Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Blur125
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 88514
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Gray Metallic

Unhappy Head Gasket Replaced, but....

Hi folks. I'm in a total rut today. My trusty Subaru (02' Impreza Outback Sport 2.5l Manual) hasn't been feeling so well over the last year and may need replacement with a new car soon.

130k Miles I had the clutch replaced ($800). Mechanic noticed a leak and mentioned he'd seen this before, and my head gasket was shot. Greattt...

I had the head gasket replaced at 132k miles at a dealership ($1600). Since then I've been having all sorts of issues. The main issue after the replacement was a drastic increase in oil consumption. 1.5-2 quarts every 3500 miles. I took it back to the dealer and he said "Not our fault, its a ring in your engine. $3k to fix." At this point I am panicking. "Well, I guess I'll just drive it and keep putting oil in it because that's cheaper than the fix." I know about the potential Catalytic converter problems as well, but I don't have $3k to invest in this car.

Recently (150k), coolant is spewing out of the radiator cap (replaced the cap and hoses; no difference). Friends have told me this means the head gasket wasn't installed properly and my cooling system is over pressurized. OK, I'll keep the coolant levels up...

NOW (154k) there is a horribly loud clicking sound when the clutch is engaged. Took it back to the clutch guy: "Your tranny has a bad bearing. Needs replacement. Don't drive it. Estimated $1800-2500. WTF!!!

So now repairs have exceeded the value of the car exponentially. Totally sad because cosmetically this car is in GREAT shape. I would be totally fine fixing the transmission, if there weren't engine issues.

My question: Is there any way to prove the dealership botched the head gasket repair and caused some of these problems? Does anyone have anything else besides words of comfort before I take a major loss and buy a new vehicle? Any way to sell/trade the car without taking a huge hit? Much appreciated for any responses.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Blur125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
JohnM10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 244231
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i 5M
Crystal Grey Metallic

Did you get any warrenty for the headgasket repair? A dealership or any decent mechanic should warrenty their work for a limited amount of time. Can you see any coolant or oil leaking from the heads?
JohnM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Blur125
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM10 View Post
Did you get any warrenty for the headgasket repair? A dealership or any decent mechanic should warrenty their work for a limited amount of time. Can you see any coolant or oil leaking from the heads?
The head gasket warranty was for 10k miles. I brought it back within that time frame and thats when they told me "oil burning is not our fault" even though it never burned oil before. No coolant/oil leak from heads. The coolant is coming out of the radiator cap after my 18 mile commute to work. Its definitely coming from the cap and I have replaced it already as a precaution with no resolution.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

20k+ miles since the gasket job was done now... might be too late to get anywhere with it, but I'd talk to the service manager and offer to authorize a tear-down to see if there is actually a ring issue or if the head gasket job was botched, on the condition that they pick up the tab if the rings are found to be intact. You may want to call Subaru customer service and see if they can do any persuading from their end.

Or just buy a junkyard engine and trans and have them dropped in. You know the condition of the rest of the car, dropping a few thousand bucks on it (even if you have to take out a personal loan) might be cheaper than buying a new car.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Blur125
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Gray Metallic

Just an update to those interested. I went back to the dealership and started test driving the new 2012 Impreza Premium...and walked away with a new Subaru haha...They gave me $4000 for trade in value + $700 for being a preferred customer, since I got most of my serious work done there. Not too mention the $500 from Subaru for all the problems my old Subi had...I am going to baby the hell out of my new 36MPG Impreza!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
SHOfast
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 99083
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
02 impreza

I am glad things worked out ok from you in the end.

Sorry you were in a tuff place with the old car. There really wasn't a way to handle that where you would not be fitting the bill for lots of the work. In the future I would not use that dealership for any engine repair work, dont make the same mistake twice.
SHOfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Blur125
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i
Dark Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOfast View Post
I am glad things worked out ok from you in the end.

Sorry you were in a tuff place with the old car. There really wasn't a way to handle that where you would not be fitting the bill for lots of the work. In the future I would not use that dealership for any engine repair work, dont make the same mistake twice.
Thanks guy! You know I actually bought the car from the same dealership, but I can take it for servicing at one of 3 dealerships in my area. Its funny, the service guys said I could get $300 for my Subaru in its current state. The salesman gave me $4000 for it. Wish I could see the look on the service desk managers face when we learns they gave me $4000 for my car that needs over $5000 worth of work
Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

Sales guys will load the hell out of the value of the used car in order to make the sale - then pass the turd onto the used car department to try and make a profit on.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote