Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Annapolis Subaru
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #151
Detslider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170244
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Summit Point
Vehicle:
sans Subaru

Default

Did the guys actually drive the gravel course?

There has been some construction at one end of it and I thought there was a big tank of diesel fuel for the heavy equipment stashed there.

How much run off distance does SCCA require?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Detslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #152
irish44j
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191290
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Burke, VA
Vehicle:
09 OPB SM WRXsedan
85 BMW E30 M2 Rallycrossr

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jard View Post
Gravel is awesome for a half day, IMHO, but gets old if you run it all day. It also seems to favor horsepower in the AWD cars and is harder to equalize.
when I watched the vids, I was thinking the same thing to myself: that it was a "fast car" course because it's so open with less features. Looked kind of boring in the vids, so I can see how it could get old running it all day.
irish44j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #153
irish44j
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191290
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Burke, VA
Vehicle:
09 OPB SM WRXsedan
85 BMW E30 M2 Rallycrossr

Default

once Roberto and Margarita (and my buddy Stuart) register, that will be 31!
irish44j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #154
csullivan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 111653
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2011 WRX STi
SWP

Default

I very much want to get into this, what kind of beating does the car take?

don't quite have it paid off yet.
csullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #155
irish44j
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191290
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Burke, VA
Vehicle:
09 OPB SM WRXsedan
85 BMW E30 M2 Rallycrossr

Default

I would say just like any motorsports, the beating the car takes is directly proportional to how hard you're driving!
irish44j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #156
KAT_Ayanami
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155017
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csullivan View Post
I very much want to get into this, what kind of beating does the car take?

don't quite have it paid off yet.
You can give it a go and try. Just like irish44j said, it depends on how hard you drive it. Although there will always be dirt and pebbles being thrown on your paint and underbody.

We had an 08+ STi hatch on the track a few times and the car did fine. He did loose the fog light covers once I think....

If you are so concerned, just get a cheap beater and use it for this
KAT_Ayanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #157
nkx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96951
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Carlisle, PA
Vehicle:
2004 wrx sedan
'10 Outback 6mt-wifey's

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish44j
I would say just like any motorsports, the beating the car takes is directly proportional to how hard you're driving!
This.

Also be prepared for a bumper cover to come off if the car is lowered. Duct tape is quite useful for reattaching them for the drive home ;-)
nkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #158
sabreofsd
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48943
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NoVA
Vehicle:
2004 95%*STi Blu/Gld
www.dcawd.com

Default

If you're really worried about paint chips and such, you can also use painters tape along the front. It's not a 100% solution, but it helps. We won't make too much fun of you
sabreofsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #159
Detslider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170244
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Summit Point
Vehicle:
sans Subaru

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkx View Post
This.

Also be prepared for a bumper cover to come off if the car is lowered. Duct tape is quite useful for reattaching them for the drive home ;-)
Every RX'er should have ready supplies of tape and zip ties.
Detslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #160
lichtwald
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 252302
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore, MD
Vehicle:
2010 2.5i Hatch
2002 WRB WRX

Default

How does this whole thing go down? I haven't been to one yet, and don't think all the new bits on my WRX will be broken in yet for me to run the event.

Can I just show up and watch/work?
lichtwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #161
KoldKermit
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 228885
Join Date: Nov 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Leesburg, VA
Vehicle:
06 wrxWagonWRB
99rsAW, 98rsBDP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
when I watched the vids, I was thinking the same thing to myself: that it was a "fast car" course because it's so open with less features. Looked kind of boring in the vids, so I can see how it could get old running it all day.
I wouldn't use "boring" to describe any of the courses. We reverse the courses at lunch time and that changes everything. Each course has exciting and/or challenging turns. Personally, I dislike the grassy/tight sections that are typically put in the main/big course, but other sections are fun. The nicely cambered back-to-back sweepers on the gravel course are a lot of fun to rotate back and forth through. I've found the left over big crest to be the most challenging turn out there (exact braking point is critical). I've gone off course a couple times in my wrx there (with ABS still on)

