Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #576
pRiMe DiReCtIvE
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301387
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Bay - Cali
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza HB
Black/Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbug View Post
I have one on it's way. Will let you know in a week.
Let me know. If the '08 fits, then an '09 will fit for sure
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
pRiMe DiReCtIvE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #577
FlyerHazen
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 320610
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: South Florida
Vehicle:
2012 2.0L
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pRiMe DiReCtIvE View Post
ST Eye,

Can you tell me whether the rear sway bar on you Sti fits your 2012 Impreza? They say the '11 Sti bar fits the 2012 Imp.
I had this conversation earlier on in this thread. The 08+ STI rear sway definitely fits the '12 Impreza.
FlyerHazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #578
pRiMe DiReCtIvE
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301387
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Bay - Cali
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza HB
Black/Dark Grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerHazen View Post
I had this conversation earlier on in this thread. The 08+ STI rear sway definitely fits the '12 Impreza.
That's good to hear. Now the search begins. Would void any kind of warranty? Also, changing the sway bars....will it effect driving in the rain or snow?
pRiMe DiReCtIvE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #579
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

I would expect a bigger rear sway bar to increase oversteer in the snow, but perhaps on an AWD vehicle this is less of an issue than on a front wheel drive car. This Impreza is my first AWD car, so I don't know how it will behave in the snow (I expect it to be excellent, of course).

sgoldste01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #580
italia490
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308742
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
I would expect a bigger rear sway bar to increase oversteer in the snow, but perhaps on an AWD vehicle this is less of an issue than on a front wheel drive car. This Impreza is my first AWD car, so I don't know how it will behave in the snow (I expect it to be excellent, of course).

I can confirm the handling in the snow. I was up in Big Bear, CA this year during the last storm of the season. In about a 12 hour period there was probably over a 1.5 ft of snow. I bought chains because I new it was going to snow but never had to put them on. I ended up returning them to the store that I bought them from. I purposefully tried to get the car stuck but it never happened. Traction was amazing both with the traction control on and off. There were other non-Subaru "AWD" cars that were having difficulty maintaining traction. I have some pictures that I'll post in my build thread.
italia490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #581
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia490 View Post
I can confirm the handling in the snow. I was up in Big Bear, CA this year during the last storm of the season. In about a 12 hour period there was probably over a 1.5 ft of snow. I bought chains because I new it was going to snow but never had to put them on. I ended up returning them to the store that I bought them from. I purposefully tried to get the car stuck but it never happened. Traction was amazing both with the traction control on and off. There were other non-Subaru "AWD" cars that were having difficulty maintaining traction. I have some pictures that I'll post in my build thread.
Glad to hear this. Was this traction with the stock Yoko tires? If so, then "wow", because those tires look like they would be sketchy in the snow, with a tread pattern that looks more performance-oriented than all-weather oriented.
sgoldste01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #582
italia490
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 308742
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sport
Marine Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Glad to hear this. Was this traction with the stock Yoko tires? If so, then "wow", because those tires look like they would be sketchy in the snow, with a tread pattern that looks more performance-oriented than all-weather oriented.
Yup....stock tires. I knew Subaru's were good in the snow but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and the car exceeded my expectations. I expected some slipping and sliding especially the day after the heavy snow....roads were pretty icy but that never happened. The day we left it was snowing and I had an Audi A4 Quattro in front of me that could not make a turn and slid into the guard rail.
italia490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #583
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia490 View Post
Yup....stock tires. I knew Subaru's were good in the snow but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and the car exceeded my expectations. I expected some slipping and sliding especially the day after the heavy snow....roads were pretty icy but that never happened. The day we left it was snowing and I had an Audi A4 Quattro in front of me that could not make a turn and slid into the guard rail.
Interesting. Anyway, I already bought a slightly used set of 16" Blizzaks (5k miles on them) on old WRX wheels that I'll be running in the winter. If the car does as well as you say on the stock tires, then it should be able to climb walls with the Blizzaks.

Even if the extra traction isn't necessary, if nothing else this setup will protect my OE gunmetal wheels in the winter time.
sgoldste01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #584
WStrembitsky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323877
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
DGM

Default

So my new car should be better in the snow than the Smart I traded in for it? The last snow fall of the year in Edmonton was about 8" of heavy wet snow, I almost made it out of my parking stall before I got stuck. My neighbour pushed me back into my stall and I e-mailed my boss to let her know I was taking a snow day. That was the day I decided to buy something that would be better in the winter.
WStrembitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #585
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

I would expect the Impreza to be better than the Smart in just about every measurable and subjective way.
sgoldste01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #586
SleepNMnky
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 302491
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Buffalo, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i Pr
Dark Grey Metallic CVT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01
I would expect the Impreza to be better than the Smart in just about every measurable and subjective way.
I'm right there with you, but they do get better MPGs. Aside from that, I can't help but laugh when I see one. Sorry WS.
SleepNMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #587
WStrembitsky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323877
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
DGM

Default

You'd be surprised how easy parallel parking is in a car where you can touch the back window from the driver's seat.

Although, with the back-up camera the Impreza is pretty easy to parallel park as well. It just needs a bigger space.
WStrembitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #588
sgoldste01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 322264
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Webster, NY
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sp 5sp
Obs Blk Prl/Drk Gray Mtl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepNMnky View Post
I'm right there with you, but they do get better MPGs. Aside from that, I can't help but laugh when I see one. Sorry WS.
I read a recent review of the Smart that said one if its greatest virtues is that it gives the owner lots of motivation to take up biking.
sgoldste01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #589
WStrembitsky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323877
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
DGM

Default

The fuel economy isn't really anything to brag about either. The Impreza uses about 25% more gas than the Smart and the Smart uses premium instead of regular. Overall what I spend on gas has only gone up by a very small amount.

The diesel's are much better but since Smart moved into the US you can only get the gas version in either Canada or the US.
WStrembitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #590
saabarupp
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 189032
Join Date: Sep 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
2015 STI CWP
'12 Impreza Sport Ltd DGM

Default

As long as the snow isn't like 2 ft deep, any subaru + snow tires = snowmobile. Especially an Sti
saabarupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #591
WStrembitsky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323877
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
DGM

Default

Only 3 or 4 more months until snow. I am looking forward to putting the winter tires on and seeing how the Impreza performs this winter.
WStrembitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #592
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

It's not very exciting with VDC on, trust me.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #593
WStrembitsky
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 323877
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Limited
DGM

Default

I'm not looking for exciting, I just want to casually drive past all the people who are stuck and spinning their tires.
WStrembitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #594
Haunty
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 319378
Join Date: May 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: West Central MN
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport Ltd.
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WStrembitsky View Post
Only 3 or 4 more months until snow. I am looking forward to putting the winter tires on and seeing how the Impreza performs this winter.
I was thinking about keeping the yokos on for winter, but I might get snow tires too, can't have too much traction. And I'll probably get mud flaps too.
Haunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #595
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WStrembitsky View Post
I'm not looking for exciting, I just want to casually drive past all the people who are stuck and spinning their tires.
Oh. Well then it's perfect for casual.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #596
12ImprezaSL
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 322198
Join Date: Jun 2012
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza SL
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pRiMe DiReCtIvE View Post
That's good to hear. Now the search begins. Would void any kind of warranty? Also, changing the sway bars....will it effect driving in the rain or snow?
All 08+ will fit no problem. It's a stock Subaru part so it shouldn't void the warranty. Car will have less understeer and will feel a lot more planted so it'll be good when its raining/snowing.

The 08-10 STI has a 18mm RSB
The 11-12 STI has a 19mm RSB
The 08-12 WRX has a 16mm RSB
The 2012 Imp other than the base has a 15mm RSB
Base 2012 has none

Last edited by 12ImprezaSL; 07-26-2012 at 06:12 PM.
12ImprezaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #597
uspopo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 317014
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY/CA
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Limited CVT
ISM

Default

Thanks for the RSB info...I think I will be getting the STI 19mm unit.
uspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #598
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uspopo View Post
Thanks for the RSB info...I think I will be getting the STI 19mm unit.
Awwww yeah! Go big or go home!
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #599
pRiMe DiReCtIvE
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301387
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Bay - Cali
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza HB
Black/Dark Grey

Default

Is 1mm gonna make a difference? I found a RSB off an '09 STi.
pRiMe DiReCtIvE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #600
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage (...for now...)
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Ltd 6MT CBS
SNOSLO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pRiMe DiReCtIvE View Post
Is 1mm gonna make a difference? I found a RSB off an '09 STi.
A performance enthusiast would tell you yes. The question really is "how dramatic of a difference will I see?" I've never upgraded to a thicker RSB, but have been told that when you jump up in size drastically that most people aren't at all prepared for how the car handles given the new dynamic. In my mind 1mm thicker would be a technical improvement, but you might be left wanting more since we tend to desire more noticeable feedback from our purchases and just assume that if something is "too much" that we'll adjust to it after a while.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
factory SS or aftermarket for 2012??? Myth21 Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 8 01-07-2012 12:18 PM
Anybody in SCIC-land taken possession of 2012 Impreza 2.0i yet? somebody else Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 1 12-30-2011 12:31 AM
Has anyone test drive a 2012 Impreza yet? pRiMe DiReCtIvE General Community 25 11-28-2011 11:03 PM
Hybrid Impreza in the works for 2012? rsholland News & Rumors 43 03-12-2010 11:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.