Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
vince769
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 277403
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Aspen White

Default AccessPort and AEM Tru Boost

So I hope this makes sence....

Okay so I'm running a stage 2 pro-tune on my 05 STi and the boost is set at 18.5psi now I have just installed a AEM Tru Boost EBC and wanna know if it is going to create any problems seemings how the stock boost controller is no longer hooked up? I know the AccessPort tune WAS keeping the boost in check. So what I wanna know is if I should set my AEM EBC to 18.5psi? or if i will run in to problems since the car's computer no longer knows how much boost its running?

**hope I posted this in the area**
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
vince769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince769 View Post
So I hope this makes sence....

Okay so I'm running a stage 2 pro-tune on my 05 STi and the boost is set at 18.5psi now I have just installed a AEM Tru Boost EBC and wanna know if it is going to create any problems seemings how the stock boost controller is no longer hooked up? I know the AccessPort tune WAS keeping the boost in check. So what I wanna know is if I should set my AEM EBC to 18.5psi? or if i will run in to problems since the car's computer no longer knows how much boost its running?

**hope I posted this in the area**
The car's computer (ECU) will still know how much boost you are running (as long as you are not messing with the factory MAP sensor) but it will have zero control over boost except for the overboost fuel cut. The factory ECU has a fairly sophisticated boost control system and can control boost based on throttle position, RPM, boost error (how close you are to target), altitude, intake temp, etc. It can also disable boost control when severe knock happens (when DAM drops to a low level). You give that all up when you are running an aftermarket boost controller. So, essentially, you are now tuning boost yourself. This can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. There's no reason to do this as the factory boost control system is perfectly adequate, especially at stage 1/2 levels.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
vince769
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 277403
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi
Aspen White

Okay so if I were to bring it in for a new tune would you use the AEM EBC or go back to the factory boost controller? Also this may be a Noob question but would it matter if I turned the AEM boost controller off and spliced in a T fitting to the factory BC? If that makes since at all lol
vince769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince769 View Post
Okay so if I were to bring it in for a new tune would you use the AEM EBC or go back to the factory boost controller? Also this may be a Noob question but would it matter if I turned the AEM boost controller off and spliced in a T fitting to the factory BC? If that makes since at all lol
If you previously had a protune with the factory BCS functional and the ECU controlling boost, you are eliminating that part of the tune by installing the EBC (i.e. you are basically tuning boost yourself without consideration for how that will work with the rest of the tune). Certainly, you can get a re-tune (or tweaking) with the EBC installed. This will allow the tuner to verify the "complete" tune given the set-up.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote