Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday September 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
SynME
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 282245
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX
Graphite

Default Steering Angle Sensor Bad - DTC C0054/C0071/C0047 - Help?

Hi all,

I have an '08 WRX. I had PDX Tuning replace the power train with an STI power train, and install a DCCDPro controller. Beyond that, the power train and electronics are stock.

I recently started seeing the following light combination on my dash:

The Hill Start Assist disabled, the traction control, and the ABS lights all come on together. This would happen after about 25 minutes of driving, though tonight it happened within a couple as I made a left turn.

I tried to pull the error codes with the AccessPort, but it said there were not active error codes. I then did the light/odometer button trick and pulled the following:

A - P ----
B - P (blink)
A - C0054 / C0071 / C0047

I looked these up, and it seems to be pointing to a CAN bus issue (C0047) with the steering angle sensor (C0071). The C0054 indicates a bright light switch open, so maybe that's unrelated?

I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting this as I've not dealt with the electronics of the car before. Any ideas?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SynME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
SynME
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX
Graphite

So, anyone?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1998 Ram 2500
Green.

Whoa. Fun.

Check the wiring from the ABS module back to the firewall. Make sure the connection at the ABS module is good and free from corrosion, and then look at the wire loom to see if the split on the loom is up. Make sure there isn't any water pooled up in the wire loom.

I've heard of some odd ABS codes popping up due to water in the wire loom.

The diagnostic procedures for this have you checking to verify that the brake switch is functioning properly, as well as the steering angle sensor, the yaw sensor, and then verifying the ABS module. It could be an intermittent open in the system, or a malfunctioning ABS module.

All of these codes are related and I've got money on it being a common problem. They all tie into the ABS control module (integrated with the ABS pump) which talks with the steering angle sensor, yaw sensor, lateral G sensor, brake switch - it's all tied together with the VDC which communicates with the ECM&BIU.

Call PDX and find out if anything they did with your car would have an impact on the wiring for the VDC system. I haven't been over there to PDX in eons, but I've got nothing but good things to say about them.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
danetrainer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 101076

I'm about to chase down a similar issue with my friends 09 Forester (ABS/VDC).
His issue started when his wife banged a curb with the right front and threw the steering off.
The Yaw and G sensor are determining if the car is going strait and level, the steering angle has to be less than 5-7 degrees of what "zero" was set at when it was centered and recorded.
Your problem may be as simple as re-centering & recording the zero point.
I've done this on the Forester twice, yet within about a week or so, it sets the fail code again.
My next step is to run figure 8's and determine if I have an intermittent wheel speed sensor signal, I may need to replace or the bearing/reluctor assy.
Or what the previous post stated a communication error in the Lan/Can bus.
One thing that is important to consider is ANY added sound system or electronic components that can create RF "noise", dissconnect them until your problem is resolved...or determine they may be causing the problem.
danetrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
danetrainer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 101076

Ran across several posts that stated that replacing the brake switch cured the codes you have.
danetrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
SynME
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX
Graphite

So... odd thing. A few days later, the errors went away. I still haven't seen them show up. Maybe there was some water somewhere shorting it out. Not sure. Sorry I couldn't provide some more concrete feedback to the solution. Maybe it will show up again?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Calboy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 316628
Default c0071

My 2010 Subaru Impreza is throwing a c0071 code too and I cannot figure out what is wrong with it. I bought the car wrecked and rebuilt it. The drivers airbag did blow so I had to replace it along with the clockspring and the steering angle sensor. I took it to Subaru and they said I needed to replace the steering angle sensor because the one I put is was bad. So I replaced it AGAIN and $300 later I got the same story from the dealership!

I replaced the sensor with a brand new OEM one and I know I did it correctly. I've been rebuilding cars for nearly 10 years so I know what I'm doing. I found another shop with a scanner that would read the code and he said that for some reason the sensor wasn't changing when the wheel was turned. When I first installed the sensor the traction control light went off for about 100 yards then came back on so I know it works.

Does anybody have any more ideas on what it could be? I've tried everything I can think of so any input would be much appreciated.
Calboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
G1nkgo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 301686
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
white

did anyone here that had steering wheel angle sensor problems have a really rough idle or stall?
G1nkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #9
Elbert Bass
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 283429
Vehicle:
1995 Chevy S-10
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calboy View Post
My 2010 Subaru Impreza is throwing a c0071 code too and I cannot figure out what is wrong with it. I bought the car wrecked and rebuilt it. The drivers airbag did blow so I had to replace it along with the clockspring and the steering angle sensor. I took it to Subaru and they said I needed to replace the steering angle sensor because the one I put is was bad. So I replaced it AGAIN and $300 later I got the same story from the dealership!

I replaced the sensor with a brand new OEM one and I know I did it correctly. I've been rebuilding cars for nearly 10 years so I know what I'm doing. I found another shop with a scanner that would read the code and he said that for some reason the sensor wasn't changing when the wheel was turned. When I first installed the sensor the traction control light went off for about 100 yards then came back on so I know it works.

Does anybody have any more ideas on what it could be? I've tried everything I can think of so any input would be much appreciated.
C0071 has 19 detail codes that direct you to 4 different diagnostic procedures. You would be looking for C0071 followed by something like 2143H. You probably need to use an SMIII or some other high dollar scan tool to read that detail code.

When you have replaced the SAS have you had the thing zeroed? That will definitely screw you up - a new sensor must be calibrated and codes cleared.
Elbert Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
Noprettygrl
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 315298
Vehicle:
2012 WRX PREMIUM
BLACK

Default Traction Control/hill assist lights staying on

Hey this looks familiar to me. Help! I have a 2012 Premium WRX and the traction control and hill assist dash lights come on and stay on when starting only when its below zero. The dealer has been trying to fix the problem since January. The have replaced the battery,Yaw sensor, VDC Control module and Hydraulic Control Unit, none of these 'fixes' worked and the car is now back at the dealer. They are telling me now they are going to replace the angle sensor. Has anyone else had any of these multiple issues? This is the 4th time i have had to drive around in a rental while they try and figure out whats going on with it.
Noprettygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
Noprettygrl
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 315298
Vehicle:
2012 WRX PREMIUM
BLACK

My car starts hard for a 2012 when its below zero, and dash lights hill assist and traction control lights stay on and the dealer has replaced many things trying to figure out whats going on with it. They are currently replacing the angle sensor to see if that works.
Noprettygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #12
dirtysti05
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 248577
Vehicle:
2010 wrx sti
blue

how do you zero the steering angle sensor? I had a new steering rack put in my car and now i have lights galore on the dash. dealer tells me steering sensor but want 579 to replace it. can it be recalibrated? or zeroed back without crazy dealer pricing?
dirtysti05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
HyG3nx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 355826
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
09 WRX hatch
DGM

So it just happened to me as well. About two weeks ago had my steering rack replaced along with ABS module (damn abs unit is crazy expensive). Then just yesterday my vdc light and hill assist light are stuck on. uuhhgg. no codes from AP, however, found out how to pull the DTC on dash board and these popped up:

Joy.
HyG3nx is offline   Reply With Quote