Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday November 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
subiedude676
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 241369
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Premium
Ice Silver Metallic

Default Hard shifting when cold after ATF change.

Hey guys, quick question for you..

I did an automatic transmission fluid change a few days ago, basically replaced what came out after a few times, and now it seems as if when the car is put into gear from a cold overnight start it shifts a lot harder now that i changed it than it used to before i changed the atf in the car. I used the Subaru spec ATF-HP. Before I changed the fluid I never had an issue with a hard shift going from 1st to second and so on.

Any ideas as to what could be making the tranny shift harder? I read somewhere that after an atf change I should disconnect the battery overnight so that the engine ecu can reset itself and that could help the transmission since it is used to the older fluid being in it.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
subiedude676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
90BJ Legacy LS ABS
AWD 946 Rio Red Jpn built

Low fluid would be my first guess if nothing else changed.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Rally Monkey
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 36310
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
03 WRX Sedan
Silver

Did you check the fluid level with the car running? I use a measuring funnel after taking out ATF. That way I know how much to put back.

Last edited by Rally Monkey; 02-10-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Rally Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
subiedude676
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Premium
Ice Silver Metallic

Thanks for the replies, after I drained fluid out I did measure what was taken out and I put the same amount of fresh fluid back into the transmission.

And yes, I have checked the fluid with the car running and even though its difficult to get an accurate measurement, it seems like it is the correct full level when hot and running.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

get better fluid
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Jerry_NJ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 233288
Vehicle:
2004 Forester

Better than Subaru fluid?

I just did my first 30,000 mile ATF pan dump at 55,000 - I posted on this elsewhere and gave a few tips an noted how simple it is... but

I used Valvoline Max Life, claims to be helpful for tranys with more than 75,000 miles, more than I have.

I too measured how much came out, it was 4 quarts maybe an oz or two more. I put 1 gallon of Valvoline back in, yes using a long neck funnel (could Subaru put the check/fill tube in a more inconvenient location?).

As for using the dip stick to measure how full the trany is, I find it almost impossible to dip the level without "wetting" the whole dipstick. I have the same problem with the oil dip stick. What is the trick to get a "dip" line that is a clean line? Do I first have to run a "pipe cleaner" down the dip tube before putting the dip stick in?
Jerry_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
AZP Installs
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 40160
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

My thoughts are that when it is cold the fluid may be a hair low causing the rough shifts. We have seen this in slightly low filled ATs. We use either Subaru AT-HP or Amsoil ATF or Redline High Temp ATF.

Did you change the filter when you did the drain/fill? We do a drain/fill as part of all of our 30k services on AT cars as it is a cheap insurance policy.

-mike

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
subiedude676
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Premium
Ice Silver Metallic

I actually did not change the filter right away, I picked up a new filter that I am going to be putting on the transmission tomorrow morning. I also picked up an extra quart of the Subaur ATF-HP. I am guessing it might be a hair low since the fluid is cold and hasn't had a chance to expand when it warms up. I am going to put the new filter on and add some more of the ATF-HP to see if that helps or not.

Thanks for the reply!