Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Benchmark
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 295582
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA Mid-Atlantic
Default 2012 Impreza 2.0i Gas Mileage Thread

As requested by a new member, this thread is for discussion of real-world gas mileage of the 2012 Impreza 2.0i.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
imprzya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12181
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Vehicle:
2004 STi WRBro
15 Forester Touring

Default

In addition, I think it would be useful to list your model and transmission and any other things you have done that could potentially affect mileage.
imprzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
imprzya
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 12181
Join Date: Nov 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Vehicle:
2004 STi WRBro
15 Forester Touring

Default

Sport with CVT currently 800 miles, last tank gauge read 27, actual calculated was 25.8 mpg, this is city, hwy and interstate driving, plus a 70 mile round trip on 55mph roads.
imprzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
trick3d
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202146
Join Date: Feb 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: My Island
Vehicle:
2010 evoru
GG

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprzya
In addition, I think it would be useful to list your model and transmission and any other things you have done that could potentially affect mileage.
Tires, wheels, alignment,
trick3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
HighDesert
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 301198
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: FL
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 5-dr
DGM

Default

Base hatchback 5-spd (no roof rails). Currently has around 1,300 miles, mostly interstate with some city driving. Current average is fluctuating between 31.8 and 32.4, according to the dash (I haven't calculated "actual" mpg). Previous tanks have all averaged around 29-31, with mpg generally increasing with each tank. I've seen it average as high as 37 and as low as 27, but by the end of the tank it always ends up somewhere in the middle of that range. Also, I live in Florida, so I haven't had to deal with low temps, snow, etc.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
rryyddeerr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305686
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default

my suspicion is that those that are getting bad numbers are not really driving that conservatively.

i have a flat commute of about 32 miles in a honda element and i consistently get 24mpg, which is pretty good for that car. needless to say, 10000 people fly by me on I80 every morning on my way to work, but i drive, relatively, stress free and i never get speeding tickets.
rryyddeerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Agree with you on that for sure Ryder. Speaking of Elements, I traded ours in for the Impreza. Had +1 size tires that gave it an instant 10% hit on MPG overall, winter time at best it was getting 20mpg.

Keep in mind that was definitely with trying to baby it...and I'm no stranger to getting good MPG, could get 41-42mpg from my old toyota yaris without breaking a sweat, that was overall normal driving, 20% better average than the epa highway rating.

My element was a 2003, but 2006 (I think) or newer had a 5 spd auto that did overall better mpg, what year was/is your element?
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
rryyddeerr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305686
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default

04. my wife's is an 08. sooo much nicer. decided, as cute as it is for newlyweds to have the same car, we didn't need two of them. I'm in NW jersey, so 4wd is a must. this seemed like the obvious choice.
rryyddeerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
debbadoo1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305301
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rryyddeerr View Post
my suspicion is that those that are getting bad numbers are not really driving that conservatively.

i have a flat commute of about 32 miles in a honda element and i consistently get 24mpg, which is pretty good for that car. needless to say, 10000 people fly by me on I80 every morning on my way to work, but i drive, relatively, stress free and i never get speeding tickets.
2007 Element owner here! Originally was averaging 23 mpg the first few years until I upgraded the tires, then my mpg dropped to 21. Now, in heavy suburban commuter traffic in the winter, I'm getting only about 19 mpg. I am considering selling to buy a new Impreza, but was really hoping for better than an avg 24/25 mpg in commuter traffic, which sounds like all I'll be getting. The only highway driving my Element sees is on the weekend (a little) and on road trips so the Subaru would be about the same. Commuter traffic definitely has a detrimental affect on mileage.
debbadoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbadoo1 View Post
2007 Element owner here! Originally was averaging 23 mpg the first few years until I upgraded the tires, then my mpg dropped to 21. Now, in heavy suburban commuter traffic in the winter, I'm getting only about 19 mpg. I am considering selling to buy a new Impreza, but was really hoping for better than an avg 24/25 mpg in commuter traffic, which sounds like all I'll be getting. The only highway driving my Element sees is on the weekend (a little) and on road trips so the Subaru would be about the same. Commuter traffic definitely has a detrimental affect on mileage.
FWIW I was averaging 18-20mpg in my element no matter how I drove it or the conditions (city/hwy); The gauge is currently showing an average just over 29mpg (first 100 miles of 2nd tank) including windy weather last night and today over about 40 miles that definitely detracted from the mpg.
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
vant
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 293742
Join Date: Sep 2011
Default

CVT Sedan just over 1,000 miles. Didn't change anything (OEM tires.), no roof rack, no front license plate.

Driving it very lightly to try and maximize MPG, but still getting around 24-25MPG per fill up. Roadtrip to Portland from Seattle was a dissapointing 25MPG, but that was when the car had only a 100 miles on the odo.

Currently I get better MPG with similar driving on my 08' A4 2.0T (24-28 MPG). I've even had 30+ MPG on a roadtrip to Portland from Seattle.

