Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan SGM
Let LED's light your way!

Default Engine sounds like a diesel or rocks rolling around after cold start

When I start the car in the morning, the engine of course goes into warm-up high-idle.

I let the engine run at this speed for about 30-seconds and then lightly tap the gas pedal. Similar to the carburetors of the past, the idle kicks down to a more moderate speed.

Sometimes when I lightly tap the gas pedal to drop the idle down, I can hear the engine 'rumble' when I am doing so for that split-second.

Once the idle has dropped, there is no such 'rumble'. But, after about a few more to lets say 30-seconds after the idle has dropped, I will then begin to drive. When I do so, this 'rumble' is pronounced when lightly feathering the gas pedal. It does not matter if I am going forward or backward - the direction of motion (drivetrain) is not the cause of this 'rumble'.

There are occasions where I will feather the gas pedal after the high idle has dropped but before I drive just to see if this 'rumble sound' is there and it is.

But, whether the gas is feathered with or without driving, the 'rumble' will always abruptly stop and the engine makes no such noises thereafter.

Based on the information I could find, could this be the AVCS or a timing-belt tensioner?

Another way to describe this 'rumble' is to equate it to an emissions valve failing and allowing exhaust to recycle. I do not have the air-feed system anymore and have block-off plates on each head. But, when the air-feed valves were in place, the driver's side valve, during the winter, was freezing due to water accumulation. As a result, this secondary valve would stick open until it warmed up, causing an exhaust rumble back-feed through it.

This engine 'rumble' sound is similar to that. This is the best way I can describe it.

The engine is stock, but the car is tuned and modded and so I am my own warranty, which is not at all a problem.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Big-E; 02-22-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
REDrexsti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 283553
Vehicle:
2004 wrx
jbp

So it makes the sound only when it's cold? Or also on warm starts as well?
REDrexsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Tdaz250
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 310744
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
WRB

How cold is it outside when this happens?
Tdaz250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 123843
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Sedan SGM
Let LED's light your way!

Around freezing to 40 or 45 degrees.

Today I went to work and the car sat for about five hours. I started it and no sound.

It's as if something is sticking and then instantly works and the noise goes away.

I'll probably pull the covers to the timing belt, put everything back in place and then start it the next morning and look at the timing belt tensioner and idler pulleys. Maybe next weekend if I have time.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
bangedlegacywagon97
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 215017
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
97OB 2004 civic
:-)

Does it consume any oil? It might be stuck rings or just regular old piston slap
bangedlegacywagon97 is offline   Reply With Quote