch wheels on it, I ran the speedo against my handheld gps (most accurate way to track actual discrepancies) and it was just shy of 9% off!

The reason 2-5% is not uncommon is that depending on tire size and tread depth, a set of tires can change that much on their own over their useful lifetime.
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #2216
myrt1987
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 323103
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: toms river, nj
Vehicle:
2012 Limited 2.0i
Dreamy Gray Mistress

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
well if the odometer needs to be increased by 5% I think the speedometer would also be off by 5%.

How fast were you going when you checked? Lower speeds (if it's a constant 5%) might be tough to tell.

I guess we need to know the source of the error in the odometer - is it an incorrect estimation of the tire size? some other weird error? is the error constant or does it change under different conditions?
It would make sense that the speedometer is off by the same margin, but it seems accurate with gps as well. my last car (95 accord (dont worry, it was stock lol)) was off by about 5 mph on highways compared to gps!
myrt1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #2217
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45

well if the odometer needs to be increased by 5% I think the speedometer would also be off by 5%.

How fast were you going when you checked? Lower speeds (if it's a constant 5%) might be tough to tell.

I guess we need to know the source of the error in the odometer - is it an incorrect estimation of the tire size? some other weird error? is the error constant or does it change under different conditions?
No speedometer in these cars is dead on accurate, odometer is off though. How they managed that i have no idea
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #2218
53x12
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206332
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In a tent
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubsub View Post
for me, enough checks puts my odometer error at 3.5%

Fuelly for lifetime of car (5900mi or so): 28.0mpg calculated with odometer numbers
Impreza computer reports: 29.7mpg

so correcting for 3.5% odometer error, "real mileage" is 29.0mpg

so, my computer is still a bit overoptimistic.

Actually that is pretty damn good considering how different pumps have different cutoffs for when they stop pumping. So fairly decent if you ask me. I bet with more time/miles, the computer and hand calculated values will get closer to each other.
53x12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #2219
M45
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 333446
Join Date: Sep 2012
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza SL CVT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
No speedometer in these cars is dead on accurate, odometer is off though. How they managed that i have no idea
considering one is the derivative of the other - yeup!
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #2220
n00b on demand
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158355
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: White Plains NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Just got 280 miles on my tank. Mainly City driving with a tiny bit of highway. Took 11.8 gallons to fill up. 23.7 MPG actual....the digital meter indicated 25.8. Not impressed whatsoever. I got better mileage with my 06 impreza 2.5i 5MT.
n00b on demand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #2221
53x12
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 206332
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In a tent
Default

^ I bet you take a lot of short trips in town? My wife and I consistently average 27-28 mpg/tank for our city driving. This car doesn't do well for short drives where the engine doesn't get up to the efficient operating temperature.
53x12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #2222
vigil05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322861
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Spt Ltd
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
^ I bet you take a lot of short trips in town? My wife and I consistently average 27-28 mpg/tank for our city driving. This car doesn't do well for short drives where the engine doesn't get up to the efficient operating temperature.
^^
This..
I'm lazy and i can attest to the terrible mileage when taking short trips ~2 miles. I get about 20 MPG...
I should really ride my bike to work...
vigil05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #2223
n00b on demand
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158355
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: White Plains NY
Vehicle:
2012 Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53x12 View Post
^ I bet you take a lot of short trips in town? My wife and I consistently average 27-28 mpg/tank for our city driving. This car doesn't do well for short drives where the engine doesn't get up to the efficient operating temperature.
Yeah you can say that. My commute to work is literally only 5 miles one way. I do that at least 3 times a day....( coming home for lunch) and ect. This car is great for highway driving.
n00b on demand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #2224
hemophilic
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301213
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
2012 Imp. Sp. Ltd.
Blue/Silver

Default

This car is great for doing 45-60 mph on quiet two lane highways. Serious mpg drop off happens during stop-n-go and anything faster than 60.
My 7 mile oneway city commute and 70-75 mph highway jaunts are about the same mpg. I never get to drive in this cars sweet spot.
Lifetime Fuelly is about 27... Meh.
Lifetime Fuelly for a 2003 Civic was about 29 with the same drive.
hemophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #2225
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemophilic View Post
This car is great for doing 45-60 mph on quiet two lane highways. Serious mpg drop off happens during stop-n-go and anything faster than 60.
My 7 mile oneway city commute and 70-75 mph highway jaunts are about the same mpg. I never get to drive in this cars sweet spot.
Lifetime Fuelly is about 27... Meh.
Lifetime Fuelly for a 2003 Civic was about 29 with the same drive.
I find that I can get thirty-something MPGs on a highway driving 70 MPH, so I disagree with your "anything faster than 60" statement. However, this is only true if the highway trip is long enough for the car to reach and then stay at normal operating temperature for an extended time. Short trips are brutal on the MPGs.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Impreza owner, low mpg? stuffedcabbage Newbies & FAQs 34 09-25-2012 10:10 PM
2012 Impreza Reviewed - Whytecliff to Seymour brendan_mac Vancouver Impreza Club Forum -- VIC 16 12-23-2011 01:12 PM
NJ Impreza owners - sighting Dan G General Forum Archive 76 10-06-2000 12:24 AM
Md or Va Impreza owners - I have an Impreza related question. Snoopy General Forum Archive 1 06-05-2000 08:08 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.