Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
camlupi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 285365
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 Wrx sti
blue

Default Should i swap?

So i have a 97 legacy outback that is having some serious transmission problems,and leaking oil from the bellhousing so ive have been researching and contemplating either doing an sti or wrx swap or buying a rex. From what I've read so far cost can vary from 4-8,000. So im curious about any of your takes on what i should do, and cost. I have about enough for a high miles wrx but im sure reliability would an issue. Also how hard would one be ive pulled motors and done basic things like swap out axels, change/upgrade turbo setups, so with guidance i feel i could attempt it? Also the car is automatic. So any guidance and suggestions on what i should do would be greatly appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
camlupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Zaider
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 154281
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2002 V7 EJ207 Dom1.5
MBP

Do you want this to be a project car for the rest of its life? You'll never get the money you put into it back.

From a guy who's done a couple swaps... Buy a WRX
Zaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
camlupi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Wrx sti
blue

ide like to have it done within a month and pass emission.:/ really dont think its worth it?
Old 01-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Zaider
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 154281
Vehicle:
2002 V7 EJ207 Dom1.5
MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by camlupi View Post
ide like to have it done within a month and pass emission.:/ really dont think its worth it?
Lol. Famous last words.

You're worried about reliability. A swap isn't a great place to start....

I told my friends I'd have my swap (Ej207 into a 2002 2.5RS) done within a few weeks. Nothing hard... just bolts, right? The car rolled out of the garage 9 months later.

A swap is ALWAYS more expensive than you think it'll be. There's always extras. There's always the "while Im here, i might as well replace XXX".

Do I think its worth it? Worth it how? Its certainly not worth it economically. You'll never get the money out of it that you put it. You really limit your market as well... who wants to buy a swap? Some do, but they're few and far between.

The only way I can say mine was worth it for me was that I learned a hell of a lot. I built my car. For the same money, I could have bought an STI and made it faster though.

Cost. Depends what you want to do and how far you want to go. Put more power in your car and you'll want a better transmission, axles, hubs, brakes, etc. You'll want a better suspension.

my advice: Unless you're really attached to your leggy, buy something else. If you fully accept that it will never be as reliable as a factory car, and you fully accept that it could take 10 times longer than you think, and you're honestly ok with all the frustration... then go for it.
Zaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
CBXJ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265789
Vehicle:
1997 o/bX2 & ImpzX2
RED, White, Blue Green

So I swapped a JDM motor into my 97 leggy wagon. it cost more than I planned, it took longer than I thought.
I learned a ton, had lots of garage time (OK by me) and have an unique (AND quick) wagon.
would I do it again, YES! for me swapping was the right thing to do, I like driving/owning a unique combination.
reliability has been been really good despite what I have read, but I kept most things stock. I starts in the cold (Alberta Canada) winters, does not over heat, BUT does require high test, but still gets about the same fuel economy as the old 2.5..
that's my 2 cents.
(we do not have emission testing, and it took longer than a month, but I had another car, so I was not that motivated)
CBXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
camlupi
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Wrx sti
blue

how much did it end up costing you ?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Rockclimber399
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 309680

Im very interested in doing a similar swap. I have a 1999 Outback that I love to death. I love the clearance and overall usability of my car and don't want to lose any of that, I'm a rock climber and outdoor enthusiast, whilst also being a bit of a car nut. But I've done several swaps on a few different makes and models of cars (sr20 in a 240sx, rb25 in a 240sx, h22a in a eg hatch), and feel the ej20 would be a really fun and reliable motor in the car. The primary thing holding me back is the wiring aspect. It sounds very involved from what I can tell, and while on all my other swaps I had wiring to do, I can't seem to confidently determine if that is something I'm going to be able to do. People make it seem REALLY freaking hard.

Perhaps I'm blind, but has anyone really done any type of write up on this specific wiring setup? I believe the 97 and 99 outback are essentially the same car, no? Except perhaps the 97 was the phase 1 instead of the phase 2 ej25.

And please don't tell me to search. I've been trolling these and other forums for about three weeks, and can't seem to locate this specific info I'm really needing. I'm on the edge of buying the motor as we speak! I would love a bit of insight/direction here.
Rockclimber399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
RexWagonWA
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 221945
Default Swap wiring

You may want to contact iWire who I think is a NASIOC vendors? They may have a simple way to marry an early WRX to your Outback. I have both cars and it would be a good combination.

There are threads on this topic in the Subaru Conversions section.

GLWYB
RexWagonWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #9
johnpaul76
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 71075
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza RSTi
Faded Rally Blue

Hi,

I swapped a 2002 JDM EJ207 into a 1998 USDM 2.5RS. Was it worth it? No, it was tremendously expensive and when I was done, I still had an old subaru that needed body work. But, it was fun and you get a "unique" car out of it. The wiring in the 98 was a lot different from the 99-01, they went from a single blue connector to a multi-connector on the ECU. The wiring wasn't that bad, I'd say you'd have to spice in about 20 signals, depending what you get. I wouldn't get anything with a cut harness or no harness, that's just going to be a disaster. It's a pain because Subaru uses one harness, so stray signals are hard to trace. I guess the nice way is to pull the dash and merge the harnesses. I took the lazy route and just mounted the new ECU under the passenger seat. If it's an 02, you'll need a fuel pump controller and stuff like that. It just adds up.

We also thought it would take 2-3 weeks, granted schedules never matched up, but it went in, in April and came home in November.

As for emissions, I bought the 02 because it was OBD-II. It passed in 2010, but has failed in 2012. If I was to do it again, I'd probably get a 95 and just do the tailpipe test. It is nice to have the tuning tools for the newer ECUs, but with the money you save on the engine, you can buy a MoTeC or something, or turbo, etc.

Things to watch for, the USDM STI uses the R180 diff, people say you can get that going if you swap the knuckles and stuff, I went with getting an R160 from a 91 legacy so I didn't have to change that. Also, lots of bolts will be frozen. There is a long bolt in the rear suspension that broke for me (I did the suspension and brakes too) and that took about a week to get sorted.

Basically, it's a pain, but you learn a lot about how cars are made. Personally, I'm glad I did it just too see the tricks they use and how you build a car. If you have a spare car, go for it.
johnpaul76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
CBXJ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 265789
Vehicle:
1997 o/bX2 & ImpzX2
RED, White, Blue Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by camlupi View Post
how much did it end up costing you ?
Cost, well keep in mind I'm in Canada so everything is more..shipping anything is REALLY more. I didn't keep close track, and since i ended up buying a engine and tranny, I sold the tranny and flywheel..
anyway,, a list as it comes to mind
Eng tranny wiring ecu downpipe.. 2000
clutch stage one 400
used cross member (should have just modded mine) 100
used steering rack (my old rack didnt fit the new Xmember) 100
mod my steering link 50
custom 3in exhaust from downpipe to bumper 250
Sold the tranny and flywheel -350
intercoolersprayer-- horse traded for some other parts
resurface flywheel 55
Timing belt, plugs, airfiler, fluids, ect (a bunch of u might as well) 200
Fuel pump, alignment, 350