Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
luisangelbalderas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 296609
Default 2011 wrx stage 2 log help

Hello All,

I am concerned that my stage 2 tune is not set appropriately. Can someone please help me read and comment on my logs (link below)? All feedbacks are greatly appreciated.

The logs do not include Knock feedback as the RR Feedback option disappears as soon as I connect my laptop to my cars ecu.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...iR1hwNlE#gid=0

Thank you,

Luis
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by luisangelbalderas; 02-13-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Format issues
luisangelbalderas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
maxg1989
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 293057

Well you IAM isn't at 1 which it should be so your not getting full spark advance. its close but not at 1. Which mean somewhere along the line your car either knocked or picked up false knock while it was in rough spark correction mode. Scan it with "learning view" save a screen shot and post that. Also If you could log knock correction advance that will help more too.

What i usually log when tuning:
Engine speed
Engine load calculated * (wont be available until your connected)
Fine learning Knock
Feed Back nock correction
Knock Correction Advance
Ignition total timing
IAM
Manifold Pressure corrected PSI.
Throttle %
Mass air flow
Wastegate duty cycle (not necisarry)

Also you can save these parameters so they pop up each time you open Rom Raider connected.

You were also hitting 19+Psi what are you targeting?
maxg1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
luisangelbalderas
Scooby Newbie

Hey Max,

I can see the feedback knock correction while running romraider, but as soon as i connect to the car, the feedback knock option dissapears.
Also, my target boost is 19psi, i might be overboosting due to my tsudo downpipe.

Let me read a little bit more on "learning view" so i can log I and post results. I should have this done by tomorrow night.

Thanks for your help.

Luis
Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
maxg1989
Scooby Newbie

Learning view is super easy, just connect your computer like you are logging turn your key on and hit connect, then there is a button that says something like screen shot which should save a picture, Post that up, and ill explain it all to you its a great tool! Ill try and find a link so you can download it.

as far as you boost spike, Your not that far out of wack only about a half a pound. is this a professional tune or did you make it?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
maxg1989
Scooby Newbie

here is the learning view Thanks to merchgod for creating it! amazing tuning tool.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=32&t=7397
Old 02-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
luisangelbalderas
Scooby Newbie

Hey Max,

Thanks for the link. This is what i got!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...I60IX7CA/edit#

I appreciate you teaching me how use learning view.

Thanks,

Luis
Old 02-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
luisangelbalderas
Scooby Newbie

Hey Max,

Do you know why it is that my RomRaider Feedback Knock option goes away after i turn my ignition to the "on" position?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #8
Dartholomew
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 208771
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
OBP

In Romraider, the parameter list is different when you're not connected to the ECU. On mine, FBKC isn't available until the tactrix is connected and on. Try looking through the full option list again after you've connected. Also, make sure your logger definition file is up to date, that could make a difference too.
Dartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
maxg1989
Scooby Newbie

agreed ^^ other then that i would have to see what it is doing.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
luisangelbalderas
Scooby Newbie

Yeah...I'm not sure whats going on. My romraider used to work fine until my cpu crashed. Just like darholomew said, once connected to my car, the knock options would appear.

Now its the complete opposite. I can see the options prior to connecting. Once connected, knock feedback dissapears.

Max, did you get a chance to look at my learning view log?

Thanks,

Luis
Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
Dartholomew
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 208771
Vehicle:
2009 WRX
OBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisangelbalderas View Post
Yeah...I'm not sure whats going on. My romraider used to work fine until my cpu crashed. Just like darholomew said, once connected to my car, the knock options would appear.

Now its the complete opposite. I can see the options prior to connecting. Once connected, knock feedback dissapears.

Max, did you get a chance to look at my learning view log?

Thanks,

Luis
I've had some problems with Romraider logger connecting to the ECU properly. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, and reset all the vehicle and logger definition files, and that fixed it. Make sure your defs are up to date, when your CPU crashed you may be using different ones.
Dartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
maxg1989
Scooby Newbie

Haven't had a chance to take a close look cause I'm at work, but when I get home I will look and tell you what I think.

Also what was going on that made you feel as if the tue was off? Did the car act or feelfunny?

I'll get back to you asap.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
luisangelbalderas
Scooby Newbie

Well initially, i logged my car and had crazy RPM fluctuations. Being that i had no idea of what was causing the RPM fluctuation, i posted my log up (post: 2011 Wrx Transmission Slip Help!).
With the help of NASOIC memebers (moonrider_99 and Jtraction-Thanks guys!), It later turned out to be that the RPM fluctuation was due to my clutch.

However, someone commented that my tune was messed up, but that is all they said. No explanation on what was wrong, or why they thought it was wrong.

This is why i am concerned.

Luis
Old 02-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
maxg1989
Scooby Newbie

Ok just got home.

im going to try and explain learning veiw here.

Basically it takes a snap shot of a few very important things that are very helpful for tuning and can tell you if something is wrong
1. it can be used to check Check engine Light codes<<< Very helpful!!
2. It shows your cars Airflow learning Ranges. You want to see numbers in here of no more or less than +/- 5% ,+/-2% good and under +/-1% being great! this is located in the upper left hand corner uner "airflow ranges g/s"
3. One of the most important things it show is where the computer has stored fine learning knock. thats the big chart bottom half of the page. In that chart you can see that it has axis for load ranges and rpm ranges. if you car consitently knocks in one of those ranges the computer with store an amout of advance it takes away usually a negative number -1.05 -1.40 ect ect. this means once you enter that range while driving of both load and rpm the ecu will automatically take away whatever degrees of timing it has in that table to prevent knock, Its kind of like a safe gaurd. Say you car knocked at 4500 RPM at 2.75 load and you were at like 15 degrees total advance the computer will learn this and start to pull timing. first it will pull i believe 1 degree and if that fixes the knock, then it will store it so you will see a -1.05 in learning view. so the next time you hit that RPM and Range you instead of 15 * you will only be at 14* but you wont knock.
4. Learning view also shows you IAM (ignition advance multiplier) Anything less than 1 in the new ecu's and it has knocked and lowered your spark advance across the entire board. Your goal is to keep that at 1 at all times! If its not, that mean your Ecu is not happy and is pulling advance. There are a couple of key tables that come into calculating total ignition timing. First is Base timing, then knock correction advance. and IAM and then your compensation tables. So base + (knock correction advance x IAM)+compensation tables= total timing. So as you can see if you dont have and IAM of 1 your not getting full advance from your Knock correction advance table. Say you have a knock advance valuce of 10* for a giving rpm/load cell, times that by 1 and you still have 10* to add to base timing of the same cell, well have an IAM of .93 and 10x .93 = 9.3* so the computer will take advance.

Learning view also shows other info suck as ECU id Rom id and various other things. It can also reset your ecu to which is also helpful to clear a code that may continue to pop up under certain conditions. ( i have a knock sensor code i get when it rains and i use it to clear this light)
Old 02-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
maxg1989
Scooby Newbie

Now lets look at your learning view and see whats going on.

First of i looked for you ".9375"1under 1, not good, but not as bad as it could be either. this means its knocked while in rough knock correction mode.

second i looked at your Airflow ranges, they seem to all be spot on, i take it you have stock intake... This is why you see people with after market intakes run like **** because they haven't rescaled there MAF properly and they get crazy numbers in here. everything looks fine to me here.

third i looked at your fine learning knock correction table. right off the bat you see "-1.05 in the first cell for the load range of 0-less than 1.30 and between 0-3200 RPM. Go to the next cell over and you see a positive number of .44 that means its adding advance there. you will only ever see a positive number in this table if you do not have a IAM of 1 a dead give away if you happen to miss looking at you IAM. The thing that concerns me the most is that you have a -1.40 in a possibly pretty high load area of 2.0-<5.00 and 3200-4400 RPM although you dont want to see any knock at all, you really really really dont want to see high load knock. This is where you will destroy your motor in a heart beat as you cylinder is seeing pressures it was never even close to being designed to handle.

the thing that throws me off a little bit and makes this specific learning view hard to use and make helpfull is that it doesn't have very good resolution Meaning if you look it has RPM ranges from 5600-10000 rpm, your car will hopefully never see 10,000 rpm so all the cells under that are useless. same thing for load. is got ranges for 2.00-5.00 and then 5.00+ .and again hopefull your car would never see much over 3.for load from 2.0-5.0 there is a huge differance, say if the load ranges were like .0-.70 .80-1.10 1.20-2 2.10-3 and the rpm's 0-800 900-1200 1300-2500 2600-3100 ect ect this would make the resolution higher as you would be using all of the chart rather then half of it. And im not sure why your learning view is like this, could be how some of your tables are set up such at you timing table, but idk.

ok so back to the point what does all this mean? well it means you need to log the car some more and see where exactly fine learning knock is taking out advance, do 2-3 .2000-close to redline runs WATCH FOR ANY SIGNS OF KNOCK IF IT OCCURS LET OFF, if you get it working look at feedback knock correction and watch IAM to see if it drops. Also you could be knocking in those higher load areas due to not being rich enough. what is your primary open loop table set at?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
luisangelbalderas
Scooby Newbie

Hey Maxg,

First, i would like to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for taking the time to explain this to me. Most people wouldn't have taken the time, yet you did. So again, thank you!

Also, in order to receive your help, i first need to fix my laptop. For some my romraider and ecuflash are not working. I can't explain why. I have erased and re installed romraider and ecu flash, have uploaded the latest definitions to the right files, even re-installed Java, and still nothing.

Let me get my cpu fixed so i can answer your questions accordingly and log the 3 runs you have asked for.

Iwill buy a new laptop by the end of week if i can't romraider or ecuflash to work.

I will P.M. you once i get my laptop issues resolved so that i don't waist your time.

Thanks,

Luis
Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
maxg1989
Scooby Newbie

Hey your very welcome, only
Doing what inwould want someone to do for me. I made it a little confusing, when your doing your 2000-redline runs you will see the -1.40 pop up, this will be normal as it is stored in your computer as a safe guard, we actually want to see it so we know where it knocked at before. it's more important that you dont see the iam drop like a rock or crazy high numbers under feedback knock correction such as -4 or less. But if you have been running this map for a while now you should be totally fine to do the runs so we can fine tune it.

As far as getting rom raider and ecu flash to work, what operating system are you running?
I know for my windows 7 machine I had to be a little sneaky to get RR to install correctly but it wouldn't even start. So we would have two different problems. Like everyone said before, triple check you have the most current rom raider and ecu defs and that they are loaded correctly.
Let me know if you get it working hope this all helps.