Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday November 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #2951
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post
It saddens me that I have to explain double clutching, but I suppose it's a subaru impreza owners club. It doesn't require more than owning a car, so not knowing how to operate one for a damn is acceptable. Double clutching provides vastly smoother on/off acceleration and in general delivers the smoothest felt experience in a manual car. You can fake the funk with your clutch and wear it out like a 16 year old girl who doesn't know **** but any experienced drier will just think you're laughably cute. Even funnier is calling it ricer **** or fast and furious wannabe. It's a slow shifting technique... you really just made yourself look like a 16 year old girl behind the wheel. Double clutching primarily results in longer transmission life as you aren't making the synchros eat the differences constantly. What, you thought synchros just magically go bad over time? They go bad from use, and more specifically from abuse from second rate drivers who don't know how to shift properly just constantly jamming it into the desired gear instead of lining everything up properly. Ever cringe watching some one abuse the clutch? You're doing the same thing with your synchros and too uninformed to know it. You're also wearing the drivetrain in general when you've got sloppy shifting technique.
Dude get off your high horse!! I've never heard anybody say that before and I've been around cars for a LONG time!!! I've worked on cars, been around people who work on cars, both professionals and enthusiasts, and am also ASE certified. I've never known anybody before you to say they double clutch because "it'll make it last longer." You think and act like you're better than everyone else because you have a "theory" that makes the tranny last longer. I've driven many and even owned several vehicles with manual transmissions all of which had high miles when I got rid of them and I've NEVER replaced a clutch!! Same goes true for the motorcycles I've owned. So, that being said, stop being a douche! I did ask a the question in a friendly way, and even gave you the benefit of doubt by saying "maybe he does have a legitimate reason."

Oh one last thing, you say it's smoother to double clutch....I VERY seriously doubt that!! I've never had anybody who's ridden with me in a manual complain about it not being smooth. Maybe it's YOU who doesn't know how to drive one properly and that's why you think it's better/smoother to double clutch! Just saying...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #2952
GRoss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 370753
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 2.0i-L
Metallic Silver

Default

Well said ^^
GRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #2953
foghelmut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 328414
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Jersey
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza SP 5MT
obsidian pearl black

Default

I double clutch if I skip a gear when downshifting, like if I need to do 5-3 for some reason. I dunno.
foghelmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #2954
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghelmut View Post
I double clutch if I skip a gear when downshifting, like if I need to do 5-3 for some reason. I dunno.
This, also 4-2, or going from up 3-5
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #2955
ans2k
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 315631
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bryant, AR
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post
Dude get off your high horse!! I've never heard anybody say that before and I've been around cars for a LONG time!!! I've worked on cars, been around people who work on cars, both professionals and enthusiasts, and am also ASE certified. I've never known anybody before you to say they double clutch because "it'll make it last longer." You think and act like you're better than everyone else because you have a "theory" that makes the tranny last longer. I've driven many and even owned several vehicles with manual transmissions all of which had high miles when I got rid of them and I've NEVER replaced a clutch!! Same goes true for the motorcycles I've owned. So, that being said, stop being a douche! I did ask a the question in a friendly way, and even gave you the benefit of doubt by saying "maybe he does have a legitimate reason."

Oh one last thing, you say it's smoother to double clutch....I VERY seriously doubt that!! I've never had anybody who's ridden with me in a manual complain about it not being smooth. Maybe it's YOU who doesn't know how to drive one properly and that's why you think it's better/smoother to double clutch! Just saying...
Agreed!!!
ans2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #2956
Zeeper
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 299286
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2015 WRX CVT
White

Default

I don't double clutch, also have never replaced any transmission parts on my manual transmission cars (except I added a short shift kit to the impreza, but that is more for me than the car), that I have bought exclusively since replacing the automatic transmission on an older Honda accord, that cost more to replace than the car was really worth.

But I also don't drive my car like it is a racecar, maybe that is why everything stays in workable condition? If I keep the Impreza for 10 years, maybe I will be replacing the clutch...is 150,000-200,000 miles of wear acceptable on the original clutch?
Zeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #2957
shredjesse
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 369265
Join Date: Sep 2013
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 2.0L
Pearl White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteg View Post
Same goes true for the motorcycles I've owned.
For being an ASE certified mechanic, you should know better than to bring a motorcycle into the fold. Entirely different transmission constructions that don't shift anything alike. You couldn't double clutch a motorcycle if you wanted. You blip at most, and there is no comparison.

shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #2958
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
I don't double clutch, also have never replaced any transmission parts on my manual transmission cars (except I added a short shift kit to the impreza, but that is more for me than the car), that I have bought exclusively since replacing the automatic transmission on an older Honda accord, that cost more to replace than the car was really worth.

