Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #26
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA1320 View Post
Im going to be the one to say it.. Even tho I can't wait to try it out Im pretty upset that the Utec which is an outdated ems has been using this type of feature for over 5 years..

Why did it take so long to catch up to a dinosaur?
Quite frankly, we had taken on too many different manufacturers with too little resources. So, for a long time, those resources were spread too thin and Subaru development went a bit static. In the last few years, however, we've restructured the company so that we have specific "expert" groups, one of which focuses only on Subaru. We also got out of market for some of the other platforms we had taken on. We reworked the behind-the-scenes data support for the software so it will be easier to support future hacks and the first result of the restructuring was the major overhaul of the Subaru AccessTUNER table/monitor assortment (as well as AccessPORT monitors) back in Feb 2011. After that, we worked on and released an updated launch control/flat-foot shift feature. And then, going into this release, we created the all-new version of speed density for the 2.5L cars (we had a previous version of SD back in 2009 that was never finished because of the aforementioned problems). Hopefully this will show that we are on the right track and are committed to Subaru.

Bill
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #27
WhatTurboLag?
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 243992
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Morton Grove, Illinois
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
WRB

Default

now lets get some rally style antilag and spark cut launch control

WhatTurboLag? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #28
kurion
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 75543
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
05 05 WRX 4eat
PSM 2.5 35R

Default

Cobb/Bill,

Thanks for getting SD done, so now my question is for 16bit ecus, when you say feasibility - "information soon" are we talking weeks, months or years here. Honestly you already explained why there was a gap for 2 years to get SD on 32 bit ecus but right now my accessport is collecting dust and I want to know if the accessport will be of any use to me in the coming months when my new motor and turbo set up goes in.

thanks
kurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #29
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurion View Post
Cobb/Bill,

Thanks for getting SD done, so now my question is for 16bit ecus, when you say feasibility - "information soon" are we talking weeks, months or years here. Honestly you already explained why there was a gap for 2 years to get SD on 32 bit ecus but right now my accessport is collecting dust and I want to know if the accessport will be of any use to me in the coming months when my new motor and turbo set up goes in.

thanks
We've worked on the 2.0L SD here and there during development for 2.5L SD and it is certainly feasible. We are actually working on it right now. Barring anything major happening, we are talking about months for 2.0L SD, most likely the first half of this year. You never now what can come up during development, but everything looks good at this point. The 2.0L SD will be available for manual transmission 02-05 USDM WRXs with the AccessPORT version 2 only. The general functionality will be similar to the 2.5L SD.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #30
kurion
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 75543
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: MD
Vehicle:
05 05 WRX 4eat
PSM 2.5 35R

Default

Bill,

Thanks for the quick response, I noticed that you mentioned that if it does happen, it will be for MT, I assume this has to do with the torque cut signal/TCU communications issues that a MT doesn't have to deal with. Anyway thanks for the heads up.
kurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #31
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurion View Post
Bill,

Thanks for the quick response, I noticed that you mentioned that if it does happen, it will be for MT, I assume this has to do with the torque cut signal/TCU communications issues that a MT doesn't have to deal with. Anyway thanks for the heads up.
It is just related to the limited amount of "free" space you have to work with for the USDM 02-05 WRX ECU. We would really need to create separate solution for each tranny and ECU group (02/03, 04, and 05). Since there would be very little demand for AT versions (and because we would have difficulty finding AT cars to test on), we decided to stick with MT only for 2.0L SD.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #32
Jim2752
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 147610
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2007 Stage 2 STi
WRB

Default

I have an 07 STi with 400whp. My tuner was having trouble keeping my car from stalling because of my intake setup. What will be needed to run SD on my car and keep everything running smooth?
Is it as simple as removing the stock MAF, Putting a IAT sensor in the IC end tank, and getting a new MAP sensor? With the IAT sensor in the intercooler would it prevent the lean condition caused by heat soak?
I still have to get a final tune and I would like the best setup possible.
Thanks!
Jim2752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #33
Jim2752
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 147610
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2007 Stage 2 STi
WRB

Default

What are the benefits of running the hybrid mode?
Jim2752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #34
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2752 View Post
I have an 07 STi with 400whp. My tuner was having trouble keeping my car from stalling because of my intake setup. What will be needed to run SD on my car and keep everything running smooth?
Is it as simple as removing the stock MAF, Putting a IAT sensor in the IC end tank, and getting a new MAP sensor? With the IAT sensor in the intercooler would it prevent the lean condition caused by heat soak?
I still have to get a final tune and I would like the best setup possible.
Thanks!
Placing the IAT sensor post-turbo is the best placement, but there is no way to completely eliminate the possibility of a heat soaked IAT sensor under all conditions. That is just a fact of life with any car running SD. But, generally, it isn't a problem. Usually it is when the car is heat soaked for a long period (such as extended idling) or after a hot restart. When you get moving and get some throttle, the effect will usually go away fairly quickly. You just want to be aware of it and every car running SD should have a wideband o2 sensor with in-car gauge (really any car beyond stage 2 should have it anyway - regardless of whether you are running a MAF or SD tune).