6 days and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichtwald View Post
How does this whole thing go down? I haven't been to one yet, and don't think all the new bits on my WRX will be broken in yet for me to run the event.Can I just show up and watch/work?
Please do! Just show up around 8:30 and volunteer at the registration table. Volunteering at a flag station will get you closer than any "spectator point".
KoldKermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #162
sabreofsd
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48943
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: NoVA
Vehicle:
2004 95%*STi Blu/Gld
www.dcawd.com

Default

^^^ Yep, every one is very friendly and we'll point ya in the right direction. If you have a helmet, bring it along and ask for some ride-alongs!
sabreofsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #163
Falcons365
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 213399
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Abingdon, MD
Vehicle:
2001 2.5RS
STM

Default

I still need to get a helmet...

...I like to procrastinate.
Falcons365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #164
nkx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96951
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Carlisle, PA
Vehicle:
2004 wrx sedan
'10 Outback 6mt-wifey's

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons365
I still need to get a helmet...

...I like to procrastinate.
Loaners are available, unless your head is really huge!
nkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #165
DCRallyDave
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4379
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: pineapple under the sea
Vehicle:
DSM LanciaShelby351
MartiniWRC Codriver

Default

There is a vendor in DC that sells rally equipment and services. Because rally community here is small so most everything he ships mailorder, its not like he has a storefront. Not a vendor here either (he drives a Mitsu). But, if anyone wants to invest in a helmet designed for rallying because they may do a stage rally eventually and have an opportunity to try them on for sizing, PM me for contact info. He has come out to Summit Point last season. May save someone cost of shipping and risk of your helmet being damaged unbenownst to you during shipping.
DCRallyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #166
lichtwald
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 252302
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore, MD
Vehicle:
2010 2.5i Hatch
2002 WRB WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRallyDave View Post
There is a vendor in DC that sells rally equipment and services. Because rally community here is small so most everything he ships mailorder, its not like he has a storefront. Not a vendor here either (he drives a Mitsu). But, if anyone wants to invest in a helmet designed for rallying because they may do a stage rally eventually and have an opportunity to try them on for sizing, PM me for contact info. He has come out to Summit Point last season. May save someone cost of shipping and risk of your helmet being damaged unbenownst to you during shipping.
That's a good service to offer. I bought my Peltor from their sizing guide online and the thing hardly fits. I'm probably the only person glad that helmets expire.
lichtwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #167
irish44j
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191290
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Burke, VA
Vehicle:
09 OPB SM WRXsedan
85 BMW E30 M2 Rallycrossr

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoldKermit View Post
I wouldn't use "boring" to describe any of the courses. We reverse the courses at lunch time and that changes everything. Each course has exciting and/or challenging turns. Personally, I dislike the grassy/tight sections that are typically put in the main/big course, but other sections are fun. The nicely cambered back-to-back sweepers on the gravel course are a lot of fun to rotate back and forth through. I've found the left over big crest to be the most challenging turn out there (exact braking point is critical). I've gone off course a couple times in my wrx there (with ABS still on)

".
I just meant in comparison to the big course, which seemd to have alot of different terrain and features. Then again, I like tight features since my car isn't gonna be understeering, and isn't gonna be cranking it up very fast. Pretty sure I can rotate it whenever I want, lol. I didn't mean boring compared to just driving along a normal road, lol. But then again, you can only see so much on vids.

Either way, I'll have fun. I tend to just like long runs in general - in autocross or anything else. Unlike you, I'm not worried about honing lines for the first half of the season, I need to find out how this car reacts to different features/terrains/speeds/etc, so the big course give me more of that.
irish44j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #168
Falcons365
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 213399
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Abingdon, MD
Vehicle:
2001 2.5RS
STM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkx View Post
Loaners are available, unless your head is really huge!
Just the opposite, I'm a pin head.
Falcons365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #169
mhoerath
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131379
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: richmond, va
Vehicle:
2003 354 ftlb@3k rpm
justablue hatch

Default

On saturday what's the latest we can get through summit main gate? Poker tables at charlestown beckon.
mhoerath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #170
KAT_Ayanami
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 155017
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS
Blue Ridge Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoldKermit View Post
Personally, I dislike the grassy/tight sections that are typically put in the main/big course, but other sections are fun.
I dislike those two. But not because of the tightness, which I think is great to learn how to rotate the car, but because of the HUGE bumps and rots that are on those areas (which btw are 100% covered in grass :P)

Other than the harshness of the terrain, I like the grass areas.