But I also don't drive my car like it is a racecar, maybe that is why everything stays in workable condition? If I keep the Impreza for 10 years, maybe I will be replacing the clutch...is 150,000-200,000 miles of wear acceptable on the original clutch?
Depends on your driving conditions, city vs hwy. My friend has a jetta with 240k on the original clutch
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #2959
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
This, also 4-2, or going from up 3-5
Interesting. I don't double-clutch when skipping cogs, and it works just fine.
sgoldste01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #2960
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

I always shift into 2nd before I hit reverse in a 5 speed. I've never had to double clutch anything except the twin disk, and that's only when racing when I need to shift it quicker. My father drag raced in the mid 60's, and before they had synchro mesh type transmissions. They used to fabricate a loop over clutch pedal to slide foot in to be able to double clutch quicker. I laughed because my older brother bought a new mustang gt when he was 16, and my dad hadn't driven a stick since he raced. He took us for a ride and besides scaring me to death (I was 11 then), he drove it like his old Chevelle and squeezed every ounce it had. He double clutched, blipped throttle with each gear change and that little pony was all over the road. I thought it was the fastest car in the world at that point. Then dad parked it and said it ran ok, but wasn't that fast. My brother and I were pail as a ghost as we hadn't seen anyone drive like that, and certainly didn't know dad could. He had a new corvette then, but it was an auto and he babied it when we were with him. It was cool though, as you never knew it was shifting cause he only barely let off throttle for a split second during the gear change. But the RPM'S would go up the second before he shifted. It was quick, and impressive for an 11 y/o, but he taught me how to drive. That was back when an 11 second car was fast. Now you can almost buy them from the factory.
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #2961
flyboy1100
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 314216
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post

Interesting. I don't double-clutch when skipping cogs, and it works just fine.
It isn't that it doesn't work fine, it is just a skill I like to practice. I find it easier to make those shifts smoother if I double clutch
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #2962
shredjesse
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 369265
Join Date: Sep 2013
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 2.0L
Pearl White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
It isn't that it doesn't work fine, it is just a skill I like to practice. I find it easier to make those shifts smoother if I double clutch
It "works fine" in the sense you get away with it, but long run you're wearing everything out as your synchros are eating the difference.
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #2963
shredjesse
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 369265
Join Date: Sep 2013
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 2.0L
Pearl White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Spfld View Post
I've never had to double clutch anything except the twin disk, and that's only when racing when I need to shift it quicker.
Please elaborate on how double clutching allows you to "Shift quicker".
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #2964
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post
Please elaborate on how double clutching allows you to "Shift quicker".
m

If you do not know, then you've obviously never driven a high hp car with twin disk clutches. Unless maybe the cheap knock off twin disk I've seen people use just because they want others to hear the rattle of it.
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #2965
Iron Bender
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 368428
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Snohomish, WA
Vehicle:
2013 Sport LTD CVT
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post
It "works fine" in the sense you get away with it, but long run you're wearing everything out as your synchros are eating the difference.
I have a 30 year old Jeep with nearly 200,000 miles and a 16 year old Dodge Ram with well over 200,000 miles. Both still have the original synchronizers in their transmissions. I haven't double clutched anything since I last drove a military M813 over 20 years ago.

All you are doing by double clutching is causing unnecessary additional wear to the release bearing, clutch disc fingers, pilot bearing and mechanical or hydraulic clutch linkage which will cause them to fail earlier than they otherwise would.

You don't know what you are talking about.
Iron Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #2966
Iron Bender
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 368428
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Snohomish, WA
Vehicle:
2013 Sport LTD CVT
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Spfld View Post
If you do not know, then you've obviously never driven a high hp car with twin disk clutches. Unless maybe the cheap knock off twin disk I've seen people use just because they want others to hear the rattle of it.
I don't know what your application is, must be fairly specific. But dual and even triple disc clutches have become fairly popular in the diesel pickup world. Guys running 500-800 or more HP through them to motivate a 7,000+ pound truck. And I never hear of anyone claiming a need to double clutch them.
Iron Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #2967
shredjesse
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 369265
Join Date: Sep 2013
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza 2.0L
Pearl White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Spfld View Post
If you do not know, then you've obviously never driven a high hp car with twin disk clutches. Unless maybe the cheap knock off twin disk I've seen people use just because they want others to hear the rattle of it.
Such as my Corvette running leaded race gas?

No really, explain yourself. Double clutching on up shifts involves WAITING for the RPM's to drop. Explain to me how waiting is faster?
shredjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #2968
G2Spfld
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 354284
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Midwest
Vehicle:
2013 Imp Sport CVT
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post
Such as my Corvette running leaded race gas? No really, explain yourself. Double clutching on up shifts involves WAITING for the RPM's to drop. Explain to me how waiting is faster?
I'm sorry, the more you talk, the more you show that you don't know what you don't know. I have a modified diesel truck, certainly can't compare truck trans to a car trans. And unless you dumped about 80K into your corvette engine, I don't consider that in the category I'm speaking of. I'm a vette guy as well, again not what I'm talking about. Running leaded race gas? What octane are you tuned for? I think this conversation has gotten way off base, but I really don't want to wait around for all of my boost to bleed off. Your talking about double clutching as you see it, and your car, your life, your choice. Maybe its a fantastic idea that all of us owners that act like 16 y/o girls are too dumb to realize. However, there is another reason for it too. My trans and twin carbon solid center disk clutch will not allow me to quickly shift without double clutching. Just the nature of the setup. Maybe it's that coupled with the 32-38 psi boost its running with the current tune.
G2Spfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #2969
Iron Bender
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 368428
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Snohomish, WA
Vehicle:
2013 Sport LTD CVT
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post
No really, explain yourself. Double clutching on up shifts involves WAITING for the RPM's to drop. Explain to me how waiting is faster?
Wrong. When a piece of equipment actually NEEDS to be double clutched you goose the throttle a little on the first clutch release to match the transmission input shaft rpms to the transmission mainshaft rpms of the ratio of the next higher gear. Then on the second clutch release you drop the shifter into that next higher gear as that sweet spot occurs.

What is the point of even having synchronizers if you're not going to let them do their job? It's like suffering in the heat instead of turning on the A/C for fear of wearing out the compressor some day.
Iron Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #2970
averagewhiteboy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 345877
Join Date: Feb 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Ice Silver

Default

Sooooo..

About the original thread topic of aftermarket parts anyone?
averagewhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #2971
TRSAndrew
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360634
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
2013 XV Crosstrek
Orange

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy View Post
Sooooo..

About the original thread topic of aftermarket parts anyone?
Seriously. This thread just went down the ****ter.

I've got my mud graphics going on in the morning, and my steering wheel being finished up soon.
TRSAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #2972
jsteg
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 329271
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lady's Island, SC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeper View Post
I don't double clutch, also have never replaced any transmission parts on my manual transmission cars (except I added a short shift kit to the impreza, but that is more for me than the car), that I have bought exclusively since replacing the automatic transmission on an older Honda accord, that cost more to replace than the car was really worth. But I also don't drive my car like it is a racecar, maybe that is why everything stays in workable condition? If I keep the Impreza for 10 years, maybe I will be replacing the clutch...is 150,000-200,000 miles of wear acceptable on the original clutch?
Exactly my point!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post
For being an ASE certified mechanic, you should know better than to bring a motorcycle into the fold. Entirely different transmission constructions that don't shift anything alike. You couldn't double clutch a motorcycle if you wanted. You blip at most, and there is no comparison.
I wasn't comparing them or even saying they were the same setup, I was just saying and showing the experience I have around different types of transmissions in general.



Quote:
Originally Posted by shredjesse View Post
It "works fine" in the sense you get away with it, but long run you're wearing everything out as your synchros are eating the difference.
Get away with what?!?! Wearing everything out I the long run?? Isn't that going to happen anyway unless you park your car and not ever drive it?? Driving like a normal human being? Show me ONE, JUST ONE owner's manual that recommends double clutching! Your argument of why you do it is seriously ridiculous. I mean really, is 148 hp really going to have the effect you're talking about without your awesome "discovery" of double clutching? I think by now, manufacturers have pretty well figured out how to make things reliable and have a long service life.

I'm not saying that you are wrong for doing what you're doing, by all means, it is your car, and you can do what you want. I guarantee you however that given the same vehicle, without any defects, my transmission would last just as long or longer than yours.

I agree with the guys who brought up about not using your ac because it may burn up down the road. With your argument of why you double clutch, I could use that for almost anything! Do you shut your engine off when coasting to a stop and restart it when the light turns green? All that idle time will cause more bearing wear ya know! I bet you don't use your turn signals either, or when you do it's probably only 1-2 blinks because the bulbs will last longer, right?

Again I say, come on dude, get off your high horse! Stop acting like you're better than everyone just because nobody agrees with your opinion.
jsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #2973
TRSAndrew
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360634
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ATL
Vehicle:
2013 XV Crosstrek
Orange

Default

Back on topic. Take it to PMs, ladies.

TRSAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #2974
goregasm
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 331656
Join Date: Sep 2012
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

^ looks retarded
goregasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #2975
Eminaga
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 370430
Join Date: Oct 2013
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Waterloo, IA
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Perl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
^ looks retarded
Lol... I think it looks ok if you are into that kind of a thing. I personaly would never do it.
Eminaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
factory SS or aftermarket for 2012??? Myth21 Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 8 01-07-2012 12:18 PM
Anybody in SCIC-land taken possession of 2012 Impreza 2.0i yet? somebody else Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 1 12-30-2011 12:31 AM
Has anyone test drive a 2012 Impreza yet? pRiMe DiReCtIvE General Community 25 11-28-2011 11:03 PM
Hybrid Impreza in the works for 2012? rsholland News & Rumors 43 03-12-2010 11:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.