Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 10, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
tegulizard13
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 241922
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
RIP '02 WRX Stg. 2
WRB

Default Misfire (all cylinders) and a squeak

I have a 2002 wrx with turboback exhaust, GM boost solenoid, and a tune. Until now it has run perfectly.
Last weekend I installed a new oil pan + windage tray + pickup tube. While I was threading the dipstick tube back into place I gave the timing belt cover a pretty good hit and cracked it. I removed part of the cover to make sure I hadn't damaged anything and then finished the install.

It should be noted that I have had misfire issues on cylinder 1 before, which I was able to clear up by cleaning my injectors.

When I start the car I can feel that it is misfiring slightly, and with each misfire (shudder) I can hear a short squeaking/chirping sound, it sounds very much like a belt squeaking. The sound/misfire happens only intermittently, and I can only hear this sound or notice any misfire when the car is idling at a complete standstill. When I removed the side sections of the timing belt cover I was able to narrow the sound down to the front right side of the engine bay, but was unable to verify if it was the belt making the noise. I drove 0.7 miles to a garage I could work in with some light, and as I was pulling in I got a CEL.

I hadn't thrown a CEL before this, so I was interested to know if it was just letting me know there were some misfires. I loaded up Learning View, you can see the results below.

How worried should I be that there is a chirp/squeak each time I feel a misfire?
Any help would be appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
tegulizard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
tegulizard13
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
RIP '02 WRX Stg. 2
WRB

Nobody has any speculations they would like to share? Nobody even wants to tell me I've been stupid?

I'm going to remove the entire timing belt cover, look for damage, and make sure everything lines up.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
REDrexsti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 283553
Vehicle:
2004 wrx
jbp

Start with the basics...spark and fuel. Also, did you check the entire timing belt over and maybe check for debris behind the timing cover?
REDrexsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
tegulizard13
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
RIP '02 WRX Stg. 2
WRB

I did check behind both of the side pieces of the timing belt cover for debris, but won't have a strap wrench till later today or the weekend to get the crank pulley off so I can pull off the rest of the timing belt cover. I checked the timing belt for any damage or scratches and it looks like it's perfectly fine, no scratches or wear anywhere that I saw.

It would be really great if it was just a fueling issue or spark plugs or something causing this, but I would still be worried about the squeak/chirp that happens with each misfire. It makes me wonder if the sound is just a symptom of the engine shuddering slightly due to the misfire, or if there is actually damage somewhere causing the sound.

If I can i'll try to get some video where the sound is audible, but it generally is pretty quiet. I'll do my best.

Last edited by tegulizard13; 02-27-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: To make me look less stupid
Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
tegulizard13
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
RIP '02 WRX Stg. 2
WRB

I took the timing belt cover off so I could see if the belt had skipped or something. This is what I found:

I lined up the crankshaft. You'll have to trust me that it's lined up, it was difficult to get my phone down in there to take pictures.

Top left (driver's side) looks lined up to me. Again; I'm off to the side slightly, so it doesn't look perfectly lined up in this picture.

In the pictures I have seen these timing marks never line up perfectly, but they look a bit far off to me.

Top right looked good to me as well.

The timing marks on the right side (passenger) looked a little off to me as well.

I've never done my timing belt, so I'm not sure how perfectly lined up all of these marks usually are. Does it look like I skipped a tooth to anyone?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
tegulizard13
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
RIP '02 WRX Stg. 2
WRB

Late update.

My roommate and I were able to redo the timing in the street outside of my apartment. We left in the radiator fans, didn't drain any coolant, etc, so didn't have a whole ton of room to maneuver.
My battery died during the few cold weeks I couldn't find time to work on this, so even once the timing was set I couldn't start the car to find out if I had succeeded.

But then a friend jumped my car, and I went and got a new battery and drove around for a while.
So far so good! I've been pushing it a little more each time I drive it and it looks like all my issues are fixed.
I might have a slight oil leak from my turbo oil-return line, and a bit of oil on a bolt somewhere is undoubtedly what has been making the squeaking sound.
I would call this a success, and more so because I managed to complete the timing in the street oustide of my apartment.

In the future I would highly recommend removing the radiator fans, coolant lines, etc, from the front so there is more room to work. Obviously it is possible to do your timing without doing this, but the chances of you wanting to kill innocent bystanders increases considerably.