Jard makes us run through there so our cars break down and he wins by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkx View Post
Loaners are available, unless your head is really huge!
Or really small!! I had to get a helmet for my wife because the small size was dancing on her head and falling forward in front of her eyes
KAT_Ayanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #171
irish44j
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 191290
Join Date: Oct 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Burke, VA
Vehicle:
09 OPB SM WRXsedan
85 BMW E30 M2 Rallycrossr

Default

^^lol....

we're at 31 entries, plus you and margarita. 7 e30 entrants (driving 3 cars)....might be a new world record for e30 runs at a rallycross, haha....we'll which of us can make it through unscathed. I have the most ground clearance and softest springs of the bunch, so I want the roughness
irish44j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #172
nkx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96951
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Carlisle, PA
Vehicle:
2004 wrx sedan
'10 Outback 6mt-wifey's

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
^^lol....

we're at 31 entries, plus you and margarita. 7 e30 entrants (driving 3 cars)....might be a new world record for e30 runs at a rallycross, haha....we'll which of us can make it through unscathed. I have the most ground clearance and softest springs of the bunch, so I want the roughness
32 now. i finally ponied up for the season.
nkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #173
Detslider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170244
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Summit Point
Vehicle:
sans Subaru

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoerath View Post
On saturday what's the latest we can get through summit main gate? Poker tables at charlestown beckon.
I think the only other thing going on next weekend is an Audi Club drivers school. I'm doubtful they'll be camping and as such have someone working the gate. If that's the case showing up past 6pm might be a bad idea.

I'm about 30-40 minutes south of the casino off Rt. 340
I've got a guest room at my place. You can go gamble all night and show up here whenever.
Isabel is out of town and I'm planing on going to hang out at the RX, so no need to creep out in the morning either.
Though the only thing I have to drink here is water and beer so you've got to bring your own coffee.
Detslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #174
mhoerath
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 131379
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: richmond, va
Vehicle:
2003 354 ftlb@3k rpm
justablue hatch

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detslider View Post
I think the only other thing going on next weekend is an Audi Club drivers school. I'm doubtful they'll be camping and as such have someone working the gate. If that's the case showing up past 6pm might be a bad idea.

I'm about 30-40 minutes south of the casino off Rt. 340
I've got a guest room at my place. You can go gamble all night and show up here whenever.
Isabel is out of town and I'm planing on going to hang out at the RX, so no need to creep out in the morning either.
Though the only thing I have to drink here is water and beer so you've got to bring your own coffee.
cool, i have *several* coffee making apparati. i'll pm you for address...looks like rain FR, SA = mud.
mhoerath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #175
Jard
In the silly seat
Moderator
 
Member#: 34935
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Vehicle:
SPB- 2013 Smugmobile
and DADCORE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT_Ayanami View Post
Jard makes us run through there so our cars break down and he wins by default.
Roberto, you've never run a rough SP course.

I toned things down last year.
Jard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 WDCR SCCA RallyCross Dates - October 16 @ Summit Point, WV - Registration OPEN Jard Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 334 01-13-2012 12:11 PM
Registration Open for October 13-14 NASA event. mav1c Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 25 09-16-2007 08:12 PM
March 4th WDCR SCCA RallyCross Event & Driver School mhoerath Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 1 02-27-2007 10:34 PM
RallyX in Virginia, June 23d - registration opens today at 6pm blaster88 South East Region Forum 2 06-09-2002 11:13 PM
WDCR SCCA RallyCross #1 sumit Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 13 02-11-2002 11:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.