I am honestly expecting 36-38 MPG on roadtrips with this car with my experiences with previous cars (always able to get above EPA highway on long road trips).

Right now, I'm thinking Subaru gave the EPA a rigged tester. There is no way that break-in process would hammer 10 MPGs off your engine.
vant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
sir_wagon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 71549
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vant View Post
CVT Sedan just over 1,000 miles. Didn't change anything (OEM tires.), no roof rack, no front license plate.

Driving it very lightly to try and maximize MPG, but still getting around 24-25MPG per fill up. Roadtrip to Portland from Seattle was a dissapointing 25MPG, but that was when the car had only a 100 miles on the odo.

Currently I get better MPG with similar driving on my 08' A4 2.0T (24-28 MPG). I've even had 30+ MPG on a roadtrip to Portland from Seattle.

I am honestly expecting 36-38 MPG on roadtrips with this car with my experiences with previous cars (always able to get above EPA highway on long road trips).

Right now, I'm thinking Subaru gave the EPA a rigged tester. There is no way that break-in process would hammer 10 MPGs off your engine.
Have you checked the tire pressures?
sir_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
wrxdrvr
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 79222
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada BC
Vehicle:
'09 STi 297.5 WHP
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vant View Post
CVT Sedan just over 1,000 miles. Didn't change anything (OEM tires.), no roof rack, no front license plate.

Driving it very lightly to try and maximize MPG, but still getting around 24-25MPG per fill up. Roadtrip to Portland from Seattle was a dissapointing 25MPG, but that was when the car had only a 100 miles on the odo.

Currently I get better MPG with similar driving on my 08' A4 2.0T (24-28 MPG). I've even had 30+ MPG on a roadtrip to Portland from Seattle.

I am honestly expecting 36-38 MPG on roadtrips with this car with my experiences with previous cars (always able to get above EPA highway on long road trips).

Right now, I'm thinking Subaru gave the EPA a rigged tester. There is no way that break-in process would hammer 10 MPGs off your engine.
You bought the wrong car for that...
wrxdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
subiTWO
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 273054
Join Date: Feb 2011
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT HB

Default

I commute 40 miles, 15 suburban, the rest two-lane 55 mph. My best *summer* A4 2.0 turbo w/tiptronic auto trans was 28 US mpg. That was keeping top speed less than 60. I'm getting 30 in winter with 1,000 miles on my sport limited with roof rack, 1/2" higher body, and CVT, and soft/sticky Blizzaks. And I'm going 75 mph for 5 miles.

Everyone should check out www.fuelly.com. Compare the 2012 Focuses to your Imp.
subiTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #15
impreyza
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305667
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SW MI
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza
2.0i Premium DGM

Default

does anyone from warmer states have mileage info to post? thanks
impreyza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
debbadoo1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 305301
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreyza View Post
does anyone from warmer states have mileage info to post? thanks
There is a new owner (furiousd1983) from Charlotte, NC over on the News & Rumors board that says he is pretty happy with his mileage. Maybe he'll keep us updated here. I, too, am from Charlotte NC but I suffer from the winter gas mileage lag in my Element even in our fairly mild climate. I tend to drop about 10%+ in the winter.
debbadoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
gathermewool
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 143624
Join Date: Mar 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
14 FXT Touring
VRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vant View Post
CVT Sedan just over 1,000 miles. Didn't change anything (OEM tires.), no roof rack, no front license plate.

Driving it very lightly to try and maximize MPG, but still getting around 24-25MPG per fill up. Roadtrip to Portland from Seattle was a dissapointing 25MPG, but that was when the car had only a 100 miles on the odo.

Currently I get better MPG with similar driving on my 08' A4 2.0T (24-28 MPG). I've even had 30+ MPG on a roadtrip to Portland from Seattle.

I am honestly expecting 36-38 MPG on roadtrips with this car with my experiences with previous cars (always able to get above EPA highway on long road trips).

Right now, I'm thinking Subaru gave the EPA a rigged tester. There is no way that break-in process would hammer 10 MPGs off your engine.
That's very disappointing. Every car IS different, and will react differently on the highway - some get better gas mileage at a higher rev, while others will see max MPG at the lowest speed in the highest gear. My old '97 Legacy GT wouldn't get more than 21 mpg with mixed driving, but I could easily eke out 26-30, all-highway, if I was trying. By trying, I mean doing no more than 60 on a relatively flat road like the NJT - I got well over 30 in the 11 y.o. girl more than once driving under these conditions.

With the CVT, lighter chassis, and smaller engine, I was really hoping to see most reports greater than 30 mpg.

Quick question for you guys with the CVT: do you routinely manually "shift" the CVT to engine brake to save mpg? I was given a loaner Legacy with the CVT and was able to slow down to < 10MPH (no one behind me to hold up) while approaching lights and stop signs using only the engine to brake. It seemed to help the mileage appreciably.

Last edited by gathermewool; 01-13-2012 at 10:32 AM.
gathermewool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #18
jeepnut_nh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 261162
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: southern New Hampshire, USA
Vehicle:
2000 Outback Sport
blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
Speaking of Elements, I traded ours in for the Impreza. Had +1 size tires that gave it an instant 10% hit on MPG overall, winter time at best it was getting 20mpg.

ill take a chance and ASSume by +1 size you mean larger diameter. did you calibrate the speedo or just deal with the wrong readings? if not recalibrated, that would be why your mpgs went down.

i'm sure there is some complex math formulae to estimate the error, but that would be far over my head
jeepnut_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
Not-EWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 158043
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: SLC
Vehicle:
2013 Wrx Hatch
SWP

Default

Winter gas will play a factor as well
Not-EWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #20
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnut_nh View Post
ill take a chance and ASSume by +1 size you mean larger diameter. did you calibrate the speedo or just deal with the wrong readings? if not recalibrated, that would be why your mpgs went down.

i'm sure there is some complex math formulae to estimate the error, but that would be far over my head
The size change was from 215/70-16 to 225/70-16, so 1cm wider and only slightly taller.

The speedometer was not calibrated to the new tires, however I periodically compared with my handheld delorme gps on several trips the first couple of months and it was calculated to be off by approximately 2.4% (i.e. 100 miles on the car were 102.4 actual miles, also ran the GPS on my way to getting the new tires and it was under actual mileage by 0.5%) - so not much, but my calculations did factor that in when I would calculate mpg at the pump.
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
Shotokan07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300420
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sprt LT
ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Base hatchback 5-spd (no roof rails). Currently has around 1,300 miles, mostly interstate with some city driving. Current average is fluctuating between 31.8 and 32.4, according to the dash (I haven't calculated "actual" mpg). Previous tanks have all averaged around 29-31, with mpg generally increasing with each tank. I've seen it average as high as 37 and as low as 27, but by the end of the tank it always ends up somewhere in the middle of that range. Also, I live in Florida, so I haven't had to deal with low temps, snow, etc.
^^ I consider that a warmer state

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreyza View Post
does anyone from warmer states have mileage info to post? thanks
Shotokan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotokan07 View Post
^^ I consider that a warmer state
Actually, some parts where they grow oranges recently were receiving frost overnight in Florida...while it was too warm here in Minnesota to get frost, hahaha. Ah well, winter is here, and it is headed NY's way next!
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
Shotokan07
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300420
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza Sprt LT
ISM

Default

lol and last for another 3 days before the sun smiles with a 50 degree weather? I have to commute 4-5 hours to snowboard... I do this 1-2 days a week, how sad is that?
Shotokan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #24
jeepnut_nh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 261162
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: southern New Hampshire, USA
Vehicle:
2000 Outback Sport
blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
The size change was from 215/70-16 to 225/70-16, so 1cm wider and only slightly taller.

The speedometer was not calibrated to the new tires, however I periodically compared with my handheld delorme gps on several trips the first couple of months and it was calculated to be off by approximately 2.4% (i.e. 100 miles on the car were 102.4 actual miles, also ran the GPS on my way to getting the new tires and it was under actual mileage by 0.5%) - so not much, but my calculations did factor that in when I would calculate mpg at the pump.
i ASSumed and look like one now

my brain went to Jeep mode, i was thinking you went 1" on the diameter.
ive got 31 x 10.50 15s which is 2" over stock, and if i read 30 mph, im actually going right about 38. when i figure my mileage i get around 10, though i know in reality its closer to the 15-18 range. unless there is wheeling involved....then its best to go by time rather than miles.
jeepnut_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
pxpaulx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 306218
Join Date: Jan 2012
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza CVT
DarK Grey Met. Sport Prem

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnut_nh View Post
i ASSumed and look like one now

my brain went to Jeep mode, i was thinking you went 1" on the diameter.
ive got 31 x 10.50 15s which is 2" over stock, and if i read 30 mph, im actually going right about 38. when i figure my mileage i get around 10, though i know in reality its closer to the 15-18 range. unless there is wheeling involved....then its best to go by time rather than miles.
Not too big of one I think, haha...yeah I just meant one actual tire size up, not an entire order of magnitude! I'm pretty nerdy about getting the numbers right, especially when I get a new car (the element was at least new to me at the time).

Being that the Impreza is not just new to me, but pretty much new to everyone, I think as far as MPG goes right now there is no point in jumping the gun...a good final verdict won't really come around until we've at least seen the end of summer (especially given the tendency towards sales in colder parts of the country it seems). I'm only upto about 400 miles, but I am optimistic that with some carefully applied driving techniques this car will do very well.
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody in SCIC-land taken possession of 2012 Impreza 2.0i yet? somebody else Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 1 12-29-2011 11:31 PM
Another Gas Mileage Thread 340Duster Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 12 04-04-2010 10:17 PM
Another gas mileage thread. Any suggestions? fiveightandten Newbies & FAQs 31 10-02-2009 09:12 PM
Gas Mileage Thread... Touge86 Rocky Mountains Impreza Club Forum -- RMIC 27 03-14-2008 03:44 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.