Hybrid mode allows you to automatically switch between MAF and SD modes based on any of 4 thresholds for MAF voltage, boost, throttle and/or RPM. Uses would be for cars that are running well on MAF at least in some aspect, but would run better under some conditions on SD. An example would be a car that is tuned for MAF but maxes out the sensor on the high end. That car could certainly run full SD, but if the tune is already dialed in and they just need to eliminate the issue with the maxed out MAF, they could go with hybrid mode switching to SD on the high end. Another example would be a car running a larger MAF that works well at high load, but at low load, the loss of resolution with the large MAF housing causes issues with idle/cruise. In this case, you could do the opposite and run SD on the low end and MAF on the high end. There are other examples, but you get the picture.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #35
Murphdog
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 75414
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Rock Springs,Wyoming
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Its the Blue one

Default

So how does one add an aftermarket IAT sensor and a new MAP sensor for SD with the AccessPort.
Murphdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #36
Jim2752
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 147610
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New Jersey
Vehicle:
2007 Stage 2 STi
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
Placing the IAT sensor post-turbo is the best placement, but there is no way to completely eliminate the possibility of a heat soaked IAT sensor under all conditions. That is just a fact of life with any car running SD. But, generally, it isn't a problem. Usually it is when the car is heat soaked for a long period (such as extended idling) or after a hot restart. When you get moving and get some throttle, the effect will usually go away fairly quickly. You just want to be aware of it and every car running SD should have a wideband o2 sensor with in-car gauge (really any car beyond stage 2 should have it anyway - regardless of whether you are running a MAF or SD tune).

Hybrid mode allows you to automatically switch between MAF and SD modes based on any of 4 thresholds for MAF voltage, boost, throttle and/or RPM. Uses would be for cars that are running well on MAF at least in some aspect, but would run better under some conditions on SD. An example would be a car that is tuned for MAF but maxes out the sensor on the high end. That car could certainly run full SD, but if the tune is already dialed in and they just need to eliminate the issue with the maxed out MAF, they could go with hybrid mode switching to SD on the high end. Another example would be a car running a larger MAF that works well at high load, but at low load, the loss of resolution with the large MAF housing causes issues with idle/cruise. In this case, you could do the opposite and run SD on the low end and MAF on the high end. There are other examples, but you get the picture.

Bill
Thanks for the help!
I'm going to talk to my tuner about this tomorrow.
I have a FMIC and I was thinking that if the IAT sensor is tapped into the end tank there will be almost no heat soak and it would pretty much eliminate that problem ....or would it be a better idea to put it closer to the intake manifold for a more accurate reading?
And where can I find an aftermarket IAT sensor and how will it be wired up?
I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to get this done as soon as possible. In the past year my car hasn't been up and running 100% for more then a couple weeks
Jim2752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #37
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2752 View Post
Thanks for the help!
I'm going to talk to my tuner about this tomorrow.
I have a FMIC and I was thinking that if the IAT sensor is tapped into the end tank there will be almost no heat soak and it would pretty much eliminate that problem ....or would it be a better idea to put it closer to the intake manifold for a more accurate reading?
And where can I find an aftermarket IAT sensor and how will it be wired up?
I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to get this done as soon as possible. In the past year my car hasn't been up and running 100% for more then a couple weeks
Ok, I was thinking you had a TMIC. With an FMIC, I would go ahead and place the IAT sensor post intercooler in the intake piping somewhere before the throttle body. That is the easiest location to mount and it is pretty effective at approximating charge temps. In that location (or any other) you can still sometimes have IAT heat soak, but generally it is not an issue. We had to run a car hard and then let a car sit with hood closed for a bit to induce heat soak with that configuration in our testing and it usually went away in matter of minutes after driving. Of course, your results may vary and some conditions, such as stop and go driving with A/C on in the middle of summer are going to worse than others. But, it is perfectly manageable as a long as your aware of it and you have a means to monitor fueling (which, like I said, should be strongly considered when you go beyond stage 2 anyway).

The GM and AEM IAT sensors are the most popular and we have the appropriate sensor calibrations listed for these sensors in the SD tuning guide. We will be releasing a how-to on wiring up an aftermarket IAT sensor in the future. For the 2004-2007 STi, you will be using the Brown and Green/Red wires on the MAF wiring harness. For 2008-2012 WRX/STi, you will be using the Yellow/Red and Yellow/Blue wires. You should definitely use solder and heat-shrink tubing (you want to make sure this is a reliable connection).

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #38
WhatTurboLag?
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 243992
Join Date: Apr 2010
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Morton Grove, Illinois
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
WRB

Default

ugh this is torture i need to buy injectors and other things before i can get SD running since i want to get the tune once and not have to buy twice lol.


quick question, for tapping into the TMIC end tank, do you recomend close to the outlet, or off to the side of the end tank?
WhatTurboLag? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #39
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTurboLag? View Post
ugh this is torture i need to buy injectors and other things before i can get SD running since i want to get the tune once and not have to buy twice lol.


quick question, for tapping into the TMIC end tank, do you recomend close to the outlet, or off to the side of the end tank?
It shouldn't make any real-world difference, but, in theory, closer to the manifold the better.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #40
WrXtaCy2003
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85036
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 PBP sti ltd
05 LGT 35r 30psi..busted

Default

Are we talking weeks, months, half year time frame on the release for ATR? Thanks

Dustin
WrXtaCy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #41
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrXtaCy2003 View Post
Are we talking weeks, months, half year time frame on the release for ATR? Thanks

Dustin
More on the weeks time frame for 2.5L ATR SD support. Could be relatively soon, so keep checking back.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #42
WrXtaCy2003
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85036
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 PBP sti ltd
05 LGT 35r 30psi..busted

Default

Thanks!!! Bill, you just made me one happy camper

DK
WrXtaCy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #43
juanmedina
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 133146
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SC
Vehicle:
07 FPgreen 7.37@95
WRX VF39+E85 12.0, 121mph

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb Tuning View Post
More on the weeks time frame for 2.5L ATR SD support. Could be relatively soon, so keep checking back.

Bill
this makes me happy
juanmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #44
SpongeBobSquarePants
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 296048
Join Date: Sep 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Kenilworth, NJ
Vehicle:
2011 STI
Blurple

Default

This makes me happy too.
SpongeBobSquarePants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #45
mpsti05
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 86741
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
05 STi.. Built
twinscroll35r Love/Hate

Default

Just got retuned using cobb's speed density and holy **** the car is amazing... Before on the kstech intake there were certain issues down low cause of my maf placement and the large cams, but with cobbs speed density it's a whole new animal! Granted im at the limits of the id1000cc at 20psi but it's amazing how awesome it drives now! Jorge retuned it and I can't thank him enough!
mpsti05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #46
25rsti
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 166324
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Haverhill, MA
Vehicle:
3 turbos &n NA
@DBlockSTi

Default

Can't wait for the 2.0 version. I was going to go with the KS Tech intake way but I think I'll hold out for this. Hope this 2.0 version comes out soon though.
25rsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #47
Murphdog
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 75414
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Rock Springs,Wyoming
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Its the Blue one

Default

Quick question on placement of the IAT. Should I place it before my water/meth nozzles or after. I'm guessing before but want to be sure.
Murphdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #48
shooting
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 82720
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: a mile high COLORADO!
Vehicle:
1993 any 93 + subaru
dirty or snowy

Default 2.0 sd BUT WHEN!!!!!??

bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please chime in on the progress of the 2.0 speed density. I am so far beyond tired of FN with my intake that im about to rid myself of this car entirely. I was told they are about to beta test on some cars, is this true? can you please ELABORATE where exactly you are on the 2.0 SD so I can look at my options. If you need cars to test on I'm very willing. rotated kit with some extra parts. And I have two certified cobb tuners in my area. Im getting tired of calling once a month and hearing the same " yes where working on it and its close" answer. are we talking second quarter or later than that? please fill us in. ALOT of people are holding there breath...
shooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #49
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 4803
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Austin, DFW, Portland, SOCAL
Default

We are very close to testing on our shop vehicles. Unfortunately the reverse engineering process (especially when building new logic like Speed Density) makes it hard to create exactly defined deadlines. But development is full steam ahead! Sorry for the vague answer, but until we do more thorough testing, we don't want to throw any estimates out there quite yet.

Ian
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #50
shooting
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 82720
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: a mile high COLORADO!
Vehicle:
1993 any 93 + subaru
dirty or snowy

Default

"We've worked on the 2.0L SD here and there during development for 2.5L SD and it is certainly feasible. We are actually working on it right now. Barring anything major happening, we are talking about months for 2.0L SD, most likely the first half of this year." a quote from bill on 1-25-12


you basically said what bill posted 2 month ago...

i need to look into open source i think..
shooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COBB AccessTUNER Pro Supports Speed Density Tuning! Cobb Tuning AccessPort 141 01-16-2012 09:19 PM
FS : Cobb Accessport 08-11 WRX/STi 07-10 2.5L LGT AP-SUB-003 MarkRacerX NWIC Private Classifieds 0 09-19-2011 02:00 AM
FS : COBB Accessport for 04 - 06 2.5L Turbos (WRX, STI, Forester XT, Legacy, Outback) nesubie199 Engine/Power/Exhaust 14 05-16-2011 06:57 PM
IAG + Jorge make 464whp on 2.5L + TSR70 on Pump + Cobb AP IAG Performance Proven Power Bragging 9 11-02-2009 07:12 PM
Cobb Accessport 04 - 07 2.5L Turbo Subaru WRX and STI AP-SUB-002 no-pistons Engine/Power/Exhaust 9 09-03-2009 05:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.