Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
95impreza209
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 387218
Default Ej20g into 1995 Impreza Base awd Help Please...

I've had my 1995 Impreza for a couple years now. I was towing my little boat and the transmission finally went out at 256,000 miles. The motor was replaced just before I got the car 170,000 or 180,000k. The car was owned by an older woman before me and still had the am/fm radio, no cd player or any after market parts. I was going to just replace the transmission and it was going to cost me about $500. My wife asked if I still wanted to do the swap, I said yes so she said go ahead and do it now or it would just be wasting 500 on the transmission just to swap it soon. So I bought a Half cut. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but it would be very helpful if some one could hook me up with the ecu pin out and other tips for installing it. My car is a 1995 OBD1 awd Impreza with a manual transmission. the half cut is a gc8c48d. The motor is ej20gdw4he amd the transmission is ty752vb3fa. It came with the rear diff all the axles as well. If any one is interested in the stock parts that are being removed for the swap (hood, radiator, radiator fans, etc) they are free, I have them posted for cheap on craigslist so just mention you saw them here to get them free. I'm in california about an hour from sacramento and an hour and a half from the bay area.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by 95impreza209; 04-09-2014 at 05:52 PM.
95impreza209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
94_impreza
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 387263
Vehicle:
94 impreza
Green

Default swap

i'm new to the subaru stuff and i have a 94 impreza that i want to put an 02 bug eye motor trans and rear diff was told it will all just bolt in but the wiring will be a bitch and was told its not worth it was i told rite or is the wiring going to be a bear... ps i have the 02 donor car complete
94_impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
95impreza209
Scooby Newbie

Old 04-10-2014, 01:45 AM   #4
suberdave
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 101865
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
88 GL-10 STi
silver

P.M. Sent...

Good Luck. this will be a fun swap. you will love it when its all done.

-=Suberdave=-
suberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
chuchin420
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 157528
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2000 IMPREZA 2.5RS
metalic silver

Hey, if you have a full jdm clip why not convert it to rhd? It would be alot easier to do the wiring and might not have to change anything and it would make your ride unique, and as for your other car correct me if I'm wrong but, if you already have the WRX doner everything should just be a matter of swapping all electrical wiring over to the older chassis, and once you clear that everything else should be smooth sailing, another thing you could do is send both your harnesses (WRX&94 impreza) and have iwire merge them and you just take care of the mechanical aspect which would be removing the old 94 transmission and engine and dropping the newer WRX one in.
chuchin420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
IllNastyImpreza
Scooby Guru

Member#: 36333
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
DIY project: life
I need more TIME!

fantastic !
IllNastyImpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
95impreza209
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies! Im going to try the Iwire route. About $600 I didn't plan on spending but I guess its better than the headache and messing things up. I like RHD cars but it ends up being a pain in the ass. Try going through a drive thru for your food and leaning over your car, all the driving laws are set up for LHD so it makes for a lot more blind spots when driving. My buddy had a RHD R32 gtst for a while and got sick of it. On top of that Dont have the extra money. I doing this as cheaply as possible, sending my harness out is going to use up the rest of my money and some of my parents... The clip was only 1800 and he threw in a red turbo hood to match my red car. Told him i had to have the hood because of the intercoller, he had 7 of them so he said okay.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
69subaru360
Scooby Guru

Member#: 159682
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
1998 2.5 RS

Don't waste your money. The wiring is REALLY easy to do. About half the wires are the same color and the rest are easy to figure out. Mine only took a few hours to do.

I have a chart somewhere that I got from Rob on here with color codes for both usdm and jdm it makes it even easier. If I find it I will post it, if not you could probably PM him and get it.
69subaru360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
95impreza209
Scooby Newbie

I was thinking about trying it but I only have the ecu pinouts and the color coded wiring for my usdm car. I have a california emmissions car so I don't know about all the extra sensors that are tapped into my system, getting the radiator fans and such to work properly. This is my daily driver and I'm down a car until I get it done so if I botch it I'm really screwed Iwire is a minimum 2 weeks out right now, I really wish I could do it myself!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
Smity Subaru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211714
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
95 Sti Swapped GC8
Red

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t202...ity-s-imp.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2612900

you might find some help here. did exactly what your doing and my car is even the same color and year
Smity Subaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
5yearplan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 332862

Nice swap man, I'm in the process of putting everything together to put an ej20 in my 90 loyale wagon. Wish I would have bought a driveline with a harness, so I will have to make my own. I was wondering if you knew which turbo control components, map and maf you're running? I've been having a hard time finding out what my setup will need, and where the stock components mount to.
5yearplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #12
559RICARDOgc8
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 397838

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69subaru360 View Post
Don't waste your money. The wiring is REALLY easy to do. About half the wires are the same color and the rest are easy to figure out. Mine only took a few hours to do.

I have a chart somewhere that I got from Rob on here with color codes for both usdm and jdm it makes it even easier. If I find it I will post it, if not you could probably PM him and get it.
hey man I just got a really good deal on a ej20g any way you can help me out with the wiring? its all going into a 98 wrx L this is my first Subaru and I bought the car with a broken timing belt so im taking the engine out I have the ej20g now only thing im worried about is the wiring issue. thanks
559RICARDOgc8 is online now   Reply With Quote