Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 26, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Old 02-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 289410
Default Subaru svx 6sp swap

Hey guys I've been saving up money to do a complete makeover on my 92 Subaru svx. I keeping the same motor just rebuilding, swapping internals, and turbo. I don't like to drive an automatic and I don't know what I need to do to make it 6sp so if you know anyone who did this before and you can help me find out that would be awesome
Subaru92Svx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 265799
Chapter/Region: South East

The 4.44 Auto swap is worth it have you ever considered that? I just finished and it improves the car so much with the new 4.44 Final gear ratio and its really easy as long you keep the shims on the side plates while swapping the rear diff around. MPG is better and the car is now fast.

Here are the instructions for a 5 speed swap not my words its from a PDF a guy wrote for guys like us.

This is for a 5 speed swap no really good info on six speeds but very similar anyways.

Here is what you need below

1. A 5-Speed tranny with the matching rear diff. and shifter (with the boot) from a Legacy or Impreza (I used an Impreza one), It needs to have a cable activated clutch fork to go with my set-up, hydraulic is possible, but would be much more complicated to install, and add components to the list. I prefer the K.I.S.S. engineering points (Keep It Simple Stupid) to make it as easy as possible.

2. A Manual flywheel from a Legacy (not a turbo) or Impreza (I used one from a Legacy), be sure to get the flywheel bolts and the pressure plate bolts with the flywheel.

3. A manual pedal assembly, including the cable , I believe that the best match would be the early Legacy pedal assemblies, which from looking at the diagrams seams to be close to the assembly in the SVX, but you will probably have to do some cutting and retro-fitting onto the original SVX assembly, as I had to do with mine.

4. If you're lucky enough to have the component drive-shaft you can have the front section lengthened 2" (as the manual tranny is 2" shorter than the auto one), if not I advise you order one, I had an extension machined to mount to the front of the rear diff., which also meant I had to relocate the carrier bearing 2" forward, which would not be necessary if I had, had the component drive-shaft instead of the non-component one (you can't disassemble the non-component one to put in a lathe).

5. Of course you'll need a new clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and a new pilot bearing. I recommend getting a high performance clutch & pressure plate, as the stock Legacy one (which I used), won't handle the extra torque that the 3.3 has under hard driving, but works fine for day to day driving.

6. You'll need some misc. steel, about 18" of " solid round Cold Rolled Steel (this is used for
lengthening the shifter rods) and some " plate for making some modified motor mounts. And access to a welder (also for the shifter rods). And a 1" hole saw for cutting the hole in the firewall to run the clutch cable through.

7. Of course you'll need new grease for the tranny and the rear diff. And a couple cans of black paint (you want it to look good don't you!) and a few cans of brake and parts cleaner, along with some hand cleaner (you're going to need it).
I think that's about it for the "What you need " list.

After you get all that stuff remove

1. The auto transmission

2. The automatic's flex plate (or flywheel if you prefer).

3. The driver's seat (for better access).

4. The center console.

5. The shifter (you can just take out the row of bolts around the bottom, remove and presto! You've got a big hole in your floor).

6. The steering column (a bit of a pain, but makes the pedals MUCH easier).

7. The dash (I didn't take mine out, so it's not necessary, but would make the removing the pedals that much easier).

8. If you opt not to take out the dash, you'll still need to remove the TCU and CPU (the TCU doesn't get reinstalled) for better access to the pedal assembly.

9. The pedal assembly (unbolt the gas pedal and leave in the car)

If your still interested let me know I will copy and paste the installation again these are not my words.
D3F0 is offline   Reply With